• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What was, is, or is going to be your area (or areas) of study in colle

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: If you did, or are planning to do, more than one major, you can select multiple choices. (63 member(s) have cast votes)

Science and Engineering

1. Computer Science (20 votes [21.51%])

Percentage of vote: 21.51%

2. Biology / Molecular Biology / Biochemistry / Neuroscience (21 votes [22.58%])

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

3. Biomedical Engineering / Bioengineering / Biotechnology (9 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

4. Mechanical Engineering (2 votes [2.15%])

Percentage of vote: 2.15%

5. Chemistry / Chemical Engineering (6 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

6. Civil Engineering / Environmental Engineering (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Physics / Astronomy / Astrophysics (3 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

8. Industrial Engineering / Systems Engineering (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Material Science / Materials Engineering (1 votes [1.08%])

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

10. Premedicine / Predentistry (2 votes [2.15%])

Percentage of vote: 2.15%

11. Mathematics (5 votes [5.38%])

Percentage of vote: 5.38%

12. Aeronautical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering (1 votes [1.08%])

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

13. Electrical and Computer Engineering / Communications (5 votes [5.38%])

Percentage of vote: 5.38%

14. Other (specify) (6 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

15. Click here if this area does not apply to you (12 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

Business and Econimics

1. Economics (7 votes [10.29%])

Percentage of vote: 10.29%

2. Finance / Banking (2 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

3. Logistics / Materials Management (1 votes [1.47%])

Percentage of vote: 1.47%

4. Management Science (2 votes [2.94%])

5. Marketing Management (2 votes [2.94%])

6. Accounting (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Entrepreneurship (2 votes [2.94%])

8. Business / Managerial Economics (4 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

9. Other (specify) (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Click here if this area does not apply to you (48 votes [70.59%])

Percentage of vote: 70.59%

Social Sciences and Arts

1. English Language & Literature (3 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

2. Drama / Theater Arts / Film Studies (2 votes [2.90%])

Percentage of vote: 2.90%

3. Art / Design (3 votes [4.35%])

4. Area, Ethnic, Cultural, and Gender Studies (specify) (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Music (1 votes [1.45%])

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

6. Journalism (1 votes [1.45%])

7. Foreign Language and Literature (specify) (1 votes [1.45%])

8. Cognitive Science / Psychology (7 votes [10.14%])

Percentage of vote: 10.14%

9. Anthropology / Sociology (2 votes [2.90%])

10. Political Science / Law / International Relations (1 votes [1.45%])

11. History / Archaeology (1 votes [1.45%])

12. Philosophy (3 votes [4.35%])

13. Religion / Religious Studies (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Other (specify) (2 votes [2.90%])

15. Click here if this area does not apply to you (42 votes [60.87%])

Percentage of vote: 60.87%

Did you go to college?

1. I do not want to go to college (0 votes [0.00%])

2. I am planning to go to college (3 votes [4.84%])

Percentage of vote: 4.84%

3. I am in college now (29 votes [46.77%])

Percentage of vote: 46.77%

4. I went to college (29 votes [46.77%])

Percentage of vote: 46.77%

5. I did not go to college (1 votes [1.61%])

Percentage of vote: 1.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:00 AM

What was, is, or is going to be your area (or areas) of study in college?

Also, explain a little bit about yourselves and your area or future area of study or studies. ;)

Edit: there was a small problem with the poll ... but I think I fixed it now

Note: you must vote in every question, if the question does not apply to you, you must select Click here if this area does not apply to you

You must also vote in the last question if you went to college or not
:-D

Edited by Kostas, 28 April 2008 - 05:38 AM.

#2 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:20 AM

I'm currently in college. Right now I'm doing a preparatory year, and in August I'm going to embark on a 5-year journey into the world of molecular biology, ending up with an M.Sc. After that, I'll hopefully go for Ph.D. studies.

Edited by Johan, 28 April 2008 - 06:21 AM.

