• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

2-3 hundred guests usually here, how do we get them to join?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

http://www.imminst.o...m/register.html

You can sign up at that link. Im pretty sure all you need is to accept the terms, put in your name and password and thats it. This membership is free.

The larger the member base the better. A strong showing of support helps the cause gain more support. Every drop of effort helps in getting us closer to "inlex" the goal of indefinite life extension. So please sign up today.

http://www.imminst.o...m/register.html

#2 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:01 PM

Hey BP,
Not to rain on your parade, but most of those "guests" are search engine spiders.

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:39 PM

I see, what percentage of them do you think are "spiders"? I didnt realize. What is that?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:51 PM

Here's a wiki link that explains things much better than I could.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Web_crawler

It's hard to come up with an exact percentage, but my guestimate would be upwards of 90%. I was once conducting an investigation of IPs and found that most of them could be traced back to the major search engines (actually, mostly companies that are contracted by them). If we really wanted to, we could take a few snap shots of the IP list, research their origins and then average them out for a much more solid estimate. Of course, unless we had some compelling reasons for doing so this would be a major waste of time and effort. ;)

#5 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:25 AM

We can just guesstimate sort of. Lets say even just 5 percent of them are actual people. Can we contact them some how? We cant PM them can we? I dont see a way.

What Im saying is that its hard enough to get people to come here. But once we do it seems like a shame that we cant have some way to welcome them in better, befriend them and get them to feel like becoming a member. Any ideas?

If any of you guests here viewing the boards see this do you have any ideas?

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:34 AM

Damn, that is a lot of spiders! I had no idea there were so many. So our high water mark of 3000 or so users was an ephemera. How much our our server-side resource goes to servicing those guys?

#7 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:29 PM

but most of those "guests" are search engine spiders.

Interesting.

Noticed something similar at the Folding Forum

Google, MSN, and Yahoo Bots are registered, most likely there are other Bots that are not ID'ed.

Attached File  Whois_Online.jpg   11.73KB   0 downloads

Edited by dnamechanic, 04 June 2008 - 01:30 PM.

#8 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:05 PM

Damn, that is a lot of spiders! I had no idea there were so many. So our high water mark of 3000 or so users was an ephemera. How much our our server-side resource goes to servicing those guys?

I'm not sure but, whatever it is, it's worth it. Without search engines indexing all of our content we are virtually invisible to the outside world.

#9 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:26 AM

Bump.

Just reminding all those guests to join: http://www.imminst.o...m/register.html

Registration is very easy and FREE!

Edited by Kostas, 05 January 2009 - 03:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users