- - - - -

How To Install F@H

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

To join the The Longevity Meme team, compete for the F@H Prize, and directly assist in the advancement of medical research, follow these instructions and links:

Stanford recently updated the client installation guides and in many cases developed new guides.

Folding Clients - Types of clients covered:

Windows

- Uniprocessor (classic) clients (For PCs with a single-core processor)
- SMP client (MPICH) (original SMP client - 32 or 64 bit OS)
- SMP client (DEINO) (a newer version - 32 bit only, 64 bit not supported)
- GPU clients (For running on high-end Graphics Cards)

Linux

- Uniprocessor (classic) clients
- SMP clients

Macintosh

- Uniprocessor clients (Intel/PPC)
- SMP clients (Intel)

PlayStation 3

- Playstation 3 client

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choosing the Folding Client

If you do not know which client to choose, probably the best approach is to go to the client download page here:

http://folding.stanf...nglish/Download

Read the offerings, then decide which client is best for your application.

The first listed in the download page are recommended clients based information provided by your browser.

Other available clients are listed just below the recommended ones.

Suggestion: To obtain maximum productivity (PPD), consider a high performance client for computers with such capabilities as: dual-core, quad-core, GPU, etc. For example, computers with either dual-core or quad-core processors can run a version of the SMP client. A computer with a high-end GPU can run the GPU client.

If you already know that you wish to install a high-performance client (for example GPU client), go here:

http://folding.stanf...ownloadWinOther

Choosing an Installation Guide

Once a client type has been selected, then from the Folding Clients list (links above) choose an installation guide for client you wish to install.

Save, print, or have the the chosen guide open in a separate window, so that you can refer to it during the installation process.

Download and Install the Folding Client

Go back to the "Download page" that lists your preferred client:

Download the chosen client, choose either "Save" or "Run".

Save - Select a location on your hard drive to save/store for future installation
Run - Install immediately

If you choose "Run" be prepared to fill in info according to your previously chosen installation guide.

Two items will be required in all cases:

Your chosen folding User name - xxxxxxxxx
The Longevity Meme Team number - 32461

In some cases the Username and Team number will be entered in a graphical Control Panel box (see example below), in other cases they will be entered in a text only box. Please see the specific instructions for your chosen client.

FAH_Config.gif

For detailed or specific questions/concerns Stanford has a FAH FAQ (Index here).

Note: Kismet and Sentinel substantially contributed to this post.

Edited by maestro949, 18 February 2009 - 06:48 PM.
Added 32/64 bit support description to DEINO/MPICH descriptions

#2 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

Great work chap :)

#3 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

If you join our folding team, please use the same username that you are registered with on our board (if possible). It makes it easier to contact you with news about important updates, bugfixes, prize information, etc. Oh, and don't forget the sign-up for the prize.

#4 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

This shit makes no sense

How do you get a username??

Edited by advancdaltruist, 13 February 2009 - 08:14 PM.

#5 dnamechanic

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

This shit makes no sense...

Likely your words express what may a common reaction to new ideas and concepts/things.

Generally, one chooses their own username (it can be a pseudonym). You personally might want to try "advancdaltruist". Or, you may prefer somethings else.

If the username of choice is already in use, then it may be rejected. It may be possible for multiple users to use the same name as long as they are on different teams, actually I don't know.

Certain usenames are banned, those that contain profanity or words that are not suitable for use in public .

A folding username is similar to any other username. Contributors usually choose a name they like and wish to have their points credited to in the statistics.

All the points a user accumulates are listed at the various statistics sites under a contributors username. If after accumulating points, one decides to change the username then previously credited points stand under the original username, and the points of the new username start accumulating beginning at zero again.

For the above reason, it may be wise to choose a username carefully.

#6 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

This shit makes no sense...

Likely your words express what may a common reaction to new ideas and concepts/things.

You are a real freaking genius kid

Generally, one chooses their own username (it can be a pseudonym). You personally might want to try "advancdaltruist". Or, you may prefer somethings else.

If the username of choice is already in use, then it may be rejected. It may be possible for multiple users to use the same name as long as they are on different teams, actually I don't know.

