- - - - -

Sunday Evening Update, May 11th, 5pm CDT

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:15 PM

The brilliant Dr. Max More will be the featured guest this Sunday May 11th. More details to come.

Max More Homepage

#2 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:02 AM

Max More was the original author of the proactionary principle

People’s freedom to innovate technologically is highly valuable, even critical, to humanity. This implies a range of responsibilities for those considering whether and how to develop, deploy, or restrict new technologies. Assess risks and opportunities using an objective, open, and comprehensive, yet simple decision process based on science rather than collective emotional reactions. Account for the costs of restrictions and lost opportunities as fully as direct effects. Favor measures that are proportionate to the probability and magnitude of impacts, and that have the highest payoff relative to their costs. Give a high priority to people’s freedom to learn, innovate, and advance.

#3 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:23 AM

I'd like to ask him about the current debate over what Transhumanism means or should mean...

#4 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:12 AM

Well Shannon, here is something he has mentioned recently:

The transhumanist movements has been corrupted by some of its currently prominent spokespeople who have persistently misrepresented its origins. This is symptomatic of a broader problem confronting a movement consisting of all-too-human people attempting to drive a transhuman cause.

Will be interesting to discuss this. If anyone has any questions but cannot attend the program, please list them here in the forum and I will ask them.

As always, the program can be found here at Ustream

#5 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:30 AM

just a general Q about ustream, i signed up as a member under the name HYP86 also,

but i can't seem to figure out how to watch an exact video that i want. I know Mind put up lots of cool vids lin a 24-HOUR LOOP , and they keep looping around. I can't stick around to wait for a vid to watch. For example, if I want to watch a video . .. say exploring life extension, how do i get to a menu and click on it? THey're not listed in the 19 videos Mind created. Those 19 videos are all BOard meetings and interviews. Also anyway i can download the videos? r they copyright protected?

Edited by HYP86, 11 May 2008 - 01:33 AM.

#6 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:10 AM

Also anyway i can download the videos? r they copyright protected?
[/quote]

#7 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

As far as I can tell, the videos are not copyrighted.

#8 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

The videos are the copyright of the respective authors.

You are welcome download, listen to and distribute the audio transcripts of interviews and board meetings, but you cannot alter them, or use them for commercial purposes without the approval of the Institute.
This is not a service agreement and no warranty whatsoever can be given in relation to these files.

#9 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:24 PM

You are welcome download, listen to and distribute the audio transcripts of interviews and board meetings, but you cannot alter them, or use them for commercial purposes without the approval of the Institute.
This is not a service agreement and no warranty whatsoever can be given in relation to these files.

cool. I may not even want to download them. If I download Mind's 19 videos, i'll use them for personal use and introduce friends to imminst. IF they're perpetually on the ustream site, i'll just listen to them there.

The only problem i have with is as mentioned, there are lots of videos playing around in the 24 HOUR LOOP on the homepage everytime i go to Mind's ustream site. How do I find a title list of what videos are playing there? How do I select a specific one I want to watch? For example, if I want to watch a video . .. say exploring life extension, how do i get to a menu and click on it? THey're not listed in the 19 videos Mind created. Anyway to skip sections , fastforward ,rewind?? Not sure if you understand my questions, but a way to control the videos will be nice. I'd like total control on what i listen/watch
I know Max Moore was in one of the vid in that continuous loop. accidentally caught the talk he gave, very cool.

Edited by HYP86, 11 May 2008 - 05:28 PM.

#10 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

cool. I may not even want to download them. If I download Mind's 19 videos, i'll use them for personal use and introduce friends to imminst. IF they're perpetually on the ustream site, i'll just listen to them there.

The only problem i have with is as mentioned, there are lots of videos playing around in the 24 HOUR LOOP on the homepage everytime i go to Mind's ustream site. How do I find a title list of what videos are playing there? How do I select a specific one I want to watch? For example, if I want to watch a video . .. say exploring life extension, how do i get to a menu and click on it? THey're not listed in the 19 videos Mind created. Anyway to skip sections , fastforward ,rewind?? Not sure if you understand my questions, but a way to control the videos will be nice. I'd like total control on what i listen/watch
I know Max Moore was in one of the vid in that continuous loop. accidentally caught the talk he gave, very cool.

Can we just make a wiki for the show, then? Like... have a program on it or something? Use that maybe to facilitate material? (Of course, this is me suggesting a tool I probably won't use, myself.)
[but it's probably important for all that long-tail jazz... so, over the course of my own infinite lifespan, who knows!]

Edited by modelcadet, 11 May 2008 - 07:37 PM.

#11 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

Good idea modelcat - a wiki for the show. Now just need to find the time to create it.

More on Max More from his bio page.

Dr. Max More is an internationally acclaimed strategic futurist who writes, speaks, and organizes events about the fundamental challenges of emerging technologies. Max is concerned that our rapidly developing technological capabilities are racing far ahead of our standard ways of thinking about future possibilities. His work aims to improve our ability to anticipate, adapt to, and shape the future for the better.

Attached Files

#12 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hello Mind/Justin,

I had never heard of the Ustream website before, very cool! I was so behind the times that I thought this evening update was going to be done by old school chatroom. lol I'm very glad you are utilizing this technology media format by sharing the latest info/gossip with us.

I really look forward to watching the interview with Dr. Max More. He is definitely one of the 800 lb. gorillas of Transhumanism (err..., I suppose I should instead say he is one of the "Jupiter Brain's of Transhumanism," it just sounds better).

Good work!

John : )

#13 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:35 PM

Hello Mind/Justin,

I had never heard of the Ustream website before, very cool! I was so behind the times that I thought this evening update was going to be done by old school chatroom. lol I'm very glad you are utilizing this technology media format by sharing the latest info/gossip with us.

I really look forward to watching the interview with Dr. Max More. He is definitely one of the 800 lb. gorillas of Transhumanism (err..., I suppose I should instead say he is one of the "Jupiter Brain's of Transhumanism," it just sounds better).

Good work!

John : )

i'd like to hear his ideas and where H+ is going.

ustream is sweet, giving us AV entertainment too, but if Mind creates the wiki or a list of all the videos , easily selectable , even downloadable, that'd be nice

#14 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:02 AM

The ustream chat room is still pretty full. Please do join us in there and help keep the topics flowing. Its a good place to discuss the imminst name change which is being discussed in there right now.

http://www.ustream.t...ortality-update

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users