Photo
- - - - -

Green Tea (EGCG), Potent AGE Blocker

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:37 PM

This was from May of 2007. Pretty cool study shows the AGE blocking ability of EGCG.

edit: hopefully this is not a repeat, I couldn't find reference to it anywhere on this site, but then sometimes this site is hard to search :p

Attached Files

Edited by edward, 28 February 2008 - 05:59 PM.

#2 psychenaut

• Life Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

I am a huge fan of the polyphenols, especially EgCG. In fact, I personally consider EgCG to be in a sense a nootropic. If it indeed reduces brain plaques, that is a very good thing, yes? Be very careful when you use an egcg / green tea extract product though, residual solvents and low quality extracts will eliminate or reverse any possible benefits. I have some interesting studies linked to my blog and web site product pages.

Take it with food to reduce any chance of gastrointestinal upset.

Pete

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:06 PM

I am a huge fan of the polyphenols, especially EgCG. In fact, I personally consider EgCG to be in a sense a nootropic. If it indeed reduces brain plaques, that is a very good thing, yes? Be very careful when you use an egcg / green tea extract product though, residual solvents and low quality extracts will eliminate or reverse any possible benefits. I have some interesting studies linked to my blog and web site product pages.

Take it with food to reduce any chance of gastrointestinal upset.

Pete

EGCG activates Sirtuins as does resveratrol. Resveratrol is also an AGE blocker. There has been some confusion about EGCG's efficacy because of a paper saying it blocked Sirt1 except under stabilizing conditions; those conditions I think are easily obtained by ingesting sufficient anti-oxidants. It's likely green tea or EGCG supplements will have similar life-extending effects to those ascribed to resveratrol

#4 edward

• Topic Starter
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

snip
EGCG activates Sirtuins as does resveratrol. Resveratrol is also an AGE blocker. There has been some confusion about EGCG's efficacy because of a paper saying it blocked Sirt1 except under stabilizing conditions; those conditions I think are easily obtained by ingesting sufficient anti-oxidants. It's likely green tea or EGCG supplements will have similar life-extending effects to those ascribed to resveratrol

Maxwatt, do you have a reference for Resveratrol's actual AGE blocking ability? It makes sense, I just haven't read anything showing an actual study done (other than theoretical via blood glucose lowering, diabetes prevention/ameliorating effects). The attached study shows that EGCG prevents AGEs independently of its effect on blood glucose and glucose metabolism.

Edited by edward, 28 February 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#5 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:27 AM

snip

Maxwatt, do you have a reference for Resveratrol's actual AGE blocking ability? It makes sense, I just haven't read anything showing an actual study done (other than theoretical via blood glucose lowering, diabetes prevention/ameliorating effects). The attached study shows that EGCG prevents AGEs independently of its effect on blood glucose and glucose metabolism.

Resveratrol inhibits AGEs-induced proliferation and collagen synthesis activity in vascular smooth muscle cells from stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats.

There are others, but the resveratrol references are in the pay-to-download text. The abstracts deal with other polypenols.

#6 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

That's odd; I swear I read somewhere in Aubrey's Ending Aging book that green tea supplements were found to have significant antioxidant effects but actually increased AGE production and therefore ended up essentially having no positive effects on aging -- and this was part of Aubrey's reasoning for antioxidants not being the answer. I was skeptical of that since I'd never heard that argument before. I will see if I can dig up the exact quote from Aubrey's book when I get home this evening.

Edited by resveratrol, 29 February 2008 - 08:49 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:02 PM

I guess I should find the section in the book that says that but does the body increase AGE production in reponse to anti oxidants?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users