• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

More lifestyle Subforums :)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: More subforums (13 member(s) have cast votes)

More subforums

1. I want a cardiovascular health subforum! (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. I want a brain health subforum! (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

3. I want both of them! (7 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

4. I think this is a bad idea! (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:59 PM

I think it would be a good idea to create a "cardiovascular health" forum, after all this is the most common cause of death and a lot of the heart problems occcuring before 85 or so is strongly lifestyle-related. Here all problems in the cardiovascular system could be discussed both lifestyle tips and science etc..

I think this is something relevant to do, If you disagree/agree please comment this thread and vote in the poll.

Also some ideas that occured, why not create a more general "brain health" forum collecting things discussed in the nootropics forum etc?..

/Victor Bjoerk

Edited by VictorBjoerk, 16 November 2008 - 12:05 AM.

#2 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

Any opinions?

#3 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:48 AM

good idea. i voted for both of them, slightly favoring the "brain" one over cardiovascular

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

Cardiovascular:

What do you propose that doesn't fit into Supplements, Nutrition, Exercise, Pharmacology, Bioscience, or general Lifestyle?

The same could essentially be asked of a Brain forum with the addition of Nootropics.

#5 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

The skin health is also a separate forum although the things that are discussed there could be discussed in the other subforums as well.

Everything from food, supplements, ultrasound scanning related to prevent atherosclerosis etc could be discussed there.

In developed countries cardiovascular disease are responsible for more than 40% of all deaths so this is a important health issue...

#6 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

Maybe the brain forum is not such a bad idea.

Personally, I'm not to comfortable with some of the postings in the nootropics forum. The point is that nootropics narrows the subject down to, well, nootropics. Some nootropics have good research behind them, but a lot just don't. And the suggestion to be able to enhance your cognitive abilities with just a pill is questionable on it's own. The same accounts for the supplements forum .... But nootropics are a class on its own if certain forms of abuse and side-effects are taken into consideration and can be used pro as well as con to the existence of this forum of course.

I also agree with Shepard that a change of scope or additional subjects would also reduce the relative balance in forum subjects we have right now.

So, a brain lifestyle sub forum would be a good idea IMO to counterbalance the narrowness of the nootropics supplement sub forum and to aid to the notion that pills are not an exclusive solution.

#7 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:42 PM

The votes have disappeared, isn't keeping your brain in shape the most important thing of all? I mean if your brain is destroyed/not working probably you are not yourself. I hope some more people vote for a brain health forum as well as cardiovascular forum...

#8 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:41 AM

The votes have disappeared, ...

I can still see them... :)

#9 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:45 AM

Heart Health
Brain Health

and....

CANCER

Edited by Forever21, 20 November 2008 - 08:45 AM.

#10 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

Recorders Minute:

someone 'bumped' this poll, but its not clear if the question is still current.

These are the guidelines for new forums:

II. Suggestions about new forum sections
Please remember that while it is rather easy to suggest new forum sections, it is far less easy to navigate a forum with dozens of empty and forgotten sub-sections.

If you'd like to see a new forum section, please show:

1) Why it makes sense to introduce a new section (Can the topic be addressed under an existing heading?)

AND

2a) That there are already plenty of topics (more than 20) which would fit better into the new section
OR
2b) That you have a lot of great material, which you would like to contribute in the new section, and you pledge to keep the new section alive.

If anyone wants to make a case for the suggestions above using these guidelines, please speak up, otherwise the item will be closed at the next meeting.

#11 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:16 PM

I voted for the brain health forum because it is the most important organ in a body and we might discuss the new clinical trials regarding brain pacemakers which are already used for severe depression, pain, Parkinson and another disease i can't recall now.

still most deaths in the civilized world occur because of heart diseases and cancers - and I'm not sure they can be prevented that easily - meaning with diet and exercise only

#12 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:54 PM

I vote for brain health because there has definitely been an offshoot in the wellness community of keeping your brain healthy as a singularly defined goal. I think in recent years brain health has taken the spot light in overall body health. There is also a lot of research attempting to "decode" the brain and would provide great discussion points. Just my two cents. :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users