Progeria treatment breakthrough

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

The following finding is interesting because it presents an opportunity to see a pseudo aging process in action and now also a possible means of turning that process off.

I think it is *pseudo* because it only mimics how aging works through the failure of the gene switch that regulates cell division but it is not true aging, however the resulting cardiovascular disease IS a form of age related disease and now I wonder if there will be a constructive spill over from this to adult patients without progeria but suffering from cardiovascular disease as well as other age related conditions.

New Hope for Progeria: Drug for Rare Aging Disease
A promising treatment for a rare childhood disorder characterized by rapid aging and death prevented and even reversed the most devastating effect of the disease in mice. Researchers report in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA that the therapy could potentially help youngsters combat life-threatening cardiovascular disease resulting from the genetic condition Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.

Researchers say that each progeria case arises randomly due to a single letter change in one gene of the child's DNA. The mutation—believed to occur in the father’s sperm before conception—results in the production of a toxic protein that attaches to and distorts the nucleus (the cell's command center containing its genetic material). Although cells normally multiply during growth and development, the misshapen nucleus cannot divide properly, ultimately damaging cells and accelerating the aging process.

Cardiovascular disease in these young patients develops as vulnerable cells lining the interior of major arteries (vessels that carry blood away from the heart) accumulate the toxic protein and die. This causes the arteries to stiffen and crack, leading to plaque buildup that blocks blood flow. Low-dose aspirin is often used to help prevent heart attacks, but some children even undergo bypass surgery or angioplasty (dilation of the arteries) to slow the disease.

Genetically engineered mice carrying the progeria mutation were used to test the effectiveness of farnesyltransferase inhibitors (FTIs) in combating progeria-related cardiovascular disease. FTIs restore the shape of the nucleus, thereby saving cells from premature destruction by preventing the toxic protein from attaching to the command hub.

Researchers found that FTIs not only prevented cardiovascular damage in young mice, but also reversed the disease in older animals treated after the onset of arterial damage. "We were amazed that [the drug] worked so well," says Francis Collins, a geneticist and former director of the National Human Genome Research Institute, who led the research team that identified the progeria gene mutation in 2003.

Beyond progeria, these results have the potential to benefit all patients with cardiovascular disease. Researchers have discovered that the toxic protein responsible for progeria is actually produced at low levels in all humans, possibly accumulating as we age. Thus, by studying these rare children, Collins says, we can further our understanding of a major mechanism of human aging—and perhaps, find new ways to slow the process.(excerpt)

#2 aikikai

• 251 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:54 AM

Researchers say that each progeria case arises randomly due to a single letter change in one gene of the child's DNA. The mutation—believed to occur in the father’s sperm before conception—results in the production of a toxic protein that attaches to and distorts the nucleus (the cell's command center containing its genetic material). Although cells normally multiply during growth and development, the misshapen nucleus cannot divide properly, ultimately damaging cells and accelerating the aging process.

Sounds like Progeria is similar to normal aging - wear and tear effect on the cells, but in a different and faster way in the Progeria cases.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

Sounds like Progeria is similar to normal aging - wear and tear effect on the cells, but in a different and faster way in the Progeria cases.

Actually i was asking me the same question, if progeria is a similar aging process.

#4 aikikai

• 251 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:51 AM

Actually i was asking me the same question, if progeria is a similar aging process.

I wouldn't say Progeria is "normal aging" in a faster rate, just that Progeria seems to have the same attributes as normal aging. In normal aging we get similar damage and changes to the cells as in Progeria, but difference in Progeria is that the damage is already there, and in normal aging we "get" it during our longer life span.

Edited by aikikai, 12 October 2008 - 10:54 AM.

#5 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

Current treatments for progeria are limited to high-calorie diets to prevent weight loss and physical therapy to alleviate joint stiffness.

They use high-calorie diets to prevent weight loss and physical therapy but why some people in the forum use calorie restriction to prevent aging ?

(excuse my question but i am new here)

#6 Lazarus Long

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:33 PM

The *symptoms* of progeria do mimic aging and many of the resulting impacts not only *look* like aging but are basically the same but in fact they are the result of what should be seen as *parallel* but not quite the exact same processes. For example in progeria victims the severe onset of aging precedes even the onset of puberty so normal aging is not really going on.

The patients do not even *develop* normally to maturity in a physical manner and their brains are actually not getting a chance to develop normally before cumulative damage can actually trigger a type of Alzheimer's result that looks like developmental impairment.

Try looking at the issue causally, the effect is the same but not the cause, it is just that the cause in this case (cellular malfunction) results in overlapping very similar (but not the exact same) results. The reason is because aging produces many of the same kinds of damage cumulatively over a long time, and in progeria victims the damage is initiated by a gene malfunction that disables the cell and accelerates the rate of damage resulting in catastrophic cellular damage in a short time. The importance of the overlap should not be overstated, however it is important and should not be underestimated either.

