- - - - -

Gray hair - Our Hair Bleaches Itself As We Grow Older

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:06 AM

http://www.fasebj.or.../fj.08-125435v1

Senile graying of human hair has been the subject of intense research since ancient times. Reactive oxygen species have been implicated in hair follicle melanocyte apoptosis and DNA damage. Here we show for the first time by FT-Raman spectroscopy in vivo that human gray/white scalp hair shafts accumulate hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) in millimolar concentrations. Moreover, we demonstrate almost absent catalase and methionine sulfoxide reductase A and B protein expression via immunofluorescence and Western blot in association with a functional loss of methionine sulfoxide (Met-S=O) repair in the entire gray hair follicle. Accordingly, Met-S=O formation of Met residues, including Met 374 in the active site of tyrosinase, the key enzyme in melanogenesis, limits enzyme functionality, as evidenced by FT-Raman spectroscopy, computer simulation, and enzyme kinetics, which leads to gradual loss of hair color. Notably, under in vitro conditions, Met oxidation can be prevented by L-methionine. In summary, our data feed the long-voiced, but insufficiently proven, concept of H2O2-induced oxidative damage in the entire human hair follicle, inclusive of the hair shaft, as a key element in senile hair graying, which does not exclusively affect follicle melanocytes. This new insight could open new strategies for intervention and reversal of the hair graying process.—Wood, J. M., Decker, H., Hartmann, H., Chavan, B., Rokos, H., Spencer, J. D., Hasse, S., Thornton, M. J., Shalbaf, M., Paus, R., Schallreuter, K. U. Senile hair graying: H2O2-mediated oxidative stress affects human hair color by blunting methionine sulfoxide repair.

http://www.scienceda...90223131123.htm

Going gray is caused by a massive build up of hydrogen peroxide due to wear and tear of our hair follicles. The peroxide winds up blocking the normal synthesis of melanin, our hair's natural pigment.

"Not only blondes change their hair color with hydrogen peroxide," said Gerald Weissmann, MD, Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "All of our hair cells make a tiny bit of hydrogen peroxide, but as we get older, this little bit becomes a lot. We bleach our hair pigment from within, and our hair turns gray and then white. This research, however, is an important first step to get at the root of the problem, so to speak."

The researchers made this discovery by examining cell cultures of human hair follicles. They found that the build up of hydrogen peroxide was caused by a reduction of an enzyme that breaks up hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen (catalase). They also discovered that hair follicles could not repair the damage caused by the hydrogen peroxide because of low levels of enzymes that normally serve this function (MSR A and B). Further complicating matters, the high levels of hydrogen peroxide and low levels of MSR A and B, disrupt the formation of an enzyme (tyrosinase) that leads to the production of melanin in hair follicles. Melanin is the pigment responsible for hair color, skin color, and eye color. The researchers speculate that a similar breakdown in the skin could be the root cause of vitiligo.

#2 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:25 AM

Fantastic discovery... If the state of stem cells in the hair follicle are a surrogate aging marker for the rest of the stem cell niches in the body then it means grey = f*cked.. Lol..
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

When your hair turns grey has nothing to do with aging in other aspects. Some people get grey hair in their 20's and still live to 80 and beyond
  • like x 1

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,981 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

Good point Victor. I am thinking early-grey people might have a slight genetic difference than others, something that allows this H2O2 stress to occur in hair follicles but not other parts of the body. Just a thought.

Wondering how this relates to the stress (social, physical, psychological)=grey hair phenomena (if it is more than an old wive's tale). I have subjectively noticed this happen in some of my friends. Their hair seemed to go grey faster when they encountered more stress in life.

#5 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:18 AM

So we need an anti-oxidant shampoo that could penetrate the follicle to help arrest going gray?

#6 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

What causes adolescent blonds to get darker hair as they develop into adults?

#7 nbourbaki

• 106 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:25 AM

So we need an anti-oxidant shampoo that could penetrate the follicle to help arrest going gray?