#3 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:27 AM

I'm studying business management. Plan on having a business -> getting very rich -> being able to contribute a lot to anti aging efforts

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

I studied Early Childhood Education, then Education of Gifted and Talented Students. Later I studied Holistic Nutrition. Out of college, I feel I am continually educating myself.

#5 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:09 AM

Geosciences and some biology. I am returning to school this summer after a two year break to continue my undergraduate education. I am considering a switch to MCB to help cure aging before returning to Planetary Science.

#6 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:18 AM

Computer science / system and software architecture.

I'm very old and settled.... :-D , well, not to old really, but quite successful now, so I don't want to change the winning team. But in case I would have the knowledge I have now when I was a teenager or would have been one right now, I would certainly have opted for biotechnology.

I did my study in the evening hours, beside a day job which was also in the field of software development. So, I'm somewhat of a auto-didactic and formally trained as well, which is a very good combination. Why in the evening hours? Because I utterly failed my initial study in electronics due to a very positive interest in all sort of aspects of life..... And then there was military service, which was obligatory at that time over here..... After 16 months of that I was even more spoiled, so I started to work.

Not the ideal way to start a career, but not to bad either to be honest. ;)

Edited by brainbox, 28 April 2008 - 09:19 AM.

#7 eldar

• 178 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

Computer science, more specifically artificial intelligence.

I'm also very interested in nanotechnology and it's medical applications, but unfortunately I don't have time for everything. Computer science is a field that can be applied to almost any area of study, including biology, which is why I find it to be the best way to spend my time.

#8 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:39 PM

I've had a very odd journey through college:

A few classes short of a degree in English specializing in literature.
Decided to swap to Molecular Biology and will be finished with that next year.
I've also tried my hand at many other things and probably have the credits required for a few minors: anthropology, philosophy, kinesiology.

I've been in college a long time.

#9 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:21 PM

Studied Botany. I plan to begin my own organic farm this upcoming season.

#10 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

I'm a biology major, Asian studies minor, was gonna do double major in these two majors but too many credits needed and biology and cultural/language/literature studies do not overlap whatsoever.

It's no surprise to see most ppl here are in CS or BS (computer , or biological sciences), two fields most relevant to immortality

#11 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:49 PM

I have diplomas in horticulture and ecology from college, and a uni degree in horticultural science, which focused on a few applied research topics - soil science and novel growing mediums/environments (aquaponics in space!!), currently I am looking to move into nutraceutical r+d as a career for now.

#12 Cyberbrain

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

The information in this thread could also one day be useful if we all decide to collaborate in a world wide imminst project, or something similar ;)

#13 AdamSummerfield

• 351 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

For me, there's a problem with the poll.
Nevertheless I plan on studying Biomedical Science. Biomedical Sciences gives the most extensive knowledge of human biology (even more than that of a doctor, since the Medicine courses mainly study diagnosis and symptoms) among all university degrees, it covers Molecular and Cellular Biology, Tissue Biology, Physiology and Chemistry.
After this, I plan on doing a PhD on hemopoietic stem cells.

- Adam

#14 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:58 AM

First off, Nice poll! It's good to get a nice overview of the demographics here!

I clicked Comp Sci, Physics, Mathematics, and Electrical engineering. (since they are all general interests in which I will take classes in)

I am dual majoring in Computer Science and Physics.

Though I am not entirely sure what I will do after 2011... Whether or not I go to grad school depends on my research, if it begins to bear some fruit, I might skip out on grad school for a few years.

#15 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:59 AM

It's no surprise to see most ppl here are in CS or BS (computer , or biological sciences), two fields most relevant to immortality

maybe for the discovery or development towards immortality, but to say that any kind of social science is irrelevant to immortality is absurd considering the POWERFUL consequences immortality will have on every dimension of society

#16 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:45 AM

maybe for the discovery or development towards immortality, but to say that any kind of social science is irrelevant to immortality is absurd considering the POWERFUL consequences immortality will have on every dimension of society

Yeah agreed very much! But we gotta worry how to be immortal before we worry exactly how it will strain society.

