Photo
- - - - -

Lymphoma in dogs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kbrei

• 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

My 7 year old labradoodle, Bazil, has lymphoma. He has been on 2 weeks of resveratrol (4 grams a day, he weighs 65 pounds). Has anyone had any success with lymphoma treatment by resveratrol in dogs?

#2 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:57 AM

My 7 year old labradoodle, Bazil, has lymphoma. He has been on 2 weeks of resveratrol (4 grams a day, he weighs 65 pounds). Has anyone had any success with lymphoma treatment by resveratrol in dogs?

I just know missiminni had success regarding some other type of cancer in dogs (full remission).

But you may want to try adding soy (genistein), curcumin, and some pepper (to enhance curcumin bioavailability) to his
food; Not all but many types of lymphoma are especially sensible to these agents. (See lymphoma protocol on http://lef.org)

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

I just know missiminni had success regarding some other type of cancer in dogs (full remission).

But you may want to try adding soy (genistein), curcumin, and some pepper (to enhance curcumin bioavailability) to his
food; Not all but many types of lymphoma are especially sensible to these agents. (See lymphoma protocol on http://lef.org)

EGCG seems to be specifically effective against some lymphomas:

Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007 Nov 3;362(4):951-7. Epub 2007 Aug 24.
Induction of apoptosis by epigallocatechin-3-gallate in human lymphoblastoid B cells.Noda C, He J, Takano T, Tanaka C, Kondo T, Tohyama K, Yamamura H, Tohyama Y.
Department of Nutrition Management, Faculty of Health Science, Hyogo University, Kakogawa, Hyogo 675-0101, Japan. cnoda @hyogo-dai.ac.jp

(-)-Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a major constituent of green tea polyphenols, has been shown to suppress cancer cell proliferation and induce apoptosis. In this study we investigated its efficacy and the mechanism underlying its effect using human B lymphoblastoid cell line Ramos, and effect of co-treatment with EGCG and a chemotherapeutic agent on apoptotic cell death. EGCG induced dose- and time-dependent apoptotic cell death accompanied by loss of mitochondrial transmembrane potential, release of cytochrome c into the cytosol, and cleavage of pro-caspase-9 to its active form. EGCG also enhanced production of intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS). Pretreatment with diphenylene iodonium chloride, an inhibitor of NAD(P)H oxidase and an antioxidant, partially suppressed both EGCG-induced apoptosis and production of ROS, implying that oxidative stress is involved in the apoptotic response. Furthermore, we showed that combined-treatment with EGCG and a chemotherapeutic agent, etoposide, synergistically induced apoptosis in Ramos cells.

PMID: 17803956

Getting EGCG green tea extract with low caffeine levels would be important for a dog.

Dog's taste sensation are said to be very similar to humans', unlike cats. Suggest tasting what you feed your dog to make sure he'll like it. If you can't bring yourself to taste it, why are you feeding it to your pet?

#4 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:25 PM

Getting EGCG green tea extract with low caffeine levels would be important for a dog.

Argh, yes. Please ask a vet before giving him any compound from tea.
Caffeine and some other tea compounds are really toxic to dogs, or
at least work a bit like crystal meth. Dangerous for his heart. If the vet has
no problem with pure ECGC or caffeine-free tea extract, I agree though. :-D

Edited by mixter, 05 September 2008 - 05:25 PM.

#5 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:26 PM

Argh, yes. Please ask a vet before giving him any compound from tea.
Caffeine and some other tea compounds are really toxic to dogs, or
at least work a bit like crystal meth. Dangerous for his heart. If the vet has
no problem with pure ECGC or caffeine-free tea extract, I agree though. :-D

Theobromine is toxic to dogs, some breeds more than others. It's found in chocolate, to a lesser extent in tea. The amount in a high quality EGCG extract from tea would be quite low. Mixter's right, be cautious.

