• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Epilepsy, what can supplements do for me?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RicardoW

• 84 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:11 PM

I have taken AEDs for 4 years now (since I was 18) it not that bad but when I wasn't on them I felt a lot better (where I'm at now life at that time seams like an almost surreal experience). The drugs makes me feel slightly depressed and un motivated, I have to struggle to get over this feeling in my daily life.

My object is to quit taking my drugs (witch is not unrealistic) but before I start cutting down on my medication I want to be on a base of supplement, and maybe some herbs such as bacopa, that I might benefit from.

As I have bin locking for this on the internet I have fond dozens of pages claiming to cure epilepsy with there specials formula conducted by doctor X etc ;) (I almost quit because this made me fell like a moron, my doctor looked at me as if I where to, i was very happy to find imminst). I have also fond some study's conducting that rats provoked to have as seizure compared to control group benefit from having different supplements injected in there bloodstream. I fond this very interesting. Taurine seams be the number one supplement for epilepsy and is active in small doses as well (actually I have already ordered it yesterday). Vitamin B6 is good to as it is involved in the process of forming GABA (unfortunately I cant take it as it interacts with my medication). I have heard that Cognitive enhancers might be useful for epilepsy, for instance benfotiamin seams safe and I have the impression that many of you are taking it. Actually resveratrol seams to have some use for epilepsy to (but I not sure its safe) and if it has pleasant side effects to its grate. Melatonin seams good but I'm not sure it's a good idée for a young person to take it.

As I mentioned I'm interested in herbs to but I know even less abbot it.

Thanks a lot for any help on this! I'm willing to invest a lot of money in this (on any thing that's actually useful that is).

take care //Ricardo

Edited by RicardoW, 14 June 2008 - 10:21 PM.

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:50 PM

Tried a ketogenic diet?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:18 AM

look into neurofeedback

#4 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:27 AM

To make one thing sure: Supplements are no substitute for potent prescription antiepileptics! RicardoW, tell us which AEDs you were taking or are taking at the moment? Have you ever seen a psychiatrist? AEDs like eg. Lamotrigine have good mood stabilizing properties in both directions, and these modern drugs can perfectly be combined with antidepressants, some of which could give you motivation back. But please don't throw away your prescribed drugs.

#5 RicardoW

• Topic Starter
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:39 AM

Tried a ketogenic diet?

I have defiantly considered it when I get older, and have a more settled life I will (if I'm not well at that point that is). I won't take AEDs for a life time. I guess supplements can replace what is missing from fruits.

look into neurofeedback

I will, thanks.

[center]

To make one thing sure: Supplements are no substitute for potent prescription antiepileptics! RicardoW, tell us which AEDs you were taking or are taking at the moment? Have you ever seen a psychiatrist? AEDs like eg. Lamotrigine have good mood stabilizing properties in both directions, and these modern drugs can perfectly be combined with antidepressants, some of which could give you motivation back. But please don't throw away your prescribed drugs.

As I mentioned I have taken may AEDs consistently during a period of 4 years. I'm not really hoping to replace carpamzepine with supplements. I'm interested in improving me odds of succeeding to get of my AEDs. Some supplements (and maybe some cognitive exchangers to) seems to be very useful although you are probably right it can't replace carpamazepine.

I have tried some others drugs to my doctor told me that my medication only cased a slight drowsiness in some users and have few effects the nerve system as well as long term side effects (it doesn't effects the kidneys neater but I'm a bit concern abbot liver toxity from long term us, maybe you know any thing abbot this? ). I exercise almost every day an as long as I do I fell ok; I'm not on the couch al day (maybe the first thing I wrote gave that impression). I have social life to.

[size=3]I haven't heard of Lamotrigine I will take it up with my doctor at my next appointment, he seems sceptical abbot al new drugs for some reason. Unfortunly carpamazepin gives me strange dreams almost every night, I'm not that messed up or have any personal problems really its simply a side effect that this drug have on me.