Certain usenames are banned, those that contain profanity or words that are not suitable for use in public .

A folding username is similar to any other username. Contributors usually choose a name they like and wish to have their points credited to in the statistics.

All the points a user accumulates are listed at the various statistics sites under a contributors username. If after accumulating points, one decides to change the username then previously credited points stand under the original username, and the points of the new username start accumulating beginning at zero again.

For the above reason, it may be wise to choose a username carefully.

I closed out of the install because it was asking for a username and I was trying to figure out where the heck you register a username. I can see now that you just make up a username and fill it in on the spot. Generally a username is something unique that you register somewhere, with a password and an email. Now of course it is broken, I cannot uninstall it, and cannot reinstall it. I'm giving up for now because I don't want to spend a ton of time on this.

Edited by advancdaltruist, 13 February 2009 - 09:33 PM.

#7 dnamechanic

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:58 AM

....I'm giving up for now because I don't want to spend a ton of time on this.

That is understandable.

...I closed out of the install because it was asking for a username...I cannot install it, and cannot reinstall it.

It may have installed OK.

There is a fair chance that the install just needs a User name and a Team number.

The default User name is "Anonymous" and the default team number is "0".
Stanford gets a lot of contributions from Team "0" and User name "anonymous".

If this happens to be your case, and if your install is the typical Windows client.

Possibly, you can right-click the Icon in the system tray (at the bottom of the screen).

The FAH icon probably looks like this: FAH_icon.jpg

A menu is presented, select "Configure", then obtain a configuration Control Panel.

FAH_Configure.jpg

In the control Panel, remove the default User name and replace with your chosen User name.

Replace Team number "0" with 32461.

It's OK to leave Passkey blank.

Check the image in the initial post in this thread.

If you installed a different client (in particular the console client) then the username and configuration can be modified in the client.cfg file, it just may require a different method.

Assuming a broadband connection, once you have the configuration established, the client:

- Starts itself.
- Connects to Stanford, downloads work unit, (seconds or few minutes), then disconnects.
- Begins work on the work unit
- After several hours, maybe a couple of days, finishes work unit
- Connects to Stanford, returns work unit results
- Downloads a new work unit (seconds or few minutes), then disconnects

(Stanford credits your team and username with points for completed work unit)
A few hours after completion of work units your credits show at Extreme Overclocking, KakaoStats, and other stats sites.

- Process repeats

The above process runs in "Low Priority" mode such that it yields to your other uses for the computer.

It simply stops folding when you require the computer.

In other words, folding does not slow down normal usage of the computer.

#8 dnamechanic

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:36 AM

This topic was initiated here.

I moved the original response to this location because of the relationship to the Installation of F@H and potential difficultieswith User name and Team number.

Long live!

Long live, ksbalaji,

Sounds like you are folding! Thank you for your efforts.

To help the Longevity Meme team you must use team number 32461.

You may wish to see credits to your name, you can change from "anonymous" to "ksbalaji" if you wish.

.. I tried and think I have installed FaH. It automatically chose me as an anonymous user. I think it is running. Since I have linux (Ubuntu Hardy OS), I do not know how FaH is faring. Any Help?... How to join any team?

If you have a graphical interface to the client, see the immediately preceding post (above): Changing Username and Team number

You may have the "console-only" or "command-line" version of the Linux client.

To change the user name and the team number, it is probably easiest to try this:

- Go the install folder/directory and stop the client with a "Control-C" command.
- Then type: ./fah6 -configonly
- followed by "Enter"

This restarts the client in the configuration mode.

The client then asks a series of questions, which have default answers, if you agree with the default answers then just press "Enter"

The client then goes to the next question.

For most of the questions, the default answer will be fine.

When it asks for User name: You can change "anonymous" to your preferred name

When it asks for team number: you can change "0" to "32461" (this is The Longevity Meme)

---------------------------------------------------

An alternate method is to search for a file called "client.cfg"

This file is located in the Folding install directory/folder.

See this post for A Brief description of the contents of the Folding directory (or folder).

