• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Life expectancy went up 4 months in 1 year

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

http://www.webmd.com...?src=RSS_PUBLIC

#2 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

This is good news, because even though life expectancy is dropping because of obesity and bad care of health in many parts of the US, generally, it still rises, and a 4 month rise is a lot. It's like we were "biologically immortal" (the "" because we still age, but you get the point) for 4 months in a year...

I imagine when they create a pill that neutralizes the bad effects of obesity -such reasearches are already in progress-. Life expectancy will take a big jump.

#3 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

This is a welcome shot of optimistism creating info. I think Im going to print this out and put it on my wall.

All of the top 15 causes of deaths rates are going down except one that stayed the same. This really puts an optimistic number on the causes of death other than aging for me. I always imagined that a mileau of diseases would need to be cured to save us from the big killers, but 15 doesnt seem all that bad. I mean Im sure theres more to worry about but if we treat these like sens and get them rolling as fast as we can for cures too then well, its definently with in our reach. I guess it just depends on how much reaching stamina we the world have.

Besides directly supporting sens we should directly support the increase in the percentage that all of these killers go down.

Right? Wrong? Does sens already take care of these things? If we should deal with these to then should we create a sub forum for each branch of the NIH that deals with these?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:32 PM

Isn't resveratrol a good pill in counteracting the bad effects off obesity? However I still think that life expectancy will peak at 85 if no true anti-aging therapies arrives......

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:46 PM

Why do you say 85? Since the record is 122 or something close then in a world with none of those top 15 causes of death as a major factor, why wouldnt you think it would be more like between the ages of 110 and 130?

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:30 PM

Incredible news!

I see significantly lower death rates for most of the "low hanging fruit" - the chronic self-inflicted diseases. Heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cirrhosis. Even though cancer death rates only went down by 1.6% I see this as a fairly significant number because cancer rates correlate highly with age, so the population is getting older yet cancer death rates are going down - pretty awesome.

I think I will celebrate tonight.

If we (Imminst) keep working hard and advocating healthy living and aging research we can expect more good news like this in the future.

#7 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:42 PM

Even though cancer death rates only went down by 1.6% I see this as a fairly significant number because cancer rates correlate highly with age, so the population is getting older yet cancer death rates are going down - pretty awesome.

Agreed, great point. Things are going our way. Things could easily not be going our way, but they are. Im excited. More excited than usual.

Im going to celebrate too. What do you think about something like a sub section for each NIH department for each of the main 15 killers? Heart diseases, cancer, alzheimers, diabetes etc... ?

#8 bio123

• 86 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:32 AM

Personally I'd be a lot more interested to see life expectancy figures which don't include that majority
of the population who stuff themselves until they can barely move, or the ones who pay money to
poison themselves (smokers, drug addicts, alcoholics etc.) We know these people are going to die
earlier on average, so why should we care about life expectancy figures which include them? Also
exclude those who practise extreme sports, ride motorcycles, or do anything else which increases their chances of an
early exit.

#9 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:51 AM

Personally I'd be a lot more interested to see life expectancy figures which don't include that majority
of the population who stuff themselves until they can barely move, or the ones who pay money to
poison themselves (smokers, drug addicts, alcoholics etc.) We know these people are going to die
earlier on average, so why should we care about life expectancy figures which include them? Also
exclude those who practise extreme sports, ride motorcycles, or do anything else which increases their chances of an
early exit.

And why not exclude all people who are not doing severe calorie restriction, instead stuffing themselves with too many calories for maximizing lifespan................. :~

#10 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:06 AM

Why do you say 85? Since the record is 122 or something close then in a world with none of those top 15 causes of death as a major factor, why wouldnt you think it would be more like between the ages of 110 and 130?

Jack Lalanne has done everything "right" regarding lifestyle except calorie restriction and potential longevity enhancing drugs....Do you think he's going to live to 130?
The hard fact is that many people just "wear out" due to generalized age related diseases and weakness at 85-90,That applies to athletes continuing exercising into old age as well...People don't live to 122 by escaping major killers,for doing that you have to age slower than what's normal for most people (read accumulate potential life-threatening damage slower)

Edited by Shonghow, 12 June 2008 - 01:07 AM.

#11 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:02 AM

Last time I read it was said that it raises 3 months per year, if it is 4 months already, that's great.

It was in a kurzweil article saying that we add 3 months to our life every year.
And saying that it will double every 10 years, so in 10 years we will add 6 months, in 20 years we add 12 a year per year and later we will actually control biology in a very high levels.

