A formula for starting projects

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:16 AM

A formula for starting projects:

1. Add ideas to this google doc of life extension exposure expedition ideas.
2. When you have the time and desire to focus in more on one of the projects then form a small team to help you. You can ask me or ask for help pretty much anywhere. A good place to ask for it is in the roundtable brainstorming meetings.
3. Transfer the project to the imminst wiki where it will be more official, and lock the project in the google doc.
4. Schedule a meeting time that works for your team and discuss it and get everybody in on a some tasks.
5. Link the wiki project back to a corresponding topic in the projects forum, and whatever other neccessary topics, to discuss it and hold impromptu meetings through out the week.
6. If you get stuck on anything then ask for help in the forums and or brainstorming meetings.
7. Finish the project and catalogue it.

Thats the basics. Can you think of a better way to tweak this list? Im also trying to think of the best way to introduce projects that a person wants to start. Since posting a topic requesting help with a project will quickly get buried in active topics, which most people use exclusively, that probably wont be a good idea. Im thinking maybe to make a topic requesting that people write their name next to projects in the google doc that they are interested in. Then once a person feels there is enough people for their team, (an average of 5 or so) then they can get it going. They can also actively recruit through pm.

Some of the projects that are collecting members right now are campaign bus team, fah recruit team (outline not developed yet), draft card gimmick with simple volunteers task team (line 23 merged with line 30) , Longevity Communities Network team (rough draft prototype), and "cpat" combating the pro aging trance team (lines 36, 37, 38, to be merged soon). If you are interested in joining any of those teams then please do let us know and we will get you further information.

Edited by brokenportal, 04 December 2008 - 05:28 AM.

#2 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:01 PM

bump

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

Of the various projects we're focusing in on right now, one is a list of simple volunteer tasks project, on line 30 of the google doc, as mentioned in this topic. I think its the most lucrative thing we can get done fairly easily. If anybody wants to help give ideas and develop it then let me know. Once it comes a long a little further we will post it in the forums as looking for team members to commit to its development. Other people not commited to the team can add ideas to the topics any time then also.

#4 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:39 AM

I am mostly interested in promoting and improving efficiency of our Folding Team, TLM. But I like and may try out some of your creative ideas like  "video comment memeing" and leaving comments at different youtube videos, which I've tried some time ago already.

Actually I am constantly advertising imminst on other boards, every educated post I make is somehow linked to healthy life extension, imminst, SENS, TLM etc. I've talked about imminst with board members of some of the biggest fitness communities all over the world, it's pretty funny. Very subtle but hopefully effective.

#5 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:03 AM

I am mostly interested in promoting and improving efficiency of our Folding Team, TLM. But I like and may try out some of your creative ideas like  "video comment memeing" and leaving comments at different youtube videos, which I've tried some time ago already.

Actually I am constantly advertising imminst on other boards, every educated post I make is somehow linked to healthy life extension, imminst, SENS, TLM etc. I've talked about imminst with board members of some of the biggest fitness communities all over the world, it's pretty funny. Very subtle but hopefully effective.

We're working on a way to catalogue who has what amount of time and what they want to involve themself with, the science, agi, exposure or philanthropy and then we will go through that info later to form teams for these projects. People who give their availabilty will only be tentatively giving their time, they can always recant later. Im not sure exactly how we are going to collect that info yet. It will probably be through a topic asking the question and then we will direct life extensionists to it one by one. We may ask them one by one and then put the info in an excel list, or we may think of some other way to do it. We are also working on a way to try to persuade people to make as much time as they possibly can bring themselves to make. Any ideas on all of that anybody?

In the mean time though, what times work well for you Kismet? If now you have maybe 1 hour a month, then state that time, and then if in like 4 months you would have 1 hour a day then state that too. We will put it all into a graph and use it to ask people in certain time frames if they can join certain teams.

Ill put you down for fah recruitment. Thats one of the projects we're hoping we can all get coordinated right away. Let me know about the "digg, twine, blog team" that sounds like something you would be interested in. That is outlined on line 39 of the google doc "leeep" and is actually the most popular project so far with about 4 interested people.

Oh, and these arent my project ideas. Ive collected them from around imminst and have been asking people to contribute to it one by one. I think I may have actually gotten that youtube commenting from a response I seen of yours around imminst someplace but Im not sure, may have been somebody else.

