• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

How Many of You Expect to Die?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:49 AM

I would like to see the results of asking this question at an ImmInst conference. Unfortunately I think I'd raise my hand.

http://newoldage.blo.../07...&ei=5087

Posted Image

Reading the comments offers a perspective of the "man on the street's" perspective on living and dying. I think we have a few years until our crusade against the dragon tyrant becomes nearly universal in western society but not too long. Aubrey has done a huge amount to get the ball rolling. I see it hitting before the last of the boomers are gone.

#2 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, I expect to die but I'm not happy about it. :) And I left a comment to that effect.

#3 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:57 PM

I didn't realise that so many Americans died so early of cancer

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:30 PM

interesting title. sorry guys, we will die

#5 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:10 PM

Death cannot be avoided yet. yes, I expect to die :S (of cancer, because it is in the family..)

Edited by jedimasterlucia, 10 July 2008 - 10:22 PM.

#6 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:26 AM

I think that eventually i may die. The thought that i will make it to become a godlike super being is so unreal that it's hard to believe it. And if i stay in any form less than godlike form, i will, eventually, die. We can't beat the odds in an infinite time frame.

#7 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:34 AM

But how many of you expect to live a extremely long time? over 1000 years?

If you are frozen and revived in the future,have you still died?

#8 lunarsolarpower

• Topic Starter
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:47 AM

Legally. And to the currently living.

#9 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:52 AM

But how many of you expect to live a extremely long time? over 1000 years?

no

#10 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:21 PM

I do believe many of us actually do have a nice chance to live forever.
Once we transcend biology, we will work to reduce traumatic death.
Then to a way we find we just cannot die.

#11 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:40 PM

Is SENS the thing that people here on this forum think will save them from aging and death?

#12 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:22 AM

Is SENS the thing that people here on this forum think will save them from aging and death?

Aging, hopefully. Death, no.

#13 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:18 AM

I expect to die. I probably have 40+ years left but I don't think that will be enough time. But fortunately I have cryonics as my safety net (however flawed). I think many transhumanists/immortalists are in denial because they believe they can be in mid to late middle age and *still* make it to the era of indefinite lifespan. I just don't see it. lol When I look at my two year old nephew I think to myself, "yes, now he has a good chance!" : )

John Grigg

#14 hallucinogen

• 359 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:33 AM

Im a suicidal Life Extensionist ;( so maybe 2009? lol

I love LIFE when its bearable...but there are too many mysterious forces in motion at hand that we have no clue about it, so our personal opinions are rendered pretty much obsolete...

the most important thing we should focus FIRST is STAYING YOUNG and DESEASE-FREE until we die, before we think about becoming immortal ;)

because right NOW, we all ENJOY Life... until we HIT a BRICK WALL of Life, its a rollercoaster ride of randomness and unexplained, heh

Maybe, Suffering and Death is an Essential part of a Successful Life, it keeps egos and progress in place, etc

Edited by hallucinogen, 12 January 2009 - 07:45 AM.

#15 AgeDefier

• 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:48 AM

I'm 36 and I feel I have a good chance of living to be over a 100. My family has good genetics/lifespans, I have a good medical history. If I live a fairly healthy, functional life up to 100 (~25% more than average), then I would consider that a success.

One of the the things that attracted me to this forum is that the people here aspire to something beyond "average", to live consciously and try to affect the "inevitable". The numbers in this article are about average or median numbers...but with some knowledge, effort and time, I think we can defeat the "average prognosis". Isn't that the point of being here?

Edited by AgeDefier, 12 January 2009 - 08:57 AM.

#16 hallucinogen

• 359 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

I'm 36 and I feel I have a good chance of living to be over a 100. My family has good genetics/lifespans, I have a good medical history. If I live a fairly healthy, functional life up to 100 (~20% more than average), then I would consider that a success.

One of the the things that attracted me to this forum is that the people here aspire to something beyond "average", to live consciously and try to affect the "inevitable". The numbers in this article are about average or median numbers...but with some knowledge, effort and time, I think we can defeat the "average prognosis". Isn't that the point of being here?

Indeed, first we must breakthrough to have a continously young, desease-free and completely enjoyable full life, and then once we are completely happy with it, we can take the next step into immortality ;D We must advance our Civillization on the Spiritual Level, as well as Technological, and im not talking about Religions! I'm talking about inner peace, happiness, and enlightment (all of which lie heavily in our Genetic DNA make-up, which calls for Human Genetic Engineering as we have been Engineered before! ) ^____^

We must ultimately advance our social behavior and interactions!

