Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Questions to Eva Victoria

• Please log in to reply
579 replies to this topic

#121 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

Eva is there even a sunscreen on the market today that resembles what you wrote here that does not cost $100 and ounce?......lol

"With todays technology it is possible to produce ZnO containing sunscreens with 15-25% ZnO, combined with OMC (7.5%) to achieve high SPF (50) and adequate UVA protection (PPD20). These sunscreens can be formulated mattish (while organic ones are almost always very oily and shiny)."

#122 kirtap

• 28 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B000T22MLE

That is the best one I've used in terms of non-whiteness / non-greasy texture. Has a SPF of 50 & PPD of 20. The only think I dislike about it is that has fragrance

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#123 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

Eva is there even a sunscreen on the market today that resembles what you wrote here that does not cost $100 and ounce?......lol

"With todays technology it is possible to produce ZnO containing sunscreens with 15-25% ZnO, combined with OMC (7.5%) to achieve high SPF (50) and adequate UVA protection (PPD20). These sunscreens can be formulated mattish (while organic ones are almost always very oily and shiny)."

The one that I like the most is Chanel UV Essentiel SPF50 with 7.5% OMC and 19% ZnO. Extremely light and nice consistency. Drawback: expensive (about 70EU; $60) and the UVA protection should and could be higher with 19% ZnO.

The other ones that unfortunately does not contain ZnO is Nivea DNA face SPF 50 (OMC, OCR, TinosorbS, AVO, TiO2) and Avene Gel Creme SPF 50+ UVA 20 (OMC, Tinosorb S, Tinosorb M). None of these last two are perfect though.
I wish I liked Bioderma and LRP, even though the filter combination and the very high UVA protection is unparalleled, I personally find their consistency far too shiny beside the fact that my skin does not tolerate OCR neither any Mexory filter along with AVO.

#124 chiaberry

• 23 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

Eva Victoria:

Your opinion please on this sunscreen. It is a drugstore products sold in the US (Coppertone Waterbabies Pure and Simple):

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (5%), Zinc Oxide (14.5%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, C12 15 Alcohol Benzoate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, PEG 12 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Extract, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Diazolidiny Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Chloride

I don't know the particles size of the zinc oxide, but it is a little whitening.

Thanks.

#125 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

Eva Victoria:

Your opinion please on this sunscreen. It is a drugstore products sold in the US (Coppertone Waterbabies Pure and Simple):

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (5%), Zinc Oxide (14.5%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, C12 15 Alcohol Benzoate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, PEG 12 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Extract, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Diazolidiny Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Chloride

I don't know the particles size of the zinc oxide, but it is a little whitening.

Thanks.

It is a silicone in water sunscreen. the ZnO is coated with Triethoxycaprylylsilane. If as you say it is a bit whitening then it is most certain Z-Cote that is used. (Otherwise it might come from a Korean giant that also coats ZnO with Triethoxycaprylylsilane. In that case the primary size of the ZnO is nano-40nm, but then it would not be whitening at all at this concentration after 20 min after aplication).
This sunscreen seems to be promising esp. if it manages to form a uniform film on the skin.

#126 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:17 PM

Eva or anyone else,

I'd be interested in your comments or critique of this sunscreen I stumbled on about one month ago.

It is called BURNOUT by Sun Research LLC in Santa Cruz California. http://www.burnoutsun.com/

It is reasonably priced at $16 for 3.4 fluid ounces.

The first product listed below is relatively matte, with only a barely perceptible (on me) white finish.

The second has a bit of a sheen (better for dry skin?) with only a barely perceptible (on me) white finish.

Both products take a bit of effort to completely rub in; the only negative I've found.

I have tried both formulations below. So far, I like them.

BURNOUT CLEAN AND CLEAR ZINC OXIDE SUNSCREEN SPF 32:

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 18.6%

Other Ingredients: Aqua (Deionized Water), Capric/Capryllic Triglycerides, Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitol, Imperata Cylindrical (Root) Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Soybean Lecithin, Arabidopsis Extract, Plankton Extract, Aloe Vera, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Citric Acid.

BURNOUT OCEAN TESTED PHYSICAL SUNSCREEN SPF 30+:

</B>Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 18.6%

Other Ingredients: Aqua (Deionized Water), Capric/Capryllic Triglycerides, Vegetable Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Sorbitol, Imperata Cylindrical (Root) Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Virgin Hemp Seed Oil, Sorbitan Stearate, Arabidopsis Extract, Plankton Extract, Xanthan Gum, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C

Edited by APBT, 23 March 2010 - 05:20 PM.

