Photo
- - - - -

One more topic on sleeping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:15 AM

I'm sure many of you have already read about this research: Sleep less, live longer?

But some in the scientific community say that it can't prove anything (and i partially agree): http://archives.cnn....tudy/index.html

The reason i'm making the topic is that lately i've been very busy and having one or two more hours a day would be great, even if i got a bit more tired throughout the day. My average of sleep time a night is around 7.5-8 hours. I would like to go down to 6.5, hopefully permanently, if i manage to get used to it.

What got to me was this sentence from Dr. Kripke, that:

“individuals who now average 6.5 hours of sleep a night, can be reassured that this is a safe amount of sleep. From a health standpoint, there is no reason to sleep longer.”

Is there any foundation for this sentence? I wouldn't mind going through my days a bit drowsier if it meant getting an extra 1-1.5 hour daily. I just need to be sure that my health isn't affected in the long term (other than the minor effects like loss of focus, concentration, and stuff, which i think i can handle because i don't feel much of these effects even after a few consecutive days getting less sleep).

Edited by sam988, 19 September 2008 - 06:15 AM.

#2 forever freedom

• Topic Starter
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:33 PM

I found this really interesting article. It answered some of my questions regarding sleep. It may make some false assumptions, though. http://www.eioba.com...myths_and_facts

Interesting too is the experiment of Randy Gardner who didn't sleep for 11 days straight. http://en.wikipedia....(record_holder)

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 manx

• 25 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:46 AM

My sleep has gradually improved so I can now get by on less (6 hours), the key aspects of the improvement plan are:

Memory foam mattress
Black out eye mask (essential!)
Ear plugs (tried them, now also essential, much better sleep since)
Nose plasters (helps breathing)
Indium drops on waking
Melatonin

#4 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:17 AM

This is pretty interesting.

Sleep profiler

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#5 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

My sleep has gradually improved so I can now get by on less (6 hours), the key aspects of the improvement plan are:

Memory foam mattress
Black out eye mask (essential!)
Ear plugs (tried them, now also essential, much better sleep since)
Nose plasters (helps breathing)
Indium drops on waking
Melatonin

Hey manx thanks for the info!
What brand Nose plasters do you recommend (the Breathe Right Nasal Strips look good to me)?
What is the point of taking the Indium drops on waking (I am assuming this is for energy - in which case why not take something more recognised as being beneficial for health such as Acetyl-L-Carnitine + R-Alpha Lipoic Acid)?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users