Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Duke's All-Star Supplements

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:13 AM

I'll go ahead and post something I wrote for another forum--a forum populated by game developers, so this is really layman-level advice, but still, these supplements should be the foundation for everyone's regimen. In short, below are the singular supplements (not multi-formulations, like a multi-vitamin) that provide the most bang-for-the-buck. The benefits are universal to everyone, convincingly well researched, and highly desirable for protecting a person's health. These are the current superstars, and between them have research stats showing that may reduce all-cause mortality by at least 50% -- potentially much higher.

o Vitamin C -- 2000mg daily, in divided dosages (vit C has a half-life under an hour, so its benefits are not long lasting, and therefore need to be replenished several times daily).

o Vitamin D3 -- this misnamed vitamin (it's really a hormone) has numerous immunity and cancer-reducing benefits. Vit D3 alone reduces all-cause mortality significantly, perhaps as much as 50%. Most people are deficient, especially in the northern states or latitudes. 5000 I.U. a day recommended.

o Vitamin K2 -- a very recent superstar, especially as a regulator of calcium, and keeping it from arterial accumulation (all plaque is approx 20-25% calcium). In fact, animal studies show complete coronary calcium reversal with K2. Most people are greatly deficient. 5mg a day recommended.

o Niacin -- probably the best booster of HDL, which is highly protective of arterial disease. The key is to not take the no-flush version, which does not raise HDL. I take 100mg morning, and the same at night. The flushing is five minutes of discomfort I do not mind at all, because I look at it as feedback that it’s working.

o EPA/DHA (fish oil) -- a long chain omega-3 polyunsaturated oil that has anti-inflammatory benefits. At most I recommend two grams daily. Polyunsaturated oils have a significant half-life (two years) and therefore do not require much daily replenishment. And since these oils are also easily oxidized (a pro-aging concern), they should be limited to as-needed-and-no-more supplementation.

o Magnesium -- involved in 400+ biochemical processes, any of which can breakdown without adequate magnesium. Also required to counter-balance calcium (needed for muscle contraction) to allow for muscle relaxation. Most people are deficient. Taking the oxide form is a waste. 400mg a day recommended.

o Cocoa -- a food supplement, via eating 10-15 grams dark chocolate daily (at least 70% cocoa content). Super dense in antioxidant, and especially polyphenols that lower blood pressure by generating nitric oxide in the endothelium.

o Coconut oil -- another food supplement, primarily medium length saturated fat that’s processed not in the digestive tract but in the liver. Practically all animals fed coconut oil lose bodyfat, and experience reduced systemic inflammation. Its unique energy producing pathway also poses less oxidative stress on the mitochondria. I eat about 50 grams daily, often a lot more. (Must only get the extra virgin type.) This is my exclusive cooking oil, too.

o Green (and/or) white tea -- this was a leading superstar supplement before resveratrol and vit D3 stole the spotlight two years ago. Still, it’s health benefits are widely accepted and wide ranging, especially in the role of fighting cancer, boosting immunity, and in detoxification.

o Resveratrol -- wide-ranging benefits, especially in terms of cardiovascular health and cancer prevention. May also extend human lifespans by positively expressing our survival genes. 250mg a day recommended.

o Pycnogenol -- I hate to include a brand name on this list but this exceptional supplement is a strong anti-inflammatory (a key cause of cancers and heart disease), and also blocks the breakdown of complex carbs for up to eight hours. Well studied and absolutely safe. 100mg a day recommended.

o Melatonin -- this hormone is the most important brain antioxidant, with numerous other significant full-body benefits.

(Just missing this list: metformin, CoQ10, pomegranate extract, blueberry extract.)

Edited by DukeNukem, 23 December 2008 - 03:18 AM.

• like x 2

#2 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:45 AM

Nice list. I would add that the MK-7 form of K2 is most important and requires much less than 5mg daily. Also much more fish oil is needed than 2 grams IMO.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:45 AM

Great list, too bad I already ordered a couple months supply from vitacost and iherb. Will definitely take the list into consideration next time.

#4 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:52 AM

Also much more fish oil is needed than 2 grams IMO.

read through dukes thread on fish oil. as long as omega-6 intake is kept moderate, 2g is more than enough.

duke

excellent list... i would say this is basically the quintessential 'starter regimen'

why metformin?

why the 250mg dose of resv? most people seem to be taking a lot more...

i personally don't mind the niacin flush from small doses, but anything over 50mg is enough to cause me pretty severe physical pain. 100mg is enough to make most people feel like they are going to die the first few times they take it. do you think its the flush in and of itself that provides the benefits, or the nicotinic acid itself. i have seem 'time released' niacin as nicotinic acid with fibers/polymers to delay digest enough to offset the flush.

Edited by ajnast4r, 23 December 2008 - 07:21 AM.

