Photo
- - - - -

Quercetin activates Sirt1 in vivo

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:49 AM

Well, looks like we've got a bit of news in the science world. Check out this study currently in press (accepted, but not printed yet). Quercetin increases brain and muscle mitochondrial biogenesis and exercise tolerance.

Let me post some excerpts (they are using "Male ICR mice, 8 weeks of age", btw):

"Quercetin feeding for 7 days resulted in an increase in PGC-1α (Figure 1A) and
SIRT1 mRNA (Figure 1B) in slow-twitch muscle and in the brain (P<0.05). We found
approximately a 100% increase in PGC-1α gene expression in the soleus muscle with both doses
of quercetin and a 50% and 100% increase in the brain following 12.5mg/Kg and 25mg/Kg
quercetin, respectively (Figure 1A). SIRT1 expression increased almost 200% in the muscle
with both doses of quercetin and by 50% and 100% in the brain following 12.5mg/Kg and
25mg/Kg quercetin, respectively (Figure 1B)."

Firstly, we see quite vividly the activation of Sirt1, as PGC-1alpha was doubled in abundance - and its abundance is directly controlled by Sirt1 activity as we've seen for resveratrol (blocking of Sirt1 activation of PGC-1alpha abolishes many of resveratrol's effects, for instance. PGC-1alpha is an essential step in the pathways activated by resveratrol and now quercetin).

"Mitochondrial DNA Content
The relative amount of soleus muscle and brain mtDNA was determined using RT-PCR.
Using cytochrome b as the target gene for mtDNA and β-actin as the internal control for nuclear
DNA, relative mitochondrial number was determined by an increase in copy number of mtDNA
per diploid nuclear genome. mtDNA was approximately doubled in the muscle and brain
following 7 days of feedings with the 25mg/Kg dose of quercetin (P<0.05), but there was no
change with the 12.5mg/Kg dose (Figure 2)."

As expected, mitochondrial biogenesis is stimulated, just as with resveratrol. Both quercetin and resveratrol are working through the same pathways here at least. This proves quite nicely that quercetin does not inhibit Sirt1, for which there has been no evidence in vitro, or in vivo, that I know of. Only with a fluor de lyse Sirt1 assay system (not using whole cells, but recombinant Sirt1) and a quercetin metabolite - a system that has been proven to give completely false results; as with resveratrol where that system showed direct binding to Sirt1, but then it was later proven that resveratrol does not bind Sirt1 and it was an artifact caused by the fluor de lyse fluorophore interacting with resveratrol (thus my hypothesis that it acts through Nampt).

Yes, there is no evidence that quercetin inhibits Sirt1 (that I know of), but instead was one of the two molecules screened out back in the day as a Sirt1 activator, with resveratrol being the other. And here we see in vivo absolutely that quercetin does not inhibit Sirt1, but is activating it apparently (we see this elsewhere too). How it's doing its activation though is an unknown.

"Treadmill Performance (Maximal Endurance Capacity)
In order to test the effects of quercetin on maximal running capacity, mice were fed
quercetin (12.5mg/Kg or 25mg/Kg) or placebo for 7 days prior to the run to fatigue; for these
experiments, the treadmill was operated at a fixed speed and grade (36m/min; 8% grade) Short-term
feedings of both doses of quercetin were associated with increased exercise capacity
(Figure 4) (P<0.05). The 12.5mg/Kg dose increased run time by 36% and the 25mg/Kg dose by
37%."

Again as expected, stamina increased, like we saw with resveratrol, once more suggesting the same pathways are activated by both to some degree.

Now, quercetin is different from resveratrol. Though they have many overlapping effects in vivo, they also have differing effects, and quercetin especially is known to have other roles than activating Sirt1 (Nampt?). For instance, from the paper:

"Quercetin, like caffeine, has been shown to be
an adenosine A1 receptor antagonist in vitro (1) and in vivo (unpublished data from our
laboratory) which is at least partially responsible for the psychostimulant and ergogenic effects
of caffeine (1, 5, 7, 9). Therefore, in addition to its effects on mitochondrial biogenesis,
quercetin may enhance exercise tolerance through its activity as an adenosine A1 receptor
antagonist in the brain."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the reason for posting this is to show we don't need to worry about taking resveratrol and quercetin together. In fact, the two have been shown to be powerful synergizers. Moreover, quercetin is quite potent at inhibiting the metabolizing enzymes that target resveratrol (though some percentage of deconjugation of resveratrol during uptake into living cells means it is hard to estimate what the real impact of those metabolism enzymes on resveratrol bioavailability is), theoretically increasing resveratrol's bioavailability significantly. Now we can expect the two to work together in Sirt1 and PGC-1alpha activation.

