• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Let's say you've got an 8 hour exam to sit through..

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Hippocrates

• 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:59 AM

Greetings all.

Let me cut to the chase. I've got an 8 hour exam to sit through. I get 60 minutes per block of questions (8 blocks total), and I get roughly 5-10 minutes break after each block. Around block 4 or 5, I get roughly a 40 minute lunch break. If you were in my shoes, what would you be taking that day?

Currently have the following to choose from:

Modanifil
Piracetam
CDP-Choline
Gingko Biloba
Centrophenoxine
L-Huperzine A
Rhodiola
Phenylethylamine
A-Carnitine
Omega 3 caps
Alpha Lipoic Acid
(obviously) Caffeine

Yes, I know what they all do, and yes I've been using them for some time now. However, I used them accordingly, and depending on what I needed to study. But for actual test day, what do you guys think the best plan of attack would be? I was planning on going with Gingko and Modanifil in the morning, and then around my lunch break drink some caffeine. And I'd be using L-Huperzine A the days leading up to the exam to enhance my short-term memory. Besides that.. I don't know what I should take in the middle of which block.. I was thinking of taking some phenylethylamine around the last few blocks just to keep my focus optimal. Any recommendations? It doesn't even have to be about things on this list. I've heard good things about pyritinol and Selegiline, but never tried them. Any suggestions? I really need optimal focus, energy, and ability to recall information as fast as I can during the whole exam period. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

#2 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:26 AM

i drank some coffee and ate a sub after 4 blocks.

I wouldn't do much different from whatever you were doing while you were preparing. I assume you've taken a couple practice exams?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Hippocrates

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:32 AM

Only one, and even in that I was drained as hell. Hard to imagine I gotta sit through twice that for the real deal. I've still got 3 weeks left, don't know if its worth experimenting with some selegiline or anything else at this point.

#4 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:04 AM

Only one, and even in that I was drained as hell. Hard to imagine I gotta sit through twice that for the real deal. I've still got 3 weeks left, don't know if its worth experimenting with some selegiline or anything else at this point.

Amphetamine

#5 Moonbeam

• 174 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:45 AM

Nothing beats lots of preparation and adrenaline. Good luck.

#6 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:03 AM

My secret sauce for such endeavors is usually a bottle of water and a good high-energy lunch. Oh yeah, and a nice soak in the hot tub afterward. Don't try to take a major test like that then go do homework afterwards - it doesn't work.

#7 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

Whatever education you're doing... 8 hour exams?! this kind of stress is pretty life shortening
Take DHEA and monitor DHEA-S and cortisol levels, try getting the latter down :)

#8 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

Nicotine patch

#9 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

its called the USMLE. We nickname it the Smelly Exam... 8 hours, probably the most important eight hours of your life..... ud wanna be in top shape. im taking the exam end of the year.

#10 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:30 PM

its called the USMLE. We nickname it the Smelly Exam... 8 hours, probably the most important eight hours of your life..... ud wanna be in top shape. im taking the exam end of the year.

the MCAT used to be just as long, 8 hrs until the computerized version adoption, arguably as important, if not more so

i'd supplement on any exam 90 minutes or longer, usually with caffeine.

#11 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:44 PM

every major exam you take is the most important exam in your life. First SAT, then MCAT (or GRE, LSAT, etc.), then USMLE step 1, step 2, step 3.... Each one is important for moving forward to the next stage.

#12 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

Do a 1 hour workout just before the exam in the morning and a 20 minutes workout at lunch time. Lift some weight to pump your energy.

#13 nancy_axel

• 175 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:27 AM

every major exam you take is the most important exam in your life. First SAT, then MCAT (or GRE, LSAT, etc.), then USMLE step 1, step 2, step 3.... Each one is important for moving forward to the next stage.

nah .. there's SAT"s, MCAT, and then Step 1 . Step 2 and 3 are not all that imp for the record ..

#14 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:16 AM

The key to good exam success is don't change ANYTHING. Whatever is working for you in terms of supplementation try to keep the it same. Messing with neurochemistry the eve of and the day of an exam is not a good idea. Been there done that, bad idea. Chances are no matter what you take you will do about the same assuming you prepared well, just so long as you don't take some crazy combo and shut yourself down.

#15 Wedrifid

• 173 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:35 AM

Modafinil for sure.

Don't worry about selegiline for the actual exam. That's something to have been on through the prep period and maintain for the exam.

Piracetam/Centro... have you been using these for a while? If so, keep them up. I wouldn't bother with them unless I'd been using them for at least a week or two before the exam.

Watch out for caffeine. 8 hours is a long time. The half life of caffeine is 3 hours. Basically, if you're a caffeine user, take your hit. Otherwise, take a little to give a slight boost. Ideally, take the caffeine half way through the exam.