#5 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:04 AM

i personally don't mind the niacin flush from small doses, but anything over 50mg is enough to cause me pretty severe physical pain. 100mg is enough to make most people feel like they are going to die the first few times they take it. do you think its the flush in and of itself that provides the benefits, or the nicotinic acid itself. i have seem 'time released' niacin as nicotinic acid with fibers/polymers to delay digest enough to offset the flush.

Time released should be fine for improving lipids (Slo-Niacin, Niaspan), although at higher doses there is a slightly greater chance of liver problems. Immediate release may be a little more effective for raising HDL, but of course you pay the price with the flush. It's inositol hexaniacinate, which is sold as no-flush, which is useless for raising HDL.

Edited by nameless, 23 December 2008 - 07:06 AM.

#6 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

excellent list... i would say this is basically the quintessential 'starter regimen'

why metformin?

Metformin...who mentions that???

Edited by Michael, 11 February 2010 - 01:14 AM.
Trim quotes

#7 Spiral Architect

• 79 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

Where do you get your coconut oil from? I've never seen it ... anywhere.
I've never seen it mentioned anywhere except for in a few of your last posts. Do you have any link handy for extra reading?

Edited by Spiral Architect, 23 December 2008 - 03:15 PM.

#8 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

I have always wondered why folks pick pine bark (pycnogenol is a brand) over grape seed. Grape Seed is alleged to have a similar, but broader spectrum of polyphenols (or so I have read), and is less expensive.

I think pycnogenol may have a great number of studies due to sponsorship by the owner of the trademark. Grape Seed has some good studies too though.

#9 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

I've never seen it mentioned anywhere except for in a few of your last posts. Do you have any link handy for extra reading?

Did you read this? http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=22956

#10 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

I have always wondered why folks pick pine bark (pycnogenol is a brand) over grape seed. Grape Seed is alleged to have a similar, but broader spectrum of polyphenols (or so I have read), and is less expensive.

I think pycnogenol may have a great number of studies due to sponsorship by the owner of the trademark. Grape Seed has some good studies too though.

Both are high in proanthocyanidins, but then so is cocoa. Proanthocyanidins is a class polyphenols, and therefore have a varied benefits within the class. Grape seen and Pycnogenol may have similar benefits, but there are many more convincing studies (IMO) for Pycnogenol, especially showing powerful anti-inflammatory effect. Inflammation is one of the leading pro-aging concerns, so I put a lot of emphasis on reducing it. Note that I also take 100mg of grape seed extract daily, too.

Where do you get your coconut oil from?

I order mine online: Awesome price!

This seems to be the minimum best dosage based on everything I've read and based on the accumulation of other opinions. I take about 350mg daily, and many people take 500mg or more. Optimal dosage level for RSV is still quite speculative.

why metformin?

Several reasons: But primarily it reduces the need for insulin by improving insulin receptivity, it reduces glycation damage. It short, keeping blood sugar under control is one of the key tactics to extending life, and metformin, which has been in use for some 50 years, is proven both effective and safe in this role. More articles on metformin.

#11 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

man i cant believe they are selling it that cheap...thats a fantastic price.

Several reasons: But primarily it reduces the need for insulin by improving insulin receptivity, it reduces glycation damage. It short, keeping blood sugar under control is one of the key tactics to extending life, and metformin, which has been in use for some 50 years, is proven both effective and safe in this role. More articles on metformin.

is insulin sensitivity improved permanently or only in the presence of the drug?

#12 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

Metformin seems to reduce free testosterone in (obese) overweight non diabetic men and women. In several discussions it is mentioned it also decreases FT in healthy men, but I was not able to find the evidence yet.
And what about this? Metformin increases circulating tumour necrosis factor-alpha levels in non-obese non-diabetic patients with coronary heart disease.

So, at least for the time being it has a red flag for me. What's your opinion?

Edited by Brainbox, 23 December 2008 - 05:59 PM.

#13 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

Metformin seems to reduce free testosterone in (obese) overweight non diabetic men and women. In several discussions it is mentioned it also decreases FT in healthy men, but I was not able to find the evidence yet.
And what about this? Metformin increases circulating tumour necrosis factor-alpha levels in non-obese non-diabetic patients with coronary heart disease.

I don't have coronary heart disease. Next.

Okay, seriously, I accept a little downside to metformin, such as the testosterone issue. But, since I supplement with testosterone and maintain a target level, I don't see metfomin's effect as an issue.

is insulin sensitivity improved permanently or only in the presence of the drug?

I'm not sure, but my guess is that you need to continue using it to get the benefit.

#14 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

Some more studies on Metformin and testosterone

http://cat.inist.fr/...cpsidt=13918081
http://www.nature.co...oby200190a.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16520442

#15 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:11 PM

I think I need to use more coconut oil. That's about 3 or 4 times what I eat. Is there a dark chocolate brand you recommend?

