Photo
- - - - -

A controversial idea, anyone any ideas?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

Since the problem with combining ritalin with selegeline is a hypertensive issue, has anyone tried small dose of selegeline with ritalin, and small dose beta blockers to counteract the hypertensive action of the rit and seleg? I dont plan on taking any high doses of any of them. Something like 5mg ritalin, 2mg deprenyl, and 2.5mg nebivolol. Any ideas? In theory it seems like it might work, although id like to hear from anyone with experience.

I know this might be a bit over the top, but I have some serious data interpretation exams coming up which means i need to be on the toppest of my top form.

Edited by medicineman, 07 January 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#2 Galantamine

• 209 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

Since the problem with combining ritalin with selegeline is a hypertensive issue, has anyone tried small dose of selegeline with ritalin, and small dose beta blockers to counteract the hypertensive action of the rit and seleg? I dont plan on taking any high doses of any of them. Something like 5mg ritalin, 2mg deprenyl, and 2.5mg nebivolol. Any ideas? In theory it seems like it might work, although id like to hear from anyone with experience.

I know this might be a bit over the top, but I have some serious data interpretation exams coming up which means i need to be on the toppest of my top form.

Whats the reasoning for selegeline?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 medicineman

• Topic Starter
  • 750 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

Selegeline inhibits deamination effects of mao-b to dopamine, while ritalin blocks dopamine reuptake.

#4 Galantamine

• 209 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

Selegeline inhibits deamination effects of mao-b to dopamine, while ritalin blocks dopamine reuptake.

So regular ritalin users brains have abnormally high amounts of amines, and this elevation is toxic to neurons? And even if this was the case, how would temporarily reducing deamination increase cognition?

Edited by TheDiesel, 07 January 2009 - 10:10 PM.

#5 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

So you're trying to get dopamine levels to a point normally hypertensive because of simultaneous alpha-adrenergic agonist (and/or beta) binding? For some reason I think of unwanted side effects that have nothing to do with added cognition, like psychosis. I'm still a bit n00bish at this, so maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

#6 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

TheDiesel - MAO is the garbage man of the brain and kills off your neurotransmitters. Interfering with it helps with virtually all mental illnesses.

@OP - you won't necessarily get more hypertension with both of them together than you will separately. Beta blockers are not a bad idea for ADDers, though, and can be effective medication ont heir own.

#7 medicineman

• Topic Starter
  • 750 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:02 PM

no, nothing about toxicity. im not worried about dopamine byproducts. i dont think ritalin in therapeutic doses is neurotoxic.

ritalin causes a transient rise in dopamine. i just want that transient rise to remain longer.. the dopamine is actually more for motivation rather than cognition in the sense of better memory etc.... i should have been specific.

about the psychosis or a manic episode, yea thats another worry im having. i read somewhere in the net about a guy who took selegiline with ritalin, and ended up full blown manic. he did have a history of mood disorder, but still, i have a reason to worry.

#8 Galantamine

• 209 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

TheDiesel - MAO is the garbage man of the brain and kills off your neurotransmitters. Interfering with it helps with virtually all mental illnesses.

Any evidence for this?

#9 Galantamine

• 209 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

no, nothing about toxicity. im not worried about dopamine byproducts. i dont think ritalin in therapeutic doses is neurotoxic.

ritalin causes a transient rise in dopamine. i just want that transient rise to remain longer.. the dopamine is actually more for motivation rather than cognition in the sense of better memory etc.... i should have been specific.

Interesting.

#10 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

Any evidence for this?

google.com

#11 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:47 AM

The statement was a bit brash... I've never heard of schizophrenia being abolished with an MAO inhibitor. Seems likely to send a bipolar patient into a manic phase as a stand-alone therapy. Hmmm.

#12 Galantamine

• 209 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

The statement was a bit brash... I've never heard of schizophrenia being abolished with an MAO inhibitor. Seems likely to send a bipolar patient into a manic phase as a stand-alone therapy. Hmmm.

Exactly. MAO inhibitors are not used frequently in the clinical setting. Parkinsons is one of the few disease states which would clearly benefit from an MAOI.

Any evidence for this?

google.com

MAO doesn't kill of nerve cells, so can you further explain your statement?