In the mean time, keep up the exercise, omega 3 and diet. That foundation will make the real difference.

#16 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:09 AM

The key to good exam success is don't change ANYTHING. Whatever is working for you in terms of supplementation try to keep the it same. Messing with neurochemistry the eve of and the day of an exam is not a good idea. Been there done that, bad idea. Chances are no matter what you take you will do about the same assuming you prepared well, just so long as you don't take some crazy combo and shut yourself down.

I can wholeheartedly second this. I chewed some nicotine gum during an exam to keep me focused. The problem was that it was the first time I had had a taste of nicotine for almost 3 months. Left me anxious and second guessing.

#17 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

Presumably there is time for determing the effects of things during the cram period.

I highly recommend a nicotine patch. Steady state delivery of nicotine produces different prefrontal effects than does gum, or tobacco.

#18 Hippocrates

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the insight guys, normally I'd agree that it'd most likely be worse off to change something this late in the game. However.. I do have about 2 1/2 weeks left, and studying environments don't replace the feeling of actually sitting down to take the test. I'm pretty much done studying, and now in the phase to practice simulation exams, just to get accustomed to answering questions as fast as possible; with optimal recall. I know what works for me in terms of studying.. but I've never really mix and matched my supplements to help me take an exam like this to the best of my abilities. Besides the Modanifil early on, and caffeine towards the latter end of the blocks, I'm just sort of confused on if I should anything that will help me on the spot rather than things that would help with chronic use (ie piracetam etc etc).

At this point, I sort of have to adapt to a new enviroment anyways, because besides the continuous practice tests, my girlfriend just sort of moved out for a month to go take care of some family issues. So for the next 2 1/2 weeks, I'm going to be completely isolated in my room trying to cram whatever else I can in, and doing questions. However, I'm not going to mess with amphetamines, but what about this nicotine patch? It's funny, a friend of mine just mentioned this to me a couple days back, but I kinda just shrugged it off.. How exactly would you go about using it.. beginning of the test or slap it on during the middle? And how are it's effects exactly? More motor to keep you going, or actually some sort of mental/clear minded focus?

P.S. I think the importance of each standardized examination (SAT, MCAT, Step1) varies with each person. It all depends on individual goals really.. is your goal is to get an awesome education with a top school, w/o much focus on the higher tier specialities? then without a solid MCAT performance, its highly unlikely you'll land someplace you had your sightis on. But it doesn't keep you from being a doctor or even learning to your potential.. as you could just go to an average medical school or even the Caribbean route and still have a lot of options open for you if you rock your board exams. Whereas, if your goal was to become a dermatologist or get into plastics.. then in that instance Step 1 could possibly and would most likely take the cake for biggest determinant of the rest of your medical career. But ofcourse, no one test is that important that there aren't other ways to achieve your goals. And gotta agree with Nancy.. step 2 and 3 just aren't on the same level as MCAT or Step1.

Edited by Hippocrates, 01 December 2008 - 12:49 PM.

#19 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for the insight guys, normally I'd agree that it'd most likely be worse off to change something this late in the game. However.. I do have about 2 1/2 weeks left, and studying environments don't replace the feeling of actually sitting down to take the test. I'm pretty much done studying, and now in the phase to practice simulation exams, just to get accustomed to answering questions as fast as possible; with optimal recall. I know what works for me in terms of studying.. but I've never really mix and matched my supplements to help me take an exam like this to the best of my abilities. Besides the Modanifil early on, and caffeine towards the latter end of the blocks, I'm just sort of confused on if I should anything that will help me on the spot rather than things that would help with chronic use (ie piracetam etc etc).

At this point, I sort of have to adapt to a new enviroment anyways, because besides the continuous practice tests, my girlfriend just sort of moved out for a month to go take care of some family issues. So for the next 2 1/2 weeks, I'm going to be completely isolated in my room trying to cram whatever else I can in, and doing questions. However, I'm not going to mess with amphetamines, but what about this nicotine patch? It's funny, a friend of mine just mentioned this to me a couple days back, but I kinda just shrugged it off.. How exactly would you go about using it.. beginning of the test or slap it on during the middle? And how are it's effects exactly? More motor to keep you going, or actually some sort of mental/clear minded focus?

