• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Longecity blogs, your blogs, make a blog

blog blogging longecity your views tell us what you think write about the cause

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:55 PM

I encourage everybody here to blog at the blogs here at Longecity.

When a topic comes to mind, expand it into a blog for everybody to check out. If the blog section gets moving more then it could help draw in traffic for the cause. We may even promote them through things like having the internet networking team link good ones up at digg and places like that.

The blog spot here is a more free place to talk about life extension stuff thats on your mind and organize it all so it doesnt get buried in the forums. Its a dynamic of this place that I think could really get important discussions and concepts flowing through here even more.

There is a blog competition thing around here someplace too. I forget where that link is. If you know then please post it here.

If your blogs are good then you are also now eligible to receive points for them. I list blogging contributions here and we determine points from there.

http://www.longecity.org/forum/blogs/

Edited by brokenportal, 04 April 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#2 nootrope

• 88 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:26 AM

I think I won that blog competition! They gave me $50! But you remind me to continue updating...

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:27 AM

Thats awsome. I thought I was paying attention, but I didnt see the updates. Congradulations for sure. Has your winning blog been dug? Can you link it here for us?

More blogs nootrope, lets keep it moving. Remember, in the future when indefinite life extension passes that critical threhold as they call it, it will be as popular as the number one shows of our time, americas best dance crew x 1 billion.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

It would be fun to see how much life extension/transhumanist activity is out there in blogs. Could get a carnival going on a monthly (or, if not that much activity, tri-monthly) basis. Eg. something like "Carnival of the Future", or simply "Carnival of Transhumanism". Maybe there already is one...

- Tracy

#5 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:40 PM

I really should blog more, but I just don't think I'd have a large readership--I mean 'teaching cryonics to children' really what is the market for that? :)

http://www.depressedmetabolism.com/

#6 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:32 PM

Ok, I started a blog here (third button to the left of Active Topics)-and will have to figure out how to actually blog in in, instead of getting my various futurist musings sated in the general forums :). Perhaps if we get more people blogging, there could be a nice competition to see who gets to stay in the top positions :).

#7 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:50 AM

Shannon- If we can get the blogs moving I think you would have a pretty good readership. Any ideas on getting people to blog more? If you remember, make it to the wednesay 4pm cst time brainstorming meeting in the ustream.

For anybody who doesnt know the location, its at this link: imminsts ustream broadcast channel with chat

Everybody- Ive been adding random life extension slogans and catch phrases that come to mind to a blog. Please add yours there too. Please also blog.

I like this slogan in particular:

"The time you spend on life extension is no big sacrifice in comparison to the amount of
time youll gain. The amount of time you do not spend on life extension on the other hand
is a big sacrifice in comparison to the amount of time youll lose."

#8 justinb

• 726 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:10 AM

I have a blog here..

click here

#9 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:11 AM

And I've a blog (mostly dealing with diet & health) here:

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com

#10 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:38 PM

Interesting blogs. I left some comments.

Does anybody else have a blog? Please start a blog here in the imminst.org blogs and post the link.

We can then go to the blogs and comment and leave imminst links to get people to come here and to increase the ranking of imminst in search engines. (the more outside links the internet finds, the higher the site ranking)

#11 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:45 AM

There have been some interesting new blogs, I encourage you all to make some or make some more.

Here are a few of mine that I thought were particularily interesting:

http://www.imminst.o...p;showentry=289

http://www.imminst.o...p;showentry=292

Promote yours here too. Action in the imminst blogs will generate more action in the imminst blogs.
Maybe an article style writer who we can use the blogs of to include as articles on the front page of imminst will emerge too. Mind has a topic around here somewhere requesting such writing.

#12 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

I already bitched about this in another thread, but Lord have mercy these blog posts look like hell. Hurts the eyes. Some of the posts don't even have proper paragraphs! How is that going to promote the agenda?

#13 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:54 AM

From what I can see, this is more like a creative writing, journal style, place to post things, kind of like a sub forum for yourself.