#6 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:41 AM

I have friends in the UK whose 125lbs bullmastiff was diagnosed with lymphoma four/five months ago. They began giving him 8 grams of 98% res. daily three weeks ago (as per Minni's protocol) mixed with yogurt each morning. So far he's doing well - more interested in his daily walks and in playing with their other dog again.
Another friend is just starting her 8 yo bullmastiff with 8 grams a day - he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma last week. There has been at least one positive study of res. in a human osteosacroma line so hopefully it will do some good for this dog. Although I inderstand that the tumour in his shoulder is already large and there may already be mets to the lungs. I'll update about both dogs in this thread as I receive news :

Document title
Potent antiproliferative effects of resveratrol on human osteosarcoma SJSA1 cells : Novel cellular mechanisms involving the ERKs/p53 cascade

Auteur(s) / Author(s)
ALKHALAF Moussa ; JAFFAL Sahar ;
Résumé / Abstract
The chemopreventive activity of resveratrol (RSVL) has been demonstrated in several types of cancer. However, its effects and the underling mechanisms remain poorly understood. In this study, we investigated the involvement of the mitogen activated protein kinase (MAPK)/p53 signal transduction mechanism in RSVL-induced growth inhibition using a human osteosarcoma cell line. We demonstrate that RSVL reduces cell viability and growth of SJSA1 osteosarcoma cells. Morphological profiles and 4,6-diamidino-2-phenylindole nuclear staining of RSVL-treated cells indicated marked nuclear fragmentation. Cleavage of the (116-kDa) poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase protein into an 89-kDa fragment (a proapoptotic marker system) was substantially augmented by RSVL treatment. RSVL-dependent growth impairment was preceded by enhanced phosphorylation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK)1/2 (at Thr202/Tyr204). Likewise, RSVL increased the phosphorylation of p53 tumor suppressor protein (at Ser15). The effects of RSVL on ERKs and on p53 phosphorylation were abrogated by either the MAPK inhibitor PD98059 or the p53 inhibitor pifithrine-α. The present study indicates that RSVL antiproliferative effects on osteosarcoma cells are mediated by the activation of the ERKs/p53 signaling pathway and therefore identifies new targets for strategies to treat and/or prevent osteosarcoma.
Revue / Journal Title
Free radical biology & medicine ISSN 0891-5849 CODEN FRBMEH
Source / Source
2006, vol. 41, no2, pp. 318-325 [8 page(s) (article)]

#7 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

An update on the two bullmastiffs treated with high dose resveratrol - one for lymphoma and the other for osteosarcoma.

The dog with osteosarcoma was euthanased just a few days after my previous post and before his owner started giving him resveratrol - he appears to have had a brain aneurysm. He had been treated with nothing other than a single iv dose of pamidronate and a NSAID for pain control. He had difficulty with his balance over a period of several months prior to the osteosarcoma diagnosis - possibly the aneurism was related to this.

The dog with lymphoma continues to do very well - now 7 or 8 months post diagnosis and after 3 months of high dose resveratrol. His owners reduced his daily dosage from a single 8gms a day to 5gms after a month of treatment as they were having difficulty getting the initial quantity down him. Resveratrol on a thickly spread jam sandwich is the method presently used for the 5gms. From their observations, their dog is far more active that he was prior to the treatment with resveratrol and there has been no deterioration at all in his condition. He doesn't seem to have put on any weight neither has he lost any.

I'll update again in a couple of months.

#8 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:07 PM

Resveratrol on a thickly spread jam sandwich is the method presently used for the 5gms.

Wouldn't an oil based medium be better? I've been giving our beagle/lab mix 500 mg mixed in olive oil. She eats it without problem. Of course, she also ate diapers without problem in her youth, so ...

Stephen

#9 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

Resveratrol on a thickly spread jam sandwich is the method presently used for the 5gms.

Wouldn't an oil based medium be better? I've been giving our beagle/lab mix 500 mg mixed in olive oil. She eats it without problem. Of course, she also ate diapers without problem in her youth, so ...

Stephen

They've tried many ways of getting him to eat it and the jam sandwich is the only one which still works! I mix my dog's daily 500mg with a little quercetin and a dollop of natural yogurt - no problems getting him to eat that .... of course 5-8 grams might be trickier!

Dave

Edited by tomnook, 21 October 2008 - 06:18 PM.

#10 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

An update on the dog with lymphoma - he continues to do well. Now 10 months post dx and after almost 8 months supplementing with just resveratrol and no prescription drugs. His current dose is approximately 4grams each day and his owners say he has possibly lost a little more weight but continues to eat well and is very lively and interested in everything around him.

