Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol worsens hyperhomocystemia

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 gattaca

• 59 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

I'm not sure whether they've formally adopted it yet, but high homocysteine is considered by many to be an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Note that the study had them on a high methionine diet.

Food Chem Toxicol. 2008 Nov 7.java script:PopUpMenu2_Set(Menu19028542);
Resveratrol supplementation worsen the dysregulation of genes involved in hepatic lipid homeostasis observed in hyperhomocysteinemic mice.
Noll C, Hamelet J, Ducros V, Belin N, Paul JL, Delabar JM, Janel N. Université Paris Diderot - Paris 7, Case 7104, 2 Place Jussieu, 75251 Paris Cedex 05, EA 3508, Paris, France.

Hyperhomocysteinemia is characterized by an increase of plasma homocysteine, a thiol-containing amino acid produced during methionine metabolism. Hyperhomocysteinemia has often been associated with coronary artery disease, vascular thrombosis and the development of premature atherosclerosis. We have recently demonstrated that the supplementation of catechin, a polyphenol found in the red wine, significantly reduced plasma homocysteine level in cystathionine beta synthase (CBS) deficient mice, a murine model of hyperhomocysteinemia. In the present study, we have investigated the influence of another well-studied polyphenol found in red wine, resveratrol, on hyperhomocysteinemia. After two months on high methionine diet, heterozygous Cbs deficient mice were administrated the resveratrol in drinking water (0.001%) for one month. High methionine diet significantly increased serum homocysteine levels, and decreased the serum activity of HDL-associated enzyme paraoxonase-1. Chronic administration of resveratrol significantly increased plasma homocysteine level, which was associated with a decreased serum paraoxonase-1 activity, in hyperhomocysteinemic mice. Then we looked at gene expression of several proteins involved in HDL stability and found a down-regulation of lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase. In conclusion, we found a deleterious effect of resveratrol onto homocysteine and HDL metabolism in a murine model of hyperhomocysteinemia.

PMID: 19028542 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Edited by gattaca, 30 November 2008 - 03:34 PM.

#2 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:32 PM

My homcysteine levels were up to 12.9, and now I am thinking it was the res. I still take res, and my levels are down to 9 after taking TMG and a B complex. I have added more TMG and B complex with the goal of getting it down to 7.

I posted a topic about a month ago about high homocysteine possibly having a dramatic correlation to shortened telomeres and included a reference to a study.

Well, the statement from the makers of TA-65 that resv will cancel out TA-65 benefits might make sense in light of all this.

I'm not sure whether they've formally adopted it yet, but high homocysteine is considered by many to be an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Note that the study had them on a high methionine diet.

Food Chem Toxicol. 2008 Nov 7.java script:PopUpMenu2_Set(Menu19028542);
Resveratrol supplementation worsen the dysregulation of genes involved in hepatic lipid homeostasis observed in hyperhomocysteinemic mice.
Noll C, Hamelet J, Ducros V, Belin N, Paul JL, Delabar JM, Janel N. Université Paris Diderot - Paris 7, Case 7104, 2 Place Jussieu, 75251 Paris Cedex 05, EA 3508, Paris, France.

Hyperhomocysteinemia is characterized by an increase of plasma homocysteine, a thiol-containing amino acid produced during methionine metabolism. Hyperhomocysteinemia has often been associated with coronary artery disease, vascular thrombosis and the development of premature atherosclerosis. We have recently demonstrated that the supplementation of catechin, a polyphenol found in the red wine, significantly reduced plasma homocysteine level in cystathionine beta synthase (CBS) deficient mice, a murine model of hyperhomocysteinemia. In the present study, we have investigated the influence of another well-studied polyphenol found in red wine, resveratrol, on hyperhomocysteinemia. After two months on high methionine diet, heterozygous Cbs deficient mice were administrated the resveratrol in drinking water (0.001%) for one month. High methionine diet significantly increased serum homocysteine levels, and decreased the serum activity of HDL-associated enzyme paraoxonase-1. Chronic administration of resveratrol significantly increased plasma homocysteine level, which was associated with a decreased serum paraoxonase-1 activity, in hyperhomocysteinemic mice. Then we looked at gene expression of several proteins involved in HDL stability and found a down-regulation of lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase. In conclusion, we found a deleterious effect of resveratrol onto homocysteine and HDL metabolism in a murine model of hyperhomocysteinemia.

PMID: 19028542 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gattaca

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:54 PM

I have difficulty squaring these findings with the cardiovascular benefits resveratrol has shown in various rat studies I have seen.

#4 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

I didn't read the posted study. Didn't read all of this thread.

Its about balance. Copper is needed for methionine synthase. If you're low in copper than it may effect your HCY levels.
  • like x 1

#5 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:50 PM

I have difficulty squaring these findings with the cardiovascular benefits resveratrol has shown in various rat studies I have seen.

The mice in the study were cystathionine beta synthase (CBS) deficient The study may have nothing to do with the response of normal (genetic-disease free) mice and even less to do with the effect in humans.

#6 gattaca

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:39 AM

While it is true that murine models may not flawlessly translate to humans, CBS deficiency and/or mutations are the most common cause of human hyperhomocystemia, by my memory, which, admittedly, is not the best any more.

Edited by gattaca, 01 December 2008 - 03:40 AM.

#7 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:19 AM

While it is true that murine models may not flawlessly translate to humans, CBS deficiency and/or mutations are the most common cause of human hyperhomocystemia, by my memory, which, admittedly, is not the best any more.

Its my impression (I may be wrong) that the CBS mutation isn't that common. This mutation means the person has to watch their sulfur intake. According to Amy Yasko all of the commonly recognized mutations relate to the methylation pathway. Faulty methylation is the basic cause of high HCy levels, I think. Of course some mutations may have more impact than others but they seem to be connected, for the most part, to methylation.

I think the CBS mutation is what causes flapping issues in autisic children.

#8 squ1d

• 18 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

This study had 4 control rats, 4 on mediterranean diet, 3 rats on resveratrol and mediterranean diet, 3 rats on resveratrol only. This sample is way too small to make any inferences.

Edited by squ1d, 01 December 2008 - 07:15 PM.

#9 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:33 AM

Could be related to the effect on folic acid uptake that was found by a paper Longevinex cited.

Yet the obvious search finds a paper claiming just the opposite: "resveratrol suppresses homocysteine formation".

My own anecdotal experience in the past year or so: I've been on 2 to 6 mg/kg /day of resveratrol. My homocysteine was somewhat high (13.2) considering that I eat my spinach and take B supplements. I started taking mega supplements of folic acid, reduced my resveratrol dosage, and started taking the two several hours apart. My homocysteine decreased to 12.1, then 11.7, then 10.3, but I don't know which of those three changes was responsible -- my guess is the separation, since the last measurement was after I reduced my dosage of folic acid to under 1000 mg.

#10 Crepulance

• 269 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:48 AM

Guys could you please laymanize this for us? Is it saying Res makes mice fat?

Crep

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:29 AM

Guys could you please laymanize this for us? Is it saying Res makes mice fat?

Crep

Resveratrol lowers homocystein in mice, unless they have a particular genetic defect. No, it does not say resveratrol makes mice fat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users