- - - - -

Polypodium Leucotomos extract: a neutraceutical with photoprotective p

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

A nice overview of the science of oral PLE (Heliocare). Have in mind that this paper is produced by the pharmaceutical company behind the extract. But there´s plenty of independent research (mostly animal but a few clinical studies on humans) on this extract pointing to a real preventative effect against photoaging and skin cancer.

The human studies used 7.5 mg per kg. I weigh 63 kg (139 pounds) so two pills (total of 480 mg) 30-60 min before breakfast is adequate. If you weigh more, consider calorie restriction (kidding!) or adjust accordingly. If your´re expecting a full day of strong sunshine you can take an additional pill every 4 hours.

Attached Files

Edited by Fredrik, 30 June 2008 - 09:42 AM.

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for that paper Fredrik. I didn't know the dose was so high. the recommended dosage on the side of the package is 240mg. Anyhow, I'm sure the paper will be a nice read. Even if it is a little sideways.

by the way....I'm mainly using it for it's anti-christ superstar properties

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Fredrik

• Topic Starter
  • 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

Anyhow, I'm sure the paper will be a nice read. Even if it is a little sideways.

You´re right. I´ll have to talk to my secretary. Very unprofessional. It´s so hard to find good people these days.

by the way....I'm mainly using it for it's anti-christ superstar properties

hahaha

Edited by Fredrik, 30 June 2008 - 10:26 AM.

#4 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:30 AM

So I wonder how this compares to the less exotic tomato paste

http://news.sky.com/...1314383,00.html

I also wonder what sort of results a combination of PL, tomato paste, and other protective substances might have.

A nice overview of the science of oral PLE (Heliocare). Have in mind that this paper is produced by the pharmaceutical company behind the extract. But there´s plenty of independent research (mostly animal but a few clinical studies on humans) on this extract pointing to a real preventative effect against photoaging and skin cancer.

The human studies used 7.5 mg per kg. I weigh 63 kg (139 pounds) so two pills (total of 480 mg) 30-60 min before breakfast is adequate. If you weigh more, consider calorie restriction (kidding!) or adjust accordingly. If your´re expecting a full day of strong sunshine you can take an additional pill every 4 hours.

#5 Fredrik

• Topic Starter
  • 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

So I wonder how this compares to the less exotic tomato paste

http://news.sky.com/...1314383,00.html

I also wonder what sort of results a combination of PL, tomato paste, and other protective substances might have.

I think they´re additive. Just like oral C + E is. I´ve eaten 55 gram of tomato paste everyday the past two years (together with steamed broccoli, gives prostate cancer protection to rats at least). The new double strentgth Heliocare Ultra also contains lutein and lycopene + C and E. I just ordered 12 bottles of the standard Heliocare. I get the goodies from tomato paste instead of from that Ultra formula.

Edited by Fredrik, 01 July 2008 - 11:38 PM.

#6 Fredrik

• Topic Starter
  • 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

Ah, just found it. I knew I read somewhere that PLE supplementation equals about an SPF 3 all over your body, including scalp and lips (and possibly eyes? I don´t know). I know that sounds low but in reality it´s excellent. It´s more than most people get from using a sunscreen because you don´t apply a sunscreen all over your body, under your clothes, 365 days a year. And by using a SPF 30 you get about an SPF 3-4 if you apply it like a regular body lotion. This protection lasts for a couple of hours (2-5 hours depending on formula, how much you sweat
etc). Topical C + E ferulic gives an SPF 8, but for how long? And no one is likely to use that all over their body.

In the long run I see systemic and topical antioxidants/immunomodulators/antiinflammatories as a great complement to sunscreens.

But no oral or topical antioxidant has been shown to protect against photodamage better than a SPF 8+ sunscreen. Something to think about when cosmetic/supplement companies use their favorite magic buzzword: "It´s an ANTIOXIDANT!!".

It´s better to stop those UV-rays from going all out Pearl Harbor on your skin from then beginning then try to mop up all kinds of ROS, deal with the inflammation, immunosuppression and the direct DNA-damage of UVB afterwards. And sun avoidance, clothes and sunscreens do that job better than antioxidants.

After oral administration of PL, MED increased 2.8 +/- 0.59 times
PMID: 9361129

Edited by Fredrik, 02 July 2008 - 12:25 AM.