#13 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:21 AM

First off, read about neurotransmitters! They are not nerve cells, or even cells of any kind. The simplified explanation is that they are chemicals that signal the brain into doing various things. Sort of like how hormones trigger reactions in the body.

My answer of google.com might have seemed dismissive, and I am not infallible by any means. However, you should take it upon yourself to do some basic research about subjects before wasting others' times by challenging things that are common knowledge to anyone who has done some basic reading. If you don't know anything at all about it, how can you be doubtful, or have any opinion at all?

When I see someone here mention something completely unfamiliar that's interesting the first thing I do is read its wiki entry or google it. Usually once I know what it is and its believed mechanism of action then whatever was posted here comes to make more sense and it's usually easy to see why people make the statements they do and to evaluate how solid the evidence behind them is. In cases like this a couple minutes of reading should make things completely clear and doesn't take you much more time than posting here would take, and saves me from spending 45 minutes trying to explain the obvious (and apparently failing).

Maybe, there is just some miscommunication on my part, though, so I will try to clarify.

From the wiki article:
"MAOIs act by inhibiting the activity of monoamine oxidase, thus preventing the breakdown of monoamine neurotransmitters and thereby increasing their availability."

Now, that's exactly what I said. MAO is the garbage man of the brain, and it destroys your neurotransmitters. This is a natural, normal process, but in most mental diseases the most easy way to treat it is using drugs which act on neurotransmitters, either increasing the level of them or else keeping them from being dstroyed or prolonging their binding to receptor sites, or sometimes working in the opposite direction. The easiest and most effective way to increase neurotransmitter count in the brain is to use an MAOI.

With that in mind, OBVIOUSLY MAOI can be a great thing, and what you've read so far should make it obvious it's a great potential treatment for a wide variety of mental illnesses, especially since each of the MAOIs has a slightly different profile which makes some better for treating some things than others. It is almost certainly the psych drug class with the broadest range of therapeutic use and due to its mechanism this should be very obviously true.

Of course, you are not going to use it in every situation, because ramping up dopamine, ep., and ne is not a great idea if they are already too high. Some drugs work in the other direction to make neurotransmitters less effective and that's more appropriate in same cases, but on the other hand yes it could be used to treat schizophrenia and it is used offlabel for just that in some cases just as some schizophrenics do very well when treated with stimulants. However, it's mainly known as an excellent treatment for depression, social and other anxiety, ADD, bipolar disorder...er, am I missing anything? Oh, wait, it can also be used for neuropathic pain, insomnia, akathesia, anhedonism, agorophobia, cluster headaches...and probably more uses I am not thinking of. Like I said, virtually all mental illness. They are generally approved for use treating depression, but using MAOIs (and other psych drugs) offlabel is more the norm than the exception.

When nothing else works, that's usually when people take MAOIs, and there's many people for whom nothing else works at all or else has horrid side effects. The only drawback is that it can work TOO good; MAO is there to keep your brain from building up too many neurotransmitters, because if you do it can be lethal because your brain will be on overdrive. Things like tyrosine and l-dopa are precursors to neurotransmitters so eating them while on an MAOI or a wide variety of substances that have them in it or else have some affect on neurotransmitters, not to mention other precsription drugs, and people ignore doctor's warnings or they take their meds improperly, so it leads to trips to the emergency room or death for some people.

#14 Galantamine

• 209 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

First off, read about neurotransmitters! They are not nerve cells, or even cells of any kind. The simplified explanation is that they are chemicals that signal the brain into doing various things. Sort of like how hormones trigger reactions in the body.

Wow. You wrote a lot! Sorry, I didn't read your original statement clearly enough and thought you said "nerve cells," and not neurotransmitters. ;)

I'm aware of how MAO metabolizes NT's.

#15 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

This sounds like the kind of thing I would recommend having physician supervision for; granted, the doses are low enough that your risk of hypertensive crisis even without the beta blockers is pretty low. Keep in mind that the hypertension in such in interaction is primarily through vasoconstriction, with some cardiac involvement. A vasodilator (nitroglycerin, nifedipine, etc) would more directly counteract a synergistic interaction, but it would bottom out your blood pressure in the absence of one.
Also keep in mind that one of the metabolites of selelgiline is the inactive isomer of methamphetamine, so I'm not sure if there's a potential interaction there.

