Photo
- - - - -

astragaloside iv and cancer risk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

so i've done a lot of reading on Astragaloside/Astragalus this past week and come to the conclusion that there is pretty significant cancer risk from taking this stuff. it seems to me like:

- extending the life (telomere length) of existing cells through telomerase activation greatly increases the chance of mutations accumulating before programmed death
- if you have a degenerative cardiovascular condition and your risk is cardio (stroke, heart failure, etc.) then astragaloside makes more sense
- a lot of the positive studies seem to either mitigate for cancer risk upfront (ie. mice with increased p53 checkpoint)

anyone who has looked into this issue or people who have taken this stuff on a long-term basis come away w/ similar concerns?

it just seems risky to me to take this stuff for any extended period of time. i'm not a scientist, but that is my consensus view... anyone else look at this stuff or more closely follow Geron/TA/Sierra Sciences and have a distinct viewpoint on the cancer risks or mutation accumulation risks ?

#2 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

I think so. That trade-off seems to be inherent to any telomere intervention. So what do the actual users say? How do you justify the risk? Is there any way to circumvent the risk?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 VinceG

• 48 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:08 PM

Hi

If you have not seen them checkout my recent posts about astragaloside IV and a skin cancer I just got on the other astragaloside blog:
http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=335335
Vince

edit: fixed broken link

Edited by niner, 16 July 2009 - 03:23 AM.

#4 tunt01

• Topic Starter
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

i read them. thanks.

i don't take astragaloside. i looked at it fairly closely for a week or so and found that it may contribute to cancer risk. it's not worth it, imo.

#5 stateless

• 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

I'm glad you made this thread. I'm all for people making a buck by selling products that they may well believe in, and a demand exists for. Such people are inevitably very likely to adopt a "rose tinted" approach though, and as such it benefits the community that an impartial party has raised this concern after doing his own research.

Edited by stateless, 15 July 2009 - 07:55 PM.

#6 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

Prophets and I, are on different sides of this issue.

I have looked closely for 8 months before seriously considering making and releasing the product, and found that it may not contribute to an increase cancer risk. I use it, have used it since August of last year... and have taken more of it than most.

My last blood work was great, except for cholesterol. I'll see if I can find it and maybe post it here...

Cheers
A

#7 adamh

• 1,043 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

The way i look at it is that everything has a downside. Vitamins can kill you, minerals can kill you, anything can kill you. The question is whether or not it helps overall. I believe, and correct me if i'm wrong, that studies have shown increased lifespan with animals and human studies look good.

Anything that extends lifespan is going to increase the risk of cancer unless it reduces cancer risk at the same time. Cells that live longer without meeting programmed death have a statistically greater chance of abnormalities. Would you rather take your chances on getting cancer by living longer or just get it over with now? I'll take the chances on living longer.

I'm not totally endorsing this product though i do take an extract similar to it.

#8 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:02 AM

Prophets and I, are on different sides of this issue.

I have looked closely for 8 months before seriously considering making and releasing the product, and found that it may not contribute to an increase cancer risk. I use it, have used it since August of last year... and have taken more of it than most.

My last blood work was great, except for cholesterol. I'll see if I can find it and maybe post it here...

Cheers
A

Anthony its been almost a year now, how long before we can see your next blood workup

Mike

#9 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

Mike,

Just to be accurate, it is not a blood work like most folks expect, but a test on telomere length.

I also do not expect to get any cancer from transient telomerase, otherwise I would be in fear every time I was getting the sniffles as transient telomerase is activated naturally when your body is getting ready to fight of a cold, the flu, etc... and we all know we do not get cancer from a cold.

Yes, I have been taking this for almost a year.

Check the other thread. It will be posted at that location as all previous tests have been:
http://www.imminst.o...o...0&start=440

We are probably looking at September.

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 22 July 2009 - 01:34 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

Hi Lily,

I think the chinese saying is nice. However the way you stated it, makes it seem that I buy wholesale Astragaloside IV from you, which I don't.

I appreciate the offer in other threads and the personal message you sent, but I already have a different supplier that is pretty safe and reliable, and tests very well here at an independent lab in the good ol' USA.

Cheers
A

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users