• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

the life extension lobby site says vote for Obama

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:02 AM

The life extension lobby site in Washington, the Coalition to Extend Lifespans, put out a newsletter in email. I cant find a link to it on their site so I am posting it in whole right here. Tom indicates in the newsletter that Obama is the best choice for a president that supports ideas surrounding the progression of life extension. I also posted this in another topic in the politics and law section but for some reason it didnt bump in the active topics list so Im posting it again here. I think its important that we follow Toms advice and vote for Obama.

Caliban has posted a poll that is in the pinned topics in the politics and law forum here at imminst. Please go there and indicate who you will vote for. It is at the following link:

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=25165

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE DRAGONFLY

A Publication of the Coalition to Extend Life

SORRY FOR THE DELAY

In the last month I have received many communications inquiring about the newsletter. Members have inquired why it has not gone out, what is going on, and what is C.E.L. doing?
These are legitimate questions that deserve an honest answer. As this communiqué shows, the newsletter is still alive. I have been dilatory in writing it due primarily to my active involvement in political campaigns, as an effective means of hopefully promoting Life Extension.
I will explain where C.E.L. is later on, but I want to assure everyone that we are progressing, albeit slowly, within the political arena.
I have spent a lot of time disseminating information to the opinion makers and I also have been involved in the Obama for President Campaign. Once November 4th passes and the elections are over I will be able to communicate more frequently and I will do so!
This is an important election that will decide critical scientific matters from research funding to Stem Cell research and beyond. There are stark differences between the candidate’s issues and if the wrong person prevails our goals will be immeasurably set back. I will explicate my thoughts as this newsletter progresses but for now be aware that elections have consequences and we ignore them at our peril.

C.E.L. GROWS

Despite a hiatus from my duties as Executive Director of C.E.L. it is interesting to note that the organization continues to grow. Our membership is up, we have increased our recognition on Capitol Hill, I am very active in the Obama for President Campaign (a situation that may help us in the future) and people are frequently contacting me about C.E.L.
These are all positive signs! It shows that the nascent movement to extend our lives is slowly but surely catching on among many people from all over the world.
I sincerely believe we will prevail but much remains to be done. In the upcoming months I will contact you about ideas that have come to my attention and merit consideration. I need your help on these matters. I hope you can commit to becoming more involved. We are the largest political Life Extension organization but we must continue to grow. I am in this for the duration and I hope you are committed to the same!

PAYING FOR LIFE EXTENSION

While treatments to extend life indefinitely are not yet available it is not premature to consider who will receive them and why.
Undoubtedly they will be extremely expensive and, at first glance, available only to those who are very wealthy. I doubt that the average health insurance plan will be ecstatic at the prospect of keeping people alive at the cost of unknown billions of dollars and will balk at any attempt to force them to pay.
On the other hand we are trying to build a mass movement and develop the political power to create a “War on Aging.” Quite frankly this cannot occur if the “war” only benefits the rich. We must make it very clear that Life Extension treatments much be available to anyone who desires them not merely those who can readily afford them. Perhaps a new vision of health care, or a classification of aging as a disease or a top level health commission be created to address the problem or some other heretofore unknown solution to this potential problem be put forth.
Indefinite Life Extension will be one of the most profound yet controversial issues in the history of mankind. It is sucj a difficult undertaking that we dare not risk excluding any person who wants to keep living even if they can’t afford it. We cannot build social and political support for something that will affect only the few who have the resources to use it.
There are 47 million Americans without basic health insurance now and it is staggering to contemplate the number of people who could not afford Life Extension measures. When plans are submitted in the next few years to our elected officials we must make sure that medical innovations are available to all, otherwise we will fail politically and more importantly, morally.

THE SCOPE OF LIFE EXTENSION

Too often I receive emails, letters, and comments from people who refer to Life Extension research activities as they relate to the U.S. While these people are earnest and sincere I think it is important to mention the global nature of this issue as well.
Death is a universal disease! It does not discriminate against any one country, or race, or sex. It affects all human beings. It is an equal opportunity killer, therefore it must be treated as a global issue. As Americans we often think in a parochial manner but if we are to combat death it will take a global initiative. It is something that can bring us together as human beings. The possibility of uniting people around the world is profound and must be pursued. I would love to have C.E.L. groups in every country fighting our most insidious enemy—Death. Only then will we discover that our common heritage as Humans transcends all else. Fighting for Indefinite Life Extension for anyone who wants it is a project to unite us in our humanity and as residents of the Earth.
It is certainly an ideal worth fighting for!

NOVEMBER ELECTIONS

In about a week we have an historic election that will have profound ramifications for the Life Extension movement.
On the one hand we have the Republican ticket of John McCain and Sarah Palin, while the Democrats counter with Barak Obama and Joe Biden. In the accompanying editorial I mention who we should support and why but first I wanted to mention a few things that everyone should be doing to promote our cause:
Register to vote- This may sound simple but too often people forget to register, do not turn out on Election Day, are indifferent to the electoral system or do not think it matters.
If you fall into any of the above categories you might as well not read forward. Voting is the entry level into choosing your leaders. If you don’t participate then you have no reason to gripe. You brought it on yourself!
Have your friends and relatives register- Politics is about people and votes. The more people you have the more influential your voice. If everyone who read this had at least ten people who supported Life Extension research funding we would be able to generate some positive political movement on this matter.
Letters to the Editor- This is an easy way to promote Life Extension. Newspaper or news blogs are always looking to fill up space in their publications. A well written message can reach many people who heretofore never thought of this issue.
Letters to Elected Officials- Find out where your Congressmen and Senators stand on Life Extension. If they are not aware of it, set up a meeting with them in order to discuss it. Remember—their job is to represent you. Make sure they are!!