Together, we aspire better worlds!

Edited by hallucinogen, 12 January 2009 - 08:59 AM.

#17 Ben Simon

• 352 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

This thread is a total drag.

Sub question: How many of you expect to be the recipient of extreme life extension?

#18 AgeDefier

• 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

I'm 36 and I feel I have a good chance of living to be over a 100. My family has good genetics/lifespans, I have a good medical history. If I live a fairly healthy, functional life up to 100 (~20% more than average), then I would consider that a success.

Indeed, first we must breakthrough to have a continously young, desease-free and completely enjoyable full life, and then once we are completely happy with it, we can take the next step into immortality ;D We must advance our Civillization on the Spiritual Level, as well as Technological, and im not talking about Religions! I'm talking about inner peace, happiness, and enlightment (all of which lie heavily in our Genetic DNA make-up, which calls for Human Genetic Engineering as we have been Engineered before! ) ^____^ We must ultimately advance our social behavior and interactions! Together, we aspire better worlds!

Good point hallucinogen, and perhaps by extending our lives we will extend the possibility, the chance of discovering knowledge that brings us to achieve a higher consciousness, allowing us to find that inner peace. Maybe that is the purpose.

I don't see how "expecting to die" serves any purpose. It's like, hey, let's all expect to die, get our affairs in order, and sit around waiting for it to happen. F that! Living longer will increase the preciousness of life, and with that carries ramifications of safeguarding it and promoting peaceful coexistence, while we all try to figure out what the hell is going on here.

#19 AgeDefier

• 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:30 AM

Sub question: How many of you expect to be the recipient of extreme life extension?

Define "extreme life extension"

#20 Ben Simon

• 352 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:30 AM

Life extension beyond the current maximum limit. I get that people expect to die... one die. But do those who frequent this board really not expect to benefit from life extension technologies within their life time? Because that totally sucks if they don't.

Life extension beyond the current maximum limit. I get that people expect to die... one die. But do those who frequent this board really not expect to benefit from life extension technologies within their life time? Because that totally sucks if they don't.

#21 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

From our current vantage point in 2009, how is anyone entitled to an expectation on such an unimaginably complex puzzle?

Hope, which corresponds with the belief in the possibility of a desirable outcome, is the only leap of faith which must be taken to maintain a progressive framework.

When there is "robust rejuvenation" of a model organism, then perhaps we can start allowing ourselves expectations.

#22 Ben Simon

• 352 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:52 PM

From our current vantage point in 2009, how is anyone entitled to an expectation on such an unimaginably complex puzzle?

Hope, which corresponds with the belief in the possibility of a desirable outcome, is the only leap of faith which must be taken to maintain a progressive framework.

When there is "robust rejuvenation" of a model organism, then perhaps we can start allowing ourselves expectations.

Not even a modest expectation? I mean if somebody is twenty years old, can't they not unreasonably expect that in the next sixty or so years there will be sufficient progress to warrant a little optimism? I think it would be a unwise for people to expect with any certainty... but I think we're at a point where we should be able to make some decent educated guesses about future progress.

#23 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:08 AM

I'm 52 and yes I expect to die, of some stupid accident but not from aging.

The science is already starting to bear fruit and aging will be beaten.

But people are always going to do themselves in(just look at insurance statistics)

I dont expect to be any different in that regard, I'll probably stick my knife in the toaster in about 300 years time (all going well).

#24 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:07 AM

I expect to die. I probably have 40+ years left but I don't think that will be enough time. But fortunately I have cryonics as my safety net (however flawed). I think many transhumanists/immortalists are in denial because they believe they can be in mid to late middle age and *still* make it to the era of indefinite lifespan. I just don't see it. lol When I look at my two year old nephew I think to myself, "yes, now he has a good chance!" : )

John Grigg

psss don't spread it.

Seriously, i think (not that it matters much as an indication of what will really happen in the future) if middle aged people now take good care of themselves, i mean REALLy good care of themselves, then they stand a chance of surviving long enough until extreme life extension therapies come around. It will all depend on how well technology evolves in the near future.

#25 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:48 AM

I was talking about how long my 7 year old had before she'd die most likely today, not sure how that came up we were shopping at Costco :) but I did comment in the article comment field thread. I think we (humanity) has a long way to go, as in a few generations till we actually end aging. I have hopes though that within our lifetime SENS can get the funding it needs, or there are great advance in AGI.