When the client.cfg file is located, open it with a 'nix editor.

The entries next to: username=, and team=, can be changed, but care has to be taken not to disturb any of the format, spaces, or invisible characters.

username=your choice
team=32461

I have successfully used this method, but possibly this may not work for everyone because this file is not really a text file.

In any event, the client must be stopped and re-started for the client.cfg info changes to have effect.

As mentioned above, stop the client with "Control-C" , and when changes are complete re-start the client by typing somethings like this:

./fah6

Followed by "Enter"

You can append various optional flags after the ./fah6, like this:

./fah6 -verbosity 9 (-verbosity 9 causes the log to have a lot of info on it, can be handy later)

./fah6 -advmethods (-advmethods tells Stanford that you are willing to work on newer projects)

Edited by dnamechanic, 15 February 2009 - 04:48 AM.

#9 ksbalaji

• 45 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:59 PM

ksbalaji,

Sounds like you are folding! Thank you for your efforts.

To help the Longevity Meme team you must use team number 32461.

You may wish to see credits to your name, you can change from "anonymous" to "ksbalaji" if you wish.

If you have a graphical interface to the client, see the immediately preceding post (above): Changing Username and Team number

You may have the "console-only" or "command-line" version of the Linux client.

To change the user name and the team number, it is probably easiest to try this:

- Go the install folder/directory and stop the client with a "Control-C" command.
- Then type: ./fah6 -configonly
- followed by "Enter"

......................edited...........................

As mentioned above, stop the client with "Control-C" , and when changes are complete re-start the client by typing somethings like this:

./fah6

Followed by "Enter"

You can append various optional flags after the ./fah6, like this:

./fah6 -verbosity 9 (-verbosity 9 causes the log to have a lot of info on it, can be handy later)

./fah6 -advmethods (-advmethods tells Stanford that you are willing to work on newer projects)

Thanks. I have changed the username and team number successfully. I thing that FaH is running. Now I have noticed something odd. When I got FaH working earlier, the work folder got filled with many files fast. Now after installing afresh using a name and including team number, the work folder is still empty after an hour. Is it OK? Can someone monitor my progress remotely and suggest corrections if my client has bungled? Please guide. I wish to be of some help through this great project which deserves to be supported by everybody and maybe second only to a project, great people call self realisation, which I might never understand.

#10 dnamechanic

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Thanks. I have changed the username and team number successfully. I thing that FaH is running.

Good, thank you for your efforts.

Now I have noticed something odd. When I got FaH working earlier, the work folder got filled with many files fast. Now after installing afresh using a name and including team number, the work folder is still empty after an hour. Is it OK?

The install is probably OK.

The empty Work folder is an indication that the client has not downloaded a work unit from Stanford. Occasionally, Stanford servers are unavailable for a few hours, this could be the case. More likely, the client is not fully activated, or the Internet connection has not been negotiated.

Often, something like this can be cleared by manually stopping the client, then re-starting it.

You can look in the FAHLog.txt file to see what is happening.

Your log will be different but this is an example:

--- Opening Log file [February 15 12:52:08 UTC]

# Linux SMP Console Edition ############################################
##############################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 6.24beta

http://folding.stanford.edu

###############################################################
###############################################################
Launch directory: /home/r3d/foldingathome/CPU1
Executable: ./fah6
Arguments: -smp -verbosity 9 -advmethods

[12:52:08] - Ask before connecting: No
[12:52:08] - User name: Simortal (Team 32461)
[12:52:08] - User ID: 312B476B04F99G15
[12:52:08] - Machine ID: 1
[12:52:08]
[12:52:08] Loaded queue successfully.
[12:52:08]
[12:52:08] + Processing work unit
[12:52:08] At least 4 processors must be requested.Core required: FahCore_a2.exe
[12:52:08] Core not found.
[12:52:08] - Core is not present or corrupted.
[12:52:08] - Attempting to download new core...
[12:52:08] + Downloading new core: FahCore_a2.exe
[12:52:08] Downloading core (/~pande/Linux/x86/Core_a2.fah from www.stanford.edu)
[12:52:08] - Autosending finished units... [February 15 12:52:08 UTC]
[12:52:08] Trying to send all finished work units
[12:52:08] + No unsent completed units remaining.
[12:52:08] - Autosend completed
[12:52:09] Initial: AFDE; + 10240 bytes downloaded
[12:52:09] Initial: 6629; + 20480 bytes downloaded
[12:52:09] Initial: 8660; + 30720 bytes downloaded
[12:52:09] Initial: 06EA; + 40960 bytes downloaded

There is maximum detail in the above log because the extension "-verbosity 9" was used.

