• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

What Elijah believes?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:24 AM

May be we'll all just go crazy together.

I hear you brother. ;)

#32 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:18 PM

]

You should consider switching over from irregardless to irrespective. 

Wiki - Irregardless

Irregardless in popular culture:

In the Family Guy episode "Stewie Kills Lois" (Part 2), Stewie threatens to consign anyone who uses the word 'irregardless' to a work camp.

Posted Image

[tung]

#33 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:31 AM

I hear you brother. ;)

21st Century Schizoid Man
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#34 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:50 AM

I hear you brother. ;)

21st Century Schizoid Man

How could I forget Black Sabbath Paranoid

#35 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:31 PM

I don't really understand that Holy Spirit business - is that a religious experience too? Did you have mystical experiences on psychedelics?

Yes, the Holy Spirit is a religious experience too. If the Holy Spirit is working in your life it's noticeable to you.

And what if that's just a figment of your imagination? What is the religious part of that experience?

#36 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

I want to hear voices too :X

#37 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:35 AM

A large percentage of the population will be killed off during this period which can't be avoided. Some writers on biblical prophecy say we're entering the beginning stages now.

How would you suggest this relates to plain natural selection? ;))

I wouldn't call it "plain" though. More like God driven natural selection. And that's exactly how God operates. This is why you should study your Bible carefully and do what it says, so you can survive what's coming.

It's probably time for a history lesson about a movement into the opposite direction, towards freedom and free will, says grand-pa Brainbox [tung] . Unfortunately my favorite movie about this subject has been removed due to copyright issues.... But this one should do.

In case you think this is far fetched in the context of this discussion, think again.

Edited by brainbox, 21 November 2007 - 12:45 AM.

#38 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:02 AM

Removed contribution since it might be perceived as offensive and demagogue. I case I offended someone, my apologies are hopefully accepted.

Edited by brainbox, 23 November 2007 - 10:01 AM.

#39 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:42 PM

A large percentage of the population will be killed off during this period which can't be avoided. Some writers on biblical prophecy say we're entering the beginning stages now.

How would you suggest this relates to plain natural selection? :))

I wouldn't call it "plain" though. More like God driven natural selection. And that's exactly how God operates. This is why you should study your Bible carefully and do what it says, so you can survive what's coming.

It's probably time for a history lesson about a movement into the opposite direction, towards freedom and free will, says grand-pa Brainbox [tung] . Unfortunately my favorite movie about this subject has been removed due to copyright issues.... But this one should do.

<!--YouTube 425+350+http://www.youtube.com/v/wnYXbJ_bcLc--><object width='425' height='350'><param name='movie' value='http://www.youtube.com/v/wnYXbJ_bcLc' ></param><param name='wmode' value='transparent'></param><embed src='http://www.youtube.com/v/wnYXbJ_bcLc' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' width='425' height='350'></embed></object><!--End YouTube-->

In case you think this is far fetched in the context of this discussion, think again.

So what does this have anything to do with the tea in China?

#40 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

Removed contribution since it might be perceived as offensive and demagogue. I case I offended someone, my apologies are hopefully accepted.

I guess I missed that one. I've been out of circulation due to a major event here on the Bible campus I live on. Was it directed at me? Just curious. :smile:

#41 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

I don't really understand that Holy Spirit business - is that a religious experience too? Did you have mystical experiences on psychedelics?

Yes, the Holy Spirit is a religious experience too. If the Holy Spirit is working in your life it's noticeable to you.

And what if that's just a figment of your imagination? What is the religious part of that experience?

That's one of those things you just know to be real when it happens. The religious part of the experience is the changed life. You give up a lot of sin or bad practices that are harmful to yourself and others.

#42 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:01 PM

this seems like a good place to repost one of my favorite images.

Attached Files

#43 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:30 PM

Seems like a good spot to post one of my favorite quotes that says science is lacking an essential aspect of knowledge and needs to be uplifted.

This Series endeavors to point to a reality of which scientific theory has revealed only one aspect. It is the commitment to this reality that lends universal intent to a scientist's most original and solitary thought. By acknowledging this frankly we shall restore science to the great family of human aspirations by which men hope to fulfill themselves in the world community as thinking and sentient beings. For our problem is to discover a principle of differentiation and yet relationship lucid enough to justify and to purify scientific, philosophic and all other knowledge, both discursive and intuitive, by accepting their interdependence. This is the crisis in consciousness made articu­late through the crisis in science. This is the new awakening.

#44 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:35 AM

[/quote=brainbox]
So what does this have anything to do with the tea in China?