#26 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:02 AM

I expect to die though I believe I will live a long life considering the advancements in science today and the fact I'm still young. Fortunately, my family has no history of Cancer or Heart Disease only diabetes (my grandmother had it) though it’s preventable through diet and exercise.

#27 neonnexus

• 51 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:19 AM

I expect to live to 1000+ as long as I continue to follow the current models and trends of LE, do not deviate and do not die prematurely or unexpectedly and have plenty of money. I am 28 now and have reason to believe that by 2050 (at the latest) we will have at least one of the following but probably more:

- Each passing year adds more than a year to average life expectancy
- Computational power will have exceeded the equivalent processing power of our organic analogue brains allowing successful simulation of the human mind giving rise to AGI if not already achieved by other means by then
- Regenerative medicine will be sufficiently advanced that most damaged tissues/organs can be repaired or replaced
- Nanotechnology in general will be sufficiently advanced that it will greatly aid in life extension and possibly/probably be capable of halting aging

I also think I am being conservative with the above. I think Ray Kurzweil's optimistic predictions are only off by a few years at most which still puts me well within grasp of extreme life extension and a lifespan that is potentially unlimited.

#28 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

- Each passing year adds more than a year to average life expectancy
- Computational power will have exceeded the equivalent processing power of our organic analogue brains allowing successful simulation of the human mind giving rise to AGI if not already achieved by other means by then
- Regenerative medicine will be sufficiently advanced that most damaged tissues/organs can be repaired or replaced
- Nanotechnology in general will be sufficiently advanced that it will greatly aid in life extension and possibly/probably be capable of halting aging

This is good perspective. It reminds me that these things are most likely inevitable even with out the life extension cause helping push them along. We may live long enough to live indefinitely even with out the longevity communities for indefinity pushing it. Thats all the more reason to move forward with dilligence and conviction and expedience and urgency.

Every day we push this forward is helping to save 150,000 people. Its like we are all on a conveyer belt that dumps us all off over the edge of a cliff. By working to jam the mechanisms of the conveyer belt, we are helping to stop it from dumping carelessly and needlessly more people off of the edge of the cliff. Will the conveyer belt stop in time to keep us from falling over the edge? It may, it definently wont if we dont move with as much care and urgency as we can, but it definently will save somebody. Some, maybe all of you are that somebody, so we cant afford to wait or not help.

This reminds me of a quote that goes something like, "It is fatal to enter any war with out the conviction to win it." and also a quote that goes something like, "Dream big, for small dreams have less ability to stir the soul."

Do not go down with out a fight.
Attached File  fight_till_the_last_scrap_of_wood_sinks_with_you.jpg   225.77KB   1 downloads

If your going to go down with the ship, go down fighting tooth and nail.
Attached File  go_down_fighting.jpg   44.08KB   0 downloads
Attached File  tooth_and_nail.jpg   81.01KB   0 downloads

And if you can then jump in a lifeboat and get the hell out of there.
Attached File  lifeboat.jpg   393.8KB   0 downloads

Rebuild your ship, set sail, come back in search of the reaper, hunt that bastard down and get him!
Attached File  go_down_fighting_2.jpg   52.29KB   0 downloads

Its not over until its over. As long as there is a breath of life left in you you should use it to try to strangle the last breath from the grim reaper once and for all. There is glory in battle and the greater the reward, the more glory there is. Why, more conviction and determination is/was put into things like ufc fights, or pirate fights. People have prepared more and fought harder just to beat a person in a ring, or to steal a ship from a dock or something like that. Millions of people have been willing to climb hills in the face of on coming gun fire for far less than indefinity and the conquest of aging. Now Im not saying that people around here dont fight. Im paralleling these things so that we can gain this perspective. The indefinite life extension fight is picking up. Keep these things in mind and where you can fight tooth and nail and give it every thing youve got, then by all means do it.

Remember that boat hulls arent meant to flatten but to roll with the waves. This also reminds me of this.

They say “they make their fight on the hill in the early day with a constant chill deep inside. That with a shouting gun, on they run through the endless grey, on they fight, for they are right, yes, by whos to say?”

I can tell you whos to say, each and every individual restless spirit is to say. This universe belongs to them and they can have it if they so choose.

“For a hill men would kill, why? they do not know,”

Oh, they know, they fight for hills like that with utter determination, and they fight for the universe with all the more. The fight for this hill, this universe, is going to blaze like the 4th of July, I promise you that.

Edited by brokenportal, 17 February 2009 - 09:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users