• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

took the Braverman test, nootropic regime suggestions pls.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 comatoes

• 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:34 PM

hey everyone!
okey dokey, so I'm pretty much confused as hay about what my brain may be lacking as I suffer from; initally ADD, since about age 5 or so, reading (concentration) was a major problem. jumping around from school to school, country to country certainly didn't help either.
this lead to major drifting, job to job, never seeming to settle.... then to depression, social anxiety on top of the concentration issues which have gotten worse.
it's been a major spanner in the works for over a decade now and my family seems to be in denial that depression or ADD even exist. I don't kick up a stink about it and really try to be as 'normal' as possible even though inside it feels as though my heart is in my shoes, my head is in a dense fog and my nervous system is gridlocked with anxiety.
okey dokey, so here's my braverman test results, if anyone could suggest a basic nootropic regime as a starting point I'd really appreciate the insight as after attempting to read up on soo much online info I'm as confused as ever and really need help to kick start me outta this mindset.

The category with the greatest number of true responses will identify you dominant nature. A classically dominant nature is typically a score of 35 and above in any one category, which suggests a less-than-balanced life.
Note: When any other nature is 10-15 points lower than the dominant one, the nature with the lower score is probably a lifelong relative deficiency and needs balance even in times of good health. For example, if your score is 40 dopamine, 33 acetylcholine, 35 GABA, and 17 serotonin, you likely have long-standing deficiencies in both GABA and serotonin.

Section 1A = 22 Dopamine Nature
Section 2A = 35 Acetylcholine Nature
Section 3A = 22 GABA Nature
Section 4A = 22 Serotonin Nature

Part 2 Results

The highest number is your most deficient nature, the one that is most likely to lead to illness. Your deficient nature can be the same as or different from your dominant nature. In fact, you'll most likely recognize deficits in your dominant nature sooner than you would in other aspects of your bio-chemistry, simply because you are used to behaving and feeling a specific way.

Section 1B = 18 Dopamine Nature
Section 2B = 14 Acetylcholine Nature
Section 3B = 20 GABA Nature
Section 4B = 15 Serotonin Nature

from what I can gather here, it'd seem I'm deficient in dopamine/gaba/ and serotonin. there seems to be no mention of norepinephrine in these tests, and acetylcholine is new to me although I seem to have ample supply :o)

one other thing that baffles me slightly:

"When any other nature is 10-15 points lower than the dominant one, the nature with the lower score is probably a lifelong relative deficiency and needs balance even in times of good health. For example, if your score is 40 dopamine, 33 acetylcholine, 35 GABA, and 17 serotonin, you likely have long-standing deficiencies in both GABA and serotonin."

I can see serotonin being more than 15 points under the dominant (dopamine) but GABA is only 5, must be a typo or perhaps I'm analyzing the data wrong.

Piracetam and Hydergine initially was what got me thinking about Nootropics. lately though, I've been thinking first off with starting l-deprenyl (Selegeline) and perhaps combining this with piracetam or Aniracetam or pramiracetam (not sure which) for focus/mental clarity also adding to this 5-htp for serotonin. leaving GABA not sure what to try here, pure GABA? L-Theanine, Phenibut, Picamilon.

sorry to be such a pain with my specific needs, but really I'd like to get the ball rolling rather than keep attempting to self-diagnose and treat while still suffering all the symtoms.

thanks so much for hearing me out.
  • like x 1

#2 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:45 AM

Section 1A = 22 Dopamine Nature
Section 2A = 35 Acetylcholine Nature
Section 3A = 22 GABA Nature
Section 4A = 22 Serotonin Nature

Part 2 Results

Section 1B = 18 Dopamine Nature
Section 2B = 14 Acetylcholine Nature
Section 3B = 20 GABA Nature
Section 4B = 15 Serotonin Nature

Well it looks like you are pretty choline dominant so get to know the choline supps such as huperzine, alpha gpc, choline citrate, alcar, etc.

With regards to the other stuff I would just follow Braverman's suggestions in the book and regularly re-test yourself (part 2) to find out what you need to tweak. The most benefit comes from regular part 2 testing and supplement regimen adjustment. After a while you'll get really familiar with what all the brain chemistry in your head is doing and when to take what will become natural. If you start to memorize the part 2 questions and ask them to yourself regularly you can get an almost real time status report on your brain chemistry. I'd say it takes about 6 months of doing Part 2 tests about 3 times a week to really get it down.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pezzonovante

• 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:35 AM

What should be the goal of supplementation, if I were to base it on the results of the assessment -

Should I aim to shore up my deficient natures? Or strengthen my stronger ones?

I am strongly dopamine dominant, and deficient in primarily AcH but GABA and Serotonin to some degree as well. Can you make any recommendations for me? Thanks.

#4 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:31 PM

What should be the goal of supplementation, if I were to base it on the results of the assessment -

I am strongly dopamine dominant, and deficient in primarily AcH but GABA and Serotonin to some degree as well. Can you make any recommendations for me? Thanks.