#7 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:31 AM

Frederick, why use Heliocare and not the cheaper fern extract? Is it only because you've bought a lot of the product already?

#8 Fredrik

• Topic Starter
  • 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:15 AM

Frederick, why use Heliocare and not the cheaper fern extract? Is it only because you've bought a lot of the product already?

No, it´s just because I like to use exactly the same stuff that has been tested on humans. A bit anal of me, I know =)
Artichoke extract and coffee supposedly also contain some of the the main actives, chlorogenic, vanillic and ferulic acid.

#9 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:17 AM

No, it´s just because I like to use exactly the same stuff that has been tested on humans. A bit anal of me, I know =)
Artichoke extract and coffee supposedly also contain some of the the main actives, chlorogenic, vanillic and ferulic acid.

Wait wait, are you telling me the pure extract of polypodium leucotomos is different to the polypodium leucotomos extract that is in heliocare?

Edit: And where do Artichoke extract and coffee come in to it? Aren't we talking about Heliocare? And isn't the main active polypodium leucotomos?

Edited by Ben - Aus, 02 July 2008 - 02:20 AM.

#10 Fredrik

• Topic Starter
  • 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:00 AM

Wait wait, are you telling me the pure extract of polypodium leucotomos is different to the polypodium leucotomos extract that is in heliocare?

No. But I don´t know if they´re the same. That is why I´m using Heliocare.

Edit: And where do Artichoke extract and coffee come in to it? Aren't we talking about Heliocare? And isn't the main active polypodium leucotomos?

The main active in Heliocare is Polypodium leucotomos extract (PL). But the main active phenolics in PL is ferulic, vanillic, p-coumaric, caffeic and chlorogenic acids. These phenolics can also be found in other extracts beside Polypodium Leucotomos. For example in artichoke and coffee.

Polypodium leucotomos extract: antioxidant activity and disposition.
Gombau L, García F, Lahoz A, Fabre M, Roda-Navarro P, Majano P, Alonso-Lebrero JL, Pivel JP, Castell JV, Gómez-Lechon MJ, González S. Advancell, 46009 Valencia, Spain.

The extract of the fern Polypodium leucotomos (PL, Fernblock) is an oral photoprotectant with strong antioxidative properties. Recent studies to determine its chemical composition have shown 4-hydroxycinnamic acid (p-coumaric), 3 methoxy-4-hydroxycinnamic acid (ferulic), 3,4-dihydroxycinnamic acid (caffeic), 3-methoxy-4-hydroxybenzoic acid (vanillic) and 3-caffeoilquinic acid (chlorogenic) to be among its major phenolic components. No conclusive data are available, however, on the H2O2-scavenging capacity of these compounds, or on their absorption and metabolism following their oral intake. In the present work, their antioxidative capacity was assessed by the luminol/H2O2 assay, their absorption studied using Caco-2 cells to resemble the intestinal barrier, and their metabolism investigated using cultured primary rat hepatocytes. The antioxidant capacity of PL components increased in a concentration-dependent manner, with ferulic and caffeic acids the most powerful antioxidants. The apparent permeability results correspond to a human post-oral administration absorption of 70-100% for all tested substances. Coumaric, ferulic and vanillic acids were metabolized by CYP450-dependent mono-oxygenases and partially conjugated to glucuronic acid and sulfate. These phenolic compounds may contribute to the health benefits afforded by this oral photoprotectant.

PMID: 16263237 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Edited by Fredrik, 02 July 2008 - 04:30 AM.

#11 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:10 AM

The article seems to just be mentioning PLE extract, not Heliocare specifically.

No. But I don´t know if they´re the same. That is why I´m using Heliocare.

The main active in Heliocare is Polypodium leucotomos extract (PL). But the main active phenolics in PL is ferulic, vanillic, p-coumaric, caffeic and chlorogenic acids. These phenolics can also be found in other extracts beside Polypodium Leucotomos. For example in artichoke and coffee.

Polypodium leucotomos extract: antioxidant activity and disposition.
Gombau L, García F, Lahoz A, Fabre M, Roda-Navarro P, Majano P, Alonso-Lebrero JL, Pivel JP, Castell JV, Gómez-Lechon MJ, González S. Advancell, 46009 Valencia, Spain.

