Photo
- - - - -

How safe is Di Arginine Malate?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:13 AM

I've been searching on google, but all I can find are stores that sell the product and it's obvious they're going to say good things about it.

A great majority of them come with these types of statements:

"Di-Arginine Malate is two molecules of the amino acid Arginine bonded to one molecule of Malic Acid. It is extremely useful in enhancing the immune system.

Arginine is also important in the repair of tissue as well as the formation of collagen and building of new bone and tendons.

Di-Arginine has been shown to help maintain the nitrogen balance in the muscle. This can increase the production of nitric oxide which, in turn, can help transport oxygen and other nutrients to the working muscle. The combination of Arginine and
Malic Acid will improve its delivery rate resulting in advanced energy production and greater muscular 'pump'! It may also be beneficial for weight control as it facilitates the increase of muscle mass, while reducing body fat."

I would like to know is if there are any scientific studies that back these claims and has there been any research to test it's safety. The more I read about it on these sites the more the product sounds like a steroid and that can't be good. For those who know more about supplements have you heard of this product and has there been any conclusive evidence for it's use? I'm curious about the product because the multi-vitamin/mineral I take contains 1,000 mg of Di arginine malate, so I want to make sure it's not harmful since I'm cautious when it comes to new supplements (I have the same issue with resveratrol).

#2 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:43 AM

I've been searching on google, but all I can find are stores that sell the product and it's obvious they're going to say good things about it.

"Di-Arginine Malate is two molecules of the amino acid Arginine bonded to one molecule of Malic Acid. It is extremely useful in enhancing the immune system.

Arginine is also important in the repair of tissue as well as the formation of collagen and building of new bone and tendons.

Di-Arginine has been shown to help maintain the nitrogen balance in the muscle. This can increase the production of nitric oxide which, in turn, can help transport oxygen and other nutrients to the working muscle. The combination of Arginine and
Malic Acid will improve its delivery rate resulting in advanced energy production and greater muscular 'pump'! It may also be beneficial for weight control as it facilitates the increase of muscle mass, while reducing body fat."

I would like to know is if there are any scientific studies that back these claims and has there been any research to test it's safety. The more I read about it on these sites the more the product sounds like a steroid and that can't be good. For those who know more about supplements have you heard of this product and has there been any conclusive evidence for it's use? I'm curious about the product because the multi-vitamin/mineral I take contains 1,000 mg of Di arginine malate, so I want to make sure it's not harmful since I'm cautious when it comes to new supplements (I have the same issue with resveratrol).

Have you tried Google Scholar or Pubmed? If not, those are the places to find your answer.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:06 AM

Have you tried Google Scholar or Pubmed? If not, those are the places to find your answer.

I only found one article on Pubmed which mentioned Di Arginine Malate producing other chemicals that could act as anti-depressants (according to wiki since I had to google the terms they used in the abstract since I had no idea what they were talking about) in pregnant women. I'm surprised there isn't anymore research outside of the companies that sell it. According to them it was discovered in 1998 and the researches who discovered it won a Nobel peace Prize for it. I wonder why there has been no research on it since then? Arginine (discovered well over a hundred years ago) does have extensive research but nothing for di arginine malate.

#4 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:41 AM

I only found one article on Pubmed which mentioned Di Arginine Malate producing other chemicals that could act as anti-depressants (according to wiki since I had to google the terms they used in the abstract since I had no idea what they were talking about) in pregnant women. I'm surprised there isn't anymore research outside of the companies that sell it. According to them it was discovered in 1998 and the researches who discovered it won a Nobel peace Prize for it. I wonder why there has been no research on it since then? Arginine (discovered well over a hundred years ago) does have extensive research but nothing for di arginine malate.

Sadly, a lot of supplements (most notably bodybuilding supplements) do not have a lot of research. This is why I don't bother with a lot of their "super mass building" formulas. It is mostly a bunch of fancy sounding words designed for peripheral advertising. The bodybuilding supplement industry give the whole dietary supplement industry a bad name unfortunately.

#5 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:05 AM

Sadly, a lot of supplements (most notably bodybuilding supplements) do not have a lot of research. This is why I don't bother with a lot of their "super mass building" formulas. It is mostly a bunch of fancy sounding words designed for peripheral advertising. The bodybuilding supplement industry give the whole dietary supplement industry a bad name unfortunately.

I guess I shouldn't take that multi-vitamin/mineral anymore since I don't know what Di Arginine Malate will do to my body in the long run. I guess I should have listened to all of you when you warned me about GNC not being a good supplier.