#16 Duke

• 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

@ bgwithadd

Except he's using Selegiline, not your run-off-the-mill MAOI.

"Selegiline has a low oral bioavailability.

Selegiline's oral bioavailability is drastically increased in females taking oral contraceptives (10- to 20-fold).[6] This could lead to loss of MAO-B selectivity, which in turn would make patients suspectible to the usual risks of unselective MAOIs such as tyramine-induced hypertensive crisis and serotonin toxicity when combined with serotonergics such as SSRIs.[6]"

I'm assuming the OP won't be taking oral contraceptives.

#17 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:55 AM

Duke, that's true, though mao-b is what you probably want unless you are actually depressed. Now that I look back my original post seems sort of pointless. I should have said simply "it has too many (potentially) good effects to count".

In any case it definitely wasn't meant to be a controversial statement and my reply was not meant as a flame.

@pete - that was an informative post. Vinpocetine is helping somewhat but any ideas on fighting vasoconstriction are appreciated. I worry a lot about its negative effects, which seem to be hitting me pretty hard.

Edited by bgwithadd, 12 January 2009 - 02:58 AM.

#18 Duke

• 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:50 AM

Duke, that's true, though mao-b is what you probably want unless you are actually depressed. Now that I look back my original post seems sort of pointless. I should have said simply "it has too many (potentially) good effects to count".

To clear that up, you mean mao-b inhibition is what you want "unless you are actually depressed," where mao-a inhibition is what one would desire?

I can't think of a reason anyone would want mao-b other than if their brain is gung-ho with dopamine, which as you stated, there's drugs available if this were the case.

#19 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:37 AM

The combination of Methylphenidate or Amphetamine with the selective MAO-B-inhibitor Selegiline or the unselective MAOIs Phenelzine/Tranylcypromine is contraindicated for obvious reasons. Nevertheless this combo has been used in clinical settings and there are quite some people on Dr-Bob's Board who use it (eg. Nardil + Ritalin or Parnate + Amphetamine). It has to be done very carefully with low entry doses slowly titrating up.

MAO-B selective doses of Selegiline don't make a good antidepressant. As bgwithadd said, Parnate and Nardil can work very good even if ALL modern antidepressants (mostly Reuptake-Inhibitors) fail to improve the condition. They increase 5-HT, NE and DA levels by a completely differnt mechanism than modern ADs and they do a host of other stuff, some of which is poorly understood. The diet restrictions or way overblown mostly by doctors who have no experience in prescriping these old but powerful drugs. The drug interactions are very real, while on an MAOI one Meperidine/Tramadol/Pethidine dose can kill a person, many overcounter meds can't be taken. Nevertheless keep in mind MAOIs are 50+ years old and and they are still being prescribed. They are not more effective than SSRIs/SNRIs in general, but if a person doesn't respond well to this modern ADs, MAOIs can be the answer... and a good one. An SSRI is a scalpel, a MAOI is a broadsword.

Edited by unbreakable, 12 January 2009 - 07:39 AM.

#20 Duke

• 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

edited

Edited by Duke, 12 January 2009 - 10:38 AM.

#21 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

By the way: If the combination of a MAOI with a stimulant results in a hypertensive crisis in some people, I wouldn't treat it with any betablocker except maybe Carvedilol as it acts as a alphablocker too. I would go for Nifedepine, Clonidine or Chlorpromazine. Pure beta-receptor-antagonism could result in overstimulation of alpha-receptors which would be very counterproductive.

#22 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

By the way: If the combination of a MAOI with a stimulant results in a hypertensive crisis in some people, I wouldn't treat it with any betablocker except maybe Carvedilol as it acts as a alphablocker too. I would go for Nifedepine, Clonidine or Chlorpromazine. Pure beta-receptor-antagonism could result in overstimulation of alpha-receptors which would be very counterproductive.

I wasn't aware that beta andrenergic antagonism led to alpha stimulation. Alpha-2 agonists do seem like a better class to use than nitrates, because they shouldn't bottom out BP if taken as prophylaxis. Anyways, good recommendations on the drugs.

Keep in mind the OP is looking for a nootropic effect, not an antidepressant one. Actually, given my history of refractory psych issues, I intend to get MAOI's if my orthomolecular regimen flops. These drugs are definitely underutilized today, and it's very reassuring to know I still have them as a last resort; also a little aggravating that after 8 years of psychiatrists none of them thought to mention this option.

