Chat while browsing imminst forums

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

Hey all

meetings and chats are one of the best way to know each other and organize projects to fight aging. They currently take place on a separate place () than the forum, some of us discussed today about incorporating it directly in the forums, so that you can view and participate in the chat while viewing and participating in the forum.

Do you think this would be great?
Don't hesitate to comment on the techniques described below, before we start implementing it.

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

Thats a good idea, if it can be put in the forums someplace maybe, maybe the front page and places like that.

Remember also that this is made easier to view through a couple of new pages and some other pages like:

imminst.org/chat
imminst.org/tv
imminst.org/meetings

#3 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:06 PM

There are several technical choices, here are the ones i'm thinking of. Comments are welcome

Static versus dynamic output?

* Static (=updated only when the page is loaded): the last lines of the chat are displayed when the page loads, click on it to go to the chat
* Dynamic (=constantly updated chat): a small dynamic chat window becomes a large dynamic chat window when the mouse goes over it. In order to reduce the internet load when several imminst pages are simultaenously opened on your computer, only the active window is dynamic. It still creates some constant internet load, if not desirable a pause button makes the trick.

Linked to the ustream chat versus making a new chat?

* Linked: i don't know how to do it. Anyone knows how to get the text content of the current ustream chat, eg is there a text version of the ustream chat?
* new: to particular obstacle to do it. Big drawback: every site currently displaying the current ustream chat will need to change its code otherwise there will be 2 concurrent chats. Advantage: we can do whatever we want because we make the tool, e.g. directly using imminst+sens+heales+other logins.

#4 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

Nobody answered yet. Let's ask the most important question wrt our technical limits:
Does it matter if the currently existing ustream chats will have to be replaced by the new chat?

#5 numbered

• Guest, F@H
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:38 AM

I think its a great idea . I hope it gets realized soon

#6 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:12 PM

I would love to see the ustream video and chat go on the imminst front page. It would then turn the front page into a bustling cross roads. As it stands Im not sure that many people spend much time at it. If we can figure out a way to get people to spend time there like this though, it would be very valuable.

I think we should use the ustream chat because it is connected to nearly 24 7 life extension programming. Also because the ustream chat is embedable.

As for static or dynamic, if this happens, then whatever works best. I guess I would go with static, and then make it so when you click on something on the front page that it opens the thing in a new window so the static chat can remain.

#7 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

fyi - would be a lot easier for some of us, if the chat section was offered in a direct irc server/channel rather than through a webpage.

#8 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

People have said that before but for some reason I cant grasp the reasoning.

I dont understand what the difference is between entering text into a chat through one url vs. another when the chat all goes to the same page. It also seems to me that we will be able to draw in more people through links like imminst.org/tv which are more central and easier to remember, rather than depending on members to use their irc clients, if they even have them or know what they are. I know many do, but I know for sure that all imminst members know what imminst.org is.

#9 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

I think we should use the ustream chat because it is connected to nearly 24 7 life extension programming. Also because the ustream chat is embedable.

• connected: do you mean that the chat is connected to the video? it doesn't seem so: it seems to me that the chat and the video are just two different features that can be in the same page or not.
  • embedable: making our own embedable chat is not difficult
    (insertion like <script src="http://imminst.org/t...user=AgeVivo"/> in the code)
But ok to try to link with the ustream chat, rather than asking every other site to now use our own chat.
the technique might be described somewhere here: http://developer.ustream.tv/
if someone experimented wants to have a look (?) that would be great. otherwise i'll do it a bit later

PS: i posted this thread under LEEEP but i think it would be better under "Forum suggestions". Thx

Edited by AgeVivo, 13 May 2009 - 02:42 PM.

#10 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

this is a very good idea...

#11 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

Recorders minute:

we propose to await the upcoming forum upgrade, and then check if we can get a free system working, otherwise to consider purchasing a chat module.

#12 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:51 AM

I think its a great idea . I hope it gets realized soon

It arrived here today. Caliban added it in, and its awesome.

Props to agevivo for pushing this idea through things like the potential abounding longecity.org work.

#13 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

Im searching other forums looking for fund raiser sections right now, and Im noticing that Im wishing those forums had a chat box at the top too. It would make it easy for me to figure out if the forum is active, get the info I need, find out if I can post this or that, etc..

I wanted to make that plug for this chat box here. I think it serves the cause, the forum, the members, in many more ways than one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users