Edited by RicardoW, 15 June 2008 - 09:42 AM.

#6 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

I hope your doctor is a neurologist and not a general practitioner. Simple blood tests would show any liver toxicity very early (gamma-GT, GOT, GPT). You can find some information about Lamotrigine on Wikipedika: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Lamotrigine

You may also look in the antiepileptic Levetiracetam (www.Keppra.com) which is a derivate of the smart drug Piracetam.

Edited by unbreakable, 15 June 2008 - 12:14 PM.

#7 RicardoW

• Topic Starter
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

Dos any one think that supplementing with:

Cognitive enhancers such as:

Piracetam

Antioxidants that crosses the blood barrier such as:

Resveratrol

And maybe some herbal supplements for instance:

Bacopa

Actually might improve epilepsy. Is there any evidence for this (I haven't bin able to find any). Piracetam is even used for Parkinson, so why not? Am I naive thinking that I might?

Edited by RicardoW, 15 June 2008 - 12:14 PM.

#8 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

Piracetam is even used for Parkinson, so why not?

See above: You may also look in the antiepileptic Levetiracetam (www.Keppra.com) which is a derivate of the smart drug Piracetam.

#9 RicardoW

• Topic Starter
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:44 PM

Levetiracetam, This is basically the same as the drug I'm on now (to bad it doesn't have more similarities to Piracetam):

Side effects include: hair loss; pins and needles sensation in the extremities; psychiatric symptoms ranging from irritability to depression; and other common side effects like headache and nausea. Recent literature[1] (and paper 2.163 in [2]) suggests that the addition of pyridoxine (vitamin B6) may curtail some of the psychiatric symptoms.

Lamotrigine, doesn't seams that good nether:

Cognitive side effects are common with doses over 50mg qid (quater in die - four times daily), as shown in the 2001-2003 Glaxo-sponsored Clinical Trials comparing quality of life between Topiramate and Lamotrigine in healthy volunteers (unpublished).[citation needed] Common side effects include headaches, dizziness and insomnia. Other side effects may include acne and skin irritation, vivid dreams or nightmares, night sweats, body aches and cramps, muscle aches, dry mouth, fatigue, memory and cognitive problems, irritability, weight changes, hair loss, changes in libido, frequent urination, nausea, and other side effects.

Actually I think I'm better of taking carpamazepine. Both Levetiracetam and Lamotrigine are relatively new, maybe they have unknown risk's. Carpamzepin on the other hand have bin used for a long time, and case little long term side effects.

What I'm locking for are stuff, natural or chemical, that is free from side effect. Obviously some thing will happen, but is it really impossible to get positive side effects and get release from seizures?

Edited by RicardoW, 15 June 2008 - 12:46 PM.

#10 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:42 PM

Supplements, as Unbreakable mentioned, are generally
supportive and no match for powerful anticonvulsants.

Taurine and magnesium are the first that come to mind.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

Alan Gaby's writeup in Thorne is informative.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....text/12/1/9.pdf

Stop those energy drinks :

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

#11 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:44 PM

Ricardo: I can assure you that Levetiracetam is not "basically the same drug that you are now on". In general people tolerate it good. And Lamotrigine is a great drug which helps many neurological and mentally ill patients. Have you ever looked at the side effect profile of your current medication:

Carbamazepine is known to render many hormonal contraception products ineffective, due to its action as a cytochrome P450 enzyme inducer, which is the system that metabolizes many oral contraceptives. Carbamazepine causes more cytochrome P450 enzyme to be produced, which hastens removal of the contraceptive from the blood plasma although the clinical significance of this effect is debatable.

Common side effects include drowsiness, motor coordination impairment and/or upset stomach. Carbamazepine preparations may also greatly decrease a person's alcohol tolerance.

