Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Essay/Writing Contests

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nihilated

• 87 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:39 AM

Hi, I'd like to introduce myself as an avid writer with strong opinions on so many controversial issues that exist in the world/society today. I absolutely love writing about the sorts of persuasive or expository topics that are pertinent to the underlying conflicts of environment, religion, equality, and much more.

Does anyone know about any essay/writing contests that are out there that could possibly give scholarships for selected essays? I've already looked at a few related to global warming, evolution/creationism in schools, and poverty, but was wondering if there were more organizations that were granting scholarships. I appreciate your efforts.

Thank you,
Ben

#2 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:02 PM

Most scholarships and grants also require essays as well as some prizes or *awards*.

We have had a few contests in the past and have considered having some again but it requires a few members to act as a review committee and an agreement on important topics. However the biggest drawback appeared to be the number of entries in the past.

Contests like these are best if there is a good pool of entries to select from but it is also difficult to get the word out to the right places to encourage entries. Could you provide some examples please of where you went to find out about contests?

If you have to find each contest at the source it is very difficult to locate all the ones that might be relevant to the writer. If you go to Scholarship web or some such website they will offer a wide array of options for grants and scholarships but that is not all the types of writing contests out there. There are also contest with specific sources as you have alluded to, clubs, political advocacy groups, etc, but I am looking for someone that centralizes all such contests into one location.

#3 Nihilated

• Topic Starter
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:35 AM

Well, here's a website that has a database of a bunch of scholarships:
http://www.fastweb.com/

It alphabetizes a huge list of scholarships, but you have to sign up to use it.
I've also found a bunch of smaller ones but like you said, they are very specific to a cause.

#4 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:10 PM

I think this is the same kind of writing that Mind is looking for. He put out a request looking for origional life extension related articles to put on the front page. If thats something that interests you then get a hold of him about it. If you wrote for the front page it would certainly help you out on your resume wouldnt it?

Me and a few people are also outlining a project to coordinate an effort to get more students to give speeches on life extension at their schools. One part of it is that we will want to prep speeches and talking points for them. If you want to help with that then let me know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users