• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

My dad was just diagnosed with 3 brain tumors, advice needed.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 blazewind

• 77 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:18 AM

The origin of the cancer has not been discovered yet.

The doctor told him he will go on chemotherapy.

I would tell my parents about supplements before but they never wanted to take them.
He told me he will take anything I say now though and trusts me 100%.

The starting budget is $10/day $300/month, but could go up to $600 or $900 a month if I thought it was necessary.
I'm sure many people here have plans like this all setup for anti-cancer or anti-brain cancer so if anyone could give me advice on how to go about this, I would appreciate this. I am going to be researching my proposed plan for a week but I would like some help getting started as I am a little shooken up at the moment.

Thanks,
blazewind

#2 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:00 AM

Check out methyl jasmonate.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 k10

• Guest, F@H
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:27 AM

& IV vitamin C
& High dose resveratrol

We really beat the topic of cancer treatments to death when Bill O'Rights was fighting the fight of his life, you can see all 155 (!) pages here:
http://www.imminst.o...cer-t23038.html

But 3 brain tumors... that shocked me... I'm really sorry something like this had to happen.

Edited by k10, 18 July 2009 - 01:28 AM.

#4 makoss

• 76 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:28 AM

Check out methyl jasmonate.

I really believe much more research must be conducted but check out this study done in Spain.

http://health.usnews...ain-cancer.html

Edited by makoss, 18 July 2009 - 01:29 AM.

#5 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:45 AM

you need to explain what kind of brain tumor it is. some are related to certain types of viruses (herpes, etc.), some are related to occupational exposure and hazards (radiation, etc.).

Edited by prophets, 18 July 2009 - 03:51 AM.

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:30 AM

the first thing i would immediately get would be low dose naltrexone...

http://www.lowdosena..._and_cancer.htm

after that vitamin D, egcg & turmeric

#7 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:59 AM

New treatment for Brain cancer

Search the rest of the site. They mention methyl jasmonate and lithium. Also, PUBMED methyl jasmonate and cancer. Many studies...

I would also blend a stalk of broccoli raw and drink that everyday. Broc. has many anti-cancer properties. Better to get them direct.

Edited by Lufega, 18 July 2009 - 05:09 AM.

#8 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

Terrible news blazewind, I'm so sorry.
I suggest researching the combination of AHCC + Beta Glucans
High dose resveratrol sounds good
Broccoli *sprouts* have massive amounts of sulfurophanes in them, which are very potent anti-cancer agents, along with Indole-3-carbonil and possibly a few others.
I'd also look into IP6 (inositol hexaphosphate) Sounds promising

#9 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:32 AM

Sorry to hear about that :-D

Check out: http://www.lefcancer.org

And call their health advisors: 1-800-226-2370

You can also search for a good local oncologist/neurologist/etc. here: http://www.lef.org/H...ovativeDoctors/

Good luck to you & your dad

#10 Jay

• 406 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

Important to make sure none of the supplements suggested interfer with chemo as some supplements defintely do. You also might want to look into a ketogenic diet. There was a cancer thread recently (last week or two) that listed all these things too, with a bit more explanantion in some cases.

#11 blazewind

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

methyl jasmonate looks promising, I will research on pubmed and read the actual studies.

High dose resveratrol
vitamin D, egcg & turmeric

IV vitamin C
low dose naltrexone
AHCC + Beta Glucans
Broccoli *sprouts*
lithium
IP6 (inositol hexaphosphate)
Indole-3-carbonil

Thanks, forgot about IV vitamins, good idea. Any other things that should be IV?

I'll read this whole topic:
http://www.imminst.o...cer-t23038.html
and search for more topics like this, if anyone has any topics they feel are extremely important that I might miss accidentally let me know.

Interesting about marijuana, I'll read the actual scientific studies about it

Concerning what type of brain tumors they are... the doctor just called to give him the news the day after the MRI scan and did not mention the types. Just that they were metastatic. I need this information as soon as possible though. Maybe I can call the hospital and see if they have more information yet, I'm not sure if you can determine this through just a MRI? Next step is a CAT scan on Monday to determine the origin of the cancer.