Less common side effects include cardiac arrhythmias, blurry or double vision and/or the temporary loss of blood cells or platelets and in rare cases can cause aplastic anemia. With normal use, small reductions in white cell count and serum sodium are common, however, in rare cases, the loss of platelets may become life-threatening. This occurs commonly enough that a doctor may recommend frequent blood tests during the first few months of use, followed by three to four tests per year for established patients. In the UK, testing is generally performed much less frequently for long-term carbamazepine patients -typically once per year. Additionally, carbamazepine may exacerbate preexisting cases of hypothyroidism, so yearly thyroid function tests are advisable for persons taking the drug.

There are also reports of an auditory side effect for carbamazepine use, whereby patients perceive sounds about a semitone lower than their actual pitch. Thus, middle C would be heard as the note B3 just below it, etc. This unusual side-effect is usually not noticed by most people, and quickly disappears after the person stops taking carbamazepine.

Oxcarbazepine, a derivative of carbamazepine, reportedly has fewer and less serious side effects.

Carbamazepine may cause SIADH (syndrome of inappropriate anti-diuretic hormone), since it both increases the release and potentiates the action of ADH (vasopressin).

Carbamazepine may aggravate juvenile myoclonic epilepsy, so it is important to mention any history of jerking, especially in the morning, before starting to take this drug.

Pregnant women taking carbamazepine put their fetuses at increased risk for teratogenic effects. As a result, they should be given folic acid supplementation and undergo prenatal ultrasonography for diagnosis.

In addition, carbamazepine has been linked to serious adverse cognitive anomalies, including EEG slowing[4] and cell apoptosis.[5]

The FDA informed healthcare professionals that dangerous or even fatal skin reactions (Stevens Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis), that can be caused by carbamazepine therapy, are significantly more common in patients with a particular human leukocyte antigen (HLA) allele, HLA-B*1502. This allele occurs almost exclusively in patients with ancestry across broad areas of Asia, including South Asian Indians.

What I'm locking for are stuff, natural or chemical, that is free from side effect. Obviously some thing will happen, but is it really impossible to get positive side effects and get release from seizures?

Drugs with potent effects do have side effects, thats a fact ;-).

#12 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

I have experience using Lyrica, Neurontin, and Keppra for muscle tension. No side effects, but they're too weak to want to use as monotherapy. A friend was on Topamax for migraine prevention and had to stop because the side effects were so awful. Piracetam augments anticonvulsants, so it's worth trying. Nefiracetam seems to complement Keppra if you ever go that route.

J Neural Transm. 2004 Sep;111(9):1121-39.
Effects of piracetam alone and in combination with antiepileptic drugs in rodent seizure models.
Fischer W, Kittner H, Regenthal R, Russo E, De Sarro G.
Rudolf-Boehm-Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Leipzig, Germany. fisw@medizin.uni-leipzig.de

The nootropic drug piracetam was investigated in various experimental models of epilepsy. Generally, piracetam exhibits no or only moderate anticonvulsant properties against generalized tonic or clonic seizures. However, in many cases it did increase the anticonvulsant effectiveness of conventional antiepileptics, as shown in the maximal electroshock seizure (MES) threshold test, the traditional MES test or in DBA/2 mice. A pharmacokinetic interaction does not seem to be responsible for this effect. In lethargic mice, a model of absence seizures, piracetam significantly decreased the incidence and duration of spike-wave discharges. Furthermore, in the cobalt-induced focal epilepsy model piracetam reduced the number of spikes/min and in the hippocampal stimulation model it increased the anticonvulsant potency of phenobarbital and phenytoin after single and repeated administration. In conclusion, the well tolerated piracetam itself did not show marked anticonvulsant effects in most screening tests, however, its co-medication with antiepileptic drugs improved seizure protection in various models which may bear potential clinical significance.