It would appear that we have a better understand the mechinism by which hair turns gray, we still don't understand why the body builds up an over expression hydrogen peroxide. It could be as the authors of the study suggests that the hair follicule wear and tear is the culprit or it could be the body's natural anti-cancer defense of a cell that is worn out. I think we need to know more about what happens when you artificially change the balance before intervening with a shampoo. Don't get me wrong, I've been going gray since my mid forties and I would love to safely return my hair color to it's natural color, I just don't want to trade hair color for skin cancer.

#8 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

What causes adolescent blonds to get darker hair as they develop into adults?

I am curious about this as well - I was blonde until my teens when my hair darkened to a light / sandy brown. My conjecture is that hair color is similar to eye color, in that it is controlled by several different genes that change expression over the course of an individual's lifespan.

The genetic basis for eye color is actually far more
complex. At the present, three gene pairs controlling human eye color are
known. Two of the gene pairs occur on chromosome pair 15 and one occurs on
chromosome pair 19. The bey 2 gene, on chromosome 15, has a brown and a
blue allele. A second gene, located on chromosome 19 (the gey gene) has a
blue and a green allele. A third gene, bey 1, located on chromosome 15, is
a central brown eye color gene. Geneticists have designed a model using the
bey 2 and gey gene pairs that explains the inheritance of blue, green and
brown eyes. In this model the bey 2 gene has a brown and a blue allele. The
brown allele is always dominant over the blue allele so even if a person is
heterozygous (one brown and one blue allele) for the bey 2 gene on
chromosome 15 the brown allele will be expressed. The gey gene also has two
alleles, one green and one blue. The green allele is dominant to the blue
allele on either chromosome but is recessive to the brown allele on
chromosome 15. This means that there is a dominance order among the two
gene pairs.If a person has a brown allele on chromosome 15 and all other
alleles are blue or green the person will have brown eyes. If there is a
green allele on chromosome 19 and the rest of the alleles are blue, eye
color will be green. Blue eyes will occur only if all four alleles are for
blue eyes. This model explains the inheritance of blue, brown and green
eyes but cannot account for gray, hazel or multiple shades of brown, blue,
green and gray eyes. It cannot explain how two blue-eyed parents can
produce a brown-eyed child or how eye color can change over time. This
suggests that there are other genes, yet to be discovered, that determine
eye color or that modify the expression of the known eye color genes.

Source:
http://www.madsci.or...48094.Ge.r.html

Further reading: Gene expression and blonde hair / Babies may be born with blonde hair even among groups where adults rarely have blonde hair
http://www.gnxp.com/...-antipodals.php

Edited by shawn57187, 26 February 2009 - 07:19 PM.

• like x 1

#9 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

Calorie Restriction I think significantly increases Catalase levels, this might explain why CR animals grey far later in life than non CR'd.

Edited by Matt, 01 March 2009 - 10:15 PM.

#10 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

Has anyone found a catalase solution you could apply like a kind of hair tonic? Some lens cleaning systems use a two step cleaning procedure. One containing hydrogen peroxide to kill bacteria, the other containing catalase to neutralize the peroxide. What about splashing the neutralizing solution on your scalp? He he, don't laugh!. Testing it for 6 months should be enough to know if it works! But of course painting your hair would be faster!

The more profound question is of course, how to raise catalase levels in the body.

#11 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

Has anyone found a catalase solution you could apply like a kind of hair tonic? Some lens cleaning systems use a two step cleaning procedure. One containing hydrogen peroxide to kill bacteria, the other containing catalase to neutralize the peroxide. What about splashing the neutralizing solution on your scalp? He he, don't laugh!. Testing it for 6 months should be enough to know if it works! But of course painting your hair would be faster!

The more profound question is of course, how to raise catalase levels in the body.

I found a shampoo that contains a catalase solution, but the source mentioning the shampoo flagged the product as being carcinogenic.

The product is Nioxin Bionutrient Protective Cleanser. I'm not sure if the catalase mentioned in the ingredients list is the same as that mentioned in the study or if application in the form of a shampoo would even be effective.