The tumors are
1. back of the brain and this one is protruding onto a optical nerve #6 and causing double vision (this is why he went to the hospital)
2. there is one on the right side of the brain
3. between the middle of the brain and the left side of the brain

When my dad said he was getting an MRI I told him to request the images (and sure enough they gave him a cd of hundreds of images for $5.25 extra) so I'll also have the images to investigate.

broccoli raw - will implement this immediately, thanks.

will read http://www.lefcancer.org

about supplements that interfere with chemo, anyone have a good list? or supplements that counter effect the side effects of chemo, and keep blood cell count high?

I researched the ketogenic diet before but not with cancer, will research.

Anyway thank you for the head start guys, today I will investigate these things and also read medical brain tumor textbooks... I just graduated with an undergraduate degree in neurobiology and I work at a hospital and a neuroscience lab and I'm planning getting a MD PhD so hopefully I will be able to assimilate everything quickly.

Also, does anyone have any relative gauge compared to the average brain cancer diagnosis on how serious this is? Do people usually discover 1 tumor at a time or is 3 like this in different parts of the brain really rare?

My parents are selling their house, moving by me because in my city (madison, wi) there is a huge hospital system and it will be much faster to get an ambulance if needed since they live in the middle of nowhere at the moment.

Once again thanks everyone, I turned to you guys because there is a lot of misinformation out there... I am going into scientific research and will fight the aging process with determination to achieve our goals.

#12 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

Some thoughts, FWIW (ain't much):

Thanks, forgot about IV vitamins, good idea. Any other things that should be IV?
Not vitamins. Vitamin C. I can't remember any other vitamins showing any efficacy.

Concerning what type of brain tumors they are... the doctor just called to give him the news the day after the MRI scan and did not mention the types. Just that they were metastatic. I need this information as soon as possible though. Maybe I can call the hospital and see if they have more information yet, I'm not sure if you can determine this through just a MRI? Next step is a CAT scan on Monday to determine the origin of the cancer.
prophets, they could be metastases from an occult tumor, which may be even gone by now and might never be discovered. But not knowing the origin makes treatment more difficult. Did the doctor say what sort of treatment they're planing to use? (type of chemo, radiation, etc) If you know the typoe of tumour focus on the best/proven therapies.

about supplements that interfere with chemo, anyone have a good list? or supplements that counter effect the side effects of chemo, and keep blood cell count high? Don't forget to talk to the oncologists before implementing much of anything. Find another oncologist if he's not helpful. Some phase I trial or other experimental treatment at a good hospital might be the best course of action...

I researched the ketogenic diet before but not with cancer, will research. Good idea, now that he has brain cancer anyway, it really doesn't matter that there is a remote possibility of promoting brain metastasis via ketosis.

Also, does anyone have any relative gauge compared to the average brain cancer diagnosis on how serious this is? Do people usually discover 1 tumor at a time or is 3 like this in different parts of the brain really rare? I don't, but I'm assuming that you are aware that people usually do not survive metastatic disease (perhaps, even more so if it is in the brain). If you've got the money and don't mind the low chance of success, you should consider cryonics.

Avoid pseudo-science and read ORAC's blog (you can sort the posts, only showing the cancer posts). Some posts on DCA, vit C  and some more. DCA is undergoing trials as a treatment for some form of brain cancer IIRC.

http://scienceblogs....y_just_keep.php

http://scienceblogs....s_worst_n_1.php

http://scienceblogs....ical_trials.php

http://scienceblogs....r_magical_t.php

http://scienceblogs....s_pauling_b.php

http://scienceblogs....tion_part_2.php

http://www.scienceba...?p=518#more-518
http://www.scienceda...90526140842.htm

Edited by kismet, 18 July 2009 - 09:11 PM.

#13 stateless

• 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

Could it be a secondary tumor as opposed to a primary one?

#14 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:57 AM

Could it be a secondary tumor as opposed to a primary one?

He mentioned that the tumors were metastatic making them secondary tumors.

As well, look into Graviola.

#15 pheonix

• 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

My dad died a couple years ago of glioblastoma multiforme. We tried also every supplement we could find in pubmed for it along with the therapies he was given (he had the same treating neurooncologist as Ted Kennedy). Don't recall what they all were exactly but high dose NAC, ascorbic acid and moderate dose selenium were tried in addition to a bunch of other things.

I would hope for the best, but plan for 12-24 months (as you've probably been told).

edit: Oh, it's metastatic, you might have a chance but my aunt died from metastatic brain cancer in twelve months too, CNS metastasis almost always has a terrible prognosis. What's the primary carcinoma?

