• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

SENS4

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence (SENS), Fourth Conference
Queens' College, Cambridge, England
3-7 September 2009

You are cordially invited to participate in the fourth Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence (SENS) conference, which will be held from 3-7 September 2009 at Queens' College, Cambridge.

The meeting will comprise invited talks, short oral presentations of submitted abstracts, and poster sessions. There will be no concurrent sessions. Talks will take place in the Fitzpatrick Lecture Hall. Poster sessions will take place each evening in the conservatory adjacent to the bar, with the customary free alcohol.

From the invitation email:

The preliminary program already has 35 confirmed speakers, all of them world leaders in their field. As for previous SENS conferences, the emphasis of this meeting is on "applied gerontology" - the design and implementation of biomedical interventions that may, jointly, constitute a comprehensive panel of rejuvenation therapies, sufficient to restore middle-aged or older laboratory animals (and, in due course, humans) to a youthful degree of physiological robustness. The list of sessions and confirmed speakers is as follows:

Making metabolism less harmful:
Vladimir Skulachev, Holly Brown-Borg, Stephen Spindler, Stephen Vatner
Spontaneous regeneration:
Brandon Reines, Jonathan Tilly, Alexandra Stolzing
Eliminating recalcitrant intracellular molecules:
William Sly, Ana Maria Cuervo, John Schloendorn, Claude Wischik, Martin Hetzer
Rejuvenating extracellular material:
Nik Nikitin, Mark Pepys, Sudhir Paul, Mark Noble, Kendall Houk
Novel anti-cancer approaches:
Paul Hallenbeck, Adela Ben-Yakar, Vera Gorbunova, Maria Blasco, David Keefe
Rejuvenating the immune system:
Janko Nikolich-Zugich, Anne de Groot
ES-like cells and cell therapy:
Justin Ichida, Ilham Abuljadayel, Thomas Zwaka, Daniel Kraft, John Sladek, Dan Gazit
Tissue engineering:
Augustinus Bader, Gabor Forgacs
The defeat of aging and its consequences:
Philip Moriarty, Tanya Jones, Leonid Gavrilov

In addition, there will be at least a dozen short talks selected from submitted abstracts, as well as poster sessions each evening. Authors of short talks and posters will, like the invited speakers, be invited to submit a paper summarising their presentation for the proceedings volume, which will be published in the high-impact journal Rejuvenation Research early in 2010.

More details are on the Methuselah Foundation's SENS4 page. If you're a life extensionist and can possibly make it, you owe it to yourself to attend. In addition to the great value it'd be for you yourself to see the science close up, it's very important to have good turnout from the radical life extension community. Crazy as it sounds, not only the general public, but even many of the scientists doing key research (and especially biogerontology!) who really don't think about the implications of their work, either for aging, or even for biomedicine: do their work because they wanted to do something challenging, but only drifted into aging research (or SENS-relevant biomedicine more broadly) because that's where their opportunities came up, through the vagaries of their academic career.

Contact with you will help to awaken these people to the enormous moral responsibility that they unwittingly hold in their hands, as well as rousing the members the general public who are interested, but still somewhat in the grips of the "pro-aging trance," and whose mobilization will be key to getting more public and private investments into the core biotechnologies that we will need to finally end the blight of biological aging.

I've been to all of the SENS conferences, plus UABBA, and they have consistently been amazing, exciting, inspiring (and exhausting!) events that left me full of optimism for further progress and the sense of being right on the pulse of progress. You get to interact directly with researchers doing cutting-edge work, hear the presentation of unpublished work, and watch as scientists from different SENS-relevant fields, who often have no idea what's going on in other fields in the SENS platform, realize that they've been unwittingly participating in a revolution.

Whether or not you can go, please do your part to spread the word! You can do this on personal blogs, by email, in organizations where you work, play, or volunteer, or by whatever creative means you can come up with.

Hope to see you all there!

-Michael

Edited by caliban, 03 July 2009 - 08:20 PM.

#2 Michael

• Topic Starter
  • Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

I will probably be in the UK around September and might be able to get to SENS4 with NinjaDuck

Do come!

Is the payment for everyone or just those who wish to have rooms and meals?

From the SENS4 registration page:

The early registration deadline for the conference is June 15th. Note that the fees shown below are inclusive of accommodation, which is provided by the College. All meals are also included. ... Those not requiring accommodation ... should also contact the organiser.

Edited by Michael, 10 February 2009 - 07:09 PM.

#3 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:22 AM

Thank you! ^^
I guess I will have to email aubrey ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

Can the conference be sold out? I am just wondering if I need to hurry and registrate way before June 15th?

#5 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:42 PM

Sounds like a ripper. If I can only convince my employers to pay for the trip!

#6 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

I definitely want to go. Must try to get cash together. I'm thinking that coming from Perth Australia I could get an air Asia flight to Malaysia and from there another air Asia flight to the UK... that would be the cheapest way to get there?

Edited by caston, 15 February 2009 - 04:13 PM.

#7 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

I'm going to buy the flight on my credit card when I find out how to get it cheap enough. I've got a few domains I might sell though to help me buy the plane ticket and I guess if I get enough for them it won't matter so much what I pay for the plane ticket and I can stop trying to weasel a few hundred off the airfare. And thanks to
the Rudd governments "Tax bonus payment" I should have the money to pay for the conference registration.
http://www.ato.gov.a...s...p;page=3
That's the most intelligent thing I could possibly imagine using that money for. Any other Aussies with me on this one?

Edited by caston, 18 February 2009 - 02:08 PM.