Here is the warning for catalase.

My guess is that following this study there will be several products developed with the intent of raising catalase levels. We'll just have to wait and see..

Edited by shawn57187, 06 March 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#12 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

I found this:

Research is not clear on whether supplementation is effective. Catalase is one of 4 naturally produced free-radical fighters that protect against cell damage. Catalase, along with the other 3 - superoxide dimutase, methionine reductase, and glutothione peroxidase- are all available i supplement form. The catch is, these oral catalase and other free-radical fighting supplements may be digested rather than absorbed into the cells to do their work. Vitaminstuff recommends that it may be more effective to supplement the minerals that the body uses to create catalase and its compatriots - zinc, manganese, copper and selenium- rather than to rely on catalase, superoxide dimutase, methionine reductase or glutothione peroxidase supplementation.

What if someone combined the catalase supplement with something that enabled it to have a trans dermal capability (like Dimethyl sulfoxide) and applied it to their scalp? Sounds risky, and I certainly wouldn't want to be the first to try it on my head (too close to my brain), but perhaps on a skin region with gray body hair like the chest. Any takers? I'm still too young to have gray hair so I'm disqualified from testing.

#13 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

I found a shampoo that contains a catalase solution, but the source mentioning the shampoo flagged the product as being carcinogenic.

The product is Nioxin Bionutrient Protective Cleanser. I'm not sure if the catalase mentioned in the ingredients list is the same as that mentioned in the study or if application in the form of a shampoo would even be effective.

Here is the warning for catalase.

My guess is that following this study there will be several products developed with the intent of raising catalase levels. We'll just have to wait and see..

Skindeep has a datagap of 82% on catalase meaning no meaningfull toxicity study. Because it is used as as a solution for contact lens care it would be directly in contact with the eye of millions of people. Besides it is plentifull in the liver and other organs..hard to believe it would be toxic or give you cancer. Lower than normal levels of catalase has been found in cancer tissues and zero-catalase mice had an 82 percent incidence of breast cancer. Anyone has evidence the stuff is toxic in any form?

#14 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:15 PM

Anyone has evidence the stuff is toxic in any form?

I found a study that seems to indicate a over-abundance of extra-cellular catalase can mimic the effects of hypoxia. Granted the study was done in-vitro, it seems like if this reaction occurred in-vivo, it could potentially have toxic side effects. Maybe someone could clarify for me?

Other sources I have seen seem to indicate the catalase is safe to supplement.

I've been searching around Pubmed and it appears that combining DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) with catalase could be a safe method of delivery. DMSO by itself has low toxicity and may actually provide some antioxidant capability.

In this study, catalase was administered with DMSO.

I have no idea as to what doses would be required, and the quality of the catalase would likely need to be very pure. Furthermore, catalase may be insufficient to return hair to its original color, so Methionine Sulfoxide Reductase A and B enzymes would likely need to be added to the formulation.

The more I think about it, the more it seems that animal studies need to be done before this comes anywhere near humans.

Edited by shawn57187, 06 March 2009 - 10:25 PM.

#15 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:09 AM

I found a study that seems to indicate a over-abundance of extra-cellular catalase can mimic the effects of hypoxia. Granted the study was done in-vitro, it seems like if this reaction occurred in-vivo, it could potentially have toxic side effects. Maybe someone could clarify for me?

I've been searching around Pubmed and it appears that combining DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) with catalase could be a safe method of delivery. DMSO by itself has low toxicity and may actually provide some antioxidant capability.

I have no idea as to what doses would be required, and the quality of the catalase would likely need to be very pure. Furthermore, catalase may be insufficient to return hair to its original color, so Methionine Sulfoxide Reductase A and B enzymes would likely need to be added to the formulation.

The more I think about it, the more it seems that animal studies need to be done before this comes anywhere near humans.

