• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Rich churches, rich preachers and poor saints. Where did we go wrong?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

In the podcast below, an anonymous speaker points out the serious problem with rich churches and rich preachers and the need to follow the communal sharing model set forth by the Father in the book of Acts for having all things in common. Acts 2:44,45; 4:32-35. I thought you might like it. :)

Edited by elijah3, 12 October 2008 - 08:35 PM.

#2 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:30 AM

The antichrist slipped in there by accident. Sorry! I was saving that one for another day. :)

#3 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:58 AM

My childhood best friend graduated from the Earl Paulk Institute (a Bible College) that was attached to a very rich "mega church" in Decatur, Georgia and lead by senior pastor, Earl Paulk. There were allegations even then of massive sexual misconduct by Paulk, but legal "slaps" and where that failed, financial pay-outs, muffled most of the scandal. But eventually things blew apart and Earl Paulk had to face the consequences and jail (but he got away with so much for years, he only went behind bars this past January as an 80 year-old man). The college my friend graduated from is no more and attendance at the once "mega" church is a fraction of what is used to be.

I have such anger toward Earl Paulk because I saw my best friend go from an eager young future pastor to a very disenfranchised pastoral studies graduate who was sick to his stomach about life due to the many torrid reports he had heard about a man who at one time had been his personal hero. I witnessed many people lecture him about not putting his trust in "the arm of the flesh" but I found that very simplistic and even insulting.

http://www.religionn...62/earl-paulk-6

A lot of Americans seem to like the whole mega church idea but putting a minister on a pedestal and giving him/her superstar status is a recipe for disaster. But the people who go to these churches seem to enjoy perks such as a vast multitude of classes and organizations to suit their various demographic needs. I think it is more about what the church leadership offers the congregation/potential attendees (i.e. marketing!) than what the members have to offer each other. And so the communal sharing model is not going to be very popular in our age of "what's in it for me?"

Early Mormons (on a fairly large scale) tried to live the "law of consecration" but it was ultimately a failure. The communal sharing model would be especially challenging in our current era.

John Grigg

#4 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:04 AM

Sorry to hear about your friend being deceived by Earl Paulk. This type of thing is happening regularly. A lot of people are being turned off to Yahweh (God) and the Bible because of the antichrist practices of the false churches as mentioned in the podcast.

May be you could turn your friend on to the podcast and recommend he take a deeper look into the Scriptures.

And so the communal sharing model is not going to be very popular in our age of "what's in it for me?"

True, it's not now popular, but I believe it will become so as time goes. People will eventually come to realize it's the only way to live that'll bring about peace, justice and a longer, healthier life.

Early Mormons (on a fairly large scale) tried to live the "law of consecration" but it was ultimately a failure.

The Mormons were not living their communal existence firmly on the Yahweh's laws and Yahshua's teachings. I know for a fact the Mormons don't keep the Holy Days mentioned in Leviticus 23:1-44. I'm sure there are other laws and teachings they don't follow as well. To be successful it must be done just right. It's not just communal living alone.

#5 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:08 AM

Why have humans invented God? To become rich and powerful. So, these rich churches and preachers only do the thing for which religion was created. All big rulers claimed to be the son of God, for example the pharaohs, the emperors of China (son of the heaven), Alexander the great,... The priest will do anything to keep there power even murder (of course in name of God). Even pharaoh Achenaton couldn't escape from his priests. Religious leaders will also do everything to become rich (false relics, selling positions like bishop and clearing of sins for money).

#6 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:30 PM

Why have humans invented God?

Other way around. God invented man.

There's an excellent video, at http://www.beyondtod...ProgramID=bt015, entitled Does God Exist?

To become rich and powerful. So, these rich churches and preachers only do the thing for which religion was created. All big rulers claimed to be the son of God, for example the pharaohs, the emperors of China (son of the heaven), Alexander the great,... The priest will do anything to keep there power even murder (of course in name of God). Even pharaoh Achenaton couldn't escape from his priests. Religious leaders will also do everything to become rich (false relics, selling positions like bishop and clearing of sins for money).

That's why the true religion taught in the Bible gives us the Church in Acts as an example. If we can master Yahshua's teachings and the Acts Church model of communal sharing of all things, we will never have a problem with the rich and powerful rising up to exploit those beneath them.

Edited by elijah3, 18 October 2008 - 10:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users