• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

big question: How do you bring this idea to everyday people?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 orfeus123

• 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

Hi everyone,I'm new here, but am excited to get involved.I have an important question I think must be answered.How do you bring the idea of immortality to a public audience? If and when it becomes a possibility, the implications this has on all of us on an existential level is immense. Here are some of the observations I've seen in this forum (no way complete ;) )Many of the posts I've read are:- written by intelligent, forward thinking individuals- written by people willing to address complex philosophical issues- contributed by people who are outspoken atheists (might be a stretch, but I think you can understand the implication)- written by people who are willing to look past visceral instincts and formed ideas, like what's inherently good or evil, does this conflict with my religious beliefs?There are a few reasons I think this question is important:1. Looking at some of the research out there (I'm particularly fascinated by Aubrey de Grey's SENS research with the Methuselah foundation), the possibility definitely exists. But I don't think it could ever be relevant in human society if it isn't backed by your everyday person who isn't as intellectually stimulated (not a dis :) )2. I think it also helps us distill our ideas and beliefs into more tangible and simply expressed morsels.So, ok. Here's the question again:How would you explain this idea of life extension to your average person?How would you garner support from your average person?What do you think are the main roadblocks to make widespread support happen? - and what are your ways around it?How do you address many of the common existential issues in a way that's digestible?I guess that's more than one question.Anyways. I look forward to your responses. And it's good to be a part of this allCheersMark

Edited by orfeus123, 12 September 2008 - 03:54 PM.

#2 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:06 PM

I'm glad you brought this up cause this is a question I've pondered in my mind for quite some time. How do you get ordinary Joe's interested in Life Extension? I simply tell people about it, mostly my friends, whenever I can. But as for other people I think you have to reach out with other forms of media like writing books, documentaries, essays etc. You may not know it yet cause your new but imminst published a book and a documentary on life extension. I actually helped to edit the book. Also other means like advertising stickers and posters you can put up on city streets. Imminst used to have these things but I think they ran out. Aside from that I would welcome any other peoples' ideas as to how to get the word out. Again I'm glad you brought up this topic!

Devon

#3 orfeus123

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:39 PM

I'm glad you brought this up cause this is a question I've pondered in my mind for quite some time. How do you get ordinary Joe's interested in Life Extension? I simply tell people about it, mostly my friends, whenever I can. But as for other people I think you have to reach out with other forms of media like writing books, documentaries, essays etc. You may not know it yet cause your new but imminst published a book and a documentary on life extension. I actually helped to edit the book. Also other means like advertising stickers and posters you can put up on city streets. Imminst used to have these things but I think they ran out. Aside from that I would welcome any other peoples' ideas as to how to get the word out. Again I'm glad you brought up this topic!

Devon

Thanks Devon,

Part of what I'm curious is the actual tone you would use. How to express it. How to deal with common resistance, visceral responses, preconceived notions, etc. How to express the message to a 5th grader.

A good challenge regardless!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

Yes, this has been discussed many times in the forums. What most dedicated immortalists have found is that discussing immortality with anyone (not just average joes) brings an immediate rejection by well over 99% of the populace.

The best bet is to start softly with conquering disease, then optimum health and longevity, then life extension, and finally on to biological immortality (conquering aging), before hitting them with the big existential ideas of immortality, singularity, transhumanism, etc...

#5 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:35 PM

it also depends who you are talking with. If it's a friend chances are they will be interested. If it's the average Joe you might want to take Mind's advice and bring it to them slowly either way I think it's vital to share our ever important and ignored ideas.

#6 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but am excited to get involved.

I have an important question I think must be answered.

How do you bring the idea of immortality to a public audience? If and when it becomes a possibility, the implications this has on all of us on an existential level is immense. Here are some of the observations I've seen in this forum (no way complete ;) )

Many of the posts I've read are:

- written by intelligent, forward thinking individuals
- written by people willing to address complex philosophical issues
- contributed by people who are outspoken atheists (might be a stretch, but I think you can understand the implication)
- written by people who are willing to look past visceral instincts and formed ideas, like what's inherently good or evil, does this conflict with my religious beliefs?

There are a few reasons I think this question is important:

1. Looking at some of the research out there (I'm particularly fascinated by Aubrey de Grey's SENS research with the Methuselah foundation), the possibility definitely exists. But I don't think it could ever be relevant in human society if it isn't backed by your everyday person who isn't as intellectually stimulated (not a dis :) )

2. I think it also helps us distill our ideas and beliefs into more tangible and simply expressed morsels.

So, ok. Here's the question again:

How would you explain this idea of life extension to your average person?
How would you garner support from your average person?
What do you think are the main roadblocks to make widespread support happen? - and what are your ways around it?
How do you address many of the common existential issues in a way that's digestible?

I guess that's more than one question.

Anyways. I look forward to your responses.

And it's good to be a part of this all

Cheers

Mark

Very very important and good question. We are addressing it in one way by creating a "combating the pro aging trance," quiz and training course here on lines 36 through 39, check out the techniques listed so far in line 36, and help add to them when you think of more good ones.

For example, one of the biggest techniques is that you want to talk about life extension in terms that it is already happening, people will smash you if you start it off with stuff like, "but what if we could live forever" Just talk about it like if they dont know then they should know because its going down. Also dont ask for their opinion, just inform them and try to avoid giving them in puts to inject what ifs and opinions. People will argue against anything for the sake of it and you want to avoid that. You also want to word things to make it seem like it was there idea. People dont want to be told to beleive anything.

Therefore, to sum it up, inform them and make it seem like it was there idea.

To make it seem like it was their idea, latch on to things that they already think that are like it, like, "your in health care so I know you already think health is important, some of these people dont think about it though, you know how that goes" etc.. I could tweak that so its even more poignant but I think you know what I mean.

Oh and practice makes perfect, so practice the techniques you find.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users