Photo
- - - - -

Pelargonium sidoides

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Imminst = pro murder (omega)

• 238 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

I posted a mention of this plant in a thread on the new H1N1 flu. Seems it is worth its own thread so, here 'tis. I and my family have kept a Nature's Way brand, called Umcka, on hand now for a number of months. Appears it has allowed us to avoid any debilitating colds, coughs or sore throats. There is mention that it also greatly lessens flu symptoms and speeds recovery. If any one finds some clinical evidence of that, please inform. As far as clinical evidence concerning colds, coughs and sore throats, there is plenty.

I just ordered another four 8 oz. bottles to have some backup just in case. Seems Vitacost has the best price.

This is the article that first informed me of it:

Herb Officially Recognized In England as A Cure for Colds
http://www.naturalnews.com/024526.html

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

schwabe pharma makes a product with this herb (umcka in the states) which has a good amount of clinical evidence behind it:
http://www.schwabeph...loabo/index.php

http://www.iherb.com...ure-s-Way-Umcka

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

heres more on the schwabe EPs 7630 extract... i actually am on my way out to pick some up :) i wont bother posting them all as theres quite a few, just tap EPs 7630 into pubmed

Treatment of acute rhinosinusitis with the preparation from Pelargonium sidoides EPs 7630: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
Bachert C, Schapowal A, Funk P, Kieser M.

University of Ghent, ENT Department, Ghent, Belgium. claus.bachert@ugent.be

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy and safety of the herbal drug preparation from the roots of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) compared to placebo. DESIGN: Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, multicenter trial with a group-sequential adaptive design. SUBJECTS: Patients with sinonasal symptoms of at least 7 days duration, and radiographically and clinically confirmed acute rhinosinusitis of presumably bacterial origin with a Sinusitis Severity Score (SSS) of at least 12 out of 24 points at inclusion. INTERVENTIONS: EPs 7630, a herbal drug preparation from the roots of Pelargonium sidoides (1: 8-10; extraction solvent: ethanol 11% (w/w)), or matching placebo at a dose of 60 drops three times daily for maximum 22 days. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Change in the SSS after 7 days. RESULTS: 103 patients were recruited until the planned interim analysis. The mean decrease in the SSS was 5.5 points in the EPs 7630 group compared to 2.5 points in the placebo group, a difference of 3.0 points (95% confidence interval 2.0 to 3.9, p < 0.00001). This result was confirmed by all secondary parameters indicating a more favourable course of the disease and a faster recovery in the EPs 7630 group. According to the pre-specified decision rule, the study was stopped after obtaining proof of efficacy for EPs 7630. CONCLUSIONS: EPs 7630 was well tolerated and superior in efficacy compared to placebo in the treatment of acute rhinosinusitis of presumably bacterial origin.

PMID: 19382496

Anti-infective mode of action of EPs 7630 at the molecular level.
Thäle C, Kiderlen A, Kolodziej H.

Institute of Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Biology, Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin, Germany.

Clinical trials have shown that EPs 7630, an aqueous ethanolic extract from the roots of Pelargonium sidoides, is an efficacious treatment for respiratory tract infections.
A large body of in vitro studies has provided evidence for an anti-infective principle associated with activation of the non-specific immune system. However, the mode of action at the cellular and molecular level is still insufficiently defined. This study, therefore, aimed to provide further insight into the underlying principles of the therapeutic benefits of EPs 7630 under these conditions. Using BMM phi experimentally infected with intracellular bacteria, Listeria monocytogenes, incubation with EPs 7630 (1 - 30 micro increased release of NO, production of membrane bound/intra- and extracellular IL-1, IL-12 and TNF-alpha and changed the expressions of the surface markers CD40 and CD119 at an early time point post infection (6 h) in a concentration-dependent manner in most experiments. Compared with non-infected cells, the effects were more pronounced. LPS + IFN-gamma served as positive and untreated cells as negative controls. Analyses were carried out at single cell levels using flow cytometry, while ELISA was additionally utilized for monitoring secreted cytokines. Although the current data provide additional valuable information for understanding the anti-infective effects of EPs 7630, the triggered signalling pathways associated with host immune responses appear even more complex than anticipated and are evidently not shared by 'classical' immunomodulators to this extent.

PMID: 18584813

EPs 7630 improves acute bronchitic symptoms and shortens time to remission. Results of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial.
Matthys H, Funk P.

Department of Pneumology, University Hospital Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany. hmatthys@t-online.de

Acute bronchitis commonly associated with cough is predominantly caused by viral infections. The burden on health-care systems and society is enormous. A randomised, placebo-controlled, multicentre clinical trial to investigate the efficacy and safety of a liquid herbal drug preparation from the roots of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) was conducted in 217 adult outpatients with acute bronchitis. The primary efficacy variable was the bronchitis symptom score (BSS) ranging from 0 to 20. Primary data of this study were already published in 2007. Now, we present further analyses of these already published data combined with new results in order to focus on both the most important features of acute bronchitis and pharmaco-economic aspects of the disease. The BSS decreased by 7.6 +/- 2.2 (mean +/- SD) points for the active treatment group and 5.3 +/- 3.2 points for placebo (p < 0.0001). As compared with placebo, a marked improvement has been shown for EPs 7630 for all disease symptoms (cough, sputum, rales, dyspnoe, pain on coughing, hoarseness, headache, fatigue, fever, limb pain) categorised in severity classes by the patient. Especially strong antitussive and "anti-fatigue" effects with an early onset during treatment were observed. Patients in the EPs 7630 group were sooner able to work and to a lesser extent confined to bed. In both treatment groups, 3 x 30 drops of the trial medication administered for 7 days were well tolerated. No serious adverse events have been observed. In conclusion, EPs 7630 is superior to placebo in the treatment of acute bronchitis and leads to faster remission of bronchitis related symptoms.

