• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Vote for your Favorite Venturist Fundraiser Idea

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote for your favorite (15 member(s) have cast votes)

I would buy the medallion pictured below, for 25 dollars to use as a collectors item, or as jewelry.

1. Yes (14 votes [93.33%])

Percentage of vote: 93.33%

2. No (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

What about purchasing collector's medallions that each have the image of a different famous or pioneer cryonicist on each of them and that include a gift box, interview and short historical piece about the cryonicist all for 35 dollars?

1. I am interested (8 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

2. I am not Interested (7 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

I would be most likely to purchase the below imaged medalilon as (and you can choose as many as you'd like):

1. A keychain (7 votes [13.21%])

Percentage of vote: 13.21%

2. A belt buckle (5 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

3. A necklace (8 votes [15.09%])

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

4. A lapel pin (5 votes [9.43%])

5. A straight "coin" (non-converted medallion) (7 votes [13.21%])

6. At an extra price to be coated in gold (5 votes [9.43%])

7. A silver colored medallion (pewter) (7 votes [13.21%])

8. A money clasp (5 votes [9.43%])

9. As a bracelet (4 votes [7.55%])

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

Would you prefer a generic cryonics medallion such as the one shown below, or collector's medallions with famous cryonicist's images such as Robert Ettinger?

1. I prefer the generic medallion I can give as gifts to friends and family (8 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

2. I prefer the idea of having a collector's series (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. I'd actually purchase both (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:02 AM

On one side of the 40mm pewter medallion you will notice the Venturist logo which beautifully symbolizes our hope for eternal life brought through mankind's use of cold. On the other side of the medallion is the image of Lady Liberty symbolizing our right to the freedom to choose cryonics and around her the message "Cryonics: A hope for the future"

The sale of this medallion or any collector's medallions will go to fund the Venturist Compassionate Care Funds and its cryonics advocacy. When you pay our suggested donation fee you can specify where you want your donation to go, to the Marce Johnson Fund ( http://www.quantium....arce/gifts1.htm ), to the William O'Rights Fund ( http://www.imminst.o...o...=23100&st=0 ), or the general Venturist fund (more about Venturist goals: http://www.quantium....urist/about.htm ).

Attached Files

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:53 AM

Im even more interested in a medallion with the imminst logo, Im very interested in that. Im even thinking about getting an imminst tattoo. I probably wont though because of the cancer possabilities. How are you all having these done for cryonics and how can it be done for imminst too? A longevity communities series would be awsome, imminst symbol, methuselah mouse, cel dragonfly, longevity memes... Reasons face I guess, Aubreys face, the 300 symbol, the methuselah clock symbol, c.a.r. symbol, etc... I would pay 25 bucks for those for sure. A series could be made for special donations like, an imminst symbol pewter with special inscription for $1,000 donation, silver for $5,000 donation and gold for $10,000 donation or something like that.

#3 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

A straight coin with an optional gold plated version could be adapted to all the other forms simply at the cost of the extra device. However that should not discourage this approach. Also IMHO the list should include the visages of many great scientists not just cryonists exclusively.

Beside the *coin* size there might be a larger version that is more like the medallion and classic paper weight but fits in a plastic display case or is kept in a display box. Lastly the scientists and the collectors series is a combo that might be useful and attractive but it should be struck of pure silver to have a certified collectible value that is really attractive to collectors and not just our community.

#4 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

I didn't know that the ankh with a snow flake were a cryonics symbol? Neat!

I'd prefer a coin/medallion with a picture that relates more to cryonics (that is generic but can easily be distinguished as a cryonics symbol). A snowflake is nice, but the ankh makes it look too religious for me.

#5 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

Mike Perry is volunteering his metalworking skills to make these for the Venturists, he is quite talented. We can order the medallions, but he'll have to hand finish them. This is a fundraiser for the cryonics community primarily. I'm sure though that Mike Perry would gladly make one with the ImmInst symbol (or any other) if someone was going to pay 1000 ot 10,000 for it, and a portion of say two hundred or a thousand goes to the Venturists for the compassionate care fund :). If you know anyone that would like one made, please contact me and I can help set it up.

Hmmm, I'd not thought of the ankh as religious since it is so ancient--not really in use, and known as a symbol of immortality, but Kostas feel free to link to or describe what you are thinking of as a cryonics symbol. I still love this one, all the girls I've showed it to (my daughter and my mother) said they want it as a necklace--my super picky tween daugher says its "cool" and she'd wear it to school. I'm quite interested in how this poll goes, as it will direct our decisions on what to order and prepare for distribution. So far it looks like we should go with our Cryonics Hall of Fame idea, I agree that all great scientists would be nice--but since this is run by the Venturists we'll be picking those who made some contribution to Cryonics. Pioneer cryonicists, famous cryonicists, and possible even someone like Ben Franklin could be included, with the quote from one of his letters to a friend:

"I wish it were possible, from this instance, to invent a method of embalming drowned persons, in such a manner that they might be recalled to life at any period, however distant; for having very ardent desire to see and observe the state of America a hundred years hence, I should prefer to an ordinary death, being immersed with a few friends in a cask of Madeira, until that time, then to be recalled to life by the solar warmth of my dear country."

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1773, in London, after observing the resuscitation (by the warmth of the sun) of two flies which had been found in a bottle of Madeira wine sent from the United States.

All the venturist members will be able to vote on who they'd like included in the collector's series :-).

Yes, we can include a larger version that can be used as a paperweight, we can certainly offer some in pure silver, there would just be the added cost for the supplies of course.

#6 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot that it's also a symbol of immortality! Then yeah it's a good design :)

$10,000 for an imminst medallion? Or is it 10,000 coins for $1000?

Just asking since there are a lot of cheap custom coin makers out there: http://www.osbornecoin.com/customcoin_naturalaluminum.htm

I think imminst should create several thousand medallians or coins and sell them as part of an imminst online gift soft (money then goes to donations).

Btw, didn't imminst used to have in the past an online shop with imminst t-shirts and hats? I can't remember, but before I joined I think there used to be one? Would be a great idea to have one if not!

#7 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:16 AM

I know lifeboat has a cafe press, and cryonics institute (also go.cryo) I've not heard of Immortality Institute having one, that could be fun indeed, with the many items one can make there from clocks, to magnets, shirts, pens--just about anything (not sure if they do medallions).

But, the response I made was to Brokenportal, saying if a wealthy benefactor wanted a custom coin (the Venturists will be ordering the medallions from an on-line site, but they will be finished by hand by Mike Perry) and to have it finished by hand, that Mike would do it for 500, 1000, or 10,000 with a small donation to the Venturists. He is a gifted artist and does an excellent job with the finishing. So far the results of the poll are interesting, thanks everyone for voting :)

#8 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

I know lifeboat has a cafe press, and cryonics institute (also go.cryo) I've not heard of Immortality Institute having one, that could be fun indeed, with the many items one can make there from clocks, to magnets, shirts, pens--just about anything (not sure if they do medallions).

But, the response I made was to Brokenportal, saying if a wealthy benefactor wanted a custom coin (the Venturists will be ordering the medallions from an on-line site, but they will be finished by hand by Mike Perry) and to have it finished by hand, that Mike would do it for 500, 1000, or 10,000 with a small donation to the Venturists. He is a gifted artist and does an excellent job with the finishing. So far the results of the poll are interesting, thanks everyone for voting :)

Imminst does have an account with Cafepress. I liked the coffee mug (hint) :|?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users