Edited by pheonix, 20 July 2009 - 04:22 PM.

#16 blazewind

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

So for the first wave of supplements, I have ordered these.
I was going to go with LEF mix or ortho core multivitamin, but I wanted to avoid copper since copper may help the tumors.

* 1 of NSI Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol) -- 1000 IU - 200 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Natural Food Carotenes w/ Betatene -- 120 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Vitamin-B Complex -- 180 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Advan-C® with Quercetin & Citrus Bioflavonoids -- 1000 mg - 180 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Natural Vitamin E -- 1,000 IU - 60 Softgels
* 1 of NSI Selenium Select -- 200 mcg - 200 Capsules
* 1 of NSI L-OptiZinc -- 30 mg of Zinc - 200 Capsules
* 1 of NSI AHCC®+ Immune Booster -- 1,000 mg per serving- 60 Capsules
* 1 of Source Naturals Beta Glucan Purified Beta - 1,3/1,6-Glucan -- 250 mg - 30 Tablets
* 1 of Jarrow Formulas Curcumin 95 -- 500 mg - 120 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Teavigo™ Caffeine Free -- 150 mg EGCG - 60 Capsules
* 1 of Amazon Therapeutic Labs Graviola -- 650 mg - 200 Vegiecaps
* 1 of NSI Ashwagandha Extract -- 470 mg per serving - 120 Capsules
* 1 of Source Naturals Calcium D-Glucarate -- 500 mg - 60 Tablets
* 1 of NSI IP-6 Inositol Hexaphosphate -- 500 mg - 240 Capsules
* 1 of NSI DIM Complex with BroccoSinolate - 525 mg per serving -- 120 Capsules
* 1 of NSI I3C (Indole-3-Carbinol) with Broccoli Extract -- 200 mg - 120 Capsules
* 1 of NSI CoQ10 + Alpha Lipoic Acid + Acetyl L-Carnitine -- 60 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Quercetin & Bromelain -- 250 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Boswellia Extract -- 307 mg - 120 Tablets
* 1 of New Chapter Zyflamend Easy Caps -- 180 Softgel Capsules
* 1 of NSI Mega EFA® Omega-3 EPA & DHA -- 2126 mg - 120 Softgels
* 1 of NSI Standardized Milk Thistle Extract -- 600 mg per serving - 100 Capsules
RevGenetics Micronized Resveratrol & Tween 80 250mg 30 Capsules X 2

I will be tweaking this as I make more research, but for now if anyone sees any mistakes I have made or essential things I have missed please let me know.

Also I am going to get a consultation from nutritional-solutions.net, she seems to take a scientific approach and specializes in brain cancer nutrition.

As for the origin of the primary cancer, an appointment for the CT scan has been set up.

Treatment for the brain tumors will be chemo therapy (exact drugs are not yet known)

I have the MRI images, and it looks like they are in the beginning stages and are too far deep in the brain for surgery or specific radiation treatment yet.

I believe it may be from a Pterygium which is a benign tumor on the eye or at least that's what a doctor said. I did some further research and found some information that said Pterygiums have a 20% chance of having SSC/carcinoma, and the SSC/carcinoma has a 5% chance of becoming metastatic. So he is going to get the Pterygium tested for SSC/carcinoma.

Next we are going to try methyl jasmonate, and I'll research other experimental things that are supported by scientific studies. Hopefully when the primary cancer is found I can zone in and find specific experimental drugs for that kind of cancer.

Unfortunately I tried to change his diet to zero processed sugars but it seems he had a mental breakdown (since he just found out about this) and could not physically eat the food so I switched him back to processed food because he was getting less than 500 calories a day. Hopefully once he has accepted this more we can switch to zero processed sugars. Also he is not sleeping well which is bad since sleep is essential for correct brain functioning and I am unsure of how to calm him down.

Edited by blazewind, 20 July 2009 - 05:58 PM.

#17 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:35 PM

blazewind,

Very sorry to hear of your dad's situation. Good luck with the fight.

It looks like you have a great starting list. As someone mentioned, William O'Rights' thread contains a *lot* of information. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned cancer molecular profiling yet. That's something that was being looked into near the end of William's fight.

Here is a post that William made about it. He was considering a company called Genzyme Genetics, although there are others too. Here is a piece of literature he found that may provide value to you.

