• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

CR Does Not Work thru' GH/IGF-1 (Primarily)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

All:

It's often been argued that CR works primarily through GH/IGF-1 signaling, and that we should therefore not do anything (such as consuming relatively high-protein diets) that might keep our IGF-1 levels up. This, despite the fact that a good GH/IGF-1 signaling mutant rodent study shows that the life-extending, youth-preserving action of CR does not work (or certainly does not work primarily) through a reduction in IGF-1 signaling, and, more importantly, the HUGE amount of evidence that CRed animals do as well or better on a high- as vs a low-protein diet any case (some documentation also in op cit post).

Some months back another mutant-mouse +/- CR study (1) was posted (to no commentary) on the CR list, which demonstrates the disconnect between GH/IGF-1 signaling even more directly than the first study linked above, especially for anyone digging into the full text; I highlight that study here.

Rats were fed normally or with a 30% calorie-restricted diet for 24-26 months. The kidneys of male wild-type young (6 months) and old (24-26 months) rats were compared with male hemizygote transgenic young (6 months) and old (24-26 months) rats ["with suppressed GH activity through ... an antisense GH transgene"] fed with either regular diet or 30% calorie-restricted diet for their entire life span.

RESULTS: The transgenic rats had relatively less pituitary GH-secreting cells, and the plasma levels of IGF-1 were decreased by 53% in homozygote rats (tg/tg) and by 28% in hemizygote rats (tg/wt)... [83% of] Wild-type rats fed the regular diet developed age-associated nephropathy ... In contrast, only 26% of the naturally surviving hemizygote rats showed features of nephropathy, despite the fact that these rats lived 8% longer (maximum survival 171 weeks) ...

When chronic suppression of GH/IGF-1 activity was combined with lifelong caloric restriction, however, age- associated nephropathy was nonexistent in hemizygote transgenic rats, and they showed about 30% increase in survival (maximum survival 204 weeks). There was no significant difference in the rate of neoplastic or nonneoplastic lesions (other than in the kidney) in the regularly fed wild-type rats or in the calorie-restricted hemizygote transgenic rats that survived longer.... (1)

Combining the paper's Tables 2 and 3, for wild-type (WT) and hemizygous-transgenically GH suppressed (TG) ad lib and CR animals, without the standard deviations, yields (sorry if this is hard to read):

===============================================================
Group |IGF-1 @ 6 mo | @ 24-26 mo |Max LS (weeks)| % Increase
===============================================================
Wild AL 1,613.6 1,230.2 158 n/a
TG AL 1,172.2 1,362.3 171 8.2
Wild CR 1,415.8 1,152.4 194 22.7
TG CR 808.2 613.4 204 29.1

So: relative to a nicely longevous wild-type, AL control group, a targeted reduction in GH/IGF-1 (as opposed to Ames dwarf mice, which have reductions in IGF-1, thyroid hormones, and prolactin) increases lifespan by just 8%. Moderate (30%) CR in animals with normal GH expression and translation leaves them with similar or slightly higher IGF-1 levels compared with the transgenic mice, but they live considerably longer (22.7% extension). And while adding GH suppression to CR lowers IGF-1 DRAMATICALLY, it only slightly further extends their lifespan.

This is consistent with, but even clearer than, the similar results in GHR knockout mice, linked above. Suppressed IGF-1 signaling likely plays some role in the effect of CR -- but it's a minor contributor, not a dealbreaker.

-Michael

1. Am J Nephrol. 2008;28(5):755-64.
Genetic suppression of GH-IGF-1 activity, combined with lifelong caloric restriction, prevents age-related renal damage and prolongs the life span in rats.
Zha Y, Taguchi T, Nazneen A, Shimokawa I, Higami Y, Razzaque MS.
PMID: 18434714 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#2 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

Aging (Albany NY). 2012 September; 4(9): 580–589.
Published online 2012 September 9.

PMCID: PMC3492223
Low circulating IGF-I bioactivity is associated with human longevity: Findings in centenarians’ offspring

Giovanni Vitale,1,2 Michael P Brugts,3 Giulia Ogliari,1,4 Davide Castaldi,2,5 Letizia M. Fatti,2 Aimee J. Varewijck,3 Steven W. Lamberts,3 Daniela Monti,6 Laura Bucci,7 Elisa Cevenini,7 Francesco Cavagnini,2 Claudio Franceschi,7,8 Leo J Hofland,3 Daniela Mari,1,4 and Joseph A.M.J.L. Janssen3

Author information ► Article notes ► Copyright and License information ►
Go to:
Abstract

Centenarians’ offspring represent a suitable model to study age-dependent variables (e.g. IGF-I) potentially involved in the modulation of the lifespan. The aim of the present study was to investigate the role of the IGF-I in human longevity. We evaluated circulating IGF-I bioactivity measured by an innovative IGF-I Kinase Receptor Activation (KIRA) Assay, total IGF-I, IGFBP-3, total IGF-II, insulin, glucose, HOMA2-B% and HOMA2-S% in 192 centenarians’ offspring and 80 offspring-controls of which both parents died relatively young. Both groups were well-matched for age, gender and BMI with the centenarians’ offspring. IGF-I bioactivity (p<0.01), total IGF-I (p<0.01) and the IGF-I/IGFBP-3 molar ratio (p<0.001) were significantly lower in centenarians’ offspring compared to offspring matched-controls. Serum insulin, glucose, HOMA2-B% and HOMA2-S% values were similar between both groups. In centenarians’ offspring IGF-I bioactivity was inversely associated to insulin sensitivity. In conclusion: 1) centenarians’ offspring had relatively lower circulating IGF-I bioactivity compared to offspring matched-controls; 2) IGF-I bioactivity in centenarians’ offspring was inversely related to insulin sensitivity. These data support a role of the IGF-I/insulin system in the modulation of human aging process.

Growing evidence indicates a key role of the IGF-I/IGF-IR system in regulating glucose metabolism by influencing β-cell function and insulin sensitivity [36]. IGF-I increases insulin sensitivity not only through its GH-suppressive effects but also by a direct activation of insulin receptor and IGF-IR [37-39]. In the present study, low IGF-I bioactivity in centenarians’ offspring was inversely associated to insulin sensitivity, confirming previous data described in elderly [26] and healthy subjects [28]. This relationship remained after corrections for age, gender and BMI. In addition, centenarians showed a 2-fold higher insulin sensitivity and comparable glucose levels than their younger offspring, despite a lower circulating IGF-I bioactivity, which confirms previous studies reporting that centenarians have lower insulin levels but a better insulin action and glucose tolerance than relatively younger individuals [40, 41].

How do they manage that?

#3 DR01D

• 193 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

I think they're saying that insulin sensitivity is very high in centenarians but not necessarily in young people predisposed to become centenarians. So this suggests that IS increases with age.

However IGF-1 tends to be low in centenarians and young people predisposed to become centenarians. So it's always low.

As an aside i've heard that IGF-1 might only be significant while an animal is growing. Once an animal reaches maturity high or low IGF-1 doesn't have a huge impact on maximum lifespan. I wish I had a link handy for that.

Edited by DR01D, 04 December 2012 - 09:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users