As for talking to people, if you have effective techniques for getting through to people, or need some more, then help build and or check out project number 36.

#6 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

We're working on a way to catalogue who has what amount of time and what they want to involve themself with, the science, agi, exposure or philanthropy and then we will go through that info later to form teams for these projects. People who give their availabilty will only be tentatively giving their time, they can always recant later. Im not sure exactly how we are going to collect that info yet. It will probably be through a topic asking the question and then we will direct life extensionists to it one by one. We may ask them one by one and then put the info in an excel list, or we may think of some other way to do it. We are also working on a way to try to persuade people to make as much time as they possibly can bring themselves to make. Any ideas on all of that anybody?
In the mean time though, what times work well for you Kismet? If now you have maybe 1 hour a month, then state that time, and then if in like 4 months you would have 1 hour a day then state that too. We will put it all into a graph and use it to ask people in certain time frames if they can join certain teams.

I think I can help out 30min/day for the next 2-3 weeks, but in the future I may get bored with it and focus on the more interesting stuff only (science).

Ill put you down for fah recruitment. Thats one of the projects we're hoping we can all get coordinated right away. Let me know about the "digg, twine, blog team" that sounds like something you would be interested in. That is outlined on line 39 of the google doc "leeep" and is actually the most popular project so far with about 4 interested people.

I don't see any "articles in the list here below" to digg, I think we need to add some. I don't know twine and I think I need permission to edit the google doc first. I will start with digging some http://fightaging.org/ articles.

#7 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

I think I can help out 30min/day for the next 2-3 weeks, but in the future I may get bored with it and focus on the more interesting stuff only (science).

I don't see any "articles in the list here below" to digg, I think we need to add some. I don't know twine and I think I need permission to edit the google doc first. I will start with digging some http://fightaging.org/ articles.

If later on you went more fully into working on the science then that would help too. I would implore people to try to focus in on the exposure though as it will help get more people to do the science. One scientist can do one persons worth of science, but every person that helps with the exposure is helping web out to attract indefinite more people to help with the science.

If nothing else, maybe finding a project and then making a 6 month commitment to it or something like that would work. I dont know, Im just throwing ideas out there. Of course even a weeks worth of help would be great, even an hours worth of help. That was the original purpose of the google doc, to allow anybody to add a line here and there whenever they wanted to. 1000 people adding 1 or 2 lines would conceivably help a lot. The list is evolving though more into a smaller group of people to help build it, maybe 30 - 50 and then focusing in more on getting individual projects going, because the individual projects come to think of it are all very potent in themselves. An indefinite list of projects probably isnt practical.

If you can help out for 30 minutes for only the next couple of weeks then maybe a good project to get you in on would be helping to collect everybody elses info and possibly set up a graph and or discuss that all. If you want to set a time to meet me and whoever is there in the chat room then let me know, other wise you can find me in there most times of the day.

As for not finding articles in the list, its still in the beginning of its development. Add links to life extension articles to dig, add links to le blogs to comment on, add the blogs to dig, add things to twine, anything you want. There are some more things that can probably be added too. If you can think of anything then add them, like, a listing of youtube links to comment on. Write your name as a team member under the project title too. Oh, about the editing, send me your email and Ill add you as an editor, but once a project picks up steam and people want to focus in on it then we move it to the imminst wiki. If you want to help do that today or sometime this week then let me know.

#8 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:22 AM

Comments? Thoughts? Im very interested in keeping this discussion moving if we can.

#9 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:17 AM

Even though there is hardly any discussion on this, Im moving ahead with it myself.

Where it is at now is that I have marked all the main projects in the google doc in blue, Ill then be indexing them and putting the index in the imminst wiki. I will then move the projects one by one as I clean them up, merge them properly and time permits.

I could use some feedback on the indexing. Im thinking about grouping them in three groups, easiest, medium and hard projects. Ill use some variation of those words to indicate it, maybe. Might just go alphabetical or something. I could also use some feed back on where to put the index in the wiki, since the wiki has been a bit random, Im thinking that a clean up and reorganization of the imminst wiki is in order, but I need ideas on that.

Once they are all in there Im going to launch an exposure campaign to draw people in to join teams in the imminst projects wiki. There is a lot of potential ideas surrounding that that needs to be discussed too.

