- - - - -

Magnesium w/ Calcium @ night

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:48 AM

I take Magnesium at night to aid w/ my sleep. I see a lot of Magnesium w/ Calcium supplements for sleep. But it is my understanding that calcium competes w/ magnesium, and nullifies its effects. What's the deal?

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:17 AM

i find calcium/magnesium combined helps me sleep better than magnesium alone.

the competition is minimal, especially with higher level (albion, biotron) chelates...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

the competition is minimal, especially with higher level (albion, biotron) chelates...

I remember during the whole zma fad that people were often instructed not to take calcium 2 hours before the zma as to not compete w/ the magnesium.

Do you have any studies showing that the competition is minimal and what forms are the best?

Anyone else have any input?

#4 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

I remember during the whole zma fad that people were often instructed not to take calcium 2 hours before the zma as to not compete w/ the magnesium.

Do you have any studies showing that the competition is minimal and what forms are the best?

they also said ZMA would increase testosterone. never take nutritional advice from sports supplement companies or body builders.

albion chelates are the best imo... they have the most human research backing them, and they have a neutral charge which relieves most of the mineral antagonism. to the best of my knowledge severe antagonism is only an issue with inorganic mineral salts not mineral chelates. i would email/call albion directly if you have any questions about the specifics of mineral antagonisms

http://www.albionmin...m/index.php/faq

my second choice to albion chelates are biotron chelates:
http://www.biotronla...m/products.html

Attached Files

Edited by ajnast4r, 01 December 2008 - 08:55 PM.

#5 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:39 AM

they also said ZMA would increase testosterone. never take nutritional advice from sports supplement companies or body builders.

albion chelates are the best imo... they have the most human research backing them, and they have a neutral charge which relieves most of the mineral antagonism. to the best of my knowledge severe antagonism is only an issue with inorganic mineral salts not mineral chelates. i would email/call albion directly if you have any questions about the specifics of mineral antagonisms

http://www.albionmin...m/index.php/faq

my second choice to albion chelates are biotron chelates:
http://www.biotronla...m/products.html

Thanks for the info. I'll try a bottle of mag/calcium when my bluebonnet mag chel. runs out.

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll try a bottle of mag/calcium when my bluebonnet mag chel. runs out.

if you like bluebonnet, their cal/mag is albion chelates i believe

#7 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

I already supp Vit D, but I take it in the afternoon. Would it be wise to take it at night with my Calcium/mag?

#8 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:20 AM

Bump for the last question.

#9 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:40 AM

I already supp Vit D, but I take it in the afternoon. Would it be wise to take it at night with my Calcium/mag?

Vitamin D is the sunlight vitamin. It's probably best to take it in the morning/afternoon.

#10 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:06 PM

That's what I thought too, but apparently it makes no difference because of the long half-life.

Vitamin D is the sunlight vitamin. It's probably best to take it in the morning/afternoon.

Edited by kismet, 15 December 2008 - 01:06 PM.

#11 aaron_e

• 117 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:37 AM

I take Magnesium at night to aid w/ my sleep. I see a lot of Magnesium w/ Calcium supplements for sleep. But it is my understanding that calcium competes w/ magnesium, and nullifies its effects. What's the deal?

i've experimented with high dose magnesium with minimal calcium intake, and i've found that achieving deep sleep is alot more difficult. in my opinion, your pineal gland needs some calcium to function properly.

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:51 AM

It doesn't matter what time of day you take it, but you'll have better luck absorbing it if you take it with fats. I used to take my D in the morning for no reason in particular, but now take it with dinner since that tends to be my highest fat meal. I take my other fat soluble stuff (MK-7, fish oil) at the same time.

I take about half my magnesium and calcium at night.

#13 Zoroaster

• 349 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

http://www.jci.org/a...les/view/108410

I had a surprisingly difficult time finding studies looking at mg/ca absorption in humans. This paper does mention that Vitamin D may be important for boosting mag absorption so it might not be a bad idea to take it at night. I think a lot of the argument for ca inhibiting mg absorption is theoretical based on the fact that their active sites are structurally identical. But of course the body doesn't always run things the way one would expect. Incidentally, I seem to feel a much stronger effect from magnesium when I take it without calcium and on an empty stomach. So ... whatever that means.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:38 PM

It doesn't matter what time of day you take it, but you'll have better luck absorbing it if you take it with fats. I used to take my D in the morning for no reason in particular, but now take it with dinner since that tends to be my highest fat meal. I take my other fat soluble stuff (MK-7, fish oil) at the same time.

I take about half my magnesium and calcium at night.

yes, i take my D3 and K2 along with my fish oil supplemints. This is the best i think.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users