The extract of the fern Polypodium leucotomos (PL, Fernblock) is an oral photoprotectant with strong antioxidative properties. Recent studies to determine its chemical composition have shown 4-hydroxycinnamic acid (p-coumaric), 3 methoxy-4-hydroxycinnamic acid (ferulic), 3,4-dihydroxycinnamic acid (caffeic), 3-methoxy-4-hydroxybenzoic acid (vanillic) and 3-caffeoilquinic acid (chlorogenic) to be among its major phenolic components. No conclusive data are available, however, on the H2O2-scavenging capacity of these compounds, or on their absorption and metabolism following their oral intake. In the present work, their antioxidative capacity was assessed by the luminol/H2O2 assay, their absorption studied using Caco-2 cells to resemble the intestinal barrier, and their metabolism investigated using cultured primary rat hepatocytes. The antioxidant capacity of PL components increased in a concentration-dependent manner, with ferulic and caffeic acids the most powerful antioxidants. The apparent permeability results correspond to a human post-oral administration absorption of 70-100% for all tested substances. Coumaric, ferulic and vanillic acids were metabolized by CYP450-dependent mono-oxygenases and partially conjugated to glucuronic acid and sulfate. These phenolic compounds may contribute to the health benefits afforded by this oral photoprotectant.

PMID: 16263237 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#12 davpet

• 42 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:59 AM

The new double strentgth Heliocare Ultra also contains lutein and lycopene + C and E.

Fredrik,

Where did you hear about Heliocare Ultra ? Has it been released yet ?

I can't find any information on it, at either the European or American Heliocare sites.

Thanks

#13 Fredrik

• Topic Starter
  • 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

The new double strentgth Heliocare Ultra also contains lutein and lycopene + C and E.

Fredrik,

Where did you hear about Heliocare Ultra ? Has it been released yet ?

I can't find any information on it, at either the European or American Heliocare sites.

Thanks

I just stumbled on it. It´s been released to some online stores. Google "heliocare ultra" + "capsulas" and you´ll find lots of different merchants. I haven´t seen the ingredientlist but it supposedly (according to a post on a spanish-forum) includes vitamin E which I don´t like. And the lutein and vitamin C can easily be obtained from kale, collard greens and spinach and other veggies. By eating lots of those you get hundreds of phytonutrients that work in concert instead of the allopathic "finding the one active molecule" -approach.

I don´t find it a nuisance to take two capsules of the regular one instead of one Ultra. But I want to see the complete list of ingredients. If it doesn´t contain vitamin E I´ll consider it.

Edited by Fredrik, 02 July 2008 - 11:55 AM.

#14 Fredrik

• Topic Starter
  • 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:45 AM

This is a list of publications on PL and related species of fern regarding its other potential benefits on human health, like anti-Alzheimer’s & brain cell protection, anti-psoriasis, anti-inflammatory and immune modulating actions.

