- - - - -

MFURI Team Meeting Notes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bram

• Guest, F@H
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

In an effort to bring some more structure to the MFURI meetings, I will post summaries here. Let's keep discussions somewhere else. I'm not quite familiar with all of MFURI yet, so I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes here :).

Edited by Bram, 08 October 2008 - 12:12 PM.

#2 Bram

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

2008-10-06

Attended: Eric, Mind, Bram

Agenda: Nothing specific was on the agenda for this meeting.

Summary:
  • Mind brought the good news that ImmInst has approved the $2,000 scholarship fund for MFURI students doing research in life extension. See here.
  • Discussed the structure these meetings should have. In particular:
  • Eric will be 'chair' of these meetings for the coming time; making an agenda before the meetings.
  • Bram will be 'secretary' of these meetings; taking notes.
Items for next meeting:
  • Google prize?
  • Promotion of MFURI in general, and the meetings in particular.
  • Discuss MFURI 'modules'.

Attached Files

Edited by Bram, 08 October 2008 - 12:16 PM.

#3 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

We need another secretary for this MFURI meeting. If anybody is interested then please inquire at the meeting. The meeting is Monday, 2pm cst time here.

Bram is still helping when time permits, 2 or 3 secretaries would work for the meeting.

#4 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:06 AM

Its been suggested to post the chat dialogue here, this is from todays post MFURI meeting. Im posting it as an experiment. How will this work? The chat cuts off the beginning. Is there a way to get the whole thing and does anybody want to sign on to do this every week?