PLEASE VOTE

Election day is right around the corner. It is essential that you turn out to support the candidate of your choice. At the end of this newsletter I will reveal my pick and I hope you will agree with me.
A new administration will soon be installed to lead this nation. There is a vast difference between the candidates when it comes to support for medical and scientific research. Our goal of Indefinite Life Extension will become more prominent in the next four years as new breakthroughs occur and progress is made in understanding how and why we age. There will be a tremendous need for government funding through N.I.H. and other mechanisms in order to expedite the quest to prolong life. If we have no political influence we will fail; hence I ask all of you to vote.
It is in your self interest!!

TEACHING POLITICAL SKILLS

If we are to succeed in building a movement for Life Extension it is evident that political involvement by millions of people will be necessary. There are many battles to be fought; and many of them will be political in nature. As we get closer to fully understanding how and why we age many will oppose us. There are profound social, economic, and religious concerns that, if left unanswered, will marginalize and ultimately stop this movement in its’ tracks. We must begin to create a viable bulwark against the coming opposition to our cause. What can be done?
I have asked myself that question time and again and have not arrived at a definitive conclusion. There are many wonderful, creative, intelligent and committed people who sincerely believe in Indefinite Life Extension but have no clue as to how to proceed. Too often we are a disparate group unsure of what to do and devoid of a game plan for success. There are no easy answers; only many questions. I am raising this question because I am concerned that unless a “Pro Extended Life” agenda comes into existence we will fail.
I mention this in order to begin a dialogue. We need to begin to visualize where this movement should be in five years. I pose this question as a means of soliciting your ideas on how we can make Indefinite Life Extension a powerful constituency that can achieve its’ goal.
I look forward to your responses.

EDITORIAL COMMENT

Previously, I mentioned that it is important to vote in the November election. After all, your future depends on it!
While neither Barak Obama nor John McCain has explicitly endorsed Indefinite Life Extension I wanted to present you their current views on Stem Cell Research. I believe their statements represent a clear contrast on an important issue that may be crucial in the battle to extend lives indefinitely. I put the statements side by side in order for you to easily compare and contrast them.

Barak Obama John McCain
“I strongly support expanding research on stem cells.” “I believe clear lines should be drawn that reflect a refusal to sacrifice moral values and ethical principles for the sake of scientific progress.”

“As President I will lift the current administration’s ban on federal funding of research on embryonic stem cell lines created after 8/9/01 through executive order.” “I believe that recent scientific breakthroughs raise the hope that one day this debate will be rendered academic.”

I think these statements speak for themselves! Senator Obama clearly is far more open and acceptable to pursuing medical and scientific advances that may extend lives and is unequivocal in his support.
Senator McCain on the other hand clearly implies that the status quo federal restrictions on Stem Cell research should remain in place, also, the choosing of a religious fundamentalist who has supported creationism in the past and has shown much intellectual ignorance about most issues cannot be considered a hopeful beacon for those who tirelessly pursue medical breakthroughs.
I sincerely hope that all who read this newsletter will support Barak Obama for President, and urge their family, friends and neighbors to do the same.

Your life may depend on it!!

Tom Mooney
Executive Director C.E.L.
www.CoalitiontoExtendLife.org
1717 K St. N.W. # 600
Washington D.C. 20036
202-445-4876

#2 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

I would think which candidate will be better for life extension should be a very important consideration for people with interest in ImmInst.

#3 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

I would think which candidate will be better for life extension should be a very important consideration for people with interest in ImmInst.

I would think the well-being of my country is greater than that of myself and my chance of immortality. Listen folks, there is research going on throughout the world with regards to life-extension. The U.S. of A is not the hope for us immortalists in our quest. It is a colaborative, world-wide effort. If this is or was your sole factor for voting for a candidate, may God help you.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Zenob

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

It would seem to be common sense as to which party would be better in this regard. I mean, our entire goal is science based. Why on earth would we willingly elect a party that is renowned for it's anti-science platform? Hell, most of the republican base thinks the earth is less then 10k years old and thinks that evolution is a hoax. More then a few of them probably think the earth is flat as well. I don't see too many scientific discoveries flowing from that bunch.

Edit:

Just thought I would add this, it drives the point home. This was taken out a Sarah Palin rally in Ashenville NC.

Attached Files

Edited by Zenob, 03 November 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#5 Iam Empathy

• 429 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:21 AM

The life extension lobby site in Washington, the Coalition to Extend Lifespans, put out a newsletter in email. I cant find a link to it on their site so I am posting it in whole right here. Tom indicates in the newsletter that Obama is the best choice for a president that supports ideas surrounding the progression of life extension. I also posted this in another topic in the politics and law section but for some reason it didnt bump in the active topics list so Im posting it again here. I think its important that we follow Toms advice and vote for Obama.

Caliban has posted a poll that is in the pinned topics in the politics and law forum here at imminst. Please go there and indicate who you will vote for. It is at the following link:

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=25165

A Bush III / Palin administration would be bad for America, bad for science, and bad for the Immortality Institute.

#6 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:26 AM

A Bush III / Palin administration would be bad for America

Why? The United States was doing extremely well economically until the Democrats took over Congress. So, all in all, the Bush Administration has been great for America. Besides the war, what else? Time for google huh :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users