#1 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:11 PM

AAAACTION guys! (and ladies)
I've just bought * * * http://www.longevity.be * * * and made a small web site
Content: organizations, projects & things I/you can do to make longevity real

I made that website for 2 reasons:
1) Share the work: you'll find a 'TODO list' against aging, for which I'm active every evening. It doesn't have to be done by me necessarily: maybe we can share the work?
2) To make everyone here (including me) aware of the important projects & organization against aging/death. Add a link to longevity.be!

Let's use this forum to participate. I'll be pleased to share the work

AgeVivo

#2 eldar

• 178 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:20 PM

You might want to rethink the colors on that page.... :)

The methionine restriction project seems interesting, hope you can get it started. Unfortunately I'm swamped myself, so can't really offer any help at the moment.

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,059 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:36 PM

Nice start Agevivo. Just having a new presence on the web is great for the movement. If every member of the Institute had a blog or homepage that linked to longevity sites like Imminst and to each other, it would be a powerful meme builder.

#4 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

thank you guys for your support
longevity.org:
I've changed the colors and fonts, still not perfect but I hope it is better?

methioninerestriction.org:
All this (readings+website) is quite some work. Help and suggestions are welcome:

- content
I've read much and started putting content (summaries, interpretations, links to forums).
You may start reading it; the content may keep growing.
If you want to help and do something good for you, from the documentation page, download Walford's software, start using it (it takes half an hour of efforts to understand how to use it but then it gets fun) and post here which foods are low in cysteine and methionine but not in other amino acids.

- web site
I'm thinking of how to organize that web site (someone wants to help/be the webmaster?):
probably with 2 columns: content list on the left, todo list on the right,
content and forum in the center (without nicknames but a password to copy from an image)

Agevivo

Edited by AgeVivo, 14 May 2008 - 11:11 PM.

#5 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:30 PM

download Walford's software

I've added documentation and corrected the link http://www.walford.com/software.htm: click on download, install it, do menu>search and go on. it is a good tool

#6 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:41 PM

Hey, there is almost no one posting or participating here!
Is the post too recent? Are the tasks too complex? too restrictive? not guided enough? Do you believe it won't work? Are you now afraid that we will live longer? is 40% not worth any effort?

Tell me what's going on; otherwise I'll do everything alone, much more slowly and possibly not as well as if we share the work.

Thanks.

#7 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:07 AM

here this post was appearently a bit hidden, but in the Methuselah Foundation there was good feedbacks.
To give you appetite for methionine restriction (MR), posts in the Caloric Restriction society agree on MR (not necessarily on the mechanisms) and suggest to eat beans, asparagus and jelly while avoiding egg-white and peas ;-)

This of course needs to be investigated and
  • a methionine restriction research project has been formulated for MFURI.
    * we are looking for a highly motivated team of students !
    * the aim is to test in mice wether MR works if started at adulhood, and to optimze MR diets (>40% extension?)
    * in a first semester, a set of reported metabolic changes will be used as a proxy for life extension
  • you can also help at home:
    * download Walford's software and post what to buy (protein sources low in methionine and cystine)
    * html/php/mysql or graphics skills would be helpful to develop the methionine restriction website,
    * post litterature content that should be added to the methionine restriction website
We are waiting you your feedback !

Edited by AgeVivo, 01 June 2008 - 11:26 AM.

#8 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:06 PM

All,

1. we are looking for a highly motivated team of students!
See how to apply on mfuri.org
Questions are welcome, we'll see how to answer them together.

2. can you help on choosing what to test ?
A first setting of experiments has been proposed.
It tests optimized methionine restriction (MR) diets for hopefully greater life extensions without fasting.

We are also considering some comparison with caloric restriction (CR):

* "MR vs CR" is a topical question in the research community
* MR might (or might not) be a crypto-CR. eg: making the body less able to use the calories it takes in
* there might be positive or no or negative synergies with CR: people practicing CR may want to practice MR... or not!

For example:
  • What is required to mix CR and MR?
    * a better definition of MR? it is the purpose of the first proposed experiment(s), because very few degrees/types of MR have been tried so far
    * a choice of CR and MR assembly? MR makes the animal loose weight. how is CR then defined? in absolute grams or relative to the weight?
    * the right controls? at least standard diet alone, MR alone, CR alone. Pair fed controls too?
    * choices? this makes many animals: if we mix CR and MR we will clearly need to choose between studying males of females, starting with young adults or older adults, the diet degree and food composition
  • What to measure to answer "MR vs CR"?
    * lifespan? of course :p but not obvious to do => you'd better know what you test :p
    * weight and food and drink consumption? relatively easy to do approximately
    * blood measures? there are various changes typical of MR and/or CR. eg GSH and ifg1. it requieres extra animals
    * very complex measures? locomotion tests, cognition tests, gross anatomopathology, mRNA microarrays, etc
your suggestions are very welcome, as well as selections of MR and/or CR articles, right doses and ages to study.
Of course, at the end, final choices will be done by the working team.

Thank you.

Edited by AgeVivo, 05 June 2008 - 10:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users