Catalase is very very potent in its ability to neutralize hydroxide peroxide. Methionine Sulfoxide Reductase A and B is probably low because H2O2 deactivates them. So it may be enough to use catalase unless I'm missing something.

The study where catalase supposedly mimicked hypoxia was done on heart muscle cells where hypoxia can kill you. There appears to be H2O2 in over abundance on the greying scalp. the study on the heart muscle cells also showed that hypoxia is much atenuated if pre treated with H2O2.

"In addition, both the effect of catalase and the effect of hypoxia could be attenuated when cells were preexposed to H2O2 "

I don't think there is any danger. Again hypoxia is not occuring in people wearing lenses. Additionally it looks like it is good for the aging skin.

"In addition, treating primary dermal fibroblasts from photoaged skin with catalase reduced H2O2 levels, reversed aging-dependent MAP kinase changes, and inhibited matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-1 expression. Our results indicate that the accumulation of reactive oxygen species due to catalase attenuation may be a critical aspect of the MAP kinase signaling changes that may lead to skin aging and photoaging in human skin in vivo. "

http://www.nature.co...l/5603472a.html

Edited by 100YearsToGo, 07 March 2009 - 02:23 AM.

#16 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:12 AM

In the above experiment, the catalase was applied to fish erythrocytes in vitro, and didn't have to go through skin. Even with DMSO, I doubt that catalase could be delivered transdermally. The kinds of molecules that get absorbed through skin are small and nonpolar, but catalase is large and polar. It makes sense that nature wouldn't want random proteins entering our system. You might have better luck with something like lipoic acid. I think that Matt has a good answer: upregulate catalase by CR.

Edited by niner, 07 March 2009 - 03:13 AM.

#17 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

I think that Matt has a good answer: upregulate catalase by CR.

I think the decline in catalase production is related to changes in the aging human microbiome.

Catalase Production by Lactobacilli
http://www.nature.co...s/178700a0.html

Human Microbiome project:

http://nihroadmap.nih.gov/hmp/

http://www.homd.org/...oraltaxonid=763

Shawn:

From your quote

Catalase is one of 4 naturally produced free-radical fighters that protect against cell damage. Catalase, along with the other 3 - superoxide dimutase, methionine reductase, and glutothione peroxidase-

I wonder if in fact we should research which species in the human microbiome produce these enzymes. If this idea proves valid rejuvenating the human microbiome holds incredible potential to restore hair color and significantly reduce free radical damage throughout the bodies systems and organs.

Here is a good and thought provoking article about the human microbiome:

http://bacteriality..../27/microbiome/

Yes, the human microbiome is incredibly complex but with luck we won't need to understand all of that complexity in order to restore order to it.

Edited by caston, 07 March 2009 - 10:15 AM.

#18 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

It seems Ginko extract in an alcohol solution will increase SOD and catalase locally:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9385585

#19 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

I always thought synthetic biology was really fascinating but didn't see how it could fit into life extension. Now i'm starting to see how it could. What if we could make custom bacteria to rejuvenate specific sections of the microbiome and with it their associated organs and components of the system. For instance we could have a catalase producing bacteria operating in the hair follicles under the scalp or indeed every stem cell niche.

Just ignore me if this is not a good idea.

Edited by caston, 07 March 2009 - 03:41 PM.

#20 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

I always thought synthetic biology was really fascinating but didn't see how it could fit into life extension. Now i'm starting to see how it could. What if we could make custom bacteria to rejuvenate specific sections of the microbiome and with it their associated organs and components of the system. For instance we could have a catalase producing bacteria operating in the hair follicles under the scalp or indeed every stem cell niche.

Just ignore me if this is not a good idea.

I won't ignore you but Catalase is most abundantly stored in the peroxisome and is used when necessary to breakdown H202. The perixome cannot produce catalase but must import it from the the cytoplasm. It apparently also gets some during biogenesis. This of course has little to do with bacteria as far as I can see.

#21 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:47 PM

Is there any bacteria in the healthy human cytoplasm? excluding the mitochondria of course

Where does the biosynthesis of Catalese take place and what makes it?

