• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Aorist - aohelix what are the pros and cons of these names?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:41 PM

Some of us life extensionists in myspace are developing a page to network longevity communities here.

It needs a promotable hypable name. Can you check out the name that is being tested for it currently and let us know if it works? I, and maybe some of the other people working on it, are going to be putting money behind spreading this name on flyers, posters, possibly a .com address and stuff like that.

Right now its narrowed down to (others may be brought back or introduced if we dont go with one of these) "aorist" or "aohelix" or some form of it like "ao.helix" or "ao.He.Li.X". It stands for "Aorist Healthy Life Extension". Aorist is greek for indefinite. These are some pros and cons we've listed:

aohelix:

pros
abbreviation of sorts of "aoristo healthy life extension"
can make it its own brand
has gimmicky qualities
ao can be spun in different ways adding mystique
-alpha omega
-aorist
-its like ai
it probably has other biological implications, ie. I think theres an ao protein,
sounds better than using its alternative, "inhelix" "indefinite healthy life extension"

cons
not a direct abbreviation because it excludes the e in extension
nobody knows what aoristo means (from my research, what I gather it is greek for indefinite)
doesnt grammaticly sound like it could be used as a word that means "indefinite"
conveying its pronounciation "A O Helix" has its short comings
-aohelix is easy to spread on flyers and tell people to go to, but leaves uncertainty in pronounciation
-ao.helix is hard to spread because people wont always remember the dot, or where it goes, but it clears up pronounciation

aoristo/ aorist:

pros
already means indefinite
could be brought back, was a common word in like the 1500s
sounds intellectually catchy
can be said to rhyme with christ or fist, both have their advantages
-ryming with christ has mystique
-as an "ist" like "enthusiast" "cyclist" etc.. it flows, it grammatically works
it fits the bill of what we need
its brandable, we can own it and contribute to its use like "monster" "amazon" etc..
it grammatically works, you could call yourself an "aorist" but not really an "aohelixist"

cons
nobody knows what it means
it might not mean indefinite as strongly as we need it to
might be taken as hard to pronounce, but a lot of good words start out that way
does not have a good gimmicky quality

*There are a lot of other aspects of the longevity communities network myspace page in development. If you want to help in general then let me know.

Edited by brokenportal, 15 October 2008 - 11:47 PM.

#2 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

Its hard deciding on this, we are still working to settle on a name. Any feedback will be really valuable.

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:17 AM

The first time I saw Aorist, I thought it meant a devotee of Advanced Orthomolecular Research

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:51 AM

From a cultural reference standpoint, and I'm not exactly proud of these popping up in my mind, when I see "aorist" I get:

1) Eeyore ( and that insufferable Buddhist Winnie the Pooh correlation)
and
2) Captain Eo (that sci-fi Michael Jackson 3-D movie they had at Epcot for awhile)

Two Disney movies... that can't be the future....

-----
I remember a time in the 90's when "helix"("DNA, everybody!") and aquamarine/turquoise were big in sports team colors.

Try something that resonates without a Greek dictionary. I see all these products for blobject-styled products that turnout having root words in various languages and you'd never know. It seems contrived, too branded. Just say what's in your heart, sugarplum, and she'll love you for the organization you are.

Edited by REGIMEN, 29 October 2008 - 05:59 AM.

#5 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:06 AM

I didnt use a greek dictionary because I thought using a greek word would help it resonate well or anything like that. I used it because it was the first language I could find with a word that meant indefinite or something close to it. Many others didnt have a word for indefinite in their language when I did a search.

If we were for immortalism we could be infinitists, so technically we kind of are aorists. Aohelix then would be to aorist what Immortalism is to "infinitists" (if infinitists were a word, but you know what I mean) I know it may not be a shiny bright gem of a word, but it works as a word, and more so than not doesnt it? Or does it really actually truly not resonate well at all? Any more feedback? Please do comment. I remember when the words google and blog were new to the scene. I thought they were both stupid and sucked, but now I think of them as regular old good descriptive words.