So, do you know of any other company that sells multi's in powdered form? I despise taking tablets, especially when it's several times a day like certain LEF and AOR products; I know LEF has a powdered form but it's very expensive.

#6 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:13 AM

http://www.iherb.com...c...id=242&at=0

It is made by Jarrow Formulas. They are a solid company. It doesn't have a super extensive list as other multis do though.

Edited by luv2increase, 02 September 2008 - 05:14 AM.

#7 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:18 AM

http://www.iherb.com...c...id=242&at=0

It is made by Jarrow Formulas. They are a solid company. It doesn't have a super extensive list as other multis do though.

Thank You, I suppose it will do for now; like I mentioned before I don't plan to buy LEF until I finish college.

#8 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:31 AM

Arginine is an amino acid though so I suppose it's not harmful, even Now Adam uses arginine so I suppose it's not bad? I think I'll stick with the multi I'm taking until I can afford LEF. You were right about iherb not being as complete since it lacks a lot of nutrients such as lycopene, ALA, Phytosterols, fruit and vegetable antioxidants, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids among others

Thank you for the recommendation though, I think I'll recommend iherb to my cousin seems like the right price for him (he thought GNC powder was too expensive).

#9 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:19 AM

Arginine is an amino acid though so I suppose it's not harmful, even Now Adam uses arginine so I suppose it's not bad? I think I'll stick with the multi I'm taking until I can afford LEF. You were right about iherb not being as complete since it lacks a lot of nutrients such as lycopene, ALA, Phytosterols, fruit and vegetable antioxidants, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids among others

Thank you for the recommendation though, I think I'll recommend iherb to my cousin seems like the right price for him (he thought GNC powder was too expensive).

iHerb is just the online store. They carry many supplement brands and do not have a supplement brand of their own nor is a supplement manufacture.

L-Arginine is an amino acid, yet you asked about di arginine malate. It is an alterned amino acid.

#10 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

iHerb is just the online store. They carry many supplement brands and do not have a supplement brand of their own nor is a supplement manufacture.

L-Arginine is an amino acid, yet you asked about di arginine malate. It is an alterned amino acid.

I researched the two substances separately and neither is harmful (arginine and malic acid).

#11 rogue

• 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

I wouldn’t be so hard on the bodybuilding market. It's the entire supplement industry. Smaller companies without any sufficient funds to support real studies have no ability to substantiate claims. The pharmaceutical industry spends tens of millions of dollars on research before releasing a drug and many of them are recalled for dangerous side effects. Nobody trusts the FDA or the drug companies anymore. It's a buyer beware market; it’s always been since early roots of herbal remedies back in Indian and Chinese culture. If you believe in supplements you always take a risk. It’s unfortunate but that’s the way it will always be. If supplement companies have to substantiate claims before selling a product they would be out of business overnight and those of us who believe in them would lose the good with the bad.

#12 rogue

• 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

I used to get a vitamin/mineral blend from www.nutrabio.com you might want to try them. Not sure if they still have it, they made the company kosher this year and haven't r-released all of the older products yet. I get all of my amino acids from them. Everything is pharmaceutical grade none of the bs added which is why I like them. I also get lot minerals from then in pure powder form which is what I like to do because I mix my own blends. I found if you don’t see an ingredient on their website that you need, you can call and they will get it for you. I get pure coq10 from them in powder and was getting resveratrol months before it was on their site. Petty helpful people.

#13 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

How would you compare Citrulline Malate to Di Arginine Malate?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:58 AM

I wouldn’t be so hard on the bodybuilding market. It's the entire supplement industry. Smaller companies without any sufficient funds to support real studies have no ability to substantiate claims. The pharmaceutical industry spends tens of millions of dollars on research before releasing a drug and many of them are recalled for dangerous side effects. Nobody trusts the FDA or the drug companies anymore. It's a buyer beware market; it’s always been since early roots of herbal remedies back in Indian and Chinese culture. If you believe in supplements you always take a risk. It’s unfortunate but that’s the way it will always be. If supplement companies have to substantiate claims before selling a product they would be out of business overnight and those of us who believe in them would lose the good with the bad.

I think the bodybuilding market is a cancer on the rest of the supplement industry. Bodybuilding supplements are just rife with unverified claims, deception, shoddy and dangerous products. The supplement industry can't run large controlled clinical trials, but they can ascertain that their products are in fact what they claim and that they aren't contaminated. That's all I expect from them. Those supplement companies that support research with their products are just an added bonus. The research that we rely upon is largely perfomed by academics. I don't "believe in" supplements. I take them if the available evidence warrants it for my particular situation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users