#16 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

Some more studies on Metformin and testosterone

http://cat.inist.fr/...cpsidt=13918081
http://www.nature.co...oby200190a.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16520442

The first one seems to be very significant indeed.

Conclusion: Metformin administration was associated with a reduction in total testosterone, free testosterone, and 17-hydroxyprogesterone and an increase in sex hormone binding globulin and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate in normal males.

Regarding the TNF-alpha issue, there seem to be contradictory information on metformin regarding inflammatory issues in general. But all the studies I've seen are on non-healthy subjects. For me, there has been no pharmaceutical substance that has a proven safety profile so that I would use it like a supplement in a healthy situation. I'm just very careful in this regard.

#17 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

so the metformin advice has nothing to do with the AMPK activation?

#18 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

Chocolate, tea and wine improve cognitive performance significantly.

Participants filled in information about their habitual food intake and underwent a battery of cognitive tests.Those who consumed chocolate, wine, or tea had significantly better mean test scores and lower prevalence of poor cognitive performance than those who did not.

#19 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

Chocolate, tea and wine improve cognitive performance significantly.

Participants filled in information about their habitual food intake and underwent a battery of cognitive tests.Those who consumed chocolate, wine, or tea had significantly better mean test scores and lower prevalence of poor cognitive performance than those who did not.

what type of wine do you drink?

i prefer less dry, less acidic pinot noir or merlot for both taste & polyphenol content. i also quite enjoy moscoto & berry wines on occasion...they taste great but are a little high in sugar for daily consumption.

#20 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:16 PM

I don't know if this necessarily means anything unless the researchers were careful to adjust for all kinds of other factors. People who consume chocolate, wine and tea are sophisticated, educated people and you would expect them as a group to excel on cognitive performance tests.

The recent study I posted about the relationship between smoking and lower IQ demonstrated this type of non-causal association.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 23 December 2008 - 08:18 PM.

#21 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

I don't know if this necessarily means anything unless the researchers were careful to adjust for all kinds of other factors. People who consume chocolate, wine and tea are sophisticated, educated people and you would expect them as a group to excel on cognitive performance tests.

I agree.

what type of wine do you drink?

Maybe 5-10 glasses a year, always red, usually just the cheapest house wine. Never buy the second least expensive wine in a restaurant, as it's always the most over-priced because they know no one wants to look cheap buying the least expensive wine.

#22 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

People who consume chocolate, wine and tea are sophisticated, educated people and you would expect them as a group to excel on cognitive performance tests.

Hershey's bars, Boone's Farm, sweet tea by the gallon.

Alabama should be ruling this motha.

#23 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

Can anyone explain why metformin's (sex) hormonal effect can't be chalked up to its effects on overall insulin levels?

#24 shuffleup

• 160 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

Both are high in proanthocyanidins, but then so is cocoa. Proanthocyanidins is a class polyphenols, and therefore have a varied benefits within the class. Grape seen and Pycnogenol may have similar benefits, but there are many more convincing studies (IMO) for Pycnogenol, especially showing powerful anti-inflammatory effect. Inflammation is one of the leading pro-aging concerns, so I put a lot of emphasis on reducing it. Note that I also take 100mg of grape seed extract daily, too.

This seems to be the minimum best dosage based on everything I've read and based on the accumulation of other opinions. I take about 350mg daily, and many people take 500mg or more. Optimal dosage level for RSV is still quite speculative.

why metformin?

Is that coconut oil refined or unrefined? How do I tell?

#25 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

Well, it's refined to the degree that it's removed from the nut and packed in a jar. But, the link I gave is for extra virgin (cold pressed, no chemicals) coconut oil. Anything less processed would need to fall from a tree.

#26 HaloTeK

• 254 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:16 PM

What about studies that show people do better on cognitive tests eating a higher carb diet?

Sorry, don't have the studies to back this up-- but I remember reading more than one of them. And I back a paleo-like diet!

#27 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

What about studies that show people do better on cognitive tests eating a higher carb diet?

Sorry, don't have the studies to back this up-- but I remember reading more than one of them. And I back a paleo-like diet!

I'd need to see the study to make a comment.

#28 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

It should have a strong coconut flavor. If it is too refined the coconut flavor will be slight. Think extra virgin olive oil flavor versus refined olive oil.

#29 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:37 PM

man i cant believe they are selling it that cheap...thats a fantastic price.

It's even a little cheaper at iherb, but only if you qualify for free shipping.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

iHerb sells it for $16.50 but offers shipping via UPS ground for $4. Amazon's price of $15.65 is cheaper, but the shipping is listed at $11.50. The 54 ounce tub is a better value at $23.99 with the same $4 shipping, for more of that coconut goodness.

StephenB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users