PMID: 15338329

Epilepsia. 2005 Oct;46(10):1561-8.
Effects of Nefiracetam, a novel pyrrolidone-type nootropic agent, on the amygdala-kindled seizures in rats.
Kitano Y, Komiyama C, Makino M, Kasai Y, Takasuna K, Kinoshita M, Yamazaki O, Takazawa A, Yamauchi T, Sakurada S.
New Product Research Laboratories II, Daiichi Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., Edogawa-ku, Tokyo. kitanpms@daiichipharm.co.jp

PURPOSE: Nefiracetam (NEF) is a novel pyrrolidonetype nootropic agent, and it has been reported to possess various pharmacologic effects as well as cognition-enhancing effects. The present study focused on the effects of NEF in amygdala-kindled seizures and its potential for antiepileptic therapy. METHODs: Effects of NEF on fully amygdala-kindled seizures and development of amygdala-kindled seizures were investigated in rats and compared with those of levetiracetam (LEV), a pyrrolidone-type antiepileptic drug (AED). RESULTS: In fully amygdala-kindled rats, NEF (25, 50, and 100 mg/kg, p.o.) decreased afterdischarge induction, afterdischarge duration, seizure stage, and motor seizure duration in a dose-dependent manner. LEV (25, 50, and 100 mg/kg, p.o.) had no effects on afterdischarge induction and slightly decreased afterdischarge duration, whereas it markedly decreased seizure stage and motor seizure duration. In contrast to the results in fully amygdala-kindled rats, NEF (25 and 50 mg/kg/day, p.o.) had few or no effects on the development of amygdala-kindled seizures. As well as fully amygdala-kindled seizures, LEV (50 mg/kg/day, p.o.) markedly inhibited the development of behavioral seizures without reducing daily afterdischarge duration. CONCLUSIONS: Although NEF possesses potent anticonvulsant effects on fully amygdala-kindled seizures, it has few or no effects on the development of amygdala-kindled seizures. LEV shows marked anticonvulsant effects on both phases of kindling. In fully amygdala-kindled rats, NEF inhibits both electroencephalographic and behavioral seizures, whereas LEV inhibits only behavioral seizures. This double dissociation suggests that NEF has a distinct anticonvulsant spectrum and mechanisms from those of LEV.

PMID: 16190926

Semin Neurol. 2002 Mar;22(1):27-39.
Some common issues in the use of antiepileptic drugs.
Asconapé JJ.
Department of Neurology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202-5250, USA.

Since 1993, eight new antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) have become available in the United States for the treatment of epilepsy: felbamate, gabapentin, lamotrigine, topiramate, tiagabine, levetiracetam, oxcarbazepine, and zonisamide. Of the older AEDs, six continue to be widely used: phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone, ethosuximide, carbamazepine, and valproate. As a result, there is a relatively large number of alternative AEDs for the treatment of any given type of epilepsy. This has been particularly beneficial for patients with generalized epilepsies, both idiopathic and symptomatic. Given the wide availability of effective agents, the toxicity and pharmacokinetic profile of an AED have become major factors in the selection process. A number of common clinical situations may benefit from the abundance of AEDs. Chronic toxicity observed with some of the older AEDs such as osteoporosis, gingival hyperplasia, or alterations in reproductive endocrine function may be avoided with the use of the newer agents. The obese patient with epilepsy may benefit from the use of AEDs such as topiramate or zonisamide, which have a tendency to produce weight loss. In patients with a history of drug-induced skin rash, AEDs such as valproate, gabapentin, topiramate, tiagabine, and levetiracetam carry a lower risk of cross-reactivity. In patients sensitive to cognitive dysfunction, drugs with a favorable profile include gabapentin, tiagabine, lamotrigine, oxcarbazepine, and levetiracetam. A more favorable pharmacokinetic profile is observed in the majority of the newer AEDs in contraposition to the classic agents. Good absorption, linear kinetics, and low drug-drug interaction potential make these drugs easier to use. The newer AEDs are eliminated through different combinations of liver metabolism and direct renal excretion, thus providing a wider variety of choices in patients with failure of one of these organs. Some specific problems have been found with some of the newer AEDs. Hyponatremia, known to occur rarely with carbamazepine use, appears to be more common with oxcarbazepine. Felbamate has been associated with a high incidence of aplastic anemia and liver failure and should be used exceptionally. Acute angle closure glaucoma has been observed with the use of topiramate. This complication occurs early in the course of therapy and reverses rapidly with discontinuation of the drug, so physician and patient awareness of this problem is very important. In this article several common clinical situations in the management of patients with epilepsy are presented in the form of case studies. These cases illustrate some current aspects of the use of the AEDs and will give some guidelines to help the treating physician in the increasingly complex process of AED selection.