@bgwithadd:
Keep in mind vinpocetine is a cerebral vasodilator. If you have vasoconstriction in the rest of your body and vasodilation in your brain, you're spiking intracranial pressure and risking hemorrhagic stroke. I don't like vinpocetine in general because of this risk, but even more so when you've got another messy drug interaction going on.

#23 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:22 AM

Well I took this line as comedy. :)

MAO inhibitors are not used frequently in the clinical setting.

Indeed; and IMHO it's a pity. They should be used more -- more frequently, and also with more understanding and (it rarely hurts) caution.

I might go so far as to say a lot of psychiatrists don't want to be as involved with their patients as MAOI prescriptions require, but I will refrain from this line of inquiry. Suffice it to say that they are extraordinarily useful in some cases, and also possibly quite dangerous in their unique fashion -- much like pretty much any psychiatric agent of strength.

Ain't no such thing as a run-of-the-mill MAOI; certainly no such thing in available clinical use.

Just sayin'.

Selegiline has a low oral bioavailability.

First of all, while MAO-B is not (as far as current medicinal opinion knows) the twin directly responsible for norepinephrine deamination, the potential interaction between MAO-B inhibitors and methylphenidate (and most sympathomimetics) lies especially in the fact that MAO-B is directly responsible for deamination of phenethylamine, and thus MAO-B is NOT unlikely to play some role in removing the substituted phenethylamines: e.g. methylphenidate (sometimes labelled methyl2-phenyl-2-(2-piperidyl)ethanoate -- chemistry geeks can locate the "phenyl-ethyl-amine" in there with ease it seems), and most e.g. OTC decongestants, which is why decongestants and sympathomimetics in general receive a sharp contraindication in the selegiline monograph even at doses thought to be MAO-B selective.

Second, regardless of relative considerations like bioavailability the issue of whether MAO-A ends up being affected or not on various different regimens of chronic dosing of "low-dose" selegiline is far from a settled question or a sure thing either way, despite what some have thought or what has been advertised by some speculators.

Caution! Caution!

The thing that actually makes me think (IMHO again ;)) that selegiline might have a higher basic margin of safety in combination with sympathomimetics than e.g. phenelzine or tranylcypromine is its peculiar and still-not-totally-elucidated activity at the adrenergic receptors. I think it might exert an positively adrenergic effect on its own (rather than a2 agonists, for instance) but act something like e.g. buprenorphine does with the opioid receptors, tying up the receptors and blocking exogenous and endogenous stimulation within certain margins. That is my speculation however. In any case it decreases tyramine-evoked release of norepinephrine and might interfere with other things that hit up the adrenergic system too.

But this is a partial, vague effect and the drug combinations still are dangerous and still need CAUTION.

A controversial idea, anyone any ideas?, beta-blocker, ritalin, selegeline

To the OP: MAOI/psychostimulant combinations need to be done with a doctor, very carefully, titrating up slowly.

W/R/T hypotensive agent you generally are not going to want a daily medication for MAOI/psychostimulant combination (see, Tranylcypromine and especially phenelzine are typically hypotensive -- they LOWER blood pressure -- outside of hypertensive crisis occurring due to ingestion of adrenergic agents in food/drug ... selegiline, OTOH, may be different and seems to raise blood pressure alone in a significant group of users ... again this might be due to the adrenergic receptor interactions) ... but instead a rescue medication to take in the event of hypertensive crisis (you still would want to receive medical attention immediately ... for various reasons ... your doctor should tell you about all this and more if you use the combination). Unbreakable gave nice suggestions.

Now, guanfacine is quite often used in clinical practice with methylphenidate ALONE in the case of excessive peripheral side effects, to lower these without (this is the intent anyway) compromising effectiveness in ADHD ...

Unbreakable, I cosign everything in your excellent posts in this thread, and also this is an great point, thanks for making it clear to people. I will remember to publicize this in my future posts.

"SSRIs are a scalpel, MAOIs are a broadsword." Heh heh heh.

#24 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:29 AM

MAO is the garbage man of the brain and kills off your neurotransmitters. Interfering with it helps with virtually all mental illnesses.

Well I took this line as comedy. :)

MAO inhibitors are not used frequently in the clinical setting.