#127 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

Eva or anyone else,

I'd be interested in your comments or critique of this sunscreen I stumbled on about one month ago.

It is called BURNOUT by Sun Research LLC in Santa Cruz California. http://www.burnoutsun.com/

The first product listed below is relatively matte, with only a barely perceptible (on me) white finish.

The second has a bit of a sheen (better for dry skin?) with only a barely perceptible (on me) white finish.

Both products take a bit of effort to completely rub in; the only negative I've found.

Other Ingredients: Aqua (Deionized Water), Capric/Capryllic Triglycerides, Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitol, Imperata Cylindrical (Root) Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Soybean Lecithin, Arabidopsis Extract, Plankton Extract, Aloe Vera, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Citric Acid.

Other Ingredients: Aqua (Deionized Water), Capric/Capryllic Triglycerides, Vegetable Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Sorbitol, Imperata Cylindrical (Root) Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Virgin Hemp Seed Oil, Sorbitan Stearate, Arabidopsis Extract, Plankton Extract, Xanthan Gum, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C

None of them have preservative? Or any SPF boosting ingredients? Is it the full ingredient list?

#128 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

Eva or anyone else,

None of them have preservative? Or any SPF boosting ingredients? Is it the full ingredient list?

I copied the ingredient list from thier Website (which I linked above). So, I assume that is the entire ingredient list.

#129 chiaberry

• 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:25 AM

It is a silicone in water sunscreen. the ZnO is coated with Triethoxycaprylylsilane. If as you say it is a bit whitening then it is most certain Z-Cote that is used. (Otherwise it might come from a Korean giant that also coats ZnO with Triethoxycaprylylsilane. In that case the primary size of the ZnO is nano-40nm, but then it would not be whitening at all at this concentration after 20 min after aplication).
This sunscreen seems to be promising esp. if it manages to form a uniform film on the skin.

Thanks for your reply.

It does form a uniform film on the skin and as you say, the whiteness reduces after 20 min of application.

However, wouldn't the UVA protection be inferior with nano-sized particles?

#130 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for your reply.

It does form a uniform film on the skin and as you say, the whiteness reduces after 20 min of application.

However, wouldn't the UVA protection be inferior with nano-sized particles?

On the contrary, the smaller the particle size the higher/ better SPF protection it provides pr. percent of active. But lower UVA protection and up to a lower wavelength (hence the "no whitening").

#131 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:49 AM

Eva or anyone else,

I copied the ingredient list from thier Website (which I linked above). So, I assume that is the entire ingredient list.

In this case, am very unsure. ZnO makes PH of products shift toward the alkali side which means that it is a good place for bacterial growth. Already because of lack of preservatives I would not recommend to use this product.
But I think also these sunscreens are very oily without cosmetic elegance. Lack also a proper up-to-date film former that is crucial for even distribution of the UV filtering agent(s).

#132 chiaberry

• 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:30 PM

On the contrary, the smaller the particle size the higher/ better SPF protection it provides pr. percent of active. But lower UVA protection and up to a lower wavelength (hence the "no whitening").

Would it then be better to use a zinc oxide sunscreen that has a higher particle size and whitening effect to get the highest UVA protection (as opposed to SPF)?

#133 chiaberry

• 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:32 PM

[[quote name='Eva Victoria' post='393364' date='Mar 23 2010, 12:04 PM'][quote In this case, am very unsure. ZnO makes PH of products shift toward the alkali side which means that it is a good place for bacterial growth. Already because of lack of preservatives I would not recommend to use this product.
But I think also these sunscreens are very oily without cosmetic elegance. Lack also a proper up-to-date film former that is crucial for even distribution of the UV filtering agent(s).[/quote]

Perhaps they are using a commercial preparation of zinc oxide (eg Zinclear IM).

What are some good up-to-date film formers that we should be looking out for?

#134 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:23 AM

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In this case, am very unsure. ZnO makes PH of products shift toward the alkali side which means that it is a good place for bacterial growth. Already because of lack of preservatives I would not recommend to use this product.
[/quote]

Thank you for your reply.

Wouldn't the Vitamins C and E act as preservatives in the context of this sunscreen?

Has anyone else tried or heard of the BURNOUT SUNSCREEN?

Edited by APBT, 25 March 2010 - 01:26 AM.