Or -slightly different but related question -
If peroxisome stores Catalese from the cytoplasm... how does it get into the cytoplasm?

http://www.biomedexp...ochemical_study

Edited by caston, 08 March 2009 - 06:51 AM.

#22 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:37 AM

Is there any bacteria in the healthy human cytoplasm? excluding the mitochondria of course

OK I've been able to answer one of my own questions

So by sequencing only human genes, the Human Genome Project has failed to take into account a vast number of bacterial genes that also have the potential to affect the progression of human disease. The fact that many researchers are interpreting genetic data while leaving bacterial genomes and bacteria in general out of the picture is a serious issue.

This is because many of the chronic bacteria we harbor are intraphagocytic - meaning they have developed the ability to live inside the nuclei of our cells. Such pathogens thrive in the cytoplasm, or the liquid surrounding the cellular organelles that allow for DNA replication and repair.

http://bacteriality..../27/microbiome/

Also from that article:

As Marshall and colleagues discussed at the recent “Understanding Aging: Biomedical and Bioengineering Approaches” conference at UCLA, it’s entirely possible that the bacteria we harbor are able to infect our stem cells - cells found in all adult tissues that act as a repair system for the body by replenishing other more specialized cells. But as people age, stem cells often lose their ability to repair and heal. If bacteria infect the stem cells, it has been hypothesized that they may expedite the rate at which they lose their resiliency, thus accelerating the aging process.

So how would hostile intraphagocytic bacteria affect greying of the hair? It would be interesting to see how much good (or bad) a Marshall protocol treatment of hair follicles would do for us.

Edited by caston, 08 March 2009 - 07:36 AM.

#23 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

I have read that DSMO gives you garlic breath. Not sure which is worse: Garlic Breath or Gray Hair?

#24 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

Here is another article (actually a grant) I found on novoseek. They link an environmental pollutant to increased hydrogen peroxide / free radical levels and then to atherosclerosis.

http://www.novoseek......ery= catalase

They want to test this out on mouse models some of which over express Cu/Zn-SOD and/or catalase.

Effect of antioxidant enzymes on BaP-induced atherogenesis.

Benzo[a]pyrene (BaP) is an environmental pollutant. Besides inducing cancers in humans, BaP has been shown to promote the development of atherosclerosis, which is the primary cause of coronary heart disease and stroke. The mechanism underlying the atherogenic action of BaP remains unknown. A currently popular theory postulates atherosclerosis as an inflammatory process driven by reactive oxygen species (ROS), such as superoxide and hydrogen peroxide. BaP has been shown to increase intracellular ROS. Thus, the project described herein hypothesizes that generation of ROS in vascular cells is a key mechanism by which BaP promotes atherogenesis. Our laboratory has generated mouse models that overexpress Cu/Zn-superoxide dismutase (Cu/Zn-SOD) or catalase alone, or both Cu/Zn-SOD and catalase. Cu/Zn-SOD is a protein that converts superoxide to hydrogen peroxide, while catalase destroys hydrogen peroxide by converting it to water. As the relative contribution of different ROS to atherosclerosis might vary, our animal models provided a valuable tool for testing the role of superoxide and hydrogen peroxide in BaP-induced atherosclerosis. The transgenic mice overexpressing Cu/Zn-SOD and/or catalase have been crossbred into the apolipoprotein E (ApoE)-deficient mice, which spontaneously develop atherosclerotic lesions with morphological features closely resembling the atherosclerotic lesions that occur in humans. In this project, the ApoE-deficient mice, with or without overexpression of Cu/Zn-SOD and/or catalase, will be treated with BaP. We will determine: (1) whether overexpression of antioxidant enzymes inhibits BaP-induced atherogenesis and reduces the accumulation of inflammatory cells within the atherosclerotic lesions, (2) whether overexpression of antioxidant enzymes reduces BaP-induced accumulation of oxidized lipids and nitrotyrosine in the arterial wall, and (3) whether overexpression of antioxidant enzymes reduces BaP- induced atherogenic events in vascular cells, and inhibits BaP-induced gene expression and transcriptional factor activation. If our hypothesis described above is correct, BaP-induced atherosclerotic lesions will be smaller in mice overexpressing Cu/Zn-SOD and/or catalase, which will correlate to a decreased oxidative injury in the arterial wall and/or a reduced response of vascular cells to BaP.