Anti-psoriasis Actions:
Navarro-Blasco, F. J., et al. “Modification of the inflammatory activity of psoriatic arthritis in patients treated with extract of Polypodium leucotomos (Anapsos).” Br. J. Rheumatol. 1998; 37(8): 912.
Vasange, M., et al. “A sulphonoglycolipid from the fern Polypodium decumanum and its effect on the platelet activating factor receptor in human neutrophils.” J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 1997; 49(5): 562–617.
Vasange, M., et al. “Flavonoid constituents of two Polypodium species (Calaguala) and their effect on the elastase release in human neutrophils.” Planta Med. 1997; 63(6): 511–17.
Vasange, M., et al. “The fern Polypodium decumanum, used in the treatment of psoriasis, and its fatty acid constituents as inhibitors of leukotriene B4 formation.” Prostaglandins Leukotrienes Essent. Fatty Acids 1994; 50: 279–284.
Tuominen, M., et al. “Effects of calaguala and an active principle, adenosine, on platelet activating factor.” Planta Med. 1992; 58(4): 306–10.
Jimenez, D., et al. “Anapsos, an antipsoriatic drug, in atopic dermatitis.” Allergol. Immunopathol. 1987; 15(4):185–9.
Jimenez, D., et al. “Anapsos modifies immunological parameters and improves the clinical course in atopic dermatitis.” Dermatologica 1986; 173(3):154–5.
Pineiro Alvarez, B. “2 years personal experience in anapsos treatment of psoriasis in various clinical forms.” Med. Cutan. Ibero. Lat. Am. 1983; 11(1): 65–72.
Vargas, J., et al. “Anapsos, an antipsoriatic drug which increases the proportion of suppressor cells in human peripheral blood.” Ann. Immunol. 1983; 134C(3):393–400.
Del Pino Gamboa, J., et al. “Comparative study between 120 mg. of anapsos and a placebo in 37 psoriasis patients.” Med. Cutan. Ibero. Lat. Am. 1982; 10(3): 203–8.
Capella Perez, M. C., et al. “Double-blind study using ‘anapsos’ 120 mg. in the treatment of psoriasis.” Actas Dermosifiliogr. 1981; 72(9-10): 487-94.
Mercadal Peyri, O., et al. “Preliminary communication on the treatment of psoriasis with anapsos.” Actas Dermosifiliogr. 1981; 72(1–2): 65–8.
Padilla, H. C. “A new agent (hydrophilic fraction of Polypodium leucotomos) for management of psoriasis.” Int. J. Dermatol. 1974; 13(5): 276–82.

Sunscreen & Skin Cellular Repair Actions:
Reyes, E., et al. "Systemic immunomodulatory effects of Polypodium leucotomos as an adjuvant to PUVA therapy in generalized vitiligo: A pilot study." J. Dermatol. Sci. 2006; 41(3): 213-6.
Capote, R., et al. "Polypodium leucotomos extract inhibits trans-urocanic acid photoisomerization and photodecomposition." J. Photochem. Photobiol. B. 2006; 82(3): 173-9.
Middelkamp-Hup, M. A., et al. “Oral Polypodium leucotomos extract decreases ultraviolet-induced damage of human skin.” J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2004 Dec; 51(6): 910-8.
Middelkamp-Hup, M. A., et al. “Orally administered Polypodium leucotomos extract decreases psoralen-UVA-induced phototoxicity, pigmentation, and damage of human skin.” J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2004; 50(1): 41-9.
Philips, N., et al. “Predominant effects of Polypodium leucotomos on membrane integrity, lipid peroxidation, and expression of elastin and matrixmetalloproteinase-1 in ultraviolet radiation exposed fibroblasts, and keratinocytes.” J. Dermatol. Sci. 2003 Jun; 32(1): 1-9.
Alonso-Lebrero, J. L., et al. “Photoprotective properties of a hydrophilic extract of the fern Polypodium leucotomos on human skin cells.” J. Photochem. Photobiol. B. 2003 Apr; 70(1): 31-7.
Alcaraz, M. V., et al. “An extract of Polypodium leucotomos appears to minimize certain photoaging changes in a hairless albino mouse animal model. A pilot study.” Photodermatol. Photoimmunol. Photomed. 1999; 15(3–4): 120–26.
Gonzalez, S., et al. “Topical or oral administration with an extract of Polypodium leucotomos prevents acute sunburn and psoralen-induced phototoxic reactions as well as depletion of Langerhans cells in human skin.” Photodermatol. Photoimmunol. Photomed. 1997; 13(1–2): 50–60.
Pathak, M. A., et al. “Polypodium extract as photoprotectant.” U.S. patent no. 5, 614, 197; 1997.
Gonzalez, S., et al. “Inhibition of ultraviolet-induced formation of reactive oxygen species, lipid peroxidation, erythema and skin photosensitization by Polypodium leucotomos.” Photodermatol. Photoimmunol. Photomed. 1996; 12(2): 45
Mohammad A. “Vitiligo repigmentation with Anapsos (Polypodium leucotomos)." Int. J. Dermatol. 1989; 28(7): 479.

