• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

best way to life extension

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: best way to life extension (58 member(s) have cast votes)

best way to life extension

1. Regenerative medical technology:SCNT, therapeutic cloning, etc (11 votes [19.30%])

Percentage of vote: 19.30%

2. Pharmaceutical: immortal pill, youth supplement, HRT, SCS, etc. (4 votes [7.02%])

Percentage of vote: 7.02%

3. Cybernetic &/or biotechnology: brain in jar, consciousness download, genetically engineered anti aging virus, etc. (6 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

4. Combination of above. (35 votes [61.40%])

Percentage of vote: 61.40%

5. We already can be: ancient or new longevity practices eg; yoga, tai chi etc. or through prayer and religion. (1 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 stemcellcloning

• 25 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:07 AM

Please explain your choice. If you have a diffrent thought please add it in your reply. Thankyou for your opinion.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:37 AM

Good question.

It will certainly be a combo. More emphasis on bio short term, then cyborg for the longer term. As computing and cyborg technology progress, with ever increasing speed, it will surpass rather quickly the mainly biotech approach.

Eventually Friendly AI will bring about a technological singularity.

#3 vizikahn

• 49 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:52 AM

Combination is the obvious answer, I think. Whatever works is good. In the long run it's probably cyborg/biotech, but I don't like to draw clear lines between the options.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 stemcellcloning

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:59 AM

>Eventually Friendly AI will bring about a technological singularity.

Between biology and technology?

Why will it be AI that bring about this revalation?

#5 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 12:19 PM

ehh.. do you mean revolution?

It may be helpful to see what the Singularity is... good place to start is here: SingInst.org

Basically, the Singularity will happen when computer intelligence surpasses human intelligence and has the chance to improve upon itself.. this improvement will happen at a very fast pace.. speed of light.. compared to human learning... college.. years of practice.

Computer based intelligence will start to solve problems faster and faster.. one problem that will be the first to be solved is aging.

#6 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:12 PM

From my understanding of the field at the moment, pharma will give you an extra decade or so fairly shortly. Regenerative medicine is the way to the first (expensive) radical life extension treatments - repair the damage as it happens. The more high tech methods of changing the human body (moving to AI, etc) are required in the long, long run to reduce the risk function to low enough levels.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org

#7 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:04 PM

From what I've been reading Pharma seems to be the most realistic way of achieving this goal

#8 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 12:58 AM

I believe it will be a combination of pharmaceuticals and stem cell regeneration in the short term. Mechanical/electronic augmentation in the mid and eventual merging with computers in the long term with our without a Singularity.

#9 stemcellcloning

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 06:12 AM

Ok, I have read up on the singularity.

Glad to see it had something to do with black holes.

This long term project will defiantly yield amazing results.

Still I did immediately think "Borg!"

Is any one here following AI development?

Heard of the soccer(football) match in 2020 when AI robots will play ball vs. the winners of the world cup?

Im interested in AI in that I have built 2 AI robots.

I am following the basic processes of evolution to a degree. Photophilic, mobile, object aversion/attraction via sonic resonance. That’s as far as I have gotten. Next steep making them communicate.

Back to the post.

I think a combo will be the way it goes but think biotech will be, after we are assisted by the other mediums in getting there, the real difference between mortal and immortal.

Pharmacy: main offering is catalytic scavengers, enzyme and hormone inhibitors, activators and replacement. As well as regulating any other SC, biotech, etc.

Stem cells and cloning: can repair damaged tissue but unless modified are just as susceptible as the original tissues.

Cyborgenetics: no longer seems to be the same individual, nothing wrong with that obviously something better that the body to want to swap. But perhaps by arrogance and vanity I would prefer to keep my own "bits."

Anyone else find cyborgenetic a bit icky? or if you are for it please tell me how you overcome the loss of part of your self? I don’t mean like being augmented or prosthesis. More like being a brain in a jar or downloaded to a chip?

Biotechnology: here is were im putting my money for the big big developments.
retro viruses that infect the host with engineered virus that are active in the host and have age halting and other beneficial effects. This area seems to be only limited by the extent of imagination in designing the retro virus.

Thanks.

#10 elwalvador

• 54 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:21 PM

I chose combination, but I see a lot of promise in gene therapy, with retroviruses or other gene delivery systems.

#11 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:07 AM

Most likely combination..

#12 Cody

• 59 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:23 AM

Like most of you, I chose a combo. We can't really be entirely sure whats gonna be the best in the long run. So it's best to do a combo of all. As long as things stay at a steady pace, we'll eventually know by experience what is the best.

#13 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

I think its important for people to focus in on one. Like a dog sled race to the north pole or something like that, we just need one team to get there, and its best to put our all into the most promising one. So I think its best for people to put all their effort into helping whatever dog sled team they think is the most promising.

I think its regenerative therapies. I could be wrong but thats where I think we should put most of our effort. Supporting the other teams is still all right, but I think the effort needs to be focused for maximum output.

We can help get this sens sled there in no time. Onward!

Posted Image

Edited by brokenportal, 30 December 2008 - 08:56 PM.

#14 didierc

• Life Member
  • 286 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

Thank you for this poll.

Like most of you, I think a combination.

But the short term is more important for us. And on the short term, I think the most promising fields are in regeneration with stem cells.

A big advantage of this way is that it is more acceptable for public opinion. Everybody knows that the human body has capacity to regenerate itself partly. Most people also know that the capacity of regeneration is better for certain animals than for others, better for young people and that they are big variation between individuals. So, it is not too difficult to imagine that we are going to improve this. There is already no big opposition against organ transplants ad this is more invasive than injecting cells. Actually stem cells especially if they are not coming from embryos are really something without big ethical problems.

So I think that it is easy for the man in the street to imagine that we are going there with scientific progress. And it is a lot less easy with nanotechnology and certainly very difficult with brain downloading. And to convince "mainstream people" is the most important problem at the moment.

#15 SentFromCoHelix

• 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

a pure guess, just to try it, and see what happens later:

Short term (10y-30y?): good combination of existing "anti-invaders" (antibacterial, antivirus, antifongic) and drugs that mimic what currently/soon extends animal lifespans (DNA-damage tolerance, cancer resistance, telomerase, igf1 or irs2,...), improved cardiac and neurodegenerative treatments/techniques
Medium (20y-40y?): stem cells injection, frequent gene therapy
Medium-Long (30-50y?): stem cell replacement, eradication of cancers, blood flow motors, micro-autorepairable components
Later: body replacement ; nanotech automated computerized mind

#16 Nevyl

• 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:41 AM

Also voted for a combination, thou on the short run I'd say stem cell therapy (Like didierc mentioned stem cell research is also more accepted by the general public).

#17 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:52 AM

Also voted for a combination, thou on the short run I'd say stem cell therapy (Like didierc mentioned stem cell research is also more accepted by the general public).

Stem cell therapy? Thats promising and all but it doesnt go to the root of aging. Have you heard of SENS? It goes to the root.

#18 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:46 AM

Stem cell therapy? Thats promising and all but it doesnt go to the root of aging. Have you heard of SENS? It goes to the root.

Except for immune and brain function. :)

Come to think of it.. What about endocrine function, heart, muscle, liver, ... the rest of the organs.. Hmmm..

#19 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:21 AM

If the general public can accept this than they will accept the technologies that will bring them more life!

#20 ascendedcobra

• 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:22 PM

I would say right now its already upon us resveratrol and telomerase inducers are the first of many good pharms coming our way. These will keep a lot of people in the game an extra 30+yrs and by us the time we need for the actual cure. Then age reversal.

Edited by ascendedcobra, 01 January 2010 - 12:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users