From reading the literature, I do not believe quercetin is near as potent as resveratrol. It appears resveratrol may be far more potent at kicking on the pathways than quercetin in absolute terms, in that resveratrol gives longer lasting, more consistant and profound physiological benefits in vivo, than quercetin does. This may reflect different start points in the activation of the Sirt1 pathways, and/or additional pathways. Quercetin for sure has other pathways by which it affects the body, as the final quote from that paper illustrated. Furthermore, quercetin has not been shown to mimic CR, as far as I know, again differentiating it away from resveratrol - also again implying quercetin acts farther down the pathway while resveratrol acts higher up (Nampt) where more branches of other pathways will be activated. That doesn't mean quercetin won't also mimic CR, as there is now a chance for that, but it has not been observed, as far as I know.

Quercetin is no replacement for resveratrol. But together, much greater benefits than either alone may be gained, this data suggests. Until we have actual in vivo studies with both of them specifically, we cannot know absolutely, but all evidence points that way so far.

Edited by geddarkstorm, 18 February 2009 - 04:48 AM.

• Informative x 1

#2 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:51 AM

Well, looks like we've got a bit of news in the science world. Check out this study currently in press (accepted, but not printed yet). Quercetin increases brain and muscle mitochondrial biogenesis and exercise tolerance.

Let me post some excerpts (they are using "Male ICR mice, 8 weeks of age", btw):

"Quercetin feeding for 7 days resulted in an increase in PGC-1α (Figure 1A) and
SIRT1 mRNA (Figure 1B) in slow-twitch muscle and in the brain (P<0.05). We found
approximately a 100% increase in PGC-1α gene expression in the soleus muscle with both doses
of quercetin and a 50% and 100% increase in the brain following 12.5mg/Kg and 25mg/Kg
quercetin, respectively (Figure 1A). SIRT1 expression increased almost 200% in the muscle
with both doses of quercetin and by 50% and 100% in the brain following 12.5mg/Kg and
25mg/Kg quercetin, respectively (Figure 1B)."

Firstly, we see quite vividly the activation of Sirt1, as PGC-1alpha was doubled in abundance - and its abundance is directly controlled by Sirt1 activity as we've seen for resveratrol (blocking of Sirt1 activation of PGC-1alpha abolishes many of resveratrol's effects, for instance. PGC-1alpha is an essential step in the pathways activated by resveratrol and now quercetin).

"Mitochondrial DNA Content
The relative amount of soleus muscle and brain mtDNA was determined using RT-PCR.
Using cytochrome b as the target gene for mtDNA and β-actin as the internal control for nuclear
DNA, relative mitochondrial number was determined by an increase in copy number of mtDNA
per diploid nuclear genome. mtDNA was approximately doubled in the muscle and brain
following 7 days of feedings with the 25mg/Kg dose of quercetin (P<0.05), but there was no
change with the 12.5mg/Kg dose (Figure 2)."

As expected, mitochondrial biogenesis is stimulated, just as with resveratrol. Both quercetin and resveratrol are working through the same pathways here at least. This proves quite nicely that quercetin does not inhibit Sirt1, for which there has been no evidence in vitro, or in vivo, that I know of. Only with a fluor de lyse Sirt1 assay system (not using whole cells, but recombinant Sirt1) and a quercetin metabolite - a system that has been proven to give completely false results; as with resveratrol where that system showed direct binding to Sirt1, but then it was later proven that resveratrol does not bind Sirt1 and it was an artifact caused by the fluor de lyse fluorophore interacting with resveratrol (thus my hypothesis that it acts through Nampt).

Yes, there is no evidence that quercetin inhibits Sirt1 (that I know of), but instead was one of the two molecules screened out back in the day as a Sirt1 activator, with resveratrol being the other. And here we see in vivo absolutely that quercetin does not inhibit Sirt1, but is activating it apparently (we see this elsewhere too). How it's doing its activation though is an unknown.