Here is more info on the ketogenic diet that has already been mentioned. It is just a Time article, referencing research being done at the time (2007).

The good news is that for five patients who were able to endure three months of carb-free eating, the results were positive: the patients stayed alive, their physical condition stabilized or improved and their tumors slowed or stopped growing, or shrunk. These early findings have elicited "very positive reactions and an increased interest from colleagues," Kämmerer says, while cautioning that the results are preliminary and that the study was not designed to test efficacy, but to identify side effects and determine the safety of the diet-based approach. So far, it's impossible to predict whether it will really work. It is already evident that it doesn't always: two patients recently left the study because their tumors kept growing, even though they stuck to the diet.

Here is a 2007 study, using the ketogenic diet on mice.

"Our studies in mice were motivated in part by the previous studies of Linda Nebeling and co-workers who showed that a calorically restricted medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) ketogenic diet was effective for the long-term management of malignant brain cancer in children," Dr. Seyfried explained. "Our work in mice strongly supports the original study."

Another mouse study from 2007. This one is on gastric cancer cells, but it discusses adding Omega 3 (and medium-chain tryglycerides) to the ketogenic diet.

Conclusion
Application of an unrestricted ketogenic diet enriched with omega-3 fatty acids and MCT delayed tumour growth in a mouse xenograft model. Further studies are needed to address the impact of this diet on other tumour-relevant functions such as invasive growth and metastasis.

Just ran across this. I don't remember it being mentioned before.

A study on Isothiocyanate Iberin's effect on brain cancer.

Abstract;In this study, we evaluated the antiproliferative and proapoptotic effects of the isothiocyanate iberin, a bioactive agent in Brassicaceae species, in human glioblastoma cells. The human glioblastoma cell cultures were treated with different concentrations of iberin and tested for growth inhibition, cytotoxicity, induction of apoptosis, and activation of caspases. Iberin inhibited growth of tumor cells in cell proliferation assays, enhanced cytotoxicity, and induced apoptosis by activation of caspase-3 and caspase-9. Findings from this study could provide a basis for potential usefulness of the diet-derived isothiocyanate iberin as a promising therapeutic micronutrient in the prevention/intervention of brain tumors. (Author abst.)

And more information on Isothiocyanates from the Linus Pauling Institute, including food sources.

David

#18 pheonix

• 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:52 PM

Unfortunately I tried to change his diet to zero processed sugars but it seems he had a mental breakdown (since he just found out about this) and could not physically eat the food so I switched him back to processed food because he was getting less than 500 calories a day. Hopefully once he has accepted this more we can switch to zero processed sugars. Also he is not sleeping well which is bad since sleep is essential for correct brain functioning and I am unsure of how to calm him down.

With CNS tumours things like sleep can go out the window and psychosis and other psychiatric disorders can result. My father kept extremely odd hours about 6 months after diagnosis up until he died (I recall he died 16 months after diagnosis). The psychosis manifested about 9 months in (similar timeline for my aunt). This seems much more common when there is tumour involvement in the temporal lobe and it seems very difficult to treat. Both of them failed to respond to treatments of antipsychotics or sedatives.

Edited by pheonix, 20 July 2009 - 10:08 PM.

#19 Joey

• 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

So for the first wave of supplements, I have ordered these.
I was going to go with LEF mix or ortho core multivitamin, but I wanted to avoid copper since copper may help the tumors.