#6 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:38 PM

I find both of these exceedingly hard for me to pronounce. That, IMO, is a big strike against them. Other than that, they're good.

#7 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:50 PM

That was one of my biggest fears, but I wasnt sure if it would be taken that way. Ive been using aohelix as a handle around the internet and people just call me helix. So Im still tossing that around in my head, like, maybe if we go with like, aohelix.com, then people would just call it helix, but know that its aohelix, but that probably wouldnt work out that way. If we went with helix, it would work, but it takes "indefinite" out of the equation and makes helix the abbreviation for "Healthy Life eXtension" although that has its problems. Helix is already a name of course, and healthy life extension isnt quite what we are going for, its the indefinity of it. Aorist I think could be brought back with a little memeing as a word. It was a word that died out, from what I gather in like the 1500s. So, I guess, what do you, or anybody think about "helix" or a more pronounced separation of aohelix like, ao.helix, or aoHELIX or something? and what do you think about the whole bringing "aoristo" being brought back to define indefinite? We could own the word, and form it a bit to our cause.

#8 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:01 PM

aohelix may sound a bit complicated for some people......

#9 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

Yes, true, but does that outweigh the good that the name would have? and or is there some kind of tweak to the name you can think of that would work? Like maybe, "the aorist helix" or just "helix.com" or maybe it would work if we called it aohelix but had it be at ao.com, and called it ao for short or something. There are other names that could be considered, but this one is in the front running right now. Just need enough feedback, so thanks.

#10 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:29 AM

anohelix or annohelix is a bit easier to pronounce...

#11 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:46 PM

What does ano mean or stand for?

Another thing I was reading through again that duke was saying before is that a name really shouldnt exceed 3 syllables I think it was. Other wise people will automatically shorten it. Like calling Federal Express, fedex, or Immortality Institute, imminst. Aohelix is 4 syllables right? Anohelix, I think is 4 also. Does anybody have any ideas on makeing it 3?

Like, Helix+, but Ive noticed that the plus can become a little problematic. Like if somebody hears about it and want to find its website, would they know to type in a + or would the type in plus?

Im kind of thinking, "Aoristo Helix" and then people could/would probably default to calling it Helix. There are other names in the running, but we'd really like to get this one turned over, inside out and upside down and discussed and check it out.

#12 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:28 AM

Aoristo Helix seems long and complicated to me.

I like Aorist and kinda like Aohelix, but beware, my tastes are not to be relied upon...

- Tracy

#13 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:47 AM

Good point, but do you think that they would default to calling it helix, and if they did, do you think that would work? I mean, the name could be Aoristo Helix, and be refered to as Helix. Not sure though.... Any other insights on that? Ive tested Aohelix in a gaming community Im advertising fah in. I call myself aohelix and people revert to calling me helix. Im mic'ed up for this community and so these are the actual verbal words they say.

#14 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

What does ano mean or stand for?

I'm pretty sure anno means "year" in Latin.

#15 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:37 AM

I see, but it definently needs to mean some form of "indefinite". There may be a word in another language that would work but I havent found one. I havent found any actually except aoristo.

#16 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:44 AM

definently needs to mean some form of "indefinite"

I don't think that "infinity" can be mainstream, because it is extreme.
If (_if_) we do want to keep that meaning, something like "keeping extending healthy human lifespan" has the same meaning at the end, without affraying.
In fact, "extending healthy human lifespan" has the same meaning, as long as it remains the goal of the organization, whatever the past lifespan extensions.

#17 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

definently needs to mean some form of "indefinite"

I don't think that "infinity" can be mainstream, because it is extreme.
If (_if_) we do want to keep that meaning, something like "keeping extending healthy human lifespan" has the same meaning at the end, without affraying.
In fact, "extending healthy human lifespan" has the same meaning, as long as it remains the goal of the organization, whatever the past lifespan extensions.