#8 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

http://www.sens.org/...s4_registration

There will be an ImmInst get-together in connection with this conference at that time in Cambridge.
All members and associates are very much welcome to attend, even if you don't plan to attend the entire conference.
Please get in touch with Shannon for details.

#9 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

today is the last chance for discounted registrations!

#10 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:14 PM

I'll be at SENS4 for 2-3 days. Anyone know of good accommodations for under $100 USD per night in Cambridge? From past experience, any suggestions of what works best?

#11 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:45 PM

I really wish I could go. Unfortunately, I'm required to stay in Lund during the SENS4 days (it's my duty as president of the Student Union of Science). Will videos be available online, like last year (I assume they will)?

#12 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:47 AM

I'll be at SENS4 for 2-3 days. Anyone know of good accommodations for under $100 USD per night in Cambridge? From past experience, any suggestions of what works best?

Accommodation as well as food and alcohol is supplied as part of the registration fee.

#13 Mind

• 19,047 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the reminder Caston, however, I will not be at the conference for the full duration, thus it is not cost effective to pay the full registration (for only 2 nights stay).

#14 Mind

• 19,047 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:17 PM

List of Imminst members who will be at SENS4

Mind
Caliban
AgeVivo
Michael
Shannon
DJS
Didier
Aubrey (of course)
Sven
John?
Elrond (leaning against)

SENSFAI staff attending SENS 4:
-Kelsey Moody
-Aaron Stupple (most likely)
-Stuart Calimport
-Kemal Akman
-Lucas Trindade

Anyone else? I know there are a few more. Let us know if you will be attending and then we can effectively plan an Imminst meeting.

#15 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:08 AM

I will be there.

List of Imminst members who will be at SENS4

Mind
Caliban
Michael
Shannon
Didier
Aubrey (of course)
John?
Elrond?

Anyone else? I know there are a few more. Let us know if you will be attending and then we can effectively plan an Imminst meeting.

#16 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

unfortunately, I can't attend the SENS4 conference :( mabey next time...
I hope that somebody could give a report about this :-)

#17 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:06 AM

I'll be there, but probably won't be arriving until the day of. Hopefully the ImmInst meetup could take place during one of the nights of the conference.

#18 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:07 AM

I'll be there on Thursday 3rd and Friday 4th, not during the week-end

Edited by AgeVivo, 23 July 2009 - 07:08 AM.

#19 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

I will be there.. Are we hanging around in Cambridge for a day or so after the conference?

Also Aubrey said you cane book at extra night to stay there before the conference starts.

#20 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

Are you planning your travel to Europe for SENS4? Consider this too, one week later:

Life Aid Against Aging 2009, Saturday September 12th, near Brussels
http://www.facebook....id=112110236931

send it to your friends!

Edited by AgeVivo, 23 July 2009 - 02:53 PM.

#21 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:10 PM

What's the cheapest way to get to the country/ location of Life Aid and do you need a Visa?

#22 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:01 AM

You should only need a passport (Visas are for when you want to stay beyond 3 months for work, study or long term living purposes).

#23 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

What's the cheapest way to get to the location of Life Aid

from the USA, Cambdrige, London, France, the Netherlands, other? (Life Aid Against Aging is one week after SENS4)

Edited by AgeVivo, 24 July 2009 - 02:20 PM.

#24 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

umm whatever is easiest after SENS I just have to be back at heathrow on the 16th as that is the day of my return flight

Edited by caston, 24 July 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#25 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

The english facebook group about Life Aid Against Aging, http://www.facebook....id=112110236931, suggests several possibilities, in particular:
- train with eurostar (if from SENS4, then train from Cambridge to St Pancras http://www.cam.ac.uk...lon-monfri.html + Eurostar to Brussels https://www.eurostar.com)
- car via the eurotunnel: http://www.eurotunnel.com

Of course an advantage of renting a car is that you are more "free" (in terms of schedule, places to go, things to carry)
but the drawback is that it is more dangerous (remember, English cars have the steering-wheel on the right side...).
Some persons are driving from SENS4 to Brussels: PM if you would like me to ask whether they could drive you.

I mentioned that Life Aid Against Aging is *one week* after SENS4 because during that week you can visit London and Brussels, but you could for instance also visit Paris (London-Paris with Eurostar, Paris-Brussels with thalys, Brussels-London with Eurostar).

#26 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:36 PM

No problem I live in Australia and over here we have steering wheels on the right-hand side and we drive on the left-side of the road :|o

#27 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

[in Australia] we have steering wheels on the right-hand side and we drive on the left-side of the road

like England but not like Europe :|o as you know

prices:
- driving between England and Europe (or more precisely Folkestone in England and Calais in France) through the "eurotunnel" (a train for cars) costs roughly 90€ per car (The web site says it starts at 30€ ... perhaps in leap-years ;) You can go down to 50€ depending on the time of the day, how earlier you reserve, whether it's a one way trip or not, whether you can cancel it or not: http://www.eurotunne...ing/journey.asp) I guess that there is no need to make a reservation, but to be sure the best would be to call them: http://www.eurotunne...rpContactUs.htm (If someone here knows or call them, tell us, thx)
- the train between England and Brussels or Paris (the "eurostar") costs roughly 70€ (a lot more if you want to be able to cancel it).
- the train between Paris and Bussels (the "thalys") costs roughly between 25€ and 75€ depending on how long before you reserve: http://www.thalys.com

#28 kmoody

• Guest, F@H
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

SENSFAI staff attending SENS 4:
-Kelsey Moody
-Aaron Stupple (most likely)
-Stuart Calimport
-Kemal Akman
-Lucas Trindade

#29 Mind

• 19,047 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

We will be holding our meeting at the Anchor Pub.

#30 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:28 AM

That sounds good. When is that going to be ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users