* 1 of NSI Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol) -- 1000 IU - 200 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Natural Food Carotenes w/ Betatene -- 120 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Vitamin-B Complex -- 180 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Advan-C® with Quercetin & Citrus Bioflavonoids -- 1000 mg - 180 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Natural Vitamin E -- 1,000 IU - 60 Softgels
* 1 of NSI Selenium Select -- 200 mcg - 200 Capsules
* 1 of NSI L-OptiZinc -- 30 mg of Zinc - 200 Capsules
* 1 of NSI AHCC®+ Immune Booster -- 1,000 mg per serving- 60 Capsules
* 1 of Source Naturals Beta Glucan Purified Beta - 1,3/1,6-Glucan -- 250 mg - 30 Tablets
* 1 of Jarrow Formulas Curcumin 95 -- 500 mg - 120 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Teavigo™ Caffeine Free -- 150 mg EGCG - 60 Capsules
* 1 of Amazon Therapeutic Labs Graviola -- 650 mg - 200 Vegiecaps
* 1 of NSI Ashwagandha Extract -- 470 mg per serving - 120 Capsules
* 1 of Source Naturals Calcium D-Glucarate -- 500 mg - 60 Tablets
* 1 of NSI IP-6 Inositol Hexaphosphate -- 500 mg - 240 Capsules
* 1 of NSI DIM Complex with BroccoSinolate - 525 mg per serving -- 120 Capsules
* 1 of NSI I3C (Indole-3-Carbinol) with Broccoli Extract -- 200 mg - 120 Capsules
* 1 of NSI CoQ10 + Alpha Lipoic Acid + Acetyl L-Carnitine -- 60 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Quercetin & Bromelain -- 250 Capsules
* 1 of NSI Boswellia Extract -- 307 mg - 120 Tablets
* 1 of New Chapter Zyflamend Easy Caps -- 180 Softgel Capsules
* 1 of NSI Mega EFA® Omega-3 EPA & DHA -- 2126 mg - 120 Softgels
* 1 of NSI Standardized Milk Thistle Extract -- 600 mg per serving - 100 Capsules
RevGenetics Micronized Resveratrol & Tween 80 250mg 30 Capsules X 2

I will be tweaking this as I make more research, but for now if anyone sees any mistakes I have made or essential things I have missed please let me know.

Also I am going to get a consultation from nutritional-solutions.net, she seems to take a scientific approach and specializes in brain cancer nutrition.

As for the origin of the primary cancer, an appointment for the CT scan has been set up.

Treatment for the brain tumors will be chemo therapy (exact drugs are not yet known)

I have the MRI images, and it looks like they are in the beginning stages and are too far deep in the brain for surgery or specific radiation treatment yet.

I believe it may be from a Pterygium which is a benign tumor on the eye or at least that's what a doctor said. I did some further research and found some information that said Pterygiums have a 20% chance of having SSC/carcinoma, and the SSC/carcinoma has a 5% chance of becoming metastatic. So he is going to get the Pterygium tested for SSC/carcinoma.

Next we are going to try methyl jasmonate, and I'll research other experimental things that are supported by scientific studies. Hopefully when the primary cancer is found I can zone in and find specific experimental drugs for that kind of cancer.

Just a word of caution:
In the case of Boswellia Serrata there is both in vitro indication of activity & one anecdoctal case report of a success in treating brain metastases from breast.
However Boswellia Serrata appears to inhibit the P450 enzyme which metabolizes some chemo drugs. So the concurrent administration of the supplement & such a drug can reduce the efficacy of the drug & increase its toxicity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm....Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm....8?dopt=Abstract

#20 Joey

• 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:08 AM

Experimental non invasive brain cancer surgeries.
Not yet available to every patient but worth keeping in mind if more clinical trials come up.

Focused ultrasonic beams & electric fields are two new treatments which have undergone small pilot trials with positive results.
In addition to avoid invasive skull surgery, they have the advantage of reaching deep seated tumours & to treat multiple tumours which is not possible with conventional or even laparoscopic surgery. They also minimize hospital stays.

Non-invasive Brain Surgery: Successful Neurosurgery With Transcranial MR-guided High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound (23 June 2009)
http://www.scienceda...90622064711.htm

Electric field pilot trial (2007)
http://www.sciencent...le_id=218392979

Electric field & chemotherapy pilot trial (2009)
http://www.pubmedcen...i?artid=2647898

Edited by Joey, 21 July 2009 - 02:11 AM.

#21 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:05 AM

i can't add much to this thread in terms of supplements beyond what has already been suggested.

with unlimited money/opportunity, my best advice would be to look up Mick Bhatia, a canadian doctor (http://dailynews.mcm...ory.cfm?id=3132).

i can't remember with 100% certainty and i'm not well read in the area of cancer (so take this all with a grain of salt) -- but i'm fairly sure he was the first scientist to identify the molecular signature of cancer stem cells. i think he runs a cancer research/treatment center in Canada. he has done a lot of work on the signaling mechanisms involved in how a cancer (stem cell portions + other cancer daughter cells) transmit signals and move around in the body (ie. metastasesizes). i think he's working on a so-called "cure" that focuses on killing the parent cancer stem cells, which are supposedly the biggest problem with treating cancer.. whereas the daughter cells are not as dangerous (as i think his theory goes).