PMID: 12170391

#13 RicardoW

• Topic Starter
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:25 PM

Ricardo: I can assure you that Levetiracetam is not "basically the same drug that you are now on". In general people tolerate it good. And Lamotrigine is a great drug which helps many neurological and mentally ill patients. Have you ever looked at the side effect profile of your current medication:

I agree that carpamazepine do have some serious side effect, how ever they accrue rarely. And the other side effect seams to be the same but maybe they are milder with the drugs you mention. In general I do have some concerns with new drugs unexpected side effects have occurred before. Felbamat I a good example much like Kepra it was marketed extensively and after some time it cased sever liver toxicity many patients as well as some kind of degeneration of the spinal.

Older medications must also still be used for a good reason (For instance I think that carpamazepine is prescribe much more often then kaplar), I hop doctors don't prefer prescribing older drugs simply because the are cheaper?

Tanks for that post krillin!

Nefiracetam seams good, and I have never heard of it before. Maybe its better than Levetiracetam or Lamotrigine, what do you think unbreakable? Maybe it's a side effect free treatment for epilepsy. But I'm not sure a neurologist would be willing to prescribe it.

apparently the toxin of Buthus martenssi karsch (scorpion) contains a polypeptide that blocks Na+ ions in the brain (Kepra is believes to function by this mechanism to). Scorpion has bin used for this purpose for a long time in chine's medicine. The effect from this toxin seams to be very exact. And it has bin investigated thorough in the hop of developing new drugs. I would never dare using any thing like this. Although the lethal dos is surprisingly high. and it is still used extensivly.

I fond this they other day:

http://www.hnmrc.net/pd840424048.html?categoryId=42

They use scorpion and scolopendra (contains an even stronger neurotoxin).

Cn11, the first example of a scorpion toxin that is a true blocker of Na+ currents in crayfish neurons

Martha E. Ramirez-Dominguez1, Timoteo Olamendi-Portugal1, Ubaldo Garcia2, Consuelo Garcia1, Hugo Arechiga3 and Lourival D. Possani1,*

1 Department of Molecular Recognition and Structural Biology, Biotechnology Institute, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Avenida Universidad 2001, Cuernavaca 62210, México,
2 Department of Physiology, Biophysics and Neurosciences, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del I.P.N. México DF 07000 and
3 Division of Graduate Studies and Research, Medical School, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Ciudad Universitaria, México DF 04510

*Author for correspondence (e-mail: possani@ibt.unam.mx )

Accepted 4 January 2002

A novel crustacean toxin (Cn11) was isolated and characterized from the venom of the Mexican scorpion Centruroides noxius Hoffmann. It contains 63 amino acid residues and is stabilized by four disulphide bridges. It is lethal to crustaceans (Cambarellus montezumae), less toxic to insects (crickets) and non-toxic to mammals (mice) at the doses assayed. In neurons isolated from the X organ–sinus gland system of the crayfish Procambarus clarkii, it blocks the Na+ currents with an estimated Km of 320 nmol l–1, without affecting the Ca2+ and K+ currents. The voltage-gated tetrodotoxin-sensitive Na+ current was recorded from X organ neurons in culture 24 h after plating using the whole-cell clamp configuration. The Na+ current was isolated by blocking Ca2+ currents with Cd2+ and Cs+ and K+ currents with tetraethylammonium and 4-aminopyridine. Under control conditions, the Na+ currents were activated at –40 mV with a maximum amplitude at 0 mV. In the presence of 1 µmol l–1 Cn11, the Na+ current amplitude was reduced by 75 % without apparent modifications to the gating mechanism. These findings suggest that Cn11 selectively blocks a Na+ channel. It is the first representative of a new group of scorpion toxins specific for this molecular target.