"Treadmill Performance (Maximal Endurance Capacity)
In order to test the effects of quercetin on maximal running capacity, mice were fed
quercetin (12.5mg/Kg or 25mg/Kg) or placebo for 7 days prior to the run to fatigue; for these
experiments, the treadmill was operated at a fixed speed and grade (36m/min; 8% grade) Short-term
feedings of both doses of quercetin were associated with increased exercise capacity
(Figure 4) (P<0.05). The 12.5mg/Kg dose increased run time by 36% and the 25mg/Kg dose by
37%."

Again as expected, stamina increased, like we saw with resveratrol, once more suggesting the same pathways are activated by both to some degree.

Now, quercetin is different from resveratrol. Though they have many overlapping effects in vivo, they also have differing effects, and quercetin especially is known to have other roles than activating Sirt1 (Nampt?). For instance, from the paper:

"Quercetin, like caffeine, has been shown to be
an adenosine A1 receptor antagonist in vitro (1) and in vivo (unpublished data from our
laboratory) which is at least partially responsible for the psychostimulant and ergogenic effects
of caffeine (1, 5, 7, 9). Therefore, in addition to its effects on mitochondrial biogenesis,
quercetin may enhance exercise tolerance through its activity as an adenosine A1 receptor
antagonist in the brain."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the reason for posting this is to show we don't need to worry about taking resveratrol and quercetin together. In fact, the two have been shown to be powerful synergizers. Moreover, quercetin is quite potent at inhibiting the metabolizing enzymes that target resveratrol (though some percentage of deconjugation of resveratrol during uptake into living cells means it is hard to estimate what the real impact of those metabolism enzymes on resveratrol bioavailability is), theoretically increasing resveratrol's bioavailability significantly. Now we can expect the two to work together in Sirt1 and PGC-1alpha activation.

From reading the literature, I do not believe quercetin is near as potent as resveratrol. It appears resveratrol may be far more potent at kicking on the pathways than quercetin in absolute terms, in that resveratrol gives longer lasting, more consistant and profound physiological benefits in vivo, than quercetin does. This may reflect different start points in the activation of the Sirt1 pathways, and/or additional pathways. Quercetin for sure has other pathways by which it affects the body, as the final quote from that paper illustrated. Furthermore, quercetin has not been shown to mimic CR, as far as I know, again differentiating it away from resveratrol - also again implying quercetin acts farther down the pathway while resveratrol acts higher up (Nampt) where more branches of other pathways will be activated. That doesn't mean quercetin won't also mimic CR, as there is now a chance for that, but it has not been observed, as far as I know.

Quercetin is no replacement for resveratrol. But together, much greater benefits than either alone may be gained, this data suggests. Until we have actual in vivo studies with both of them specifically, we cannot know absolutely, but all evidence points that way so far.

Thanks for the info and analysis. Well done.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:12 AM

This is excellent news. I always suspected that quercetin couldn't have been inhibiting sirt1 in vivo. The adenosine A1 receptor antagonism helps explain why it was interfering with my sleep, along with its COMT inhibition, of course. That stuff has a really long half-life, does it not?

Thanks for the update, geddarkstorm.

#4 suspire

• 583 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:30 AM

I'll second that: Thanks for both the studies and the analysis, geddarkstorm.

#5 geddarkstorm

• Topic Starter
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

This is excellent news. I always suspected that quercetin couldn't have been inhibiting sirt1 in vivo. The adenosine A1 receptor antagonism helps explain why it was interfering with my sleep, along with its COMT inhibition, of course. That stuff has a really long half-life, does it not?

Thanks for the update, geddarkstorm.

Yes indeed. That paper reported a plasma half life of 6-12 hours (that's some serious variability, heh). I've seen studies in humans that shows a plasma half life of 16 hours. It seems to reach a steady state, however, and taking some every day does not cause it to accrue beyond some point, depending on the repeated dosage, as we've seen in human studies.

#6 AHE

• 20 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:24 AM

Very interesting news.
Question:

Does anyone have experience with Quercetin giving an energy boost?

Has anyone used or heard of Quercetin soluble (Quercetin Chalcone)?
Any information about its effects in this regard?

Thanks.