The client actually starting work on the work unit is represented below:

[07:18:51] Preparing to commence simulation
[07:18:51] - Looking at optimizations...
[07:18:51] - Files status OK
[07:18:52] - Expanded 4835338 -> 23981533 (decompressed 495.9 percent)
[07:18:52] Called DecompressByteArray: compressed_data_size=4835338 data_size=23981533, decompressed_data_size=23981533 diff=0
[07:18:52] - Digital signature verified
[07:18:52]
[07:18:52] Project: 2669 (Run 5, Clone 78, Gen 69)
[07:18:52]
[07:18:52] Assembly optimizations on if available.
[07:18:52] Entering M.D.
[07:19:02] (Run 5, Clone 78, Gen 69)
[07:19:02]
[07:19:02] Entering M.D.
[11:11:44] Completed 5008 out of 250000 steps (2%)
[13:15:28] Completed 7508 out of 250000 steps (3%)
[15:17:26] Completed 10008 out of 250000 steps (4%)
[16:10:15] Completed 12508 out of 250000 steps (5%)

Note that you can see the progress in increments of one percent (%).

When the work unit is complete, the progress will indicate "completed ...100%".

There are other (more interesting) ways of Monitoring FAH Progress.

Can someone monitor my progress remotely and suggest corrections if my client has bungled?

In principle it is possible, but not very practical.

Actually, only your local computer has access to the files that indicate how your folding is progressing.

When work units have been completed, others can see the results (scores) that appear at various stats sites.

I wish to be of some help through this great project which deserves to be supported by everybody...

Thank you for your words of support.

Edited by dnamechanic, 15 February 2009 - 08:45 PM.

#11 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

I wonder, are there any topics around here that say more directly, "Join Imminst tlm folding team" or something like that? It might prompt more people who are willing to, who we may not get through to about joining one on one, to join. Is a topic like this a good candidate to maybe try a trial of changing the topic title in?

#12 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:44 PM

I wonder, are there any topics around here that say more directly, "Join Imminst tlm folding team" or something like that? It might prompt more people who are willing to, who we may not get through to about joining one on one, to join. Is a topic like this a good candidate to maybe try a trial of changing the topic title in?

I looked again and I still dont see such a topic. I think Ill create one now. imminst.org/fah seems to go over joining this pretty fluidly.

#13 brainslugged

• 305 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

I just installed it, but now it is saying it is inactive. It says "Client: local Online Inactive"