P.S. I think the importance of each standardized examination (SAT, MCAT, Step1) varies with each person. It all depends on individual goals really.. is your goal is to get an awesome education with a top school, w/o much focus on the higher tier specialities? then without a solid MCAT performance, its highly unlikely you'll land someplace you had your sightis on. But it doesn't keep you from being a doctor or even learning to your potential.. as you could just go to an average medical school or even the Caribbean route and still have a lot of options open for you if you rock your board exams. Whereas, if your goal was to become a dermatologist or get into plastics.. then in that instance Step 1 could possibly and would most likely take the cake for biggest determinant of the rest of your medical career. But ofcourse, no one test is that important that there aren't other ways to achieve your goals. And gotta agree with Nancy.. step 2 and 3 just aren't on the same level as MCAT or Step1.

about the nicotine delivery mentioned in your 2nd para:

so i guess you've never smoked? me neither, but i've friends who do and my dad never really quit it over the 2-3 decades, so i believe it's highly addictive, not sure how addictive the patches are. The only stimulants i experienced are caffiene , adrafinil/modafinil ( a bit, short term exp), and the natural adrenaline rush (works in most cases), and none of them are addictive to me. i wouldn't want dependency problems , but you're becoming a doctor and you know how to ease off the doses or strong enough to quit cold turkey. btw, do they sell nicotine patch in common stores? if it provides that much benefit , w/o ANY of cigarette's 4,000 bad chemicals mixed in, then i'd be willing to cut a small corner and .. .

Edited by HYP86, 01 December 2008 - 02:13 PM.

#20 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

step 2 and 3 are a walk in the park compared to the 1st... for a non-american like me, to get a placement in surgery in the states,,, step 2 and 3 dont mean jack... id have to get 95 centile in step 1. i relieve myself by thinking the exam is a year away,,, but its gunna come sooner or later. a mate of mine got 99th centile, and she is going to do her scheme in the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.... she took no nootropics for her exam :)

#21 Wedrifid

• 173 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:41 AM

Wow, you're ahead of the game. Sounds like the test is in the bag already!

Piracetam will help you in the moment. Sometimes it takes a while to build up in your system but once it is in there, it gives you a boost to creativity, verbal fluency and anxiety reduction in the moment. It sounds like something you would want to take. It is safe and reliably effective. Also, unlike caffeine and amphetamine, it isn't a trade off. The stimulants give you a focus boost, sometimes at the expense of broader more abstract thinking. Get into it!

A bit of a stimulant effect. In larger doses it can also reduce stress. One thing it is particularly good for is enabling you to resist impulses. I've used it in the past for this purpose, and it has some impressive results treating ADHD. However, keep in mind that you already have this handled. You've already studied and clearly have good habits built up.

Side effects: Addictive as fuck (works on the reward systems in multiple ways). Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. It makes you old. Blood flow will be reduced to your skin, reducing elasticity and regeneration. Blood flow will be reduced to your brain, over time reducing brain volume. Of course, this is the same shit that caffeine does. Once off doesn't hurt.

If you do take a nic patch on the day, I'd suggest a quarter of a 24mg patch, just put it on in the morning and go with it. Probably better than the coffee, if you're game. It'll calm you down instead of making you anxious, handy in the circumstances! However, careful if you are having it as well as caffeine and modafinil. There's a sweet spot in there for stimulant benefits!

That should give you both sides, let us know what you decide!

mmm.... I love exams. Those were the days.

#22 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:01 PM

Side effects: Addictive as fuck (works on the reward systems in multiple ways). Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. It makes you old. Blood flow will be reduced to your skin, reducing elasticity and regeneration. Blood flow will be reduced to your brain, over time reducing brain volume. Of course, this is the same shit that caffeine does. Once off doesn't hurt.

If you do take a nic patch on the day, I'd suggest a quarter of a 24mg patch, just put it on in the morning and go with it. Probably better than the coffee, if you're game. It'll calm you down instead of making you anxious, handy in the circumstances! However, careful if you are having it as well as caffeine and modafinil. There's a sweet spot in there for stimulant benefits!

I have to say that the addictive properties of nicotine are definitely influence by the delivery mechanism. Rapid rises as with smoking, chewing, snuff and gum are much more addictive than steady delivery through a patch.

#23 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:02 PM

Red Bull would be my solution for exams.

#24 jamfropsi

• 40 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:06 AM

so the patches are still good to go even after being cut? how do you store the non used portion? also, does the application site matter much?

#25 Wedrifid

• 173 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:02 AM

so the patches are still good to go even after being cut? how do you store the non used portion? also, does the application site matter much?

Yes. I put it back in the container. I am not sure how long they last in a less sealed environment. I haven't noticed any problems, but I have also never been addicted to the stuff.

Application site matters in as much as you care where you get the funny red mark. :) The body, thighs or upper arms are good options. Relatively undamaged skin, well circulated and unobtrusive.

#26 jamfropsi

• 40 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:47 AM

Yes. I put it back in the container. I am not sure how long they last in a less sealed environment. I haven't noticed any problems, but I have also never been addicted to the stuff.