#22 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:49 AM

I notice you have quercetin on the list. It may be a good anti-cancer supplement, but you need to know that it may interrupt the livers ability to deal with certain chemo drugs.

Edited by 1kgcoffee, 21 July 2009 - 04:58 AM.

#23 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:48 AM

I notice you have quercetin on the list. It may be a good anti-cancer supplement, but you need to know that it may interrupt the livers ability to deal with certain chemo drugs.

I was about to say this.

Good luck. Try adding things one at a time to increase the likelyhood that he'll tolerate them well. Be sure to talk with his physician about interactions.

#24 blazewind

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:30 AM

Thanks everyone!

I will not give him quercetin or Boswellia Serrata.
I know some supplements are controversial with chemotherapy but if anyone has any arguments for any of the others being totally contradicted for chemo yet let me know.

At the moment I am working on transferring him to the university of wisconsin madison hospital as it is a research hospital, I even work here and they have experimental procedures/drugs here.

I'm also working with someone who has gone through the same thing who was told he had 2 weeks to live with metastases in the brain, and is now going on 1.5 years.

Thursday hopefully we will know the primary cancer so then we can zone in on that.

They don't have any money saved and I am paying for these supplements out of my own pocket but luckily he has unlimited government healthcare through badgercare in wisconsin so there is no fear of being kicked off insurance.

Edited by blazewind, 21 July 2009 - 07:39 AM.

#25 annanf

• 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:23 PM

From my ongoing cancer research for metastatic malignant melanoma (for my mother), I would suggest looking into the following:

Iron Chelators: IP6 (don't take with vit C) and Artemisinin (artemesia annua). Most cancers need iron and copper to grow.
Beta Glucans: (1) From Yeast - Diamond V XPC (see forum), Epicor, Avemar (2) Mushrooms extracts (New Chapter Liver Force has lots of PSK - Coriolus versicolor), AHCC, Chaga, etc.
Other Immune Boosters: Arabinogalactan (Larix), Colostrum (Symbiotics powder form will last a long time), Aloe Vera
Protein: Whey (Defense Nutrition) - Your body needs protein, but too much is correlated with higher cancer rates.
Liver Support: Milk thistle
5-LOX Inhibitors (reduces inflammation): quercetin > eugenol (oil of cloves) > curcumin (turmeric) > cinnamaldehyde (cinnamon) > piperine (black pepper) > capsaicin (chili peppers) > allyl sulfide (garlic, onions, leeks). Others: stearidonic acid (hemp oil, black current seed oil, cyanobacterium spirulina), ashwagandha, boswellia serrata (Indian frankincense), Holy Basil, Pycnogenol, ginger. Omega 3 (Combinations of above are synergistic)
COX-2 Inhibitors (reduces inflammation): Curcumin, Holy Basil, EGCG (Green Tea), Ginger, pomegranate, Omega 3 Fatty Acids, Flavonoids/Phenolics - heated tomatoes, genistein, quercetin
COX-1 Inhibitors (COX-1 protects the kidneys, stomach lining and circulation, but some cancers cells (like ovarian), express COX-1: bayberry bark, pine bark (pycnogenol), willow bark, pomegranate, ginger
Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF)-Alpha Inhibitors: Flavonoids - Catechins (tea leaves, grape seeds, Pycnogenol (pine bark), EGCG, Luteolin
Telomerase inhibitors: garlic, curcumin, vitamin E, fish oil, resveratrol, and quercetin, green tea, melatonin, silymarin
Angiogenesis Inhibitors: alpha lipoic acid, bindweed, butcher’s broom, curcumin, genistein, green tea, honeylocust fruit, quercetin, selenium, shark cartilage, and silimarin. catechins, modified citrus pectin
Fatty Acids: Increase Omega 3 (most people are deficient), Barleans flax seed oil (Budwig diet), fish oil, etc.
Other: Modified Citrus Pectin, Essiac, Graviola, Paw Paw juice (look it up - I know someone in Australia whose father cured his lung cancer from boiling leaves and stems from the papaya tree and drinking the juice - it's an old Aboriginal recipe)
Vitamins: Multi (without copper and iron), selenium & zinc (at different times), Vitamin D (5000 mg), CoQ10 with Vit E (mixed gamma E), B vitamins like B-Right (depleted by chemotherapy), Vitamin C
Exercise daily
Probiotics & Digestive Enzymes
Proteolytic Enzymes (on empty stomach). (Google Proteolytic Enzymes cancer)
Detoxification (best to start slowly as to not overwhelm the system)
Lots of organic fruits and vegetables, grass fed dairy (yogurt, kefir, raw milk), grass fed meat in moderation (grains are higher in Omega 6 and not natural)
Stress reduction
Reduce EMF's (keep cell phone/cordless phone at least a few inches from ear). Brain cancer has been on the rise since introduction of cordless & cell phones.