Edited by caston, 08 March 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#25 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

Or -slightly different but related question -
If peroxisome stores Catalese from the cytoplasm... how does it get into the cytoplasm?

http://www.biomedexp...ochemical_study

DNA codes for Catalase. The actual synthesis is through the well known mechanism of RNA transcription --> Ribosomes. It seems that 5% of all ribosomes in the liver cells are especifically for catalase synthesis.

http://jb.oxfordjour...stract/71/3/463

#26 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

ellagic acid boosts catalase activity...so shall we wash our hair with pomegranate juice?
I bet that some of the products that boost skin quality also boost catalase activity...dark chocolate, blueberry

Anticancer Res. 2006 Sep-Oct;26(5A):3601-6. Links

Antioxidant and apoptosis-inducing activities of ellagic acid.
Han DH, Lee MJ, Kim JH.Department of Biochemistry, College of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University, Seoul 130-701, Korea.

BACKGROUND: Antioxidant, antiproliferative and apoptosis inducing activities of a natural polyphenolic compound, ellagic acid, were studied. MATERIALS AND METHODS: DPPH radical scavenging and lipid peroxidation inhibitory activities were observed. Activities of antioxidant enzymes, superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX) were measured in ellagic acid-treated V79-4 cells. For apoptotic inducing activity, human osteogenic sarcoma (HOS) cell proliferation, chromosomal DNA degradation and changes in apoptosis-related protein levels were measured. RESULTS: Ellagic acid showed high DPPH radical scavenging and lipid peroxidation inhibition activities. SOD, CAT and GPX activities were significantly increased in ellagic acid-treated V79-4 cells. Ellagic acid significantly reduced HOS cell proliferation, and induced apoptosis evidenced by chromosomal DNA degradation and apoptotic body appearance. Bax expression was induced and caspase-3 was activated by ellagic acid treatment. CONCLUSION: Ellagic acid exhibited both antioxidant activity in V79-4 cells and apoptosis-inducing activity in HOS cells through the up-regulation of Bax and activation of caspase-3.

PMID: 17094489

#27 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:27 AM

DNA codes for Catalase. The actual synthesis is through the well known mechanism of RNA transcription --> Ribosomes. It seems that 5% of all ribosomes in the liver cells are especifically for catalase synthesis.

Thank you. So I could probably find that in any recent cell biology book?

#28 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

Thank you. So I could probably find that in any recent cell biology book?

I dont think " any" biology book would spend a chapter on catalase. But the human gene incoding catalase was isolated back in 1986.

http://www.pubmedcen...gi?artid=311543

#29 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:51 AM

In the above experiment, the catalase was applied to fish erythrocytes in vitro, and didn't have to go through skin. Even with DMSO, I doubt that catalase could be delivered transdermally. The kinds of molecules that get absorbed through skin are small and nonpolar, but catalase is large and polar. It makes sense that nature wouldn't want random proteins entering our system. You might have better luck with something like lipoic acid. I think that Matt has a good answer: upregulate catalase by CR.

What about liposome entrapted catalase? That should be able to get deep into the skin. I actually found a product claiming to do just that. Of course not all liposomes are the same.

http://www.arrowhead...com/sod_cat.htm

#30 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:31 AM

What about liposome entrapted catalase? That should be able to get deep into the skin. I actually found a product claiming to do just that. Of course not all liposomes are the same.

http://www.arrowhead...com/sod_cat.htm

Interesting product. It might work, although I'd like to see some form of evidence that it would get in. This company has a lot of interesting products, although some of them seem to be hovering over quack territory.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users