Key words: amino acid sequence, Centruroides noxius, crayfish, neuron, Na+ channel, Procambarus clarkii, scorpion toxin.

Edited by RicardoW, 17 June 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#14 k10

• Guest, F@H
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:43 AM

Any supplement that increases GABA:

Valerian, ashwaghanda, l-theanine, Picamilon, Niacin, GABA

The best GABA supplement you could possible take however is PHENIBUT. It is a prescription medication in Russia I believe. It is being investigated for use in epilepsy, it works very similar to drugs like clonazepam.

5-htp is also a great supplement. I've read on another message board a members seizures stopping after starting it.

Vitamin E (800 iu) and Magnesium (400-1000mg) are musts. Taurine is great too. All three are neuroprotective.

Take between 2grams, up to 10 grams of Vitamin C a day. A B-50 complex too.

Make sure you are also taking a good multi-mineral formula that has all the trace minerals in it. Boron, manganese, zinc etc.
( I would recommend doing a hair mineral analysis to see if you are severely deficient in any of the trace minerals, and if you are supplement that mineral in large dosages. )

You might mant to read a little about intravenous vitamin therapy as well.

The best prescription medication to take with the supplements would probably be the COMBO of clonazepam (or valium) & gabapentin.

And a change in lifestyle, and eating habits is a must. Do yoga (research has shown it increase GABA in the brain by as much as 30%), do progressive muscle relaxation (The Anxiety Handbook by Dr. Burns has a good summary of how to do it, along with dozens of other great recommendations in managing anxiety)........... talk to someone...... take calm walks... deep breath...

You get the picture, there are tons of things out there that can help you. EXPERIMENT, find out what works for you, and stick to it.

Good luck.

Edited by k10, 22 June 2008 - 05:50 AM.

#15 aaron_e

• 117 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:30 AM

you might look into the mineral manganese. i take it in a 1 to 1 ratio with zinc. i take manganese at different times during the day than my magnesium supplements, so there is less competition for uptake between them.

#16 aaron_e

• 117 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:44 AM

you might look into the mineral manganese. i take it in a 1 to 1 ratio with zinc. i take manganese at different times during the day than my magnesium supplements, so there is less competition for uptake between them.

make that a 2 zinc to 1 manganese ratio.

#17 nuzz

• 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:33 AM

I agree with the person who said not to throw away your prescriptions. This is a serious problem (I just found out I probably have it myself, won't be confirmed yet until another test). I don't know for sure, but the symptoms started around the time that I started taking a lot of mineral supplements. I would not recommend starting a lot of new supplements at once, so start with one at a time.

I haven't been here in awhile, but all of a sudden I feel very, very 'un-immortal', and have a new and more urgent appreciation for the importance of life-saving technologies...

#18 themanymens

• 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

I have taken AEDs for 4 years now (since I was 18) it not that bad but when I wasn't on them I felt a lot better (where I'm at now life at that time seams like an almost surreal experience). The drugs makes me feel slightly depressed and un motivated, I have to struggle to get over this feeling in my daily life. My object is to quit taking my drugs (witch is not unrealistic) but before I start cutting down on my medication I want to be on a base of supplement, and maybe some herbs such as bacopa, that I might benefit from. As I have bin locking for this on the internet I have fond dozens of pages claiming to cure epilepsy with there specials formula conducted by doctor X etc :) (I almost quit because this made me fell like a moron, my doctor looked at me as if I where to, i was very happy to find imminst). I have also fond some study's conducting that rats provoked to have as seizure compared to control group benefit from having different supplements injected in there bloodstream. I fond this very interesting. Taurine seams be the number one supplement for epilepsy and is active in small doses as well (actually I have already ordered it yesterday). Vitamin B6 is good to as it is involved in the process of forming GABA (unfortunately I cant take it as it interacts with my medication). I have heard that Cognitive enhancers might be useful for epilepsy, for instance benfotiamin seams safe and I have the impression that many of you are taking it. Actually resveratrol seams to have some use for epilepsy to (but I not sure its safe) and if it has pleasant side effects to its grate. Melatonin seams good but I'm not sure it's a good idée for a young person to take it.As I mentioned I'm interested in herbs to but I know even less abbot it. Thanks a lot for any help on this! I'm willing to invest a lot of money in this (on any thing that's actually useful that is).take care //Ricardo

