• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Aubrey de Grey interview

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:54 PM

New interview by Aubrey:
http://conquest.se/2...-dig-evigt-ung/
(Note: the heading is not in English, but the actual text of the interview is in English)

#2 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:48 AM

100 million dollars a year isn't much compared to how much some billionaires give to charity i.e. bill gates and warren buffet. If Aubrey could reach them and explain it.... but then again he must already have tried something like that. Bill Gates seems like a guy who could understand and finance Aubrey; while Warren i think is more narrow minded (but he sure knows "how to allocate capital", as he likes to say) and he doesn't like technology.

I wonder if Bill has heard of Aubrey and if he got to see Aubrey's main arguments; i'd like to know what Bill thought of it. Must not be impossible to reach bill and get some 10 minutes of his time to explain it, especially recently since he has decreased his working time by "retiring" from microsoft's main position.

#3 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:49 AM

Aubrey is will also be on the Barbara Walter's show, 'How to Live to be 150' this Tuesday April the 1st :) (I'll be doing a live blog of the show, I'll invite him, but have no idea if he'll be able to watch it the same time or not)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 bio123

• 86 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

I seem to recall reading somewhere that high-profile people like Gates are worried
about adverse publicity if they donate to anti-aging bodies, probably worried about
headlines like "Selfish Billionaire wants to live Forever!!" etc. Can anyone confirm
if this is the case?

#5 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:07 PM

I seem to recall reading somewhere that high-profile people like Gates are worried
about adverse publicity if they donate to anti-aging bodies, probably worried about
headlines like "Selfish Billionaire wants to live Forever!!" etc. Can anyone confirm
if this is the case?

Any such comment would be purely speculation, but it's certainly a possibility.

#6 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:07 PM

Aubrey de Grey interviewed in english.........

http://conquest.se/2...-dig-evigt-ung/

#7 neonnexus

• 51 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

The link seems to be down. Anyone know if it is on youtube? I have not seen this particular interview so I don't know which one to link to from youtube.

#8 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:20 AM

The link seems to be down. Anyone know if it is on youtube? I have not seen this particular interview so I don't know which one to link to from youtube.

It was the text of an interview, not a video. The whole site seems to be down; Maybe it will be up later?

Edited by Live Forever, 16 February 2009 - 05:21 AM.

#9 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:22 AM

if this is the case?

doesn't being a billionaire mean that you don't have to care what the hell most people think about you?

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:32 AM

I seem to recall reading somewhere that high-profile people like Gates are worried about adverse publicity if they donate to anti-aging bodies, probably worried about headlines like "Selfish Billionaire wants to live Forever!!" etc. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

doesn't being a billionaire mean that you don't have to care what the hell most people think about you?

Oh, no way. Ever notice that Gates doesn't do anything controversial? His foundation is only involved in things that virtually everyone is in favor of, like curing tropical diseases and improving education. I think Gates cares a lot what other people think. For a long time I thought that he didn't want to cause any trouble for Microsoft, but in these economic times, there's also the threat that the rabble will decide that confiscatory taxation of the very wealthy would partially compensate for the fact that their own economic security has been shot to hell.

#11 Anthony

• Guest, F@H
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

A wealthy individual could donate to the M-Foundation anonymously and still take it off his/her taxes. He/she could therefore donate significant amounts of money to SENS without risking any public disapproval.

Edited by Anthony, 16 February 2009 - 08:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users