For me, the primary goal of course is to shore up deficiencies as they appear due to stress and the normal tendencies of each person's particular brain chemistry. The second goal, at least for me, is personality exploration and self-knowledge. Having been deficient in GABA and Choline my entire life, I found these formerly undeveloped parts of my personality to be fascinating. It's a bit like being a computer nerd and taking up gardening :).

#5 pezzonovante

• 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:10 PM

For me, the primary goal of course is to shore up deficiencies as they appear due to stress and the normal tendencies of each person's particular brain chemistry. The second goal, at least for me, is personality exploration and self-knowledge. Having been deficient in GABA and Choline my entire life, I found these formerly undeveloped parts of my personality to be fascinating. It's a bit like being a computer nerd and taking up gardening :).

Ah I see. Having recently tried supplementation with Piracetam and CDPCholine, I got a glimpse at a different part of me that was very interesting. However, I found the effects to be very short lived and I quickly went back to my old self though I've kept up with my regimen. What are some other things that you have done to shore up those deficiencies? Also, what are some of the discoveries that you've made as a result of your experiences? I'm interested in your perspective as I have very similar deficiencies. But hopefully not for long :smile:

#6 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:14 PM

Here's a suggestion.

Don't rely on the braverman test for anything. It is not supported by a scrap of scientific literature.
  • dislike x 1

#7 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:29 AM

Ah I see. Having recently tried supplementation with Piracetam and CDPCholine, I got a glimpse at a different part of me that was very interesting. However, I found the effects to be very short lived and I quickly went back to my old self though I've kept up with my regimen. What are some other things that you have done to shore up those deficiencies? Also, what are some of the discoveries that you've made as a result of your experiences? I'm interested in your perspective as I have very similar deficiencies. But hopefully not for long :smile:

I wrote a big defense of the edge test and Braverman but I deleted it. If you want to wait for someone to get a grant from somewhere to study Braverman then you are free to wait. There's plenty of anecdotal reports on these forums about the effects of various nootropics and supplements and nobody shoots them down and rates the thread a 1-star because its not information from a formal scientific study.

Back on topic:

The thing is is after a while of taking the deficiency test and modifying supplement regimens you'll just know off the top of your head what's wrong at any moment and walk over to the supplement cabinet and grab l-phenylalanine, l-glutamine, choline, gaba ,etc. You'll understand the brain chemistry effects of various supplements and what brain chemicals they effect and modulate. About going back to your regular old self: You're pretty much stuck with your brain and its habits. Personality is the little crutches and strategies that each of us have worked out to deal with our particular brain behavior. With daily supplementation though you can at least live more comfortably and correct some of the more negative personality aspects.

One thing to try is to do some normal everyday activity that one dislikes that other people like. For instance, I hate clothes shopping. Totally boring, dull and slightly humiliating for me. Luckily I have relatives and significant others who will buy me nice clothes. I want to try to work on my personality so I apply Braverman. I correct my brain chemistry for what I think will make clothes shopping easier. Choline (creativity, appreciation of design) and Gaba (resistance to humiliation, order, conscientiousness) seem like the deficiencies to target so I'll do that. Low and behold clothes shopping feels different psychologically and somewhat easier when I do this kind of thing.

Remember, each person's brain is different. Braverman is a system of methods not a one-size fits all solution. If you don't read the book and "get" it. You will have a tough time applying it.
  • like x 1

#8 oneshot2shots

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

Anyone have torrents for this?? Can't find it anywhere.

I'm still on the fence about it I have taken the test with Dope, Ac, Gaba Serontonin 28,38,26,20.

Part 2 

Dope AC Gaba Serontonin 11 9 18 13.

Is this intended to mean that when you can identify that you are deficient in a certain neuro, you can simply supplement that Neuro?? I thought the problem with this was that supplementing this was dangerous in terms of upregulation and downregulation and homeostatis etc. I know I feel great after Phenibut. I also know I'm not supposed to take it everyday. Gotta say, this neurotransmitter explanation of life does make a lot of sense,I knew I was AC dominant after reading the description straight away(I also don't need Choline with racetams )and like to meditate and be by myself. However it seems to say that if you are AC dominant you need more choline. I'm looking to be more dophamine or serontonin dominant. I have a problem of not caring about anything, I just go with the flow, problems are not that big of a deal. Useful in its own way but I think I need dophamine in a lot of situations, so I can care about things more. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 HarbourValley

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

How would you interpret my results?

I'm deficient in everything I think :)

My results are:

Your dominant nature is: Dopamine

Biochemical

Nature

Dopamine

Acetylcholine

Gaba

Serotonin

Biochemical

Deficiency

Dopamine

Acetylcholine

Gaba

Serotonin

Edited by HarbourValley, 03 February 2017 - 08:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users