#135 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:28 AM

Eva, of these two sunscreens, Garnier Ambre Solaire uv sensitive spf 50+ or Nivea Light Feeling sun lotion spf 50,
which gives the best protection in your opinion? I know the Garnier has both mexorys and the Nivea has Tinosorb S I believe.
They are the cheapest, most effective chemical sunscreens that I have found.

#136 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

Would it then be better to use a zinc oxide sunscreen that has a higher particle size and whitening effect to get the highest UVA protection (as opposed to SPF)?

Higher particle size help definitely.

But the whitening of the sunscreen is not always due to higher UVA protection. It can also be of not so good dispersion of UV filters.

#137 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

Eva, of these two sunscreens, Garnier Ambre Solaire uv sensitive spf 50+ or Nivea Light Feeling sun lotion spf 50,
which gives the best protection in your opinion? I know the Garnier has both mexorys and the Nivea has Tinosorb S I believe.

They are both equally good. Maybe Nivea is less irritating to the skin and has a nicer consistency. Big minus for the fragrance though.

#138 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

[quote name='chiaberry' post='393694' date='Mar 25 2010, 12:32 AM'][[quote name='Eva Victoria' post='393364' date='Mar 23 2010, 12:04 PM'][quote In this case, am very unsure. ZnO makes PH of products shift toward the alkali side which means that it is a good place for bacterial growth. Already because of lack of preservatives I would not recommend to use this product.
But I think also these sunscreens are very oily without cosmetic elegance. Lack also a proper up-to-date film former that is crucial for even distribution of the UV filtering agent(s).[/quote]
Perhaps they are using a commercial preparation of zinc oxide (eg Zinclear IM).

What are some good up-to-date film formers that we should be looking out for?
[/quote]

Look for polymers: Polyurethane-34,

Styrene/acrylic copolymer,

Acrylates Copolymer or Crosspolymer f. ex. or Dimethicone /Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer. If it is a silicone based sunscreen than the silicone itself is a good film former.

Edited by Eva Victoria, 26 March 2010 - 04:46 PM.

#139 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

They are both equally good. Maybe Nivea is less irritating to the skin and has a nicer consistency. Big minus for the fragrance though.

Yes I agree. Thanks. Eva what is your take on this Blue Lizard sunscreen?
http://www.coolibar.com/05146.html
I'm having a bout with acne and am wanting to see if the chemical sunscreens I've been using are playing a role.
I realize the ZO is on the low side but it has very little whitening effect. Looks really good on my skin.
As far as protection goes, how much difference really is there between this sunscreen and one with around 20% ZO and OMC?
Thanks in advance.

#140 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

Yes I agree. Thanks. Eva what is your take on this Blue Lizard sunscreen?
http://www.coolibar.com/05146.html
I'm having a bout with acne and am wanting to see if the chemical sunscreens I've been using are playing a role.
I realize the ZO is on the low side but it has very little whitening effect. Looks really good on my skin.
As far as protection goes, how much difference really is there between this sunscreen and one with around 20% ZO and OMC?
Thanks in advance.

This Sunscreen from Blue Lizard contains 10% ZnO and 5% TiO2.
It is definitely inherently photo stable. Good UVB protection (like the one with 7.5% OMC + 20% ZnO) but the UVA protection might be lower than a sunscreen with the double amount of ZnO. But it also depends on what ZnO is used. I guess that it is silicone coated ZnO. So the SPF and the UVA protection/ percent active can be lower than ZnO coated with Triethoxycaprylylsilane (like Z-Cote from BASF).

#141 chiaberry

• 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:16 AM

Eva Victoria: What is your opinion on these ZinClear formulations?

http://www.dow.com/s...ts/zinclear.htm

The technical data is in pdf file format in that link.

I think that some of the sunscreens which have zinc oxide in capric triglycerides are using the ZinClear technology.

The particle size is more than 1 micron.

Edited by chiaberry, 28 March 2010 - 03:21 AM.

#142 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:29 AM

This one is interesting and the price is good. Zinc oxide (zinclear) is a whopping 26% although it's not listed on their site for some reason. http://wholesalesupp...-sunscreen.html
Edit....just saw this. http://www.dow.com/s...ts/zinclear.htm
So I'm guessing that sunscreen has around 13% zinc oxide.

Edited by mustardseed41, 28 March 2010 - 05:15 AM.