Dogma's, whether political or religious, will result in polarisation and literally result in walls between groups adhering different and opposing dogma's.
It should be our goal to tear down these walls instead of building them.

How would you suggest this relates to plain natural selection? ;))

What would you need to do to protect you from the groups that do not read the bible but adhere to another book?
I think it's disgusting to read your point of view and this complies to my idea of fundamentalist religious movements to strive for peace for their own followers only (read the bible or else you're doomed). And what you are effectively promoting is to help natural selection a bit to let this happen by stating the above. Presenting this active initiative as a prophecy does not relieve religious movements of taking their own responsibility in this. I mean the responsibility to become sufficiently pragmatic to start dialogs with other movements with the goal to find a form of peace where all of humanity will have the possibility to survive, regardless the fact they read the bible or not. In stead of allowing the development of a situation in which increased polarisation will inadvertently result in war.

This is THE paradox of religion. Religion equals natural selection. Read the bible or die. :ang:

#45 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:45 AM

I think it's disgusting to read your point of view and this complies to my idea of fundamentalist religious movements to strive for peace for their own followers only

We strive for peace for all who are willing to follow the right path. This is the only way for peace to be achieved.

Presenting this active initiative as a prophecy does not relieve religious movements of taking their own responsibility in this. I mean the responsibility to become sufficiently pragmatic to start dialogs with other movements with the goal to find a form of peace where all of humanity will have the possibility to survive, regardless the fact they read the bible or not.

You misunderstand the Word of God. There is only one plan and one prophecy. "You snooze you loose." What you're asking is that sincere Bible believers disobey what their book clearly says. This is not logical or reasonable.

Edited by elijah3, 28 November 2007 - 12:49 AM.

#46 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:50 AM

What you're asking is that sincere Bible believers disobey what their book clearly says. This is not logical or reasonable.

Nor is it logical or reasonable to put your faith in a book that has been showed many, many times over to be contradictory and just flat out incorrect in places.

#47 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:52 AM

The bible promotes to love thy neighbour like yourself. Ah, now I understand, you need to love him by converting him to christianity. If he does not comply to that he stops being your neighbour. Now that makes a lot of sense, doesn't it. :ohmy:

#48 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:52 AM

Elijah what will you believe if nothing happens as you expect, let alone for reasons you respect or understand?

#49 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:00 AM

He did not mention a date for this prophecy to start enrolling itself.
But by defending this position there's a huge chance of it becoming self fulfilling.
Active biblical selection. Read it or die.

#50 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:13 AM

What you're asking is that sincere Bible believers disobey what their book clearly says. This is not logical or reasonable.

Nor is it logical or reasonable to put your faith in a book that has been showed many, many times over to be contradictory and just flat out incorrect in places.

The book is just misunderstood. Here, try this booklet at http://www.gnmagazine.org/booklets/UB/.

#51 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:21 AM

The bible promotes to love thy neighbour like yourself. Ah, now I understand, you need to love him by converting him to christianity. If he does not comply to that he stops being your neighbour. Now that makes a lot of sense, doesn't it. :ohmy:

It's all on that person to comply. We're still required to love him whether he's an unbeliever or an enemy. Matthew 5:43-44. There's a lot of wisdom in that verse if you can comprehend it and practice it.

#52 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:35 AM

Elijah what will you believe if nothing happens as you expect, let alone for reasons you respect or understand?

It's already happening in my life. It's something I can't deny. Others who know me admit the same.

I'm starting to experience modest success at the Bible campus I live on. There was recently a settlement in the lawsuit against us that allowed us to survive. We have three families and a few other individuals who are strongly interested in joining us to form a communal group.

We hope to set the prototype for future groups to emulate so they can prepare themselves to practice radical life extension.

#53 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:36 AM

The book is just misunderstood. Here, try this booklet at http://www.gnmagazine.org/booklets/UB/.

Hitler was misunderstood, too.

(And, no I am not comparing the Bible to Hitler, just making a point. Perhaps the Bible is misunderstood, but I think it is by the people who think it is a 100% infallible book.)

#54 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:38 AM

There was recently a settlement in the lawsuit against us that allowed us to survive.