Application site matters in as much as you care where you get the funny red mark. :) The body, thighs or upper arms are good options. Relatively undamaged skin, well circulated and unobtrusive.

wow, thanks so much for replying back so soon. I think i'll try putting them on my thighs next time. The other day i put one on my upper arms and it somehow migrated to my back by the end of the day...

#27 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:01 AM

I'm preparing for the USMLE Step 1 myself but I plan on taking it in February sometime. While studying, I've been experimenting with different Noot. but I found Adderall works best hands down. For the kind of concentration and focus you'll need for those 8 hours, Adderall works best for me.

You already have an impressive list. For the last few months, I've have also been using Bacopa, Wild blueberry extract, gotu kola and fish oil all to improve sharpness and recall as well as short/long term memory. I can say with certainty that it is working. For you, even at 2 1/2 weeks, I'm sure you can load up on Bacopa and blueberry to get some effect by the test date.

I'm all anti-meds for the most part but my sister was studying for the LSAT at the same time and she was using Adderall. I tried one pill and I was sold sold!

NAD by NOW also gives me an unexpected focus and concentration.

Anyways, good luck! I hope you practiced 'nough questions.

#28 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:45 PM

I'm preparing for the USMLE Step 1 myself but I plan on taking it in February sometime. While studying, I've been experimenting with different Noot. but I found Adderall works best hands down. For the kind of concentration and focus you'll need for those 8 hours, Adderall works best for me.

You already have an impressive list. For the last few months, I've have also been using Bacopa, Wild blueberry extract, gotu kola and fish oil all to improve sharpness and recall as well as short/long term memory. I can say with certainty that it is working. For you, even at 2 1/2 weeks, I'm sure you can load up on Bacopa and blueberry to get some effect by the test date.

I'm all anti-meds for the most part but my sister was studying for the LSAT at the same time and she was using Adderall. I tried one pill and I was sold sold!

NAD by NOW also gives me an unexpected focus and concentration.

Anyways, good luck! I hope you practiced 'nough questions.

I get that from NAD+ from NOW as well. I got bashed in a thread about niacinamide/nicotinamide in the supplements section, for suggesting it. A poster stated it just gets broken down in to niacin and made it seem like it'd have no unique action unto itself. I don't get this from niacin or niacinamide. I do like xanthinol nicotinate. I take 2 NAD+ sublinguals and 2 Brain B-12 (5000mcg methylcobalamin) sublinguals by NOW and I feel great. Any thoughts?

#29 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:18 AM

I get that from NAD+ from NOW as well. I got bashed in a thread about niacinamide/nicotinamide in the supplements section, for suggesting it. A poster stated it just gets broken down in to niacin and made it seem like it'd have no unique action unto itself. I don't get this from niacin or niacinamide. I do like xanthinol nicotinate. I take 2 NAD+ sublinguals and 2 Brain B-12 (5000mcg methylcobalamin) sublinguals by NOW and I feel great. Any thoughts?

I also use the NAD with methyl B-12 and feel good. I think in the niacinamide thread, they are looking at niacin/NAD from a life -extension point of view. We don't seem to know what happens to NAD when it gets into the blood and whether it gets converted to NADH, decreasing the NAD/NADH ratio. That aside, it makes me feel awsome. I also feel like all my muscles have morel tone. I'm curious to try sublingual NADH to see if I get the same effect as NAD. Maybe that'll be a subjective way to say that NAD DOES get converted to NADH. Anyways, I have no idea beyond this. There's very little info about this supplement and the interest in it died with the gap in knowledge. I'll keep using it in the meanwhile.

Heck, my brother is into theather. I gave him two NAD before an audition, he said it was the best he'd ever had. That's one amazing little pill I tell ya. I also wrote a thread wonder if NAD can be used in place of niacin to increase stomach acid but no one seems to know....yet.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:14 AM

I also use the NAD with methyl B-12 and feel good. I think in the niacinamide thread, they are looking at niacin/NAD from a life -extension point of view. We don't seem to know what happens to NAD when it gets into the blood and whether it gets converted to NADH, decreasing the NAD/NADH ratio. That aside, it makes me feel awsome. I also feel like all my muscles have morel tone. I'm curious to try sublingual NADH to see if I get the same effect as NAD. Maybe that'll be a subjective way to say that NAD DOES get converted to NADH. Anyways, I have no idea beyond this. There's very little info about this supplement and the interest in it died with the gap in knowledge. I'll keep using it in the meanwhile.

Heck, my brother is into theather. I gave him two NAD before an audition, he said it was the best he'd ever had. That's one amazing little pill I tell ya. I also wrote a thread wonder if NAD can be used in place of niacin to increase stomach acid but no one seems to know....yet.

I have experimented with NADH at up to 30 mg:

http://www.enadh.com/

Nothing amazing. Maybe something, but very hard to detect.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users