I dont think that infinity can be mainstream either. Hence we are going with indefinite or a form of it, and hence the same reasons that "Immortality" isnt so great. Although Im beginning to see how Immortality memes well and works well in conjunction with other life extension organizations, hence another good reason for this longevity communities network.

There are tons of forms of "unlimited healthy lifespans" "indefinite life extension" and stuff like that, but we are looking for something with an acronym that makes a gimmicky word. If we cant then the next alternative is most likely to find a whole new word in the spirit of "amazon" and "monster". Also we want to stay away from something that doesnt indicate indefinity because "life extension" as a stand alone concept has become to analogous to supplements. Things like Life Extension magazine and commercials around the world are already memeing it in to mean supplements. When I hear life extension on a late night infomercial Im thinking infomercial snake oil rhetoric, not indefinity and chance to help and see the universe pioneered.

#18 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

I fully share your point of view (nice to be understood so clearly)

#19 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

Go for Helix then, thats gimmicky.

#20 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:20 PM

As discussed in the chat,
- helix.com points at us.gsk.com
=> might be a good idea to contact the owner to possibly change this ($$?)
- Aohelix is available, but not helixir, healix, hulix (price found for helixir: > 8400$ !!!)

as brokenportal is saying,

We need a term people can identify with. It just plain and simply needs a word. That is the whole concept of language. definitions need words. Like what if there was no word for democrat, then what would people call themselves? "Hi, I support a free society where decisions are made by popular vote" or "Im a popular votist" it just, doesnt work, it needs a word

#21 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:27 PM

helix is nice and kind-of to the point but might be rather expensive to purchase. What about prohelix or some other positive pronoun in front of helix.

#22 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:20 AM

helix is nice and kind-of to the point but might be rather expensive to purchase. What about prohelix or some other positive pronoun in front of helix.

Well, Helix is the abbreviation of sorts of "healthy life extension", but we dont want to leave it at that because of a few reasons, the one you state here about its use and price, and because life extension with out indefinite added in there somehow somewhere, denotes the meaning of "life extension" that life extension magazine, late night informercial type things, and snake oils have already memed in, which is that of supplements and snake oil. An addition like "pro" is an option but like, pro for example isnt indicitive enough of "indefinite". "In"helix kind of sucks so we moved to aohelix, but theyre both to many syllables and just a bit too complex. Helix+ might work because transhumanism is already helping meme in the meaning of the + symbol, but its a bit problematic too. If it were called aohelix, people may just call it helix, or ao which could work, but it needs more thought, testing and discussion. AO.com might work, Im liking it, but we'll have to list some pros and cons of it and go over it. "Aohelix, at AO.com" and people could be called AOists. Although I also like aohelix as just a descriptive word, and then to use another term, attempt to meme in another term for a name so it would be like for example, "the Emortality Network, for aohelix"

I thought that this chat that I had with agevivo in the meeting chat room was a good perspective on this so Im copying it here. (Its funny that you also quoted from it here agevivo.)

We still have to work out the name aohelix though, we are still tossing it around, the very best name is there, we just have to find it. This name should be a word that can become a household name. We have to tread carefully in this regard for posterity may end up being stuck with it. I dont think that people will be calling themselves Methuselanians or Immortals, they may call themselves life extensionists but with its correlation to supplements and snake oil rhetoric, probably not, or at least it probably wont catch on as an indefinite connotation any time soon, and we need soon, time is of the essence. We need a term people can identify with. It just plain and simply needs a word. That is the whole concept of language, definitions need words.

Like what if there was no word for democracy, then what would people call themselves? "Hi, I support a free society where decisions are made by popular vote" or "Im a popular votist" it just, doesnt work, it needs a word.

I dont think aohelix or aorist quite work, but we are working on them. The only thing, in my mind at least, that keeps aohelix from being money in the bank is that it is more than 3 syllables. Once this word is ready, if say, we put it in the new imminst book, it would likely become coined right there from then on out. Imminst should and could coin a term like that. Its an important piece of future meme structuring for expedience.

