• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

The adventure paradox

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

I am sure this had been brought up many times.
While not a reason against anything, this often brings me double feelings.

One side, I want to be able to do everything, know it all, live forever.

On the other hand, I want to be able to feel risk, to explore and to adventure/challenge.

What are you theories on this?

I hope one day, once we are able to transform to energy lifeforms, we will be able to engineer "after life" and "reincarnation" so you can live as material form, feel the risk, but upon death, you are simply in the higher plane with the ability to reincarnate, but not forget your memories (you could choose to, but I would rather not :-D)

That way we have options, life will be like a good MMORPG! no boredom!

#2 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

I hope one day, once we are able to transform to energy lifeforms, we will be able to engineer "after life" and "reincarnation" so you can live as material form, feel the risk, but upon death, you are simply in the higher plane with the ability to reincarnate, but not forget your memories (you could choose to, but I would rather not ;))

It's really simple. Just make a simulation where you experience a normal life and have no clue that you're actually a demi-god. That's why we keep asking ourselves of we're already in a simulation; we could even just be AIs interacting in the virtual world created by a fat 12 y.o. post-singularity kid playing a game.

Yes, when we beat aging i'll spend lifetimes playing MMORPGs :-D

#3 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

On the other hand, I want to be able to feel risk, to explore and to adventure/challenge.

According to Theory of Knowledge, there will always be uncertainty and therefore room for risk of existence.

What are you theories on this?

I had this exact same paradigm about a year ago. But the thing is, we will not always have this line of thinking. What I mean is, our minds will slowly evolve. We will obtain higher forms of intelligence and consciousness. We will not have the same desires and interests in 100, 100000 or 10000000000 years from now. Right now we are subjects of our biology. Our mind is limited by our chemical make up. Our interests and desires are are objects of pain and pleasure. Not to mention the limitations of our memory, computational and analytical capabilities right now.

I hope one day, once we are able to transform to energy lifeforms, we will be able to engineer "after life" and "reincarnation" so you can live as material form, feel the risk, but upon death, you are simply in the higher plane with the ability to reincarnate, but not forget your memories (you could choose to, but I would rather not ;))

I also had this exact same idea :)

I always wondered what the end result of the future was. What our destinies would be. I used to think that the end result was that we would evolve to the level of God (infinite power) where we would create our own individual heavens (personal universes) where we could live forever (with out risk ceasing our existence), living all our fantasies and dreams. However there are two problems with this.

1. There's only a finite amount of things we could do before we end up in a looping cycle. (Not to mention that there might only be a finite amount of space for memory).
2. This line of thinking, like I mentioned before, is based on our current desires.

As we evolve into higher and wiser beings, we will gradually loose our humanity and gain such high forms of intelligence and consciousness that there is no way that we could possibly imagine what our future selves will be like, let alone what their interests would be. This is the beauty of life: venturing into the unknown.

But don't worry. Before we evolve past our need for pleasure, like adventures, games, sex, etc, you will have plenty of time to carry out your fantasies and dreams in the cyberverse (the future internet that will be as realistic as life, like the matrix). :-D

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

I just thought of something:

What if we are already living in our own man made universe and we're just living out a fantasy or simply reliving out our lives again?
What if we're just the the AI of another persons fantasy or an alien simulation?

LOL: you got to love the Theory of Knowledge :-D

#5 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:30 PM

I just thought of something:

What if we are already living in our own man made universe and we're just living out a fantasy or simply reliving out our lives again?
What if we're just the the AI of another persons fantasy or an alien simulation?

Damn, sam988 beat me to this idea :-D

Philosophy+Futurism: always making life interesting

#6 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

It's really simple. Just make a simulation where you experience a normal life and have no clue that you're actually a demi-god. That's why we keep asking ourselves of we're already in a simulation; we could even just be AIs interacting in the virtual world created by a fat 12 y.o. post-singularity kid playing a game.

Yes, when we beat aging i'll spend lifetimes playing MMORPGs :-D

I'd never do that, so much suffering self made.
No, the idea is to know there is something.

#7 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

Lack of infinite memory might be good.
But better than currently is required.

#8 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

When we live indefinently, you can encase yourself in a foam filled house with servants quadruple checking your air and food if you want, but you can still go sky diving if you want.

I know I will. I dont sky dive but I will go rock climbing.

I dont think the one of the other dilema you state exists.

#9 Moonbeam

• 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:43 AM

Learn how to lucid dream. Then you can do dangerous things in the safety of your own bed.

#10 technetium

• 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

It is not as if we would have one technology progressing in a bubble. As life extension and infinite lifespans become a reality, we will have a comeasurate level of understanding to back up existing minds and safeguard them against anihilation. There will be even more opportunity for extreme adventure, rather then less in an immortalist society.

Edited by technetium, 01 April 2009 - 07:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users