modafinil and occurence of STDs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dimitri_beta

• 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:57 AM

hello,

should start by saying that I know how STDs get transmitted,
and I have read of Modafinil's side-effects / undesirable effects, of which I am not suggesting getting an STD is one(!),

but, was wondering, has anyone noticed that they have got an STD since they started taking modafinil long-term?

The type of things that comes to mind: herpes, syphillis, chlamydia, ghonorhoea.

Say, if you never had one before, now you did (obviously due to sexual contact that allowed the transmission).

I am therefore wondering whether long-term modafinil usage increases the risk of contracting an STD.

Lets not go into medical statistics and clinical trial design, but, if I hear more individual / circumstancial occurences, although not evidence of any statistical significance as such, a pattern may present itself...

thank you,

dimitri

#2 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:24 AM

What? I'm not sure I understand you - are you looking for people to come forward who since they have started taking modafinil have acquired an STD? Those circumstances would be just what you said they were, entirely individual and circumstantial, unless you are implying that either taking modafinil leads to unprotected promiscuity or promiscuous people engaging in unsafe sex are most likely to be taking modafinil to the point of being statistically significant. Really? :|?

hello,

and I have read of Modafinil's side-effects / undesirable effects, of which I am not suggesting getting an STD is one(!),

but, was wondering, has anyone noticed that they have got an STD since they started taking modafinil long-term?

The type of things that comes to mind: herpes, syphillis, chlamydia, ghonorhoea.

Say, if you never had one before, now you did (obviously due to sexual contact that allowed the transmission).

I am therefore wondering whether long-term modafinil usage increases the risk of contracting an STD.

Lets not go into medical statistics and clinical trial design, but, if I hear more individual / circumstancial occurences, although not evidence of any statistical significance as such, a pattern may present itself...

thank you,

dimitri

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:07 AM

I think it's kind of like if you have sex with someone that has an std there is a high but less than 100% chance of catching that STD. There are things that can tweak that percentage e.g. if you already have another STD or your immune system is suppressed or weakened by a medication. I agree though it's unlikely that someone here will fess up if this happened to them but you never know.

#4 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:42 AM

I think it's kind of like if you have sex with someone that has an std there is a high but less than 100% chance of catching that STD. There are things that can tweak that percentage e.g. if you already have another STD or your immune system is suppressed or weakened by a medication. I agree though it's unlikely that someone here will fess up if this happened to them but you never know.

Don't be having unprotected sex with strangers...keep it simple.

#5 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:47 AM

The chance of getting it is dependent more on the partner, ie if the herpes are shedding or the warts active, or whatever. I don't think there is any real resistance chance at all if the circumstances are right, whatever drugs you are on - if you get AIDS into the blood somehow or hepers or warts on thin tissue, you are going to get it. If anything, any stimulant will lower your immune system some, but your immune system does not really matter because it doesn't have those antibodies unless you are already infected.

#6 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:39 AM

I took 200mg of modafinil this morning. I instantly had a massive outbreak of genital warts. I will not be touching that stuff again

#7 dimitri_beta

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

Caston yeah you got what I mean, and Bgwithadd, thanks for the info;

I had assumed with the curable STDs I mentioned, although didnt check at all, that the "receiver"s prtotective mechanisms (=immune system) would play a part in, from the moment they become a host, whether they will end up with an infection or manage to kill it off.

So, yeah, my hypothesis is, from the little I've read about the modafinil metabolites in the forum(but have certainly noticed the smell in the wee!), that the metabolites weaken the urinary tract's "protection" or otherwise defined defence mechanisms against infectious organisms, resulting in higher chances of getting a urinary or genitary tract infection (since they are shared at times).

Anyway, I guess I'll never know...

D.

PS. I should change the title of the thread, mention sex and people think you are either demonising it, or demonising something associated with it (or what you choose to associate to it).

#8 zocco

• 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:34 AM

Dunno about modafinil, but i read that nicotine can induce viral reactivation in herpes virus:
http://cat.inist.fr/...cpsidt=14776195

But this means you already have virus in your body, and apparently once you get it, you have it for ever.

#9 tracer

• 150 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:01 AM

Okay, so here is a random question for you - what is the impact of Modafinil on the taste of semen, then? I mean, my siginificant other has been getting me to "cut" stuff like Modafinil and Oxiracetam with cinnamon power as a filler to improve the taste of my ejaculate, and of course, avoid things like black pepper (which is a shame, because I am rather partial to pepper-coated steaks).

#10 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:51 AM

Okay, so here is a random question for you - what is the impact of Modafinil on the taste of semen, then? I mean, my siginificant other has been getting me to "cut" stuff like Modafinil and Oxiracetam with cinnamon power as a filler to improve the taste of my ejaculate, and of course, avoid things like black pepper (which is a shame, because I am rather partial to pepper-coated steaks).

LOL!

Something people should ask of all supplements.

#11 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:44 AM

LOL!

Something people should ask of all supplements.

sounds absurd. modafinil and STD, didn't know they're statistically linked. the sulfur metabolites of modafinil or adrafinil (takes longer to act) does make urine smell suphuric and like rotten fish, yellowish bad smelling pee. don't know if it makes semen smell/taste the same way. disgusting to think

Edited by HYP86, 23 November 2008 - 05:48 AM.

#12 nancy_axel

• 175 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:31 AM

yo pm me .. cinnamon does the trick?

#13 nancy_axel

• 175 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:32 AM

hello,

thank you,

dimitri

damn dude i got hit with an std the other night .. coincidentally i was on modalert (indian brand) . .. any correlation?

#14 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:07 AM

damn dude i got hit with an std the other night .. coincidentally i was on modalert (indian brand) . .. any correlation?

Perhaps there was some pill-machine and Indian factory worker action goin' on when they were making your particular batch of modafinil.

#15 nancy_axel

• 175 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

Perhaps there was some pill-machine and Indian factory worker action goin' on when they were making your particular batch of modafinil.

haha nice! nah i trust rambaxy & indian pharma ..

#16 Wandering Jew

• 104 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:21 AM

Does modafinil really increase the risk of STDs?

#17 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

No.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 Jonrobertt

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:58 AM

To clarify: once you contract genital herpes, your body may not show any symptoms for days, months even years. It is truly a case by case basis.

Possible role of Modafinil: this is a stimulant, which may bring about stress- a known cause of outbreaks.

PS. The only way you could possibly contract herpes from the Modafinil is if the virus was actually ON the pill (since genital herpes can be contracted via skin)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users