Of course we need to learn all types of sciences and try to understand religion/spiritual things too. We need all sorts of people. Computer scientists, biologists, politians and lawyers too.

To be individually immortal first, we'd need technological developments that are only conceivable now and no guarantee to even work.

We walk first before we can run. Right now, we can't even walk the walk yet. We just talk the talk. talking about how to walk. There'll be many falls. wait... in this analogy/metaphor , I think we're not even born yet. We're still in "fetal development stages"

to the long life ahead, and hopefully true immortality

Edited by HYP86, 02 May 2008 - 03:46 AM.

#17 pseudo-princess

• 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

Psychology and commerce for me (at the undergrad level.)
Not too relevant to immortality pursuits, though understanding the fear of death AND the fear of immortality from the psychological perspective is really interesting.

#18 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:45 PM

Since life is education, you should never stop learning!

Indiana:(1970-80's)
US Steel Apprenticeship School for Journeyman Motor Inspector (1977-1982)
Purdue University North Central for Mechanical Engineering (didn't finish)
Indiana University Northwest for business (didn't finish, high unemployment in area, moved to California)

California (1980's)
Golden West Community College for chemistry and English
Coastline Community College for Swedish- Spanish- German (Can't speak none of them yet...)
Orange Coast College for Aerospace (Space Shuttle class, but the Challenger blew-up and Rockwell stop hiring.)
Orange Coast Sailing Academy for fun!
Norwalk ROP Program for nursing (Certified Nursing Assistant)

Indiana (1990's)
Purdue Calumet for Construction Technology (didn't finish, you can never go home again, No good jobs in area, moved south.)
A Real Estate course in Merrillville IN

Alabama (1994-96)
Snead State Community College
AS Degree in Agricultural Education (Finally a piece of paper!, got a micro lab job with it)

I'm in a "Longevity Divide" course now. I plan on taking Certified Quality and Six Sigma Courses and go back to college for a BS degree in Microbiology at UAH (University of Alabama, Huntsville) UAH is also a space research campus working with the Marshall Spaceflight Center. I hope I can get into one of their biology programs for the moon project. :)
Maybe start a H+ club if they don't have one yet. (The first immortal on the moon!) :~

#19 Cyberbrain

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:21 AM

I might as well put up my info too :)

In 2007 I received the International Baccalaureate Diploma from Anatolia College.
Currently I am an undergrad at Lehigh University. I'm doing a dual degree:

B.Sc. in Electrical and Computer Engineering with a Minor in Business
B.Sc. in Computer Science and Engineering with a Minor in Cognitive Science

#20 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:05 PM

I might as well put up my info too :)

In 2007 I received the International Baccalaureate Diploma from Anatolia College.
Currently I am an undergrad at Lehigh University. I'm doing a dual degree:

B.Sc. in Electrical and Computer Engineering with a Minor in Business
B.Sc. in Computer Science and Engineering with a Minor in Cognitive Science

cool i was also in International Baccalaureate Diploma program in high school. did extended essay on cardiovascular system and respiration rates , since I chose the electives as a second science (IB SL Chem) and IB HL Biology courses. I loved the TOK too. But darn, after they mailed me the diploma from somewhwere in Europe i think, I threw it into some box and probably lost it.

very impressive of you doing double major and double minor, I don't know what year you're , but i hope you complete all the degrees successfully and graduate on time. i know if i do the course load/credits you take, it' d take me more than 4 years.

i'm junior (3rd year) B.Sc in biological sciences w/ concentration in animal physiology. minor in Asiam studies/Chinese hist./ literature.

Edited by HYP86, 04 May 2008 - 10:55 PM.

#21 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:47 PM

Just about to complete a Ph.D in Biomedical Science. My majors were Biochemistry and metabolism. Title of my thesis: "The effects of Dietary supplementation and Resistance training on Muscle strength and Oxidative capacity in Aged Males."

I've started on my thesis and have a month or two or data analysis to go. I should be finished in 6 months.