The effects of this gene switch in lab animals would give a way to test many age related treatments, starting with the cardiovascular issue that appears reversible in their case. We need to understand better *why*, but it is not the result of some type of metabolic clock function and should not be confused to be such.

Second, we need to look for more such subtle switches over other gene *systems* that govern larger cell functions like cell apoptosis and genetic fidelity, telomer shortening, etc. You see it may be possible to control. repair, replace, and/or therapeutically augment those switches as well and this might initiate or reactivate late stage repair mechanisms that are already present in the body but disabled or malfunctioning due to normal aging. This could result in dramatically improved healing in the elderly for example.

It might also be possible to prevent some systems from shutting down. It is important to look at aging as a systemic malfunction, there are some parts of the system that are more important than others but we must always try and fix the whole system and not just one part. Some elements will produce more significant (obvious) short term result and other perhaps more subtle repairs will allow those short term impacts to produce a longer term result.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 aikikai

• 251 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

Current treatments for progeria are limited to high-calorie diets to prevent weight loss and physical therapy to alleviate joint stiffness.

They use high-calorie diets to prevent weight loss and physical therapy but why some people in the forum use calorie restriction to prevent aging ?

(excuse my question but i am new here)

What I think;

1. Progeria is not exactly the same as normal aging.
2. Calories are not the cause of Progeria and has almost zero contribution to the disease.
3. Progeria disease people live to around 13 years old, so CR wouldn't help that much.
4. CR works best for human beings living a long life where food/calories can cause cellular damage over an extended period of time. Therefore calories wouldn't affect that much in Progeria.

Edited by aikikai, 12 October 2008 - 02:36 PM.

#8 Lazarus Long

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

(aikikai)
What I think;

1. Progeria is not exactly the same as normal aging.
2. Calories are not the cause of Progeria and has almost zero contribution to the disease.
3. Progeria disease people live to around 13 years old, so CR wouldn't help that much.
4. CR works best for human beings living a long life where food/calories can cause cellular damage over an extended period of time. Therefore calories wouldn't affect that much in Progeria.

Spot on from my understanding. A very well laid out and succinct analysis.

#9 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:31 PM

CR works best for human beings living a long life where food/calories can cause cellular damage over an extended period of time.

CR actually works "better" in short-lived organisms. The shorter it lives, the more percent life-extension you get. I think it's a rather cool idea to put progeric mice on CR. No idea what would happen, but we'd sure learn something.

#10 Lazarus Long

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:14 AM

I think it's a rather cool idea to put progeric mice on CR. No idea what would happen, but we'd sure learn something.

The problem might be in progeriatric mice that they literally waste away and die before a benefit of CR is experienced.

The long and short lived aspect is relative to *normal* species longevity. In progeria the children are still trying to develop so their bodies demand higher quantities for that purpose but the cellular malfunction causes the growth process itself to initiate the cumulative damage at an accelerated rate.

What they are learning appears to be an ability to alter other genes or provide specific proteins that are missing in progeria victims in order to reverse the cardiovascular damage. I wonder if slowing cell growth entirely would be a way of slowing the onset of the condition? Or if that is even possible?

I agree though it would be an interesting experiment either way. I also think it would be interesting in general to develop age reversal treatments by working with progeriatric mice. Do you think it is possible to create a set of these based on the procedure for knocking out that target gene?

It's funny, this idea is the antithesis of the Methuselah Mouse yet like all good dialectic dilemmas the synthesis of the two might really help to achieve the advances that we are seeking.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#11 aikikai

• 251 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:37 AM

CR works best for human beings living a long life where food/calories can cause cellular damage over an extended period of time.

CR actually works "better" in short-lived organisms. The shorter it lives, the more percent life-extension you get. I think it's a rather cool idea to put progeric mice on CR. No idea what would happen, but we'd sure learn something.

Yes, the percent would increase, but counting that in time, it is not much anyway. Example;

Short-lived organism, normal life span 5 years + 20% CR benefit = 6 years old (+1 year).
Long-lived organism, normal life span 50 years + 10% CR benefit = 55 years old (+ 5 years).

So long-lived organisms benefits more in time (most of the time) than short-lived organisms.

In Progeria I wouldn't expect much, and even if some life extension would appear, it is in my opinion a total waste of time to test CR on Progeria. As Progeria people has impared cells and probably a not so effective metabolism, they need more calories to reach an optimal level equal to normal calorie intake in healty people. So CR in Progeria would damage more, as no sufficient energy is available (which explains why Progeria children need more energy to avoid getting skinny).

Regards

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users