#10 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

Even though there is hardly any discussion on this

i've answered to this thread; the thread is short/concise, which i personally read easily:
What is a project that you would like to see get going, or get going more

i've answered to this thread; the thread is short/concise, which i personally read easily:

#11 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:11 AM

Thanks, I know your project has been around but I forgot to add it to the project list. Ill add it tonight or tomorrow and help you develop it and keep it going by gaining exposure and central development point for ideas. The projects for anybody interested are at LEEEP.

The list is moving along, its getting set to move to the imminst wiki and go official, at which point we'll be doing a lot of recruiting and working to get a lot of exposure for it, but in the mean time we need more discussion about all of life extension in general to get people worked up and going about these ideas. Help get things worked up and going more by joing the 72 team project today, we need you today, please dont put it off till tomorrow. We've been waiting for more action to occur "tomorrow" for 6 years now.

Edited by brokenportal, 02 January 2009 - 06:15 AM.

#12 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:28 AM

Is the Google doc working, I get an error when clicking it.

#13 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:46 AM

I just checked the topics link to it. I must have linked it to the edit version which you need an invite for. The google doc is called "LEEEP" now so you can get to it from those links in the responses to this topic and around the forums. Here it is again: http://docs.google.c...evision=_latest

#14 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:51 AM

Thanks!

#15 Proconsul

• 108 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

BrokenPortal,
when I click on your link of the google.com i get a blank page with the words: We're sorry, but you do not have access to this document. What do I need to do to get there?

#16 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:12 PM

BrokenPortal,
when I click on your link of the google.com i get a blank page with the words: We're sorry, but you do not have access to this document. What do I need to do to get there?

Good to see people are checking out the links, that is the question Kostas just asked. I answered with this,

I just checked the topics link to it. I must have linked it to the edit version which you need an invite for. The google doc is called "LEEEP" now so you can get to it from those links in the responses to this topic and around the forums. Here it is again: http://docs.google.c...evision=_latest

#17 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

I'll start transferring the material from the Google doc to the imminst wiki soon.

#18 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

I'll start transferring the material from the Google doc to the imminst wiki soon.

Lets get together on some meetings for this before hand. We will want to get anybody else that wants to help with these projects in on the discussion too. Im in the process of narrowing down the projects that will move. Some will be merged, some will be purged and some will remain the same. Then those set to be will be indexed and put in the wiki. Part of indexing them is going to be deciding on the most descriptive key word searchable names for the projects. Then we are going to want to create a link to each project that reflects that title. We are also going to want to all go through the wiki and discuss what a good ordering and rearanging of the current wiki will be and then run it through the directors to make sure that none of them have any objections to changing any of the current structure of the wiki.

#19 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:29 PM

The first project from the rough draft in the google doc has been moved to its official spot in the Imminst Wiki, this projects list is called LEEEP.

This individual project is called the "Internetworking Team". It is the most popular project so far. Do check it out and join and discuss and ask questions and all that.

Edited by brokenportal, 02 February 2009 - 12:10 AM.

#20 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:43 AM

The booklet, zine and or magazine project #21 is getting ready to launch. A few people have come aboard so far. If you want to join then let us know. Right now it is set to be an amateur run one time thing but it can easily expand into some kind of periodic output, like, probably quarterly, if we get some journalism and communications major type people on board.

Before the move to the wiki and the official topic for it go up, please weigh in with any ideas you may have.

#21 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:48 AM

The booklet, zine and or magazine project #21 is getting ready to launch. A few people have come aboard so far. If you want to join then let us know. Right now it is set to be an amateur run one time thing but it can easily expand into some kind of periodic output, like, probably quarterly, if we get some journalism and communications major type people on board.

Before the move to the wiki and the official topic for it go up, please weigh in with any ideas you may have.

This zine project is now merging with the imminst newsletter project. What we will do is work to make the newsletters so that we can collate them at a regular interval into a zine, probably every 3 months. We then want to work out gaining a subscription for it from life extensionists, and people will be ordering them to give away for marketing, and at events and stuff.

If you all havent noticed, check out this new action section configuration that Caliban started today. It looks excellent. Its great for organization and will be able to help us all accellerate even more than imminst already has been.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users