I've been behind the eight ball for the last 18 months because my scholarship money ran out and I was forced to work full time and do my Ph.D part-time. My full time job required me to work a forward rotating roster that included morning, afternoon and nightshifts on both weekdays and weekends. On top of all of this I've been hitting my head against the wall developing and validating a method that measures GSH and GSSH in both plasma and intracellular environments using HPLC and LC-MS. I don't recommend that anyone attempt to develop a method as your last Ph.D study. Leave that to the analytical chemists.

Anyhow....my next study adventure will be in either music or art.

Edited by zoolander, 04 May 2008 - 10:49 PM.

#22 Cyberbrain

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

cool i was also in International Baccalaureate Diploma program in high school. did extended essay on cardiovascular system and respiration rates , since I chose the electives as a second science (IB SL Chem) and IB HL Biology courses. I loved the TOK too. But darn, after they mailed me the diploma from somewhwere in Europe i think, I threw it into some box and probably lost it.

Nice! T.O.K. was also my favorite class. I did a T.O.K. presentation on the ethics of immortality, if I find it I'll post it on imminst. I did HL Physics, Chemistry, and Math. And SL English, French, and Economics.

very impressive of you doing double major and double minor,

Thanks! Well EE and CS share a couple of courses so I able to fill them nicely into 4 years (well actually 4.5 years), I then filled all my free electives and humanities with two minors.

#23 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:57 PM

Nice! T.O.K. was also my favorite class. I did a T.O.K. presentation on the ethics of immortality, if I find it I'll post it on imminst. I did HL Physics, Chemistry, and Math. And SL English, French, and Economics.

very impressive of you doing double major and double minor,

Thanks! Well EE and CS share a couple of courses so I able to fill them nicely into 4 years (well actually 4.5 years), I then filled all my free electives and humanities with two minors.

my TOK presention was on genetic modifications and chimeras, i think I titled it "The Altercation over Genetic Alteration" if i find the Powerpoint, i'll post it on imminst too. I did my TOK Essay/final paper on perceptions and existentialism and such things, wrote about death/immortalism too, if i find it i'd post it on here. These things helped to make me think more about ethical issues. The year i took TOK i started to think more about existential crisis too. I did HL Biology, World History, Math, SL Chemistry, Chinese, English , Spanish but my favorite classes were still TOK and Biology and i decided to have an ultimate goal as immortality. i definitely hope to study more in grad and/or med school(s) later. i hope to make a lot of money too and contribute to the immortality cause financially

Edited by HYP86, 05 May 2008 - 12:02 AM.

#24 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:58 PM

Started undergrad with a degree in physics in mind, took all related courses for that.
Got a degree in business/entrepreneurship instead as my physics degree required me to take a language and I didn't want too.

Went to russia and learned russian, went to china and learned some chinese :-D.

Flash forward 5 years, took remaining course needed for premed one summer (organic chemistry), also took biochem and some molecular biology to refresh.

+ 2.5 years; completed Masters in medical bioremediation/molecular biology. Now 3rd year med school.

#25 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:41 AM

Started undergrad with a degree in physics in mind, took all related courses for that.
Got a degree in business/entrepreneurship instead as my physics degree required me to take a language and I didn't want too.

Went to russia and learned russian, went to china and learned some chinese :) .

Flash forward 5 years, took remaining course needed for premed one summer (organic chemistry), also took biochem and some molecular biology to refresh.

+ 2.5 years; completed Masters in medical bioremediation/molecular biology. Now 3rd year med school.

I started as a biology major and then switched to psychology (minor is health), but once I finish college I plan to go into nursing. I like helping people and working in a hospital setting. I originally wanted to be a doctor but soon realized the stress and lack of sleep from such a career would likely age me more quickly. The good thing about nursing is that it will only take about 2 years to get the bachelors’ degree; it usually takes 4 but since I already finished half of the degree through the courses I'm taken as a psychology major I’ll finish more quickly.

#26 Hot_Lexxus

• 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

BS Mechanical Engineering (Heat/Mass Transfer Concentration)
MS Nuclear Engineering
</end>
Because...well...PhDs in Engineering are like tits on a bull :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users