Of course it is not black and white and we will be doing much more than just adding time.
But if it is 4 months already, then only 8 months to go for the first stage!

Edited by Winterbreeze, 12 June 2008 - 05:03 AM.

#12 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:22 AM

I think I will celebrate tonight.

Im going to celebrate too.

Just don't do anything during the course of celebration that will shorten your lifespan by a large measure. :~

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:59 AM

I think that we might be in a bit of a sweet spot here, as both new and long-brewing methodological advances start to nip at the low-hanging fruit. There's no guarantee that anything like a Moore's law exists in this field, but the future has a positive bias. When a generation of obese Nintendo DS addicts starts getting older, we could see some pressure on the numbers. Pushing people past the 80's and 90's into seriously old age is going to require a whole new technology in SENS; one that we haven't had a hundred thousand doctors and scientists thinking about for half a century. Still, it's good enough news that I'll celebrate by eating two pounds of confectioners sugar with a spoon, wash it down with six pints of Guinness, then I'll take a spin on my motorcycle.

#14 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:56 AM

thats pretty interesting to hear although I don't see myself surviving past the 80s without some sort of advanced technology. Anyhow my birfday is after 2 days so I'm gonna eat a big chocolate cake and then go for a race.

#15 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:51 AM

The economic benefit that would occur from significantly driving up quality lifespans would make the last 3 centuries of economic expansion look trivial. The cost of the research is quite small when compared with the payoff.

Death rates from CVD have dropped by 63% and from stroke by 70% in the last 30 years, in large part as a result of NIH-funded research. Reduction in heart disease death rates increased the value of life by about $1.5 trillion annually from 1970-1990. Eliminating deaths from heart disease would generate about $48 trillion in economic value from increased life expectancy.

Source: NIH Fact Sheet

#16 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

Still, it's good enough news that I'll celebrate by eating two pounds of confectioners sugar with a spoon, wash it down with six pints of Guinness, then I'll take a spin on my motorcycle.

Must be a Tuesday night.

#17 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:47 PM

http://www.scb.se/te...rt____25830.asp

As everyone can see here the life expectancy in Sweden isn't going up very much any longer.

#18 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

As everyone can see here the life expectancy in Sweden isn't going up very much any longer.

But it is still rising every year. That's good.

#19 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:46 PM

Why not?

#20 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:20 PM

Why not?

I don't know why it isn't going up much more,it's the same tendency in all european countries...The life expectancy has only gone up 3 years since 1983

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:22 PM

Im thinking its that telomere thing.

#22 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

Which telomere thing?

Another fascinating news, brought by struct on http://www.imminst.o...o...st&p=221929: over the last 50 years, the MAXIMUM lifespan (avg top 100 lifespan in the world) increased roughly at the same rate as the AVERAGE lifespan !
This somehow contradicts the general opinion that we are reaching "lifespan rectangularization", i.e. approaching a maximum-lifespan-limit.

#23 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:11 PM

Well currently the oldest living person is 7 years younger than the oldest person ever.....

#24 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:25 PM

I wonder what would it be factoring out the 12.8% due to weak flu year, im too lazy to do it.

#25 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:53 PM

Well currently the oldest living person is 7 years younger than the oldest person ever.....

The comparison with Jeanne Calment is not statistically relevant (95% interval confidence: #NA).
That's why struct uses the age of the top 100 (not one) currently living (not once in human history) people.
In his thread he computed error estimates: those 'top 100 averages' are within an empirical 95% interval confidence< 1 year

#26 Wandering Jew

• 104 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:39 AM

Don't celebrate just yet,

Don't you need 12 months increase per year, year after year , to fight the battle to a standstill?

#27 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:41 AM

Don't celebrate just yet,

Don't you need 12 months increase per year, year after year , to fight the battle to a standstill?

Yes but some celebration now and then doesn't hurt :~

#28 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:24 AM

How can struct know who's the 100 oldest currently living people?there are only 74 supercentenarians there on the list? What about the remaining 26?

#29 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:13 PM

How can struct know who's the 100 oldest currently living people?there are only 74 supercentenarians there on the list? What about the remaining 26?

as he wrote, by "doing some peak fittings and extrapolations".
If you want to make statistics on the 50 oldest living people that would be nice.
I'm sure we would get similar results, but it would be a more presentable result indeed.

#30 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:19 PM

As of today (June 23) the average age of the 50 oldest living people is 112 years and 29 days. (including leap years)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users