Photo
- - - - -

Regenerative Cosmetic Procedures

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Simon

• 352 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

Something I think may prove really important to the war on aging is the role of bona fide anti-aging cosmetic procedures, when they become available. Adhering to the mindset that aging is a disease, then one symptom of that disease is that it disfigures us. Contrary therefore to kneejerk negative assumptions about immature vanity, concern over changes to one's physical appearance due to aging is perfectly reasonable. Just as we seek to mitigate the stigmatizing aesthetic manifestations of other diseases or injuries so as to improve quality of life, so too is the appearance of aging worthy of being treated by genuine medicine.

Sadly, when I try to research this subject all I find is a lot of hokum and marketing. The internet is crawling with cosmetic anti aging snake oil. While this certainly shows there's a market for the real thing, it doesn't make it easy to learn about real progress.

Can anyone point me towards something solid on this subject. Is there any real progress? Is the cosmetic industry funding worthwhile research, or are they content to keep peddling the same old crap? They've got the money. It seems like they could have such an interest.

Anyway I'd love to be pointed toward some good reading on this or start a discussion of the subject. In addition to the initial benefits of such procedures in terms of assisting self esteem, countering stigma and improving quality of life, I think success in this area would change the way people think about aging in general. If people above a certain age are able to look like they're in their early twenties, then society would be forced to confront the fact that aging on the whole is a kind of sickness amenable to intervention and meriting a cure. A persons age would no longer be able to define them socially. We'd all just be whoever we are...

Ben

#2 Ben Simon

• Topic Starter
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

I'd also be interested to know exactly what kind of damage needs to be fixed to solve this problem. Obviously something like repleniSENS is going to be a start, because it will restore the skin to its youthful thickness. Cross linking impacting upon skin texture and elasticity? Okay, that's GlycoSENS. But I'm not aware what causes the skin to gradually produce less and less collagen, which seems to be the biggest problem. How do we go about fixing that? Then of course there's things like hair health, voice, etcetera, to think about as well.

I apologize if this is kinda rudimentary stuff. But I'm very interested.

What about time frames? Could regenerative cosmetics predate RMR?

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

Here is a thread that discusses the recent use of stem cells in cosmetic procedures.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users