#7 alexd

• 106 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

Very interesting news.
Question:

Does anyone have experience with Quercetin giving an energy boost?

Has anyone used or heard of Quercetin soluble (Quercetin Chalcone)?
Any information about its effects in this regard?

Thanks.

I had seen an article in Wired.com about the army looking into increasing Mitrochondria. One scientist stated that quercetin taken simultaneously with b vitamins would boost the number of mitrochondria. He also stated that green tea would have an optimal brewing time of 6 minutes to release the max of Quercetin. I take a dose of sub lingual b vitamins along with approx 14 oz of green tea. A definite energy boost with no obvious side affects. As far as my mitrochondria goes that is unknown. I do take large amounts of resveratrol too. One thing I have noticed is that aerobic exercise is a lot easier than it was before I started these supplements.

#8 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

I've been taking my resveratrol caps during my fasting periods, because from what I understand res should promote autophagy (as does fasting). I'm also taking my quercetin at the same time, but it says on the label it should be taken with a meal.

Do you have any suggestions on when to take resveratrol and quercetin? Together or separately, with or without meals?

#9 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

I've been taking my resveratrol caps during my fasting periods, because from what I understand res should promote autophagy (as does fasting). I'm also taking my quercetin at the same time, but it says on the label it should be taken with a meal.

Do you have any suggestions on when to take resveratrol and quercetin? Together or separately, with or without meals?

Who are you asking?

Quercetin is usually combined with bromelain in supplements, and the latter can cause stomach irritation if not taken with food. By itself, quercetin should cause no problems. One study showed resveratrol was better absorbed on an empty stomach as measured by blood serum levels.

Combining resveratrol and quercetin? Their actions overlap, but may not be complementary for some purposes. I found resveratrol's favorable effects on arthritis disappeared if I added quercetin or luteolin (a similar phytochemical*) to my daily or twice daily resveratrol. I also found I had a better response with resveratrol taken in the morning, rather than evening dosing. Currently I am experimenting with taking 50 mg of luteolin in the evening, 400 mg of resveratrol in the morning. I cannot say this is a proven regimen, but there are reasons to believe, based on studies, that this might give better results than other methods and combinations.

* luteolin and quercetin differ by a single OH on one of the rings. They are similar in structure and effect,but the sulfotransferase inhibiton of luteolin is an order of magnitude greater than that of quercetin. It is not as well studied.

#10 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

geddarkstorm:

thanks for the posting and thoughtful commentary. two questions:

1. how many times were the mice given the 12 mg/kg or 25 mg/kg dose per day? Human Equivalent Dose at 70 kg would be 68 mg and 142 mg, respectively.

2. what confused me is that there was no change in mtDNA in the muscle/brain associated with 12 mg/kg dose (but a doubling in mtDNA for the 25 mg/kg dose), yet both doses achieved a near 36-37% increase in exercise/stamina measured in the treadmill test. how do you reconcile this discrepancy? do the authors comment on this?

3. as you have looked at this issue, do you have a personal perspective on the proper dose for a human in mg/kg ? i guess i just wonder where you sort of come out in prospective regimen of quercetin, resveratrol, etc.

always look forward to your insight on these forums.

regards

-pro

Edited by prophets, 15 April 2009 - 01:26 PM.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:49 AM

1. how many times were the mice given the 12 mg/kg or 25 mg/kg dose per day? Human Equivalent Dose at 70 kg would be 68 mg and 142 mg, respectively.

I've never seen mg/kg used in such contexts that didn't contain an explicit or implied "per day" unit. It's probably that. The Human Equivalent Dose factor of 12 is used for safety studies in drugs that have never been in humans, but isn't really intended to predict the dose required for an equivalent pharmacological effect. From comparisons of serum levels obtained in both rodents and humans with resveratrol, I would expect the factor needed to predict an equivalent effect to be significantly smaller. (Quercetin and resveratrol are metabolically similar.) In other words, the dose needed for mitochondrial biogenesis in humans is likely to be quite a bit larger.

#12 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

(Quercetin and resveratrol are metabolically similar.) In other words, the dose needed for mitochondrial biogenesis in humans is likely to be quite a bit larger.

niner, Are you taking 100mg of quercetin per 100mg of resveratrol? If so, do you take both at the same time?

