- - - - -

Human breast milk for adults as an anti aging substance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 David3

• 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:33 AM

Hello,

I've been following this forum for about a month and though I would start participating when I have something to say. Well, yesterday I was listening to lecture by a pediatrician as part of the "school for new parents-to-be" which I am attending.

She mentioned that mother's milk gives more to the child than just nutrients. She briefly mentioned "gene activators" which perform various tasks in the child's body, which got me thinking..
- what exactly does the milk contain
- how does it change in composition from the first milk to a year or even 2 years into breast feeding
- can any human milk perform the same tasks for any child, or is there something unique between each mother and her child
- what effects would drinking human milk bring to an aging adult (if he/she was on it for a year, starting from the first milk - also known as colostrum?)

When I got home I ran into these articles:
Human breast milk suppresses the transcriptional regulation of IL-1-induced NF-B signaling in human intestinal cells
Milk therapy: breast-milk compounds could be a tonic for adult ills
Breast milk contains stem cells
Can Adults Benefit from Drinking Breast Milk?
My guess is human milk probably does more.

While there is no documented evidence specifically on using breast milk in adults, there is however, a real possibility that breast milk compounds could cure cancer. In 1995, scientists at Lund University used a compound found in breast milk called human alpha-lactalbumin to kill brain tumor cells in a test tube. It seemed to have worked. The same research team, in 2004, used the breast milk compound to destroy many warts caused by HPV, creating the possibility that it could be used to treat cancer caused by HPV.

- reference link

I also did a quick search on wikipedia to find a list of countries with the highest lifespan average (ref) and a list of countries where milk consumption is highest (ref) and the list matches. Milk probably doesn't have much to do with it as those are also the world's most developed countires and the milk is not human but rather bovine. Also the milk is mostly processed.

Also I wonder:
- which animal's milk has the most similarity to human milk. I red somewhere that goat's milk is closer to us than bovine. There are probably animals with even "better" milk out there..
- which mammalian (breast feeding) animal has the best immune system? Drinking fresh, unprocessed milk from that animal could maybe bring benefits to humans
- which mammalian animal has the longest lifespan? (I found this on Wikipedia: "A Bowhead Whale killed in a hunt was found to be approximately 211 years old (possibly up to 245 years old), the longest lived mammal known") Researching milk composition from mammals who live longer than humans might bring some good ideas..

I thought I would share my thoughts with you guys.. maybe there is someone who can make something out of this:)

#2 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:57 AM

"What does human milk bring other than nutrition.."

... diarrhea?

-- sorry, couldn't resist
:-D

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

Drinking human milk (by adults) has a lot of stigma attached so I don't think you wil find too much on it. I think it is illegal to trade.

#4 David3

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:48 AM

Drinking human milk (by adults) has a lot of stigma attached so I don't think you wil find too much on it. I think it is illegal to trade.

If found to be very effective then I'm sure in time humans could develop artificial human milk (genetically modifying something, to produce equivalent to human milk). Also when something is proven to be good, it cannot stay "illegal" forever

#5 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

If found to be very effective then I'm sure in time humans could develop artificial human milk (genetically modifying something, to produce equivalent to human milk). Also when something is proven to be good, it cannot stay "illegal" forever

Hm, China usually finds a way to step into these niche markets.

#6 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:31 AM

"I can only imagine how many "double takes" would happen in the grocery isle, if [the] said product was available for purchase... haha."

Edited by Forever21, 20 March 2009 - 03:32 AM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#7 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:00 AM

Some people use bovine colostrum for the health benefits.

I supplement with bovine lactoferrin. If human lactoferrin is any better and was available to me i'd probably use that.
Lactoferrin is a protein that is very effective at bonding to iron. That's good because it makes it harder for bacteria to multiply. I've even heard anecdotal evidence of men seeing improvement in their erection function after starting to use lactoferrin.

There are some studies showing it is effective in encouraging osteoblast formation and helping increase bone mineral density and thus is effective for people with osteopenia. It is primarily anti microbial and anti-fungal.

There are other goodies in colostrum as well but i've never tried them.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Lactoferrin

http://www.osteopeni...teoporosis.html

"Lactoferrin (LF) exhibits antibacterial, anti fungal, antiviral, antiparasitice, and antitumoral activities. It is protective with regard to intestinal epithelium, promotes bone growth, and accelerates the recovery of immune system function in immunocompromised animals." Reference: Postepy Hig Med Dosw.2005 Jun 30;59:309-23.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users