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 themanymens

• 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

Yes, supplements can even cure seizures. If your doctor can find no brain injury as the cause of your seizures, then the next step is magnesium. The best pill form is bio-glycinate/lysinate found in High Absorbtion Magnesium. It is a genuine di-peptide chelate. Swanson Food Products has one without calcium. It is an Albion chelate. Do not purchase any without the Albion stamp.

To correct a magnesium deficiency you need to take 10 mg of magnesium per pound of body weight every single day. Do not take calcium supplements until your body is magnesium loaded. However, start slowly with 200-300 mg of magnesium per day.
Keep adding 100 mg per week until you reach 10 mg magnesium per pound of body weight. If at any time your bowel movement becomes unformed, reduce to former level for one week and then try again. You cannot overdose on magnesium if you follow these guidelines.

Besides no calcium supplements, remove all processed flour and sugar from your diet. No soda pop, candy, ice-cream, etc., etc., etc. Make your own sweets using honey or fruit sweeteners and whole grain flours. In fact, you should remove as many processed foods from your diet as possible. No milk. The really bad thing about processed foods with their dyes, white sugar, flour, and processed oils is not so much that they contribute absolutely nothing as far as vitamins and minerals, but that they rob the body of already low stores just to get rid of them. Read up on milk and how it depletes the body.

Also take the following daily: 100 mg of Vitamin B6, 400-500 mg of chromium picolinate, and make sure your Vitamin C is covered. Taurine and boron also help the body absorb magnesium.

The first thing any doctor should do when confronted with seizures is to check glucose levels and do an ionized magnesium load test.

Do not drink bottled water unless it is a mineral water. All trace minerals have been removed in the majority of bottled waters. Do not use a water softner. Water softners remove the magnesium and calcium which makes water hard, clogging up pipes, etc.
but where does that leave you? You cannot get enough magnesium from foods grown on our depleted soils. Our soils were depleted as far back as the 1930's. If you have the money, join an organic co-op which should give you 26 weeks of healthy, nutritious fresh foods.

Make sure your doctor checks your prescription drug levels and you should be able to wean off of them. For anyone out there who is suffering unexplained seizures, depression, type II diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, migraines, joint pain, pms, etc., etc., etc., check out the list of conditions caused by a single mineral deficiency. That mineral is magnesium and it is a miracle drug that needs no prescription and cost a few cents a day.

Once you are magnesium loaded, unless you exercise a lot, 4.5 mg per day per pound of body weight should suffice. Then add back calcium, but not at an amount higher than a 2 calcium to 1 magnesium ratio. No more acid reflux!

Did you know that the old wives tale cure for seizures was 1/2 tsp. epsom salts in a glass of orange juice? Epsom salts are magnesium and sulfates. Sulfates help the body rid itself of toxins. Magnesium sulfate was also used to treat mercury poisoning.
Have you been tested for toxic substances? Lead? If not, ask your doctor to do so.

I have no idea what the connection between orange juice and magnesium is but would love to hear from anyone out there. I'm assuming it's the Vitamin C, but is there something else going on?

Good luck to all out there. If I can prevent the devastation that was done to my son and to our family because of this downward spiral of seizures, depression and addictions, then maybe on some level it would have been worth it, but I would not wish this condition on my worst enemy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users