#143 chiaberry

• 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

This one is interesting and the price is good. Zinc oxide (zinclear) is a whopping 26% although it's not listed on their site for some reason. http://wholesalesupp...-sunscreen.html
Edit....just saw this. http://www.dow.com/s...ts/zinclear.htm
So I'm guessing that sunscreen has around 13% zinc oxide.

The feedback on this is that is rather oily and you can feel it on your skin the whole day. It's not unexpected seeing the amount of carrier oils in the ingredients list. But it might be alright for dry skins/dry climates. I don't think this would be considered a cosmetically elegant sunscreen but if you're keen on the high zinc and the "natural" ingredients, it would be an acceptable choice. Apparently it is similar to the Soleo sunscreen in texture.

#144 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

Eva Victoria: What is your opinion on these ZinClear formulations?

http://www.dow.com/s...ts/zinclear.htm

The technical data is in pdf file format in that link.

I think that some of the sunscreens which have zinc oxide in capric triglycerides are using the ZinClear technology.

The particle size is more than 1 micron.

I have not bought ZinClear yet. It is on my list though. But ZinClear is nano size ZnO which is not allowed in the EU.
It is cosmetically very elegant on the skin because its transmission of light rapidly decreases from 360nm. It also means its UVA protection from 360nm is not that great. (Has excellent UVB protection).

Sunscreens that use ZnO in Caprylic/Capric Trigylceride can also use Croda: Spectraveil (which has a very good and broad distribution of particle size from about 80-500mm). This rawmaterial has a very good dispersion of ZnO and provides a full UVA protection (not so good UVB protection). It is whitening on the skin esp. in higher concentration.

#145 chiaberry

• 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

According to the technical data file on the link, the particle size of the ZinClear IM is more than 1 micrometer (by laser light scattering) and therefore are they still regarded as nanoparticles? I believe the older versions of ZinClear (not the IM version) may have been smaller particles but this version was specially formulated with larger particle size. From the technical data provided by Dow (also in the link), the transmittance is more than 90 percent at 550nm and according to their graph, the tranmittance is also more than 90 percent at 800nm. Is there reason to doubt their data?

#146 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:17 PM

According to the technical data file on the link, the particle size of the ZinClear IM is more than 1 micrometer (by laser light scattering) and therefore are they still regarded as nanoparticles? I believe the older versions of ZinClear (not the IM version) may have been smaller particles but this version was specially formulated with larger particle size. From the technical data provided by Dow (also in the link), the transmittance is more than 90 percent at 550nm and according to their graph, the tranmittance is also more than 90 percent at 800nm. Is there reason to doubt their data?

This is what I have from ZinClear (Amerchol Dow Personal Care). please see the attached files.

There are other products of ZnO in Caprylic/Capric Trigylceride. In the US there is HallStar: HallBrite®Z-60 with a mean particle size of 120nm (particle size distribution is between 60-200nm).

Edited for uploading one more attachment.

Attached Files

Edited by Eva Victoria, 28 March 2010 - 12:21 PM.

#147 chiaberry

• 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

This is what I have from ZinClear (Amerchol Dow Personal Care). please see the attached files.

There are other products of ZnO in Caprylic/Capric Trigylceride. In the US there is HallStar: HallBrite®Z-60 with a mean particle size of 120nm (particle size distribution is between 60-200nm).

Thank you very much for the information.

It is just so hard to find a good zinc oxide based sunscreen. Those of bigger particle size are whitening in higher concentrations and those that are non-whitening have lower particle size and are less protective. What would you recommend?

#148 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

Thank you very much for the information.

It is just so hard to find a good zinc oxide based sunscreen. Those of bigger particle size are whitening in higher concentrations and those that are non-whitening have lower particle size and are less protective. What would you recommend?

Try to look for sunscreens that state that they use Z-Cote. Preferably in concentration of 15% +.
Or choose a sunscreen with added colouring.
Or buy Optisol sunscreen: http://www.optisolsundefence.com/

http://www.oxonica.c...als_optisol.php
http://www.isis-inno...nica-may03.html

#149 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

Eva or anyone else, do you know of a good tint product you could apply over a zinc oxide sunscreen to lessen the whitening effect?
I have a medium skin tone. Thanks.

#150 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:53 PM

Eva or anyone else, do you know of a good tint product you could apply over a zinc oxide sunscreen to lessen the whitening effect?
I have a medium skin tone. Thanks.

I really like Clinique Super CityBlock SPF40 as a secondary product on a good susncreen just for taking away the whiteness.

Active ingredients: zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2%

ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci 77891) <iln28029>

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users