Photo

what would it take to cap off a mix and put mention of imminst on the

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

Is there a vendor around here that can create a multi vitamin and nootropic mix with the main things supported around here, and then cap off 1 to 5 versions or so of this?

Either something non legally binding could be put on it like "As supported by the members of the Immortality Institute", or somebody could look into what legalities we would be getting into if it were called someting like, "Immortality Institute supplements and noontropics mix".

We could then possibly sell this in the imminst store that is in development. It seems like it would be a win/ win for the supplements vendor and ImmInst.

#2 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

I may be interested...

Would the formulations be submitted (and agreed to) by the imminst group?
If so, let me know what ingredients we are talking about so that I can estimate pricing... to see if it's something we can look into.

Cheers
A

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

Do you have control over labels, and do you know about the legalities of this and or could you check into it?

If somebody could, please link to some good supplements mixes around here. We can choose from them. If the consensus is too diverse we can always find a way to cut through it, the board could choose 3 people to make the decision or something like that.

Also, can you mix nootropics with supplements? Im not sure if Ive ever heard of such a mix. Seems like it should be a good seller. If it had a link to a web site that supports unlimited lifespans then I would promote it, buy it for people I know, etc..

Some names I think would work great for helping spread the meme would be things like, "Immortality Institute, supplement and nootropic mix" and "Longevity Escape Velocity, helping acheive unlimited lifespans."

#4 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:53 PM

Do you have control over labels, and do you know about the legalities of this and or could you check into it?

Yes, I know all about this. This is the least of the issues.

the main one is getting estimates, and a consensus on formulations from some of the folks here.

cheers
A

#5 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

If legalities are the least of the issues then thats great news. Can you elaborate on that a little? If we had a hypothetical mix called, "Immortality Institute" on the label, and somebody had an alergic reaction to a high level of some supplement, then could we have it set up so that we wouldnt be liable for it? or would it be better if we tried to get something like a side note talking about imminst on the label?

To reiterate for others, please link to the best supplements mixes you know of around here, and link to or list all the best, main nootropics.

#6 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

brokenportal,

first, if you know you will be offering a substance that can cause allergies to some people, you need to have a statement on the bottle regarding this called "the allergen" statement. Specially if its one of the 6 major allergens determined by the FDA and USDA in the 2006 Allergen Label Law. The next item is that you should carry liability insurance for the products if they are under your particular label, if the supplements happen to be under the "RevGenetics" label, then we carry the liability insurance for these.

Liability insurance is not something you can do without, if you have your own products.

After these are covered, you can label the product what you wish (well just don't use an existing trademark), as long as the supplement facts are shown and no crazy claims are stated on the bottle. You can state certain claims but the need to follow certain guidelines: http://www.fda.gov/F...s/ucm111447.htm

I hope this helps

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 09 June 2009 - 12:16 PM.

#7 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:58 PM

From what I can see, ImmInst wouldnt need to make any money off of this, we wouldnt need to own the mix. Could you approve a mix and put it under your liability insurance but put ImmInst on the label somewhere?

We would have to think about the best placing for mention of ImmInst, or something like it. I could be wrong, maybe it wouldnt be worth it, but I would think that the benefit to somebody like you is that more people working for the cause would help you sell at least that particular mix. I know I would. I mean, I would think that a mix sitting around on peoples shelves and maybe even in mom and pop stores called something like, "LEV Longevity Escape Velocity, live long enough to potentially live forever, discussion at imminst.org," would be huge for the cause.

#8 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:15 PM

As long as it doesn't sound crazy to the average person...

it appears you just need some advertising. Let me think on how better to frame it so other companies might join...

A

#9 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:46 AM

Also, can you mix nootropics with supplements?

Modafinil + Resveratrol = Never sleep and live forever :)

I should add, if ImmInst is going to put its name on a product I would want it to be a strongly evidence backed substance/mixture. I wouldn't want the impression to emerge that we would put our name on anything that would sell. It would be nice if a product could be formulated that would satisfy even those members who are not interested in supplements of its value and quality.

Edited by lunarsolarpower, 10 June 2009 - 03:03 AM.

#10 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

I agree with you lunarsolarpower,

however, it should also be something not everyone sells, so you could stand out a bit.
Too many people selling all sorts of stuff now a days, but a formulation maybe adequate if members can back it up with science (or at least studies).