#13 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:25 AM

So, what would be a good dose of quercetin to take in the evening? I am taking 2 grams of resveratrol in the morning.

Edited by steelheader, 22 April 2009 - 01:25 AM.

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:36 AM

(Quercetin and resveratrol are metabolically similar.) In other words, the dose needed for mitochondrial biogenesis in humans is likely to be quite a bit larger.

niner, Are you taking 100mg of quercetin per 100mg of resveratrol? If so, do you take both at the same time?

At the moment I'm taking neither. I took resveratrol for about a year, but when I ran out of my large supply, I didn't reorder due to a combination of fiscal constraint and concern about the tendon issue. Then inertia took its course. I'll probably start taking it again sometime. I like some of the gene expression data. I don't know about quercetin. It has its own set of pluses and minuses. It's pretty ubiquitous in my diet already, and has the same PK problems as all the other polyphenols, at least in humans. No major plans to supplement it in the near future. If I was taking them both, I might take them at the same time in order to improve the PK of the resveratrol via quercetin's reportedly potent inhibition of glucuronidation. I haven't really researched the full extent of quercetin / resveratrol interactions lately, though.

#15 marvin

• 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

How much Quercetin do you suggest we take with Resveratrol? i.e. what is the Quercetin to Resveratrol ratio when dosing.

Thanks,

Marvin

#16 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

How much Quercetin do you suggest we take with Resveratrol? i.e. what is the Quercetin to Resveratrol ratio when dosing.

Thanks,

Marvin

I suggest you do not take it with resveratrol. Inhibition of sulfonation is much more efficiently accomplished with luteolin.

#17 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:23 AM

Thanks,

Marvin

I suggest you do not take it with resveratrol. Inhibition of sulfonation is much more efficiently accomplished with luteolin.

So are you saying it's better to not take quercetin at all, or just that given the choice between luteolin and quercetin, go for luteolin?

#18 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

Thanks,

Marvin

So are you saying it's better to not take quercetin at all, or just that given the choice between luteolin and quercetin, go for luteolin?

I would go for luteolin, but my experience is adding quercetin or luteolin to resveratrol increases the risk of tendintis or joint pain.

#19 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Human study:

Quercetin's influence on exercise performance and muscle mitochondrial biogenesis.

Nieman DC, Williams AS, Shanely RA, Jin F, McAnulty SR, Triplett NT, Austin MD, Henson DA.
Source

Department of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC 28608, USA. niemandc@appstate.edu

Abstract

PURPOSE:
To determine the influence of 2 wk of quercetin (Q; 1000 mg x d(-1)) compared with placebo (P) supplementation on exercise performance and skeletal muscle mitochondrial biogenesis in untrained, young adult males (N = 26, age = 20.2 +/- 0.4 yr, VO2max = 46.3 +/- 1.2 mL x kg(-1) x min(-1)).

METHODS:
Using a randomized, crossover design with a 2-wk washout period, subjects provided blood and muscle biopsy samples presupplementation and postsupplementation periods and were given 12-min time trials on 15% graded treadmills after 60 min of moderate exercise preloads at 60% VO2max.

RESULTS:
Plasma Q levels rose significantly in Q versus P during the 2-wk supplementation period (interaction P value <0.001). During the 12-min trial, the net change in distance achieved was significantly greater during Q (2.9%) compared with P (-1.2%; 29.5 +/- 11.5 vs -11.9 +/- 16.0 m, respectively, P = 0.038). Skeletal muscle messenger RNA expression tended to increase (range = 16-25%) during Q versus P for sirtuin 1 (interaction effect, P = 0.152), peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1alpha (P = 0.192), cytochrome c oxidase (P = 0.081), and citrate synthase (P = 0.166). Muscle mitochondrial DNA (relative copy number per diploid nuclear genome) increased 140 +/- 154 (4.1%) with Q compared with -225 +/- 157 (6.0% decrease) with P (P = 0.098).

CONCLUSIONS:
In summary, 1000 mg x d(-1) Q versus P for 2 wk by untrained males was associated with a small but significant improvement in 12-min treadmill time trial performance and modest but insignificant increases in the relative copy number of mitochondrial DNA and messenger RNA levels of four genes related to mitochondrial biogenesis.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

probably via ppar-gamma agonism.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users