Anti-Alzheimer’s & Brain Cell Protection Actions:
Alvarez, X. A., et al. “Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled pilot study with anapsos in senile dementia: effects on cognition, brain bioelectrical activity and cerebral hemodynamics." Methods Find. Exp. Clin. Pharmacol. 2000; 22(7): 585–94.
Cacabelos, R., et al. “A pharmacogenomic approach to Alzheimer’s disease.” Acta Neurol. Scand. Suppl. 2000; 176: 12–19.
Alvarez, X. A., et al. “Anapsos improves learning and memory in rats with Beta-Amyloid (1-28) deposits in the hippocampus” Progress in Alzheimer's and Parkinson’s Diseases, Ed. Fisher, A., Yoshida, M. and Hannin, I., Plenum Press, New York, 1998; pp. 699-703
Nikolov, R. “Alzheimer's disease therapy - an update.” Drug News Perspect. 1998 May; 11(4): 248-55.
Alvarez, X. A., et al. “Anapsos reverses interleukin-1 beta overexpression and behavioral deficits in nbM-lesioned rats.” Methods Find. Exp. Clin. Pharmacol. 1997; 19(5): 299–309.
Fernandez-Novoa, L., et al. “Effects of Anapsos on the activity of the enzyme Cu-Zn-superoxide dismutase in an animal model of neuronal degeneration.” Methods Find. Exp. Clin. Pharmacol. 1997; 19(2): 99–106.
Quintanilla A. E., et al. “Pharmaceutical composition of activity in the treatment of cognitive and/or neuroimmune dysfunctions.” U.S. patent no. 5,601,829; 1997.

Anti-inflammatory Actions:
Punzon, C., et al. “In vitro anti-inflammatory activity of Phlebodium decumanum. Modulation of tumor necrosis factor and soluble TNF receptors.” Int. Immunopharmacol. 2003; 3(9): 1293-9.
Manna, S. K., et al. ”Calagualine inhibits nuclear transcription factors-kappaB activated by various inflammatory and tumor promoting agents.” Cancer Lett. 2003; 190(2): 171-82.
Navarro-Blasco, F. J., et al. “Modification of the inflammatory activity of psoriatic arthritis in patients treated with extract of Polypodium leucotomos (Anapsos).” Br. J. Rheumatol. 1998; 37(8): 912.

Immune Modulating Actions:
Reyes, E., et al. “Systemic immunomodulatory effects of Polypodium leucotomos as an adjuvant to PUVA therapy in generalized vitiligo: A pilot study.” J. Dermatol. Sci. 2006; 41(3): 213-6.
Nogal-Ruiz, J. J., “Modulation by Polypodium leucotomos extract of cytokine patterns in experimental trichomoniasis model.” Parasite. 2003 Mar; 10(1): 73-8.
Sempere-Ortells, J. M., et al. “Anapsos (Polypodium leucotomos) modulates lymphoid cells and the expression of adhesion molecules.” Pharmacol. Res. 2002; 46(2): 185–90.
Gonzalez, S., et al. “An extract of the fern Polypodium leucotomos (Difur) modulates Th1/Th2 cytokines balance in vitro and appears to exhibit anti-angiogenic activities in vivo: Pathogenic relationships and therapeutic implications.” Anticancer Res. 2000; 20(3a): 1567–75.
Sempere-Ortells , J. M., et al. “Effect of Anapsos (Polypodium leucotomos extract) on in vitro production of cytokines.” Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 1997; 43(1): 85–9.
Bernd, A., et al. “In vitro studies on the immunomodulating effects of Polypodium leucotomos extract on human leukocyte fractions.” Arzneimittelforschung. 1995; 45(8): 901–4.
Rayward, J. et al. ”Polypodium leucotomos (PL), an herbal extract, inhibits the proliferative response of T. lymphocytes to polyclonal mitogens.” Second Intl. Cong. on Biol. Response Modifiers, San Diego, U.S.A. 1993.
Tuominen, M., et al., “Enhancing effect of extract Polypodium leucotomos on the prevention of rejection on skin transplants” Phytotherapy Research 1991; 5: 234–37.

Antioxidant Actions:
Garcia, F., et al. "Phenolic components and antioxidant activity of Fernblock, an aqueous extract of the aerial parts of the fern Polypodium leucotomos." Methods Find Exp. Clin. Pharmacol. 2006 Apr; 28(3): 157-60.
Gombau, L., et al. “Polypodium leucotomos extract: Antioxidant activity and disposition.” Toxicol. In Vitro. 2006 Jun; 20(4): 464-71.
Gomes, A. J., et al. “The antioxidant action of Polypodium leucotomos extract and Kojic acid: Reactions with reactive oxygen species.” Braz. J. Med. Biol. Res. 2001; 34(11): 1487–94.