#23 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:45 AM

1. Two syllables
I googled a little: helix, shelix, phelix, thelix, whelix are already names of big projects or companies.
I don't see how khelix and rhelix (Keep Healthy Life Xtension? Repeated/robust/?) would be appropriate.
So we'll need to go to 3 syllables.

2. Three syllables
I looked for things that are similar in meaning to "ao":

Ankhelix seems to match what you are looking for
In ancien egypt, the ankh is the symbol of eternal life
Posted Image

Anhelix could do it too (or annhelix or anohelix perhaps).
According to wikipedia the annulus is a Celtic symbol for eternity
It also existed in egyptian (shen; really means eternity) and greek (ouroboros; more like life cycles)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hehelix perhaps
Heh and his wife Hauhet are the egyptian deities of Infinity and Eternity

3. AgeVivo's current opinion

Personally, i still think that such "ao" meanings aren't easily mainstream,
and that when people hear "helix" they naturally won't match "longevity communities"
until they read many times what "HeLiX" is supposed to mean.

May i suggest
- longevillage? (naturally mean what it is supposed to mean)
- longecity? (bigger than village :) ; one letter away from longevity; but not sure the meaning is obvious at the first reading)
I think those are right to the point for longevity communities

Edited by AgeVivo, 25 November 2008 - 10:55 AM.

#24 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:33 AM

1. Two syllables
I googled a little: helix, shelix, phelix, thelix, whelix are already names of big projects or companies.
I don't see how khelix and rhelix (Keep Healthy Life Xtension? Repeated/robust/?) would be appropriate.
So we'll need to go to 3 syllables.

2. Three syllables
I looked for things that are similar in meaning to "ao":

Ankhelix seems to match what you are looking for
In ancien egypt, the ankh is the symbol of eternal life
Posted Image

Anhelix could do it too (or annhelix or anohelix perhaps).
According to wikipedia the annulus is a Celtic symbol for eternity
It also existed in egyptian (shen; really means eternity) and greek (ouroboros; more like life cycles)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hehelix perhaps
Heh and his wife Hauhet are the egyptian deities of Infinity and Eternity

3. AgeVivo's current opinion

Personally, i still think that such "ao" meanings aren't easily mainstream,
and that when people hear "helix" they naturally won't match "longevity communities"
until they read many times what "HeLiX" is supposed to mean.

May i suggest
- longevillage? (naturally mean what it is supposed to mean)
- longecity? (bigger than village :) ; one letter away from longevity; but not sure the meaning is obvious at the first reading)
I think those are right to the point for longevity communities

Well, your getting closer by looking for ways to extend helix while keeping it one symbol, and by looking for words that mean indefinite to use as alternatives to indefinite and aoristo. Those words like the one for the symbol for eternal life and stuff are too close to immortality though, which is what we are trying to get away from. Longevillage and Longecity dont seem coinable or descriptive enough to me. If we were to use one of those then we may as well just collaborate with the Longevity Meme. There is the new upstart site, "healthy years" but I cant imagine that garnering excitement. If your name can double as a way to generate excitement then it should because other wise you are selling it short, and you shouldnt sell any part of a crucial time dependant cause short if you dont have to. The name should be as strong as the word "Immortality" but mean indefinite rather than infinite.

#25 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:51 AM

aorist is the undefined past tense ("he has eaten") in greek :|?
(and if the date of the event is defined then it is not the same tense, as in English: "he ate this morning")
It is better to discover now that aorist doesn't really mean what some here were looking for...

#26 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

aorist is the undefined past tense ("he has eaten") in greek :|?
(and if the date of the event is defined then it is not the same tense, as in English: "he ate this morning")
It is better to discover now that aorist doesn't really mean what some here were looking for...

True, the word we would need to use is Aoristo or aoristic, aorist is just short for that so I was using that but it probably wont work in the short version. Probably not in the long version either because when we plug it into helix (he.ealthy li.fe eX.tension) it becomes 4 syllables, "aohelix" and we need three syllables for it to work. What we need is another word for indefinite in any language, that we can use the initials of to make a 3 syllable word like, "lahelix" or "rhelix" or "ohelix" or "8th helix" or something like that.

