Photo
- - - - -

Outreach Campaigns

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 technico

• 46 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:07 PM

After reading about Bruce having a lot of DVD's left, I posed a question that he bade me to repost here.

I believe that we can start a campaign to send copies of the DVD to all the major SF cons worldwide - for instance - Denvention in Aug 2008 is the World Science Fiction Convention and it generally attracts about 5,000 attendees, about 15-20% from outside the US. (I plan on going...)

(A side note: my very first contact with Alcor was at a con many (many) years ago in fact and I distinctly remember the guy telling me that it was "fertile" sales territory.)

Sending a few to each con to encourage filling any gaps in the video room, or even perhaps a gift basket of stuff as a prize will certainly hit a target audience.
Perhaps a stash of bumperstickers for the swag table as well. Occassionally look for opportunities to host a party room or an event with a custom banner.
As an expensed outreach campaign, I doubt it would cost more than $500 a year (in materials) to hit the top 20 cons. Maybe and extra $500 in other expenses if we set up a presence to sell Conference memberships...
And I would think that there are at least a few hundred people who have never even heard of ImmInst that are core candidates as members.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the idea technico. You are thinking like a marketer. Even though a couple people's experiences do not constitute audience research, I have a feeling that you are right about the SF cons being somewhat fertile ground.

So this is the idea

1. Imminst member attends a con.
2. Member mans a booth/table with literature/flyers and DVDs of "Exploring Life Extension". Promotes upcoming Imminst conference.

Costs

1. Literature.
2. Swag (if any)
3. Booth registration.

Literature, not too expensive. 50 coated color flyers should be less than 100. Swag, minimal cost, could even raffle off a free pass to the 2008 conference. Booth registration - not sure about Denvention - but other conferences I have attended or had a booth at typically run a few hundred bucks.

#3 technico

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the idea technico. You are thinking like a marketer. Even though a couple people's experiences do not constitute audience research, I have a feeling that you are right about the SF cons being somewhat fertile ground.

So this is the idea

1. Imminst member attends a con.
2. Member mans a booth/table with literature/flyers and DVDs of "Exploring Life Extension". Promotes upcoming Imminst conference.

Costs

1. Literature.
2. Swag (if any)
3. Booth registration.

Literature, not too expensive. 50 coated color flyers should be less than 100. Swag, minimal cost, could even raffle off a free pass to the 2008 conference. Booth registration - not sure about Denvention - but other conferences I have attended or had a booth at typically run a few hundred bucks.

Most of the larger cons are between $100- $250 for a table. Smaller cons (like SoonerCon which is under 1000 people) are usually about $75-150. And they usually come with 1 or 2 memberships.

Depending on the convention, the better bang for the buck (albeit, more expensive overall) is to sponsor a room party on Saturday night. Rooms usually run $100 - $200 and party snacks another $100. The reason they are better is because the tables get less notice than the parties by a long shot - been doing this for more than a few years and the parties usually get at least 50% (and usually closer to 75% at the smaller ones) of the con attendance to pass through if you keep it open from 4pm - 11pm on Saturday. A cheaper route is to partner with another complimentary organization and split the costs but never more than two concerns to a room. Also, it would be best to invest in a one time cost of banners for no more than $500. Lit should not be over the top stuff - one page 4 color, coated glossy 2 sided can be had for about $500 for 2000 pcs. - which would last a whole year I might think. So $1000 up front, and about $300 per con would be a large effort, scale that back to just lits and select cons where we have members already going for about $1000 investment for the year. I might anticipate some initial "finding our feet" on this but would think that it is conceivable to anticipate at least a break even return in memberships from this. And probably a few zealots who will get the logo inked somewhere conspicuous....

An alternative is simple con membership plus dvds attached to lits. put together a half page with local contact sheet and tape to a dvd and simply have our intrepid member handing them out throughout the con while wearing a logo'ed shirt. Having a few extra of those will do wonders also - especially if that member should find a curvaceous attendee to model one for the day... (sorry, but it sells just as well at cons as everywhere else...). The target demographics: over 18 (and believe me when I tell you that goth and vampire kiddies really are a target - look up the psych studies on them... the nihilistic attitude is a cover for jaded optimism)

Raffling a conference membership should be reserved to the larger cons and be NOT TRANSFERABLE on the face but then allow it discretely. Perhaps even use it as a recruiting tool by offering a membership for those who sign up four others and create a local designation / action cell...