This is not, from what I know about this, supposed to be like an accellerating future blog, or a longevity meme blog or something like that. There are some poorly written blog entries in this imminst blog, thats true, but there are also a lot of great blogs. If more people blogged there then the better blogs would pick up more of a following. This could be used as a source for extracting well written blogs for an official blog, for the imminst front page, and or for the imminst newsletter.

Mind has been looking for people to submit well written articles for the front page. Mind and neonexus are getting together to launch the imminst newsletter. Another more formal blog is a good idea too and is being worked on by various people around Imminst. Stay tuned for more of all of these things and where you can, get in on the action. We need help everywhere.

#14 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

A newsletter is a great idea. Maybe something like LEF's newsletter but with less advertising of products? The good thing about LEF's newsletter is that their attitude towards life extension is so positive. They're always hyping stuff, and I think a little bit of that hype wouldn't do the imminst newsletter harm.

Before publishing the newsletter, I'd consider carefully what the intended audience is. Is it members or people who don't know that much about life extension? Trying to cater to both may not work that well. I'd target the latter audience, but then the difficulty is getting the right people the subscribe.

Btw, I don't think the imminst.org website looks bad, but it doesn't look inviting either. That whole dark blue theme has a cold and distant feel to it, and I'm betting it's turning a lot of random visitors off the whole thing. I'm telling you, green, yellow, light blue and white are the way to go. You know, the sun rising over the savannah, people hugging people, smiling lions, that sort of thing.

#15 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:28 AM

That last time I looked through a LEF magazine it was nothing but vitamin hype. We would need something geared toward helping meme indefinite life extension. Not with terms like Immortality, but definently with terms like the Longevity Dividend uses, like car uses, and like the Longevity Communities Network page is going to be primarily using once we get that up and going.

If your saying we should put a positive spin on the indefinite life extension meme, then yes of course. We need to word it as though its already happening, because it is. We need to not word it as though we are asking for peoples permission, for them to validate this cause. We put it out there in a positive light in way thats like, "heres whats going on, get with the program." but in an inviting way. Like the techniques on line 36 of LEEEP go over.

As for the intended audience, yes, that will need to be taken into account and all material will need to be filtered through the criteria.

As for colors other than blue, I read a bunch of studies showing that blue is most inviting. I dont really like blue myself, but if its most inviting then I would stick with it. If you can show some studies that might persuade toward another color though then please do bring them up.

#16 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

I have a blog about calorie restriction:
http://cr4life.blogspot.com

#17 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:58 AM

JLL or Johan, would either of you, (or anybody else out there?) consider trying your hand at running the imminst blog? You would want to write about the things going on around here, probably once a week at the least, maybe just once a month. We would all have to discuss the points. We could give you some small incentives, and we could consider getting that link its own imminst blog front page. Im not very familiar with blogs, can we then like, enter, or list, this imminst blog in some kind of various blog spots? Do you all know about that through your blogspot blogging?

#18 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:21 AM

JLL or Johan, would either of you, (or anybody else out there?) consider trying your hand at running the imminst blog? You would want to write about the things going on around here, probably once a week at the least, maybe just once a month. We would all have to discuss the points. We could give you some small incentives, and we could consider getting that link its own imminst blog front page. Im not very familiar with blogs, can we then like, enter, or list, this imminst blog in some kind of various blog spots? Do you all know about that through your blogspot blogging?

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "the things going on around here"? Does that mean things like the laser research grant, or the supplement discussion on the forums, or both?

Also, what kind of incentives?

We can list the blog on websites that list blogs, but it doesn't do much good. The best way to get visitors is to have good content and comment on other blogs.

#19 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "the things going on around here"? Does that mean things like the laser research grant, or the supplement discussion on the forums, or both?

Also, what kind of incentives?

We can list the blog on websites that list blogs, but it doesn't do much good. The best way to get visitors is to have good content and comment on other blogs.

By things going on around here, I mean here and the cause in general. You could write about say, SENS 4 and link to a discussion on it here and there. Theres the HEALES concert, the lipo fund, folding at home team, sunday evening update stuff, by law and user agreement change updates, theres meetings, you could write on the status of imminsts upgrades, art team, internetworking team, the store is getting going, the newsletter is getting going, and things like those if you want to.