Here is my log

*********************** Log Started 2012-07-27T00:28:41Z ***********************
00:28:41:************************* Folding@home Client *************************
00:28:41: Website: http://folding.stanford.edu/
00:28:41: Copyright: © 2009-2012 Stanford University
00:28:41: Author: Joseph Coffland <joseph@cauldrondevelopment.com>
00:28:41: Args: --lifeline 7204 --command-port=36330
00:28:41: Config: C:/Users/Taylor/AppData/Roaming/FAHClient/config.xml
00:28:41:******************************** Build ********************************
00:28:41: Version: 7.1.52
00:28:41: Date: Mar 20 2012
00:28:41: Time: 19:37:42
00:28:41: SVN Rev: 3515
00:28:41: Branch: fah/trunk/client
00:28:41: Compiler: Intel® C++ MSVC 1500 mode 1200
00:28:41: Options: /TP /nologo /EHa /Qdiag-disable:4297,4103,1786,279 /Ox -arch:SSE
00:28:41: /QaxSSE2,SSE3,SSSE3,SSE4.1,SSE4.2 /Qopenmp /Qrestrict /MT
00:28:41: Platform: win32 XP
00:28:41: Bits: 32
00:28:41: Mode: Release
00:28:41:******************************* System ********************************
00:28:41: CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
00:28:41: CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
00:28:41: CPUs: 8
00:28:41: Memory: 7.92GiB
00:28:41: Free Memory: 3.44GiB
00:28:41: Threads: WINDOWS_THREADS
00:28:41: On Battery: false
00:28:41: UTC offset: -4
00:28:41: PID: 1376
00:28:41: CWD: C:/Users/Taylor/AppData/Roaming/FAHClient
00:28:41: OS: Windows 7 Professional
00:28:41: OS Arch: AMD64
00:28:41: GPUs: 1
00:28:41: GPU 0: ATI:4 Cayman XT [AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series]
00:28:41: CUDA: Not detected
00:28:41:Win32 Service: false
00:28:41:***********************************************************************
00:28:41:<config>
00:28:41: <!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
00:28:41: <gpu v='true'/>
00:28:41:
00:28:41: <!-- User Information -->
00:28:41: <team v='32461'/>
00:28:41: <user v='brainslug'/>
00:28:41:
00:28:41: <!-- Folding Slots -->
00:28:41:</config>
00:28:41:Trying to access database...
00:28:41:Successfully acquired database lock
00:28:41:Enabled folding slot 00: READY gpu:0:"Cayman XT [AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series]"
00:28:41:Enabled folding slot 01: READY smp:8
00:28:41:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://www.stanford....D64/Core_a4.fah
00:28:41:WU01:FS01:Connecting to www.stanford.edu:80
00:28:41:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://www.stanford....600/Core_16.fah
00:28:41:WU00:FS00:Connecting to www.stanford.edu:80
00:28:41:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to connect to www.stanford.edu:80: The requested address is not valid in its context.
00:28:41:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to connect to www.stanford.edu:80: The requested address is not valid in its context.
00:28:45:Server connection id=1 on 0.0.0.0:36330 from 127.0.0.1
00:29:02:Server connection id=2 on 0.0.0.0:36330 from 127.0.0.1
00:29:05:Server connection id=2 ended
00:29:41:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://www.stanford....D64/Core_a4.fah
00:29:41:WU01:FS01:Connecting to www.stanford.edu:80
00:29:41:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to connect to www.stanford.edu:80: The requested address is not valid in its context.
00:29:41:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://www.stanford....600/Core_16.fah
00:29:41:WU00:FS00:Connecting to www.stanford.edu:80
00:29:41:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to connect to www.stanford.edu:80: The requested address is not valid in its context.
00:30:30:Server connection id=3 on 0.0.0.0:36330 from 127.0.0.1
00:30:56:Server connection id=3 ended
00:31:18:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://www.stanford....D64/Core_a4.fah
00:31:18:WU01:FS01:Connecting to www.stanford.edu:80
00:31:19:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to connect to www.stanford.edu:80: The requested address is not valid in its context.
00:31:19:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://www.stanford....600/Core_16.fah
00:31:19:WU00:FS00:Connecting to www.stanford.edu:80
00:31:19:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to connect to www.stanford.edu:80: The requested address is not valid in its context.
00:33:56:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://www.stanford....D64/Core_a4.fah
00:33:56:WU01:FS01:Connecting to www.stanford.edu:80
00:33:56:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to connect to www.stanford.edu:80: The requested address is not valid in its context.
00:33:56:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://www.stanford....600/Core_16.fah
00:33:56:WU00:FS00:Connecting to www.stanford.edu:80
00:33:56:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to connect to www.stanford.edu:80: The requested address is not valid in its context.

However, I can visit www.stanford.edu in my browser just fine. My only antivirus programs are AVG and Malewarebytes, neither of which should have a firewall blocking it.

EDIT: Never mind, I think I got it working. I just downloaded the files manually and put them in all the folders that the program has. Now it says it is running.

Edited by brainslug, 27 July 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#14 DLR

• 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

I've just joined your team. Long live!

#15 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

Thanks DLR!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users