Note: Curcumin - take at least 3.5 grams at one time, perhaps building up to 7-10 grams. Must be mixed with a fat (coconut milk or oil) and pepper. Best to pay attention to whether something is fat soluble, needs to be taken on an empty stomach for best results, etc. I combine with EGCG, Genistein and Vit D (synergistic combo).

If your father is going to do chemo, you should look into any interactions.

Best of luck to you and your father.

#26 annanf

• 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:45 PM

I'd also take Vitamim K because many of those supplements are blood thinners.
You might also consider broccoli seed extracts.

#27 Maven

• 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

The origin of the cancer has not been discovered yet.
blazewind

I've been interested in and following nutraceutical treatments for over 40 years, and truly the only success I've heard for brain cancer is Dr. Nicholas J. Gonzalez's protocol of rigorous 'round the clock supplementary doses of pancreatin, diet modification, and supplemental nutrients. This doctor has focused mainly on terminal pancreatic cancer, but his website mentions a remission in a woman who had brain lesions secondary to breast cancer. For an alternative MD, he charges suprisingly reasonable fees, and has quite a few successes when all the other professionals had given up. If it were my dad, I'd try to get him there somehow, or work w/ the doctor over the phone by sending copies of all your Dad's records including test results, and doing any tests that the doctor needs locally. I truly would, and I'd beg or borrow to make it happen. Standard medicine just doesn't have a good answer for this, and even if it's a long shot, it's his only shot. Treating this w/ chemo is actually controversial since it isn't a cure, and makes the patient miserable in his remaining time. The NIH has been allowing Dr. Gonzalez to continue his treatment protocol as a "study" because he keeps saving people who were given up for dead. Because they don't understand how it works, they won't fund major studies, but they let him do his thing. You can find the doctor by Googling his name in quotes along w/ pancreatin. I hope you, personally, have a good support system, because what's going on is happening to you as well. You deserve someone caring for your wellbeing, too.

#28 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:48 PM

I've been interested in and following nutraceutical treatments for over 40 years, and truly the only success I've heard for brain cancer is Dr. Nicholas J. Gonzalez's protocol of rigorous 'round the clock supplementary doses of pancreatin, diet modification, and supplemental nutrients.

Did the snake oil salesmen scent the sweet smell of looming demise? Oh, yes, it seems they did! Didn't take all too long for the ghouls to show up. And now just perish. Oh, btw, just so you know, if anything, the NCCAM and many studies it funds are a farce.

(if anyone finds this post offensive, and you should, fine; but if it is not appropriate just tell me and don't forget to leave message for the national cancer institute, quackwatch and ORAC)

Edited by kismet, 22 July 2009 - 11:05 PM.

#29 Maven

• 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:32 AM

Studies of Dr. Gonzalez's work are being funded by grants from Nestle and Proctor & Gamble, among others, not NCCAM (part of the National Cancer Institute), although they reviewed Dr. Gonzalez's work and found it one of the few to recommend for further study by the NIH. Though it has not been adopted by the cancer medical establishment, all studies of it both human and animal have had strong positive outcomes.

Edited by Maven, 23 July 2009 - 11:13 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:29 AM

In case of chemotherapy (usually after tumors have been surgically removed):

Important to make sure none of the supplements suggested interfer with chemo as some supplements defintely do. You also might want to look into a ketogenic diet.

I don't know Jay but i second his comments. In particular:
- Curcumin badly interacts with a chemotherapy (can't remember which one, Bill mentionned it in his thread)
- Fasting one or two days before every chemo allows the body to be more resistant to chemo, but not the cancer cells (at least in mice and for some tested cancers)
If needed i can look for the references.

I know people who had brain tumors removed and are ok today. In all cases, stay close: for the dad and for the doctors: discussing with them, asking about what they might be doing, etc helps them think right and take care of him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users