I take that to mean that you guys were successful in that lawsuit you had been talking about? Congratulations, and best of luck to you guys. :thumb:

#55 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:48 AM

Now let us consider the work of a theoretical thermodynamicist in contrast to the practitioner. If he's trying to extend the concepts of thermodynamics and insists on sticking with the same ground rules, viz-'knowable' equals 'experimentally verifiable,' then he, obviously, has to abide by the rule he insisted on. He may make various worthwhile contributions and many such scientists do, but his contributions, of necessity, will be of the same order; that is to say, they will be applicable only within the same dimensions as present day thermodynamics. But suppose our theoretician is examining the ground rules or foundations of thermodynamicsin the hopes of extending the range of applicability of thermodynamics. If he's a man who believes the only way to know anything is by the experimental method then he's right back in the same boat with our first theoretician. However, if he's a man who recognizes that there are ways of knowing other than the current scientific way a whole new world opens in front of him.

Unfortunately however, I believe, many scientists seem to carry the scientific mode of thinking over to all their thinking and, accordingly, believe that experimental verification is the only way of knowing anything. But this is an assumption on their part and nothing but an assumption. They have built up an elaborate picture of what reality is, although not necessarily incorrect, is nevertheless incomplete. They are looking only at a 'projection' of reality onto the 'plane' of the tangible and are assuming that the projection in which they make measurements is all there is to reality.

The scientist who says that the only way to know anything is to measure it, or its effects, by the scientific method is assuming, without the proof he ordinarily demands, that the scientific method is the sole means of gaining knowledge. He may think no one can know something via another means (inspiration, Revelation...) but he cannot prove that they can't by his scientific method. He's putting his faith in the scientific method which (I presume) he thinks is an objective reality in itself. But it isn't, because, at its roots, it is built upon what people think and believe, how they act and what they write in the scientific journals. He's trusting in a science which cannot say anything at all about how the universe as a whole is behaving.

Scientists who say we know only by measuring things are following the rules of the game of science, as we presently understand them, and this is understandable. But haven't they forgotten that most creative accomplishments in science involve or represent breaking the rules, taking speculative leaps of imagination?

So in short it is my opinion that science reflects the experimental, and religion the experiential (The big problem here being that most people associate religion and spirituality with dogmatic Christianity, which is a generalization). They are two aspects of the same impulse. When will men stop bickering and feuding over minor differences of opinion and unite and love one another? Both scientist and Christian are guilty of not doing this, and it is only when we see these two become compatible that true progress will be made on Earth.

#56 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:49 AM

He did not mention a date for this prophecy to start enrolling itself.
But by defending this position there's a huge chance of it becoming self fulfilling.
Active biblical selection. Read it or die.

I believe we're already in the beginning stages of the great tribulation mentioned in Revelation 7:13-17. Are you interested to know what the key of David is and where your place of safety lies?

#57 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:52 AM

There was recently a settlement in the lawsuit against us that allowed us to survive.

I take that to mean that you guys were successful in that lawsuit you had been talking about? Congratulations, and best of luck to you guys. :thumb:

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks for the congrats!

Edited by elijah3, 28 November 2007 - 01:54 AM.

#58 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:56 AM

Both scientist and Christian are guilty of not doing this, and it is only when we see these two become compatible that true progress will be made on Earth.

Makes sense to me.

Edited by elijah3, 28 November 2007 - 01:57 AM.

#59 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:04 AM

Ruth Nanda Anshen, who I quoted above, at http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=209873, must of knew something. She lived to be 103. See http://en.wikipedia....th_Nanda_Anshen.

#60 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:24 AM

It's all on that person to comply. We're still required to love him whether he's an unbeliever or an enemy. Matthew 5:43-44. There's a lot of wisdom in that verse if you can comprehend it and practice it.

Ok, I understand where you are coming from. I have a christian background therefore I know a lot about the good intentions of Christianity. So no need to teach me that.

My point is that movements that bank on the correctness of a single scripture are not effective anymore in the current world setting. Fusion is the key to success. You can observe this development in some aspects of society already. Other forms of religion do have an intrinsic intention that is good as well. In the bigger picture of evolution, religious polarisation have had it's uses for the survival of human society. I did elaborate on this in other threads, no time nor place to repeat all that in here. In the current situation our society evolved to, where the different religions are geologically mixed due to immigration and emigration, the single scripture dogmatics have become improductive to the survival of human society.

Now we have two choices. (1) Let the current tensions, already resulting in terrorist activities, increase to a level where we revert back to the former geographical separated religious situation, or (2) become smart and start to really love our neighbour regardless the books he reads. In the second option it is evidently important to leave the old scriptures behind as being the only right interpretation of common religious memes. Everyone is entitled to read the books he likes, but the arrogance of claiming to have the only right interpretation of human religious heritage is becoming very very dangerous.

Edited by brainbox, 28 November 2007 - 02:24 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users