Ustreamer 83220 = Lazarus Long

*pragmatic approach* was to include GPA asa criteria but allow for an exception. The other part was to try and get a sign off from someone in a faculty
05:41 ustreamer-83220 : related position that reviews the proposal first
05:42 Eric/brokenportal-3796 : Im confused a little, couldnt all that be acheived through an application?
05:42 ustreamer-83220 : Yes Eric but I think the Imminst goals need to be carefully defined and limited to realistic objectives for now
05:43 ustreamer-83220 : well always but I meant doable not realistic
05:43 Eric/brokenportal-177 : I think so to, Im not saying like, draw this up this week, what I mean is carefully plan it out, and discuss it with mfuri
05:43 ustreamer-83220 : targeted research goals beyond but sometimes parallel to SENS
05:43 ustreamer-83220 : agreed
05:44 Eric/brokenportal-5578 : I agree with targeted research beyond, if there was some, but what could something beyond sens possibly be?
05:45 AgeVivo : mprize@home
05:45 Eric/brokenportal-8505 : I guess I should catalogue this meeting, Ide really rather not because Im juggling so many projects right now but I guess its a good idea, do you mean like copy and paste this whole discussion to an mfuri secretaries topic?
05:46 ustreamer-83220 : WILT, Stem Cell applications, Mito Repair and/or genetic mapping and mitofection techniques for example too
05:46 Eric/brokenportal-8700 : I thought those were all parts of sens
05:46 ustreamer-83220 : yes eric
05:47 ustreamer-83220 : even if we have to do like we did with early Imminst discusisons, an unedited copy allows ongoing review and we can always ediut the less comprehensible typos later
05:47 Eric/brokenportal-791 : alright, so copy the whole thing, Ill do that, but the screen only lets me scroll up so far, then it cuts off the beginning, is there a way for me to get the whole things irc somehow?
05:48 ustreamer-83220 : Stem Cell applications are not just SENS, but organ replacement and repair, that is not really negligible senecense
05:48 ustreamer-83220 : we are still aging but with younger replacable parts ;~)
05:48 ustreamer-83220 : age reversal would be SENS as well as age retarding tech
05:49 Eric/brokenportal-8958 : I see, true, Im sure you know more about that than I do, so like, is it in the works? Like, how about you draw up an application proposal or three and propose them to the board?
05:49 ustreamer-83220 : Biomedical applications that contribute to but are not really SENS should still be eligible IMO
05:49 AgeVivo : raising mice is much easier than a dog; doing microbiology research in the garage seems difficult/expensive to me, but if some (out of...8000?) are very motivated...
05:50 ustreamer-83220 : AgeVivo is correct, but why should we stop someone from asking
05:50 Eric/brokenportal-5631 : is it really feasable that the experiments that researchers do on mice to give them significant longevity can be done at home though? Are the chemicals and tools and testing machines awfully expensive?
05:50 ustreamer-83220 : I also agree that mprize work is eligible but that would be reviewed by MURFI anyway
05:51 Eric/brokenportal-7766 : if it is feasable, which Ive been doubting especially since nobody has really supported mprize at home yet
05:51 ustreamer-83220 : Being able to develop age related genetic mapping and theory is not limited to working with humans obviously
05:51 AgeVivo : one old mouse=15$. one cage=30$. food & co = 70$/year?
05:52 Eric/brokenportal-4789 : but if it is feasable then that would be something great for imminst to sponsor too. They could sell the necesary tools to qualified researchers to run mouse tests at home.
05:52 ustreamer-83220 : and not all proposals will be about cures, some will be for research into WHY, and HOW aging occurs
05:52 Eric/brokenportal-6663 : That would be amazing if we could do that and then win any part of the mprize and use the money for further life extension goals,
05:53 Eric/brokenportal-7298 : I thought the why and how was by and large outlined in sens
05:53 AgeVivo : it can be very simple to very complex depending on the experiment
05:53 AgeVivo : eg: if we can get cancer resistant mice from Zhen Cui, that's obvious to do
05:54 ustreamer-83220 : We are not going to sell the equi[ment, we can approve a budgetbased on a reponsible outline but we could *buy* the components requrested if that is the approach instead of funding with cash directly but publication of the finding s would also have to be a part of what is being assured by this appro
05:54 ustreamer-83220 : approach
05:54 Eric/brokenportal-2676 : well, I imagine they would like, have to devise a way to make an enzyme that breaks down like for example, specific protein cross links, how is somebody going to go about creating an enzyme like that and then administering it at home?
05:55 AgeVivo : make it @home? i don't think so, unless it is a simple cooking recipy
05:55 ustreamer-83220 : a researh proposal guideline is pretty standard and they would still have to meet those guidelines even if they worked int he garage and planned on self publishing
05:55 ustreamer-83220 : a recipe for cooking mice?
05:55 Eric/brokenportal-322 : well, thats what I thought you were talking about, thats what I dont understand, making stuff like enzymes at home
05:56 Eric/brokenportal-2467 : Im pretty sure cooking them wont help them live longer, but you can try
05:56 kismet-1460 : heat shock response huh
05:56 AgeVivo : i was answering to eric: "make an enzyme at home" ;-) use a drug at home is easy
05:56 ustreamer-83220 : Look never underestimate the creative ingeni\uity of others, I said we would listen, I did not say we would treat all ideas as credible just because we listen
05:56 AgeVivo : (like putting a cat in a microwave ;-)
05:57 AgeVivo : (sorry for my stupid jokes)
05:57 Eric/brokenportal-2524 : so are you saying make the enzyme at home or not make the enzyme at home?
05:58 ustreamer-83220 : Some of the most importan discoveries in history have come out of remarkably destitute labs in broken down shacks but the important part is how well teh investigator keeps their records and defines their methods and hypothesis
05:58 ustreamer-83220 : It also matters a lot if they intend to publish
05:58 Eric/brokenportal-5435 : but we could encourage that with incentives, and funding of this at home idea I guess,
05:58 ustreamer-83220 : My point is that we will entertain proposals not pass judgement on appearences
05:58 AgeVivo : imo NOT *make* the enzyme at home, unless it is a simple cooking recipy. Imo, *use* enzymes at home in mice (or cells perhaps)
05:59 Eric/brokenportal-9617 : so get the enzymes from a big lab and then conduct and document the experiments at home is what your saying?
05:59 Eric/brokenportal-1505 : a big mfuri lab, get them from schloendorn or aubrey or somebody right?
05:59 ustreamer-83220 : I am more inclined to agree with AgeVivo on thi s. The ability to do complex bioengineering at home is pretty far fetched, but the mice cold be kept there under controlled conditions for example
06:00 ustreamer-83220 : I have to go eat, and not cooke dmice. However I wil leave this wiindow up
06:00 Eric/brokenportal-5661 : thats what Im saying, it seems far fetched, but I thought thats what agevivos proposal was
06:00 AgeVivo : yes;i'll try to find the time during christmas to choose THE cage to buy at home from the internet; same for food and mice; the big trouble now is finding/choosing a simple and interesting experiment
06:01 Eric/brokenportal-1752 : alright, there is somebody in here nearly 24/7, we enourage people to leave this open when they are on line so they can pop in and out as conversation develops and they have time, it raises imminst ustream rank
06:01 Eric/brokenportal-576 : and encourages, faciliates more life extension discussion
06:01 AgeVivo : well i have to leave; cu all
06:02 Eric/brokenportal-3685 : like what kind of experiment do you mean? I thought you meant like an enzyme, or some kind of engineered substance, cr and stuff like that will never get a mouse to live long enough for the breakthroughs needed for the prize
  • like x 1

#5 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

06:02 Eric/brokenportal-3685 : like what kind of experiment do you mean? I thought you meant like an enzyme, or some kind of engineered substance, cr and stuff like that will never get a mouse to live long enough for the breakthroughs needed for the prize

- Test if cancer-resistant mice (from Zheng Cui's lab) do live longer, and perhaps of what they die
- Test if published life-extending methods indeed extend life in 'normal' conditions (eg across various homes: various conditions)
- Combine strategies and use them as our guinea pigs!!

#6 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:39 AM

Agevivo, published methods such as what? I know there must be some but like what? Those are the kinds of methods that are going to be requiring people to get there hands on equipment to modify and tweak enzymes and bacteria and splice genes and stuff right? How are people going to splice genes at home though? I suppose a millionaire might be able to, unless you have the chemical methods shipped to you, but Im not sure that would work would it?

Secretary wanted. We need somebody to catalogue the chats every week. Youll want to edit out any non related material and post the rest. Youll want to give a short summary of the whole thing. This is a great way to get involved in an ongoing way with something simple. The position is pretty loose at present so you can pretty much evolve it into anything you want. For example maybe you would want to derive a point from the summary to ad to an agenda for the next week.

Edited by brokenportal, 24 December 2008 - 02:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users