Cheers
A

#11 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

Remember, this is all just brainstorming discussion at this point. The board may not go for it at all, although I hope they do. The mix should be evidence based, I agree. Im sure we can find plenty of proposals that will be. If this progresses further then I suggest we appoint a panel of 3 supplement and nootropic experts from around here to make the final decision on the mix or mixes.

As for getting around "sounding crazy to the average person" are you talking about longevity escape velocity, or the name Immortality Institute? If your talking about longevity escape velocity, thats not crazy, and something like this would be a great way to help meme it in, which is a major point of what we all do here. If your talking about the name Immortality, we all know what context we mean it in but they dont, so I agree with that. It may be worth trying as a shocker name, "Immortality Institute mix? What the?" and press may pick up on it and the controversy could be used to meme. "We know, we know, immortality is controversial to us to, but we dont mean exactly that, now see here, what what mean is..." and great opportunity to meme ensues. Although, if you dont want to mess with that then please do help us support the Longevity Communities Network idea that many of us are going to propose, its a much more meme friendly name.

Edited by brokenportal, 10 June 2009 - 06:18 PM.

#12 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:07 AM

Sounds good brokenportal,

I understand how it could be turned into good PR for imminst.
I suppose we should ask folks about the panel, who would be appropriate for the panel to consider formulations?

I would ask hedge... but I haven't seen him around lately, and am not sure if he is a full member. Maybe Micheal even though I have differing views regarding res, but he doesn't show up much here so maybe that is a bad choice.

Lucid maybe good to consider...and VinceG, good but he is not a member I believe...

Zoolander? FunkOdyssey?

hmm.... this is tougher than I thought.

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 11 June 2009 - 02:13 AM.

#13 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:20 AM

If the picking gets tough then pick randomly, or go by who is online more most recently.

Can yoiu guys try to keep this moving along and see what you can do to try to develop it? I would stick with it but my plate is pretty full. We have the imminst store firing up more fully pretty soon. Its rough draft at imminst.org/store now. If you can get this together in time then we can release it with the official opening of the full store.

#14 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

Hi brokenportal,

I am not in the position to ask folks about this, I am not a Director for imminst, or someone who can get time from these guys. I am a just member with access to making the supplements. If I start pushing folks about this, I think I will look pretty awful...

I think you should put out a call for smart volunteers or folks who are interested to help formulate and manage this task.

A

#15 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:25 PM

There are some things posted at the CR society, credited to Michael Rae -- here http://www.caloriere...ary?vid=cr2-rae

http://www.caloriere...vid=cr2-rae-pt2

http://www.caloriere...07-summary.html

Might be a starting point.

#16 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Hi Brokenportal,

can you check with Micheal, to see if he is up for it?

A

#17 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hi gents,

Listen: I know that this SOUNDS like a good idea, and indeed, I proposed almost the exact same thing to the CR Society several years back: I'm sure that it would be picked up by a significant number of people and raise some cash, and maybe even bring in a few new members (come for the supplements -- stay for radical biomedical gerontology!). However, I suggest that there are very real dangers to this proposal. I am honored to be asked my input on formulating such a product, but I must respectfully decline, and I urge Imminst and its sister groups will not take it up with anyone else, either.

There are 2 parts to the proposal, and each has its own do-not-pass go problem:

a multi vitamin and nootropic mix with the main things supported around here, and then cap off 1 to 5 versions or so of this? [...]

Also, can you mix nootropics with supplements? Im not sure if Ive ever heard of such a mix. Seems like it should be a good seller. If it had a link to a web site that supports unlimited lifespans then I would promote it, buy it for people I know, etc..

First, if there's one message that I'd've hoped would have come out from the lecture notes etc that Maxwatt linked, and also my own (sorely out-of-date, but not radically inaccurate, and good as an example of the heuristic in action) personal supplement regimen, it's that the whole concept of a supplement that everybody should be taking -- even a multivitamin, let alone wonking around with noots or exotics like pyridoxamine, lipoic acid, resveratrol, etc -- is a dangerous delusion that ignores both dietary and biochemical individuality. Even eating diets that are otherwise very healthy, almost everyone has a variety of mild deficiencies and imbalances in their day-to-day eating pattern, and the special strictures of a many 'health-food' diets tend to take away some of the wiggle room that people with basically healthy but non-health-nut diets afford through variety. have to fill in gaps in their nutritional pattern. Moreover, people's understanding and characterization of their own diets tend to be quite mistaken: they come into their dietary habits by a lifelong mixture of culture, habit, availability, and taste that they've never deeply analyzed and haven't compared to any Platonic standard, with the result that they really don't know what they're eating or how it compares to average diets or dietary guidelines. Taking a generic 'multivitamin for all!' tends to exaggerate, not correct, for these imbalances.