Edited by Fredrik, 07 July 2008 - 10:14 AM.

#15 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

I'm wondering about the dose-response curve, is there any data for the use of more than 7.5mg/kg? What would you expect, an addtional benefit or diminishing returns?  Why don't you use more than the standard dose? Cost-prohibitive (it would be here in Austria, a month's supply already costs 30€ at the local drugstore), no sufficient data, concerned about possible side-effects (I know the toxicity is very low)?
Going by your quote I assume the anti-oxidant (?) substances of PL may be depleted?

If your´re expecting a full day of strong sunshine you can take an additional pill every 4 hours.

Edited by kismet, 06 December 2008 - 07:52 PM.

#16 Fredrik

• Topic Starter
  • 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:22 AM

I'm wondering about the dose-response curve, is there any data for the use of more than 7.5mg/kg? What would you expect, an addtional benefit or diminishing returns? Why don't you use more than the standard dose? Cost-prohibitive (it would be here in Austria, a month's supply already costs 30€ at the local drugstore), no sufficient data, concerned about possible side-effects (I know the toxicity is very low)?
Going by your quote I assume the anti-oxidant (?) substances of PL may be depleted?

If your´re expecting a full day of strong sunshine you can take an additional pill every 4 hours.

Yes, the dose respone shows increased efficacy up to 720 mg a day. According to the patent they claim PLE show no toxicity up to twice that amount.

It is clear from the tabulated data that orally administered PE was photoprotective. A slightly better protection was observed after 5 days of oral PE ingestion (total dose 3600 mg) than that observed after two oral doses of PE (total dose 1440 mg). This difference in SPF values was not significant. Therefore, there may not be a substantial accumulation of the photoprotective effect beyond two days of oral doses at 720 mg/day. It is possible that the photoprotective component of PE is not retained in the blood or skin for an extended period but, rather, is metabolized and rapidly excreted in the urine.

...he data appear to demonstrate a maximum photoprotective effect of PE within 3 to 24 hours after the oral ingestion of the PE and that the photoprotective effect of PE is not cumulative after this period.

Two days of 720 mg a day will produce a SPF of 2.65 all over the body that can´t be washed or perspired away.

I feel comfortable using up to 720 mg a day. I have used two capsules in the morning and a third four hours later on sunny days this summer (total amount 720 mg) and I will use three capsules everyday from spring and through summer.

#17 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

Yes, the dose respone shows increased efficacy up to 720 mg a day. According to the patent they claim PLE show no toxicity up to twice that amount.

Two days of 720 mg a day will produce a SPF of 2.65 all over the body that can´t be washed or perspired away.

I feel comfortable using up to 720 mg a day. I have used two capsules in the morning and a third four hours later on sunny days this summer (total amount 720 mg) and I will use three capsules everyday from spring and through summer.

Fredrik,

I was doing a search for information about polypodium leucotomos to take as an internal sunscreen and came across your posts.

I was wondering if your still taking the polypodium leucotomos?

Also, I see that you recommend to take it 30 to 60 minutes before a meal for absorption reasons. 

If taking it with a meal does that cause it not to be absorbed as good?

Thanks

#18 Fredrik

• Topic Starter
  • 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:42 PM

Lancebr,

Funny seeing my 11 year old posts being quoted ^^

I do not take it because of the added expense on top of other supplements and metformin that probably protects the whole body and skin somewhat from aging. SPF 50 sunscreen I still use daily and a preventative and repairing prescription tretinoin cream of course.

Yes, away from food because of decreased absorption as I remember it.

#19 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:13 PM

Lancebr,

Funny seeing my 11 year old posts being quoted ^^

I do not take it because of the added expense on top of other supplements and metformin that probably protects the whole body and skin somewhat from aging. SPF 50 sunscreen I still use daily and a preventative and repairing prescription tretinoin cream of course.

Yes, away from food because of decreased absorption as I remember it.

Fredrik,

Thanks for the reply.

So if I can ask, are you currently taking any supplements that provide any internal sunscreen for UV protection?

If you are what are they?

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users