Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Positive affect gene 5-HTTLPR

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 immortal7

• 22 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:26 PM

I just read about a fascinating gene [url="http://%5burl="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=search&term=5-HTTLPR&log$=activity"]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?d...ont="Times[/url] New Roman"]5-HTTLPR which predicts positive affect Persons with the long version (blue) are about half as anxious, half as obsessive, generally a third less neurotic, generally slightly more trusting, plus more directed towards their own values

If I did 23andme.com I'd prefer to have the happy version yet if I'd be thrilled to do IVF to make sure my child got the beneficial long version

Posted Image
Posted Image

ORIGINAL PAPER
Association of the s allele of the 5-HTTLPR with neuroticism-related traits and temperaments in a psychiatrically healthy population
Xenia Gonda1, 2 , Konstantinos N. Fountoulakis3, Gabriella Juhasz4, Zoltan Rihmer1, Judit Lazary2, Andras Laszik5, Hagop S. Akiskal6, 7, 8 and Gyorgy Bagdy2, 9

Introduction Research concerning the genetic background of traits, temperaments and psychiatric disorders has been rapidly expanding. One of the most frequently studied genetic polymorphisms in the background of psychological and psychiatric phenomena is the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism of the serotonin transporter gene which has earlier been found to be associated with neuroticism and neuroticism-related traits and disorders. However, both the neuroticism trait and psychiatric disorders are complex and composed of several subfacets. The aim of our study was to investigate the association of the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism with several smaller, distinct and better characterisable phenomena related to the neuroticism trait.
Methods 169 healthy females participated in the study. All participants completed the Buss–Durkee Hostility Inventory (BDHI), the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI), The Zung Self-rating Depression Scale (ZSDS), the Beck Hopelessness Scale, the SCL-51, the Temperament and Character Inventory (TCI) and the Temperament Evaluation of Memphis, Pisa, Paris and San Diego (TEMPS-A) questionnaire. All subjects were genotyped for the 5-HTTLPR using PCR. Data were analysed with ANOVA and MANCOVA with age as a covariate.
Results We found that the presence of the s allele was significantly associated with anxiety, depression, hopelessness, guilt, hostility, aggression, presence of neurotic symptoms, self-directedness and affective temperaments carrying a depressive component even when controlling for age.
Conclusions Our study is the first that confirms that traits and characteristics related to neuroticism, such as increased anxiety, depression, hopelessness, somatization, feeling of guilt, hostility, aggression, lack of self-directedness and affective temperament are consistently and independently associated with the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism of the serotonin transporter gene. Our study therefore suggests that neuroticism can be considered a unified construct not only from a phenotypical but also from a genetic point of view and 5HTTLPR can be considered one component of its polygenic background. Our results thus yield further insight into the role of the 5-HTTLPR in the background of neuroticism and neuroticism-related psychiatric disorders.

Attached Files

Edited by immortal7, 14 October 2008 - 11:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users