What should be happening is that each individual person should make the investment in dollars and time to at least periodically do what my fellow practitioners of Calorie restriction do every day, which is to record and quantitate everything you eat for a few typical days – not days when you're 'being good,' but a genuinely representative sample. If you don't have them already, pick up a set of measuring cups (for liquids and solids) and spoons; also spend some money on a digital food scale accurate to 1 gram (postal scales are an easier-to-find and usually less expensive route to the same end). When you make food for yourself, weigh or measure it out; when you eat pre-packaged foods, carefully record the relevant information; keep a PDA or small pad of paper with you, and carefully evaluate small snacks and drinks eaten out.

Plug all this information into nutritional software, such as Aaron Davidson and coworkers' excellent shareware program CRON-O-Meter (on whose design I consulted) or the also-excellent NutritionData.com. If a food isn't on the list, you can use the Command-F (or Food > New Food) function to enter information about it, from the package or online sources like The Daily Plate and Calorie King; Google searches for the food name plus "nutrition facts" or (calories protein calcium) are also often successful.

Then, figure out what you're actually missing (or getting in excess or in imbalance), and first try to fix the problem starting where it originates, by shifting your diet; then, plug in any remaining gaps with a pill for that specific nutrient.

The only exception I would make: except for people running around half-naked at midday at low latitudes (ie, people who are Damned Fools about skin cancer), almost no one can meet their vitamin D needs from diet and sun exposure on a year-round basis. Take a supplement of 800-1000 IU/d, and a month or so later, get your 5-hydroxyvitamin D3 (25(OH)D3) tested, targeting 30 to 40 ng/mL (or, equivalently, 75-100 nmol/L); adjust and re-test as needed. And, it's worth saying, that even this is not an absolutely clear-cut case: all the clinical trials are in older, generally osteoporotic people (generally women), and none lasts more than 5 years or so; there's a case to be made (1) that young, healthy, calcium-replete people might, over the course of many decades of supplementation at the same doses, do themselves some actual harm. I judge the risks worth taking for myself; I'd be reluctant to endorse Imminst more or less putting the stuff in the water, with its imprimatur.

And, in any case, if you put a gun to my head and force me to suggest a multivitamin, I've already done it, of course: back in my former career, I formulated this and an earlier (and, I'm sad to say, better) version of this (tho' they have, happily, bumped down the selenium levels in response to new research, and do intend to also lower the folic acid); if you make me make a suggestion, it's that you take a half-dose of one or the other, plus extra vitamin D.

But I'd really prefer you leave your firearm in its holster and take out your food scales instead.

Now, problem number 2:

Either something non legally binding could be put on it like "As supported by the members of the Immortality Institute", or somebody could look into what legalities we would be getting into if it were called someting like, "Immortality Institute supplements and noontropics mix".

Some names I think would work great for helping spread the meme would be things like, "Immortality Institute, supplement and nootropic mix" and "Longevity Escape Velocity, helping acheive unlimited lifespans."

All of this implies the very dangerous and quite mistaken bromide that supplements are going to contribute to achieving unlimited lifespans, contribute to retarding aging, etc. Beyond the correction of frank deficiencies, there's no real evidence for that, and it tends to make people complacent about things that actually do have a chance of working (CR, SENS) on the basis that they think they have something in hand already (lots and lots of folks out there keep piping up on the boards to the effect that they don't have to bother with CR since they're taking resverarol, when (again) there is absolutely no credible evidence that resveratrol is a CR-mimetic, and the available evidence, though incomplete, weighs in against it -- nothing personal, Anthony!).

There's also a very real danger of conflicts of interest once Imminst has our reputation or finances tied to a supplement (or, worse, line of supplements). Will people be ready to throw an inventory into the ocean and take refunds if some ingredient turns out to be probably toxic? What would we do in cases like potential cancer-promoting effect of folic acid, or the worries about supra-RDA intake of selenium? Would we discontinue massively revenue-generating formulations? How firm would we be in counselling people to take real care in formulating their regimens, and not just promote (by intent or ab silentio) everyone taking everything? What would we do with the already-difficult problem of controlling vendor spam and critiques of products, when they were our products -- our formulations, our reputations, and our income -- on the line, under attack from competitors?