PMID: 18449849

Edited by ajnast4r, 05 May 2009 - 09:26 PM.

#4 Imminst = pro murder (omega)

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for those. The observation that it is effective against viral infections makes me wonder if the claims of being effective against flu are evident.

I'm not sure of the technical jargon but put simply, I understand it makes mucus membranes less hospitable for viruses.

#5 imarobot

• 194 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:26 AM

Nice find for the active ingredient. Looks promising.

The Nature's Way product says it's a homepathic, 1X formula. 1X is a 1:10 ratio. That doesn't sound homeopathic. I know a number of cough syrup/lozenge makers say their product is homeopathic. Is Nature's Way trying to cater to the believers? Makes me shrink away from anything Nature's Way.

Edited by imarobot, 06 May 2009 - 12:28 AM.

#6 Imminst = pro murder (omega)

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:43 AM

I'm a believer for some homeopthy concoctions but not all, only those that have shown repeated positive trial results.

You are right though about the concentration not suggesting it is homeopathic as far as I know. Might be stated there solely as a marketing ploy.

I see the geranium is discussed as nice for ornamental plantings. I want to explore if it is available at local nurseries, if I can grow my own and get the desired immune system boost. Maybe I can find a stand with a couple extra clumps somewhere.
Posted Image

#7 imarobot

• 194 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:05 AM

I have a homeopathic garden. I can't see it, but I also can't kill it.

Edited by imarobot, 06 May 2009 - 01:07 AM.

#8 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:08 AM

im not sure why natures way markets it as a homeopathic, but schwabe pharma who actually produces the extract for them doesnt. i doubt very much that you would get the same effect from a home-brew extract... schwabes extracts tend to be quite complex.

heres another good writeup:

http://www.drugs.com...elargonium.html

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:41 AM

This stuff looks like it's worth a try. Too bad about the "homeopathic 1X tincture". Sheesh. This is the second cold treatment that I've seen that both has real science behind it and has also jumped on the phony homeopathy bandwagon. I guess they are trying to pull in customers from both camps. I suppose they've made the calculation that the number of people of a scientific bent who will be put off by it will be more than offset by the people who get fooled by the "homeopathy" claim. I guess everything is homeopathic at some dilution, right? Like 0.1X?

#10 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:17 AM

This stuff looks like it's worth a try. Too bad about the "homeopathic 1X tincture". Sheesh. This is the second cold treatment that I've seen that both has real science behind it and has also jumped on the phony homeopathy bandwagon. I guess they are trying to pull in customers from both camps. I suppose they've made the calculation that the number of people of a scientific bent who will be put off by it will be more than offset by the people who get fooled by the "homeopathy" claim. I guess everything is homeopathic at some dilution, right? Like 0.1X?

you talking about cold eeze?

#11 Imminst = pro murder (omega)

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

There is a Pelargonium sidoides concoction apparently commonly available in US drug stores, Zucol, http://www.zucol.com

I see reference to people growing it themselves, drying and powdering the root and then taking 800 mg. per day for the desired effect. Appears to not germinate from seed well w/ root cuttings the favored way of propagating. Though some reference to growing suggests keeping it between 50 and 70F I also see a report that it survives winters in the UK well.

Edited by Omega, 06 May 2009 - 07:28 AM.

#12 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

There is a Pelargonium sidoides concoction apparently commonly available in US drug stores, Zucol, http://www.zucol.com

zucol, and most like any pelagronium extract that mentions clinical efficacy, is using the same EPs 7630 extract as umcka that is purchased from schwabe pharma. zucol, is made by abkit which is owned by natures way which is owned by schwabe pharma...its funny how these companies have the same extract distributed as 20 different products.

ive had quite a bit of inflammation in my upper respiratory area from allergies. i think it may be on its way to turning into bronchitis so i decided to try some umcka... after 2 doses it definitely opened up my lungs & reduced the inflammation. i'll report back after i finish the entire bottle. i went with the original 13% alcohol drops, because i believe thats what was use in the clinical studies.

Edited by ajnast4r, 06 May 2009 - 05:03 PM.

#13 Imminst = pro murder (omega)

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:56 AM

I noticed the higher concentration of alcohol for the study. The Nature's Way 1X Umcka is 1%. I think next batch I'll do as you. It's possible the alcohol activates it somehow.