#27 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

as agreed "On Air", coHelix is quite good. that's a great step!

It can mean "COntinuous HEalthy LIfe eXtension"
"co" can also mean "communities", or "concerted"/"collaborative"/"coalition for"

Edited by AgeVivo, 14 December 2008 - 10:30 PM.

#28 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:37 AM

aorist is the undefined past tense ("he has eaten") in greek :)

True, the word we would need to use is Aoristo or aoristic, aorist is just short for that so I was using that but it probably wont work in the short version. Probably not in the long version either because when we plug it into helix (he.ealthy li.fe eX.tension) it becomes 4 syllables, "aohelix" and we need three syllables for it to work. What we need is another word for indefinite in any language, that we can use the initials of to make a 3 syllable word like, "lahelix" or "rhelix" or "ohelix" or "8th helix" or something like that.

How about adding something to the end, like helixco
or misspell like Healix(HEAlthy LIfe eXtension) or Healex

I kinda like Healix

#29 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:48 PM

aorist is the undefined past tense ("he has eaten") in greek :)

How about adding something to the end, like helixco
or misspell like Healix(HEAlthy LIfe eXtension) or Healex

I kinda like Healix

I Kind of like Healix too, kind of a cross between the Didier, Sven and Johans "HEALES" (Healthy Life Extension Society) organiztion they are putting together in Europe. I would link it here but I cant find it in the forums.

coHelix isnt the greatest either, but I guess it works so we are going with that for the sake of a name at least for now. I wish we could find a catchier first two letters that represented "indefinite". It seems like there has just got to be one, because it seems that the "helix", short for "healthy life extension" part of it works perfectly. Ive poured through hundreds of translations of indefinite in a all the languages I could find in different translaters around the web but nothing fit. What would really be good is if we could find a word in a different language that meant indefinite that started with co, that would be a lot better. "Continuous" works but not well enough really. I mean, 3 apples in a row would technically be a continuous row of apples but that sure doesnt speak to the depth that indefinity does.

What letters do you all think might work well with helix just using random letters? Ill make an effort to find a foreign language that has a word for indefinite that begins with good suggestions. Adding something to the end like you say here may work too if something can be found. "Healix" could be considered "Healthy Aoristic Life Extension" but that seems like its stretching this acronym of sorts to far. 2 letters, 1 letter, 2 letters then 2nd 1 letter. We may as well just start pulling letters out of any part of the word at that point, and because "a" for aorist would already be the next letter in "healthy".

I think we are getting closer to finding the word that works though, we'll go for cohelix now and maybe forever but a better one still may jump out.

#30 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:42 AM

We started leaning towards coHelix. Co can stand for a lot of different things, continuous, cohesive, coordinated, and a bunch of others. It kind of works, makes it three sylables, doesnt sound to bad, but doesnt sound to catchy either.

Upon further thinking of AO Helix I realize that the current term, "life extension" has four sylables too, so we wouldnt be making the term used any longer. AO Helix is far more descriptive and on point, although it would have to be coined, I think that it would either go all the way or flop. Im not sure whether to push it or not. If anybody says it doesnt seem like a good word, you have to use it for a couple of months, let it sink in, think about how comfortable you would be putting it on a sign compared to other words. The AO helix just has much more of a mystique and an edge than cohelix, but Im not sure, I mean, the AO Helix, that sounds like it must be something. And it is, its Aoristic Healthy Life Extension.

I still think another two letters is waiting to jump out though. Co had me going there for a while but after thinking about it on signs and using it, I use these names as my gamer names and so people call me it, I hear it coming out of their mouths and it just didnt hit me right. I dont know, back to the drawing board, we will get this right. I know we will, all the pamphlets and signs I and a lot of others will be putting out depend on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users