As an indicator of how aggressive this disease can be in dogs, today I heard of a 7-yr old bullmastiff being diagnosed with lymphoma last August. The prognosis was 4- 6 months - he died last month 5 months post dx.

Dave

#11 Dave X

• 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

Tomnook, in Feb 09 you posted the following:

An update on the dog with lymphoma - he continues to do well. Now 10 months post dx and after almost 8 months supplementing with just resveratrol and no prescription drugs. His current dose is approximately 4grams each day and his owners say he has possibly lost a little more weight but continues to eat well and is very lively and interested in everything around him.

Can you offer an update now that 1 year has passed?
Thanks

#12 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:22 PM

Thanks

My apologies - I should have made this posting last year. The dog was pts in June 09 more than 18 months post dx and after a year of high dose resveratrol administration. The attending veterinarian said at the time of the dog's demise that he'd been struck by a virus and with a weakened immune system offered no resistance to it. He was absolutely fine until 48-hours before being pts.

Both his owners and I are convinced that the resveratrol made the difference since, in untreated dogs, life expectancy is less than two months, as indicated here . The dog was given no other treatement and the vet commented that he looked in better condition when she performed the euthanasia than when she'd initially made the diagnosis. As I mentioned previously the dog's general demeanor changed significantly within a short time of starting the resveratrol treatment - from being disinterested in everything to appearing to be quite well even though he'd already lost a lot of weight and muscle tone. Whilst he didn't regain the weight, despite eating well, his muscle tone returned as he excercised more.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to put them to the dog's owners.

Cheers!

#13 cosmosp

• 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:28 PM

Thanks

My apologies - I should have made this posting last year. The dog was pts in June 09 more than 18 months post dx and after a year of high dose resveratrol administration. The attending veterinarian said at the time of the dog's demise that he'd been struck by a virus and with a weakened immune system offered no resistance to it. He was absolutely fine until 48-hours before being pts.

Both his owners and I are convinced that the resveratrol made the difference since, in untreated dogs, life expectancy is less than two months, as indicated here . The dog was given no other treatement and the vet commented that he looked in better condition when she performed the euthanasia than when she'd initially made the diagnosis. As I mentioned previously the dog's general demeanor changed significantly within a short time of starting the resveratrol treatment - from being disinterested in everything to appearing to be quite well even though he'd already lost a lot of weight and muscle tone. Whilst he didn't regain the weight, despite eating well, his muscle tone returned as he excercised more.

Cheers!

My dog has multicentric lymphoma and I have been treating him with chemo for close to a year. Needless to say it is very expensive and puts the dog through hell, and is getting worse. I would love to try a different protocol than this.

Can you ask your friends what brand of resveratrol they used and how much? There's another thread that recommends 98% trans res at 75 mg/ lb. Does that sound about right?

#14 tomnook

• Life Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

Thanks

Cheers!

My dog has multicentric lymphoma and I have been treating him with chemo for close to a year. Needless to say it is very expensive and puts the dog through hell, and is getting worse. I would love to try a different protocol than this.

Can you ask your friends what brand of resveratrol they used and how much? There's another thread that recommends 98% trans res at 75 mg/ lb. Does that sound about right?

They used 98% resveratrol and purchased 1kg from Kingherbs . 75mg / lb is approximately the amount they used - you can always reduce it after a couple of months as you notice any improvment in your dog's condition. You should be safe with resveratrol administration to your dog at even higher doses - clinical studies have shown the no-observed-effect dosage to be in excess of 1000mg/kg bwt.

Good luck!
;)

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 cosmosp

• 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

Thanks

Cheers!

They used 98% resveratrol and purchased 1kg from Kingherbs . 75mg / lb is approximately the amount they used - you can always reduce it after a couple of months as you notice any improvment in your dog's condition. You should be safe with resveratrol administration to your dog at even higher doses - clinical studies have shown the no-observed-effect dosage to be in excess of 1000mg/kg bwt.

Good luck!
:|?

Thanks so much, I'm going to see about trying this, but hopefully it's not to late.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users