As for the marketing mindset, well, I was in the biz for a few years... and I ran a few tradeshows for the Oracle consultancy I used to work for in LA. (Ever been to Oracleworld?) This stuff is just off the top of my head, I should probably give this some real thought the next couple of weeks - I have a breather before getting sucked into the whirlwind that is my oldest daughter's wedding plans.

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

OK, I am just adding things up here, going with the maximum numbers you presented.

$250 for a table.
$300 for a Saturday night party
$500 for literature

$1050 total. Considering that the Institute only spent $1036 on its own conference in 2005 (the rest of the cost was covered by sponsorships and registration fees), this might be a tough sell, but I am still in favor of it. We just need to brainstorm to make it as cost effective as possible.

What would make for a successful Saturday night party? Besides snacks and stuff. Some sort of cool presentation? Swag?

We have the DVDs. We have a large vinyl banner. We might have a few pieces of literature lying around. We should have volunteers available.

#5 technico

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

OK, I am just adding things up here, going with the maximum numbers you presented.

$250 for a table.
$300 for a Saturday night party
$500 for literature

$1050 total. Considering that the Institute only spent $1036 on its own conference in 2005 (the rest of the cost was covered by sponsorships and registration fees), this might be a tough sell, but I am still in favor of it. We just need to brainstorm to make it as cost effective as possible.

What would make for a successful Saturday night party? Besides snacks and stuff. Some sort of cool presentation? Swag?

We have the DVDs. We have a large vinyl banner. We might have a few pieces of literature lying around. We should have volunteers available.

Banner [check]
I would not do a table AND a party - it's one OR the other at any given Large Con (>2500 attendees)
And the $500 covers lit for a whole year of cons including many that we would just send a packet for the swag table. Say about $20 per con worth Because it isn't given to everyone - just those that actually show interest and engage. Create a secondary lit copy on colored paper for the throwaways and the room advertising.

so the cost is more like $300 - $350 per con where you would be visible to about 1000 open-minded people, most of whom have spendable cash ( it is generally estimated that the average ADULT con member will spend $300-400 on the weekend)

As for the room parties - it is best to have posterboards with 3-5 questions posed (one each) and award swag for engaging anyone there in conversation about the topics. It sounds stupid on paper but trust me, it freaking works. Have you ever seen the comic panel called "Nerd Sniping" -- that's what this is. Only the drive by is a little more intellectual in nature....

Lose Weight? Ask me How! becomes Live to be 250! Ask me how! (not going for the full monty hooks them by the curiosity balls because it seems more feasible)

As for a raffle - can't do it for money in most states - better to award entry tickets for answering a survey, signing up for the site (could have a laptop on site to access the website and facilitate signups and memberships) since most hotels have wifi now.

#6 technico

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:23 PM

To show what I mean - I just need an approved one sheet to have at the next con I go to.
I will bring a foldable and make sure each signup on the site references the con so we can measure the effectiveness.
I wouldn't want the group to put money on something that isn't worth it.

#7 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:11 AM

Great idea. I'm completely in favor. Worst case we're going to learn something, best case it will pay off quickly. Well worth 1000 bucks.

#8 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

By the way, is anybody still interested in doing this? Now that directors have some discretional money, this might be funded pretty quickly (hint, hint...)

#9 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:20 AM

An idea crossed my mind. I'm sure that at least a few (if not most) SF writers also happen to have transhumanist/immortalist leanings.

So perhaps we could get a popular SF writer to attend the party and commit to an hour of book signing, or at least meet&greet. Hopefully we could acquire him at minimal cost (ie, just travel expenses).

Just to throw a name out there, how about Vernor Vinge?

I know, I know, that's crazy talk. But just imagine the buzz and turn-out such a high profile SF writer would create.

#10 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:25 AM

To throw another name out there... A few years ago James Halperin (author of The Truth Machine and The First Immortal) donated copies of his books to ImmInst to be used in our membership package.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users