The incentives are just barely even pittance. We would list you in sources like the newsletters as a volunteer and enter you in the prize drawings. The drawings are small at this point, just t shirts, but we'll be working to get that to grow over time. Im planning to propose a fund raiser with in a possible future fundraiser page that would work to collect donations for the volunteer prize system. You never know how much that might collect. Of course, most of all it helps the cause and inspires more people to volunteer and join teams and what not.

So, we could list this blog in other blog places, and then we could get it more traffic by posting in other peoples blogs via the name we sign up for in those other blog places right? Sounds good. Im also hoping we can get this blog its own front page too, but I dont know about that for sure. We could call the front page something like Imminstblog.org

#20 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

To all, Vgamer is looking for feedback on his new blog.

Im not to familiar with blogs in general. It looks like there might be some kind of tools in the imminst blog section to get these blog out on the net more, maybe syndicate them into some kind of blog service or something. If anybody knows about that then let us know.

#21 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

Sorry it took me so long to answer your question, this thread got lost somewhere. Long story short: I don't have the time to run the blog.

So, we could list this blog in other blog places, and then we could get it more traffic by posting in other peoples blogs via the name we sign up for in those other blog places right? Sounds good. Im also hoping we can get this blog its own front page too, but I dont know about that for sure. We could call the front page something like Imminstblog.org

Well these "blog places", if you mean lists of blogs, are pretty useless in my opinion for drawing traffic. They may be useful for increasing Google Pagerank, however.

Commenting on other, related blogs and posting a link to the imminst blog would attract some random visitors but that's it. No increase in Pagerank, though.

The only way to really get readers is to write interesting content.

That said, even a less-than-perfect blog would be good for drawing visitors to the site, because Google would index the blog posts. So if there's five blog posts about a SENS conference and someone happens to google "SENS conference", chances are the blog appears in the top 20 hits.

Edited by JLL, 26 August 2009 - 09:36 PM.

#22 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

Here's my blog link:

http://www.imminst.o...t...;blogid=81

My first entry is very long, so you might want to skip it at first. I'm going to be using it as a reference since it's pretty much an autobiography. I have a lot to write, so expect new entries frequently.

#23 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:21 PM

If you have a blog that is about the cause or related to the cause then please list it here. I have come across a variety of people that do, but I cant remember them all.

It would be nice to be able to collect them for possible projects/ideas/promotion, and I also want to go through the blogs and see if we cant put together a proposal for people with blogs about the cause elsewhere to do something like, dedicate one per month as the imminst blog, and then it would go here. We could then even consider linking the imminst blog to its own front page. We could also enter it in to those blog syndicating places.

#24 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:48 AM

I write a blog for some of my friends to keep them up to date

paleoinvancouver.blogspot.com

#25 ImmortalPlan

• 20 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

I have a blog about calorie restriction and the paleo diet. It is a mix of my own personal experiences/thoughts, recipes, and research on different topics.

PaleoCRON Blog

#26 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

Sorry for bumping an older topic. This seemed like a good place though.

Here's my latest blog: http://blightofdeath...ry-concern.html

#27 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

I have a blog about calorie restriction and the paleo diet. It is a mix of my own personal experiences/thoughts, recipes, and research on different topics.

PaleoCRON Blog

Just wanted to say I love your blog.

#28 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

I’m posting my latest blog here because I still have restricted access. The issue should get resolved soon.

http://blightofdeath...01_archive.html

#29 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:12 AM

I write a blog for some of my friends to keep them up to date

paleoinvancouver.blogspot.com

This is my favourite blog on the net right now, but Sillewater has just moved it to a much more appropriately titled Beyond Paleo.

#30 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:56 AM

This is my favourite blog on the net right now, but Sillewater has just moved it to a much more appropriately titled Beyond Paleo.

Thanks eVo!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blog, blogging, longecity, your views, tell us what you think, write about the cause

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users