Indeed; and IMHO it's a pity. They should be used more -- more frequently, and also with more understanding and (it rarely hurts) caution.

I might go so far as to say a lot of psychiatrists don't want to be as involved with their patients as MAOI prescriptions require, but I will refrain from this line of inquiry. Suffice it to say that they are extraordinarily useful in some cases, and also possibly quite dangerous in their unique fashion -- much like pretty much any psychiatric agent of strength.

Ain't no such thing as a run-of-the-mill MAOI; certainly no such thing in available clinical use.

Just sayin'.

Selegiline has a low oral bioavailability.

First of all, while MAO-B is not (as far as current medicinal opinion knows) the twin directly responsible for norepinephrine deamination, the potential interaction between MAO-B inhibitors and methylphenidate (and most sympathomimetics) lies especially in the fact that MAO-B is directly responsible for deamination of phenethylamine, and thus MAO-B is NOT unlikely to play some role in removing the substituted phenethylamines: e.g. methylphenidate (sometimes labelled methyl2-phenyl-2-(2-piperidyl)ethanoate -- chemistry geeks can locate the "phenyl-ethyl-amine" in there with ease it seems), and most e.g. OTC decongestants, which is why decongestants and sympathomimetics in general receive a sharp contraindication in the selegiline monograph even at doses thought to be MAO-B selective.

Second, regardless of relative considerations like bioavailability the issue of whether MAO-A ends up being affected or not on various different regimens of chronic dosing of "low-dose" selegiline is far from a settled question or a sure thing either way, despite what some have thought or what has been advertised by some speculators.

Caution! Caution!

The thing that actually makes me think (IMHO again ;)) that selegiline might have a higher basic margin of safety in combination with sympathomimetics than e.g. phenelzine or tranylcypromine is its peculiar and still-not-totally-elucidated activity at the adrenergic receptors. I think it might exert an positively adrenergic effect on its own (rather than a2 agonists, for instance) but act something like e.g. buprenorphine does with the opioid receptors, tying up the receptors and blocking exogenous and endogenous stimulation within certain margins. That is my speculation however. In any case it decreases tyramine-evoked release of norepinephrine and might interfere with other things that hit up the adrenergic system too.

But this is a partial, vague effect and the drug combinations still are dangerous and still need CAUTION.

A controversial idea, anyone any ideas?, beta-blocker, ritalin, selegeline

To the OP: MAOI/psychostimulant combinations need to be done with a doctor, very carefully, titrating up slowly.

W/R/T hypotensive agent you generally are not going to want a daily medication for MAOI/psychostimulant combination (see, Tranylcypromine and especially phenelzine are typically hypotensive -- they LOWER blood pressure -- outside of hypertensive crisis occurring due to ingestion of adrenergic agents in food/drug ... selegiline, OTOH, may be different and seems to raise blood pressure alone in a significant group of users ... again this might be due to the adrenergic receptor interactions) ... but instead a rescue medication to take in the event of hypertensive crisis (you still would want to receive medical attention immediately ... for various reasons ... your doctor should tell you about all this and more if you use the combination). Unbreakable gave nice suggestions.

Now, guanfacine is quite often used in clinical practice with methylphenidate ALONE in the case of excessive peripheral side effects, to lower these without (this is the intent anyway) compromising effectiveness in ADHD ...

I take memantine for the purposes I believe you are describing. A combination of selegiline with psychostimulant, for me, was not a long-term aid in this. YMMV ... and remain cautious.

As a total aside, for a few reasons I suspect phenelzine is a glutamate antagonist through some pathway, maybe just GABAnergic but.

Unbreakable, I cosign everything in your excellent posts in this thread, and also this is an great point, thanks for making it clear to people. I will remember to publicize this in my future posts.

"SSRIs are a scalpel, MAOIs are a broadsword." Heh heh heh.

Edited by graatch, 13 January 2009 - 07:32 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#25 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

You seem to be very knowledgeable in this field, may I ask where you lerned about MAOIs?

One could also argue that Methylphenidate blocks the norepinephrine transporter and therefore reduces the risk of the cheese reaction as tyramine is being taken up in the presynaptic nerve by the same mechanism. If this theory is true for Ritalin I don't know, but it works for noradrenergic TCAs and Reboxetine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users