We'd also then lose a great deal of credibility with the non-radical-life-extension world, being caricatured as supplement-hawkers rather than a real, nonprofit advocacy and research organization; this would impair our ability to turn ourselves into a genuinely effective lobby for the cause, as I hope we will some day be. Just look at the debate and problems with even the name "Immortality Institute," and the internal debate it caused in recent times.

I'm sorry to say that LEF has stumbled across these triplines repeatedly in its history, and never fully righted itself, despite the core sincerity of the founders; I'd hate to see Imminst stuck in the same ethical quagmires.

I suggest that, attractive as it might sound, we shelve this idea, let people keep debating the issues as individuals on the Boards, but institutionally stick to our real knitting, to which we're only really beginning to get down in a serious way: Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans.

-Michael

1. Calcium, vitamin D, and bone health: how much do adults need?
John J.B. Anderson
Nutrition & Food Science, Volume: 39, Number: 4, Year: 2009, pp: 337-341

Edited by Michael, 17 August 2009 - 07:33 PM.
better wording + typo

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#18 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

Michael,

Your insistence on weighing things and finding out current body levels before hand is informative and convincing. There is probably a way the immortality institute can help get that kind of thing going more, and popularize and facilitate that kind of thing more too. We'll all have to think about it and keep our eyes open and consider a potential team to help develop it here or somewhere.

In the mean time though, people are buying multi's. We may as well get a label or 10 out there that helps meme in the cause. We can even, potentially, consider putting information about weighing and finding levels before hand on the labels. Many of the supplements people that come to the immortality institute are so close, they are like fish we have on the line, we may as well put a little more effort into seeing if we cant reel a few more of them in by putting labels on some of the bottles about the cause. Depending on the number of people these bottles got out to, this could be anywhere from a small side thing, to huge. I know I would help promote mixes with such labels on them when the opportunities presented themselves.

Believe me, Im with you on the idea of not wanting to meander toward things that could over characterize us as supplements gimmick, high pressure salesmen, like you see everywhere you go these days. I dont think this would, to the contrary, it seems it would be an additional bridge, it would be a message in a bottle that the high pressure gimmick people would actually help disseminate all around for us.

Taking this all in to account, it seems that the best option would be to use a fairly organization neutral name like Longevity Escape Velocity Mix. If a vendor, hopefully Anthony, would agree to it then we wouldn’t even need to make profit or have rights to it if it meant we didn’t have to dabble in the insurance and liabilities and stock control and all that. It would pretty much just be, one of Anthony’s, or a few peoples mixes, with a label that we might be able to convince them to use, on some bottles

Then like many of us agree, we would want to put something in the description on the bottle like, “This mix can not gain you an unlimited lifespan, but it can help you stay healthy until the cutting edge research breakthroughs that are working to end aging, that are underway, do. Visit the growing, historic movement of Advocates & Researchers for Unlimited Lifespans at arul.org” (maybe longecity.com, maybe something else, etc..)

Then maybe on another part of the label, “A multi can take you so far. Customize your regimen with us at arul.org/regimen” (or other)

This is just what I see, but it seems we could use somebody to take your two mix links, maybe scale down the things like the folic acid, beef it up with d and resveratrol, and then put in a low dose of the most uncontroversial of the natural noots.

Of course, this could all be modified and tweaked for max effectiveness.

So basically,

-A multi isn’t the best. Ok but people buy them, so put the label on them and advertise personal regimen on them.
-We don’t want the liability. Alright, we don’t need profit or control of the mix. Keep that and all profit with somebody like Anthony. That’s what they do anyways.
-We don’t want to be tied to supplements, but the immortality institute store with dozens of things, and 1 or 2 mixes wouldn’t make us look like we were all supplements. Especially when they see everything else like fund raisers and projects for non supplements things etc.. Its the lack of action topics for indefinite life extension (growing though) in the face of flourishing supplements discussion that makes us look like we are a supplements gimmick. That continues to balance out though. A few mixes would be part of that balance.
-We wouldn’t have to put it in the store, and we wouldn’t have to offer it to everybody. We could say, avoid offering it to non supplements people where we might chance making them think we are a supplements gimmick, by offering a free bottle not to all new members, but to all new members who find the offer in the supplements section.
-this could meme in more poignant target crowds, and that’s one of our main goals.
-we don’t have the perfect solution worked out here yet, but we can continue to tweak this proposal and see if we can find one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users