I think I have noticed this stuff being effective for me, my kids and my wife. Worst sickness one of us had in the last 6 months was a sore throat my wife had and she didn't start the Umcka until some 12 hours after symptoms appeared. It abated inside of twelve hours. There's been a few times when kids were showing signs of getting a cold. I started them on the stuff right away and no sickness developed.

Seems there is not as many clinical trials as I thought and questions about a couple of the studies. There should be more large-scale trials.

I'm going to see if I can find some plants.

#14 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:02 AM

Seems there is not as many clinical trials as I thought and questions about a couple of the studies. There should be more large-scale trials.

there are 32 studies on the EPs 7630 extract on pubmed... thats quite a bit.

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:17 AM

Yeah. That was it. zinc gluconate became "zincum gluconicum 2x"

#16 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:34 AM

Yeah. That was it. zinc gluconate became "zincum gluconicum 2x"

yea i always wondered about that

#17 Imminst = pro murder (omega)

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:26 AM

there are 32 studies on the EPs 7630 extract on pubmed... thats quite a bit.

None of those are on flu virus treatment.

#18 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

None of those are on flu virus treatment.

yea its not marketed as a flu treatment as far as i can tell... only for colds. but being that it is effective against viral respiratory infection, it makes sense.

#19 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

Nice find for the active ingredient. Looks promising.

The Nature's Way product says it's a homepathic, 1X formula. 1X is a 1:10 ratio. That doesn't sound homeopathic. I know a number of cough syrup/lozenge makers say their product is homeopathic. Is Nature's Way trying to cater to the believers? Makes me shrink away from anything Nature's Way.

Once the herb, drug, mineral or trace element has
been potentized, no matter how small, it's considered
homeopathic.

Most of the components of homeopathic products for
topical use, such as hemorrhoid creams or eye drops,
for example, are in low potencies ranging from 1x to 6x,
or 1C to 6C, with many also in Q, or mother tincture.

http://www.betterlif...p?prod_id=12231

The eyebright eye drop by Bahola Labs of India which I
have in my office drawer is Euphrasia Q.

http://www.bahola.co.in/eye-care.htm

#20 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:27 AM

Pelargonium sidoides has activity against TB. This was
one of the herbs which I suggested to a relative with TB
a couple of years ago to take on a maintenance level after
finishing his doctor's antibiotics course.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

Mycobacteria are one of the toughest microbes to
knock out. If I remember correctly during the 80s,
a case of tuberculosis normally calls for a minimum
six-month course of 3 to 4 antibiotics. The above
relative was on it for 9 months.

2 months on :

Rifampicin
Isoniazid
Ethambutol
Pyrazinamide

Further 4 months on :

Rifamipcin
Isoniazid

In the older days, streptomycin was also part of the regimen.

With resistant cases, they will usually have to resort
to the quinolones or aminoglycosides.

Haemophilus influenzae :

" .... incubation with EPs 7630 (1 - 30 micro increased release of
NO, production of membrane bound/intra- and extracellular IL-1,
IL-12 and TNF-alpha and changed the expressions of the surface
markers CD40 and CD119 at an early time point post infection (6 h) "

" .... the triggered signalling pathways associated with host immune
responses appear even more complex than anticipated and are
evidently not shared by 'classical' immunomodulators to this extent. "

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#21 Imminst = pro murder (omega)

• Topic Starter
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:41 AM

Thank you for the information, tham. "Homeopathic" appears to be an accurate term for Nature's Way Umcka.

Here is a S. Calif. nursery that sells it over the web, $7 for a 3" potted plant: http://www.plantsafa...tail/00877.html

Here's a source in the UK: http://www.crocus.co...mno.PL30001892/

There is a sale on eBay right now for 5 seeds for $4.84 but the claim that it is not well propagated by seed makes it less desirable IMO.

From this site we have suggestion that the leaves and shoots have the active constituents:

Pelargonium sidoides (Geraniaceae) is a medicinal plant used for the treatment of various infections including tuberculosis and bronchitis. Traditionally, only the roots of the plant are used for medicinal formulations in the Eastern Cape. In addition to traditional uses, there is a great demand for the plant for export, therefore, the rate of its harvesting and the number of its collector has increased in recent years. This has led to a drastic drop in the population of the species in the wild. A method that could achieve the sustainable harvesting of P. sidoides would be to substitute its shoot for the roots in medicinal formulations. A comparative study of the antibacterial activities of the leaves and the roots of the plant was conducted on the materials collected from three different populations. Generally, both the shoot and the roots of P. sidoides have antimicrobial properties. There was no significant observable difference between the MIC of extracts from both parts. The choice of the root by the traditional healers over the leaves may be arbitrary or due to easy collection. The leaves of P. sidoides may, as well, substitute for its roots in medicinal formulations especially in the treatment of bacterial diseases like tuberculosis and bronchitis.

This Oregon nursery lists it in their Archival Plant List: http://www.cistus.com/index.html

It is refered to as Kalwerbossie Geranium commonly.

San Marcos Growers lists it as offered and they have a number of nurseries here in California: http://www.smgrowers...ase/locator.asp

I see mention that it is popular for planting as an ornamental in the cities East of San Francisco Bay so maybe here too, in Silicon Valley. Need to keep my open. Should be in flower now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users