• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Would taking zoledronic acid w/ Rapamycin be ideal for life extention?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Doc Eight or DE

• 54 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

Would taking Zoledronic acid with Rapamycin to further extend the life of mammals?

Anyone wanna else think this is worth looking further into?

http://en.wikipedia....Zoledronic_acid

Osteoporosis drug may save lives by strengthening immune system
July 15th, 2009 An osteoporosis drug proven to save lives after hip fractures may do so by strengthening the body's immune system, according to geriatrics researchers at Duke University Medical Center.

In 2007, Duke researchers reported a 28 percent reduction in death among patients who received zoledronic acid (Reclast) within 90 days of surgery for a hip fracture. Zoledronic acid is a yearly intravenous injection of bisphosphonate that inhibits the progression of bone loss. The researchers also reported that the 2,111 people who participated in the study were 35 percent less likely to suffer another fracture.

"The findings marked the first time an osteoporosis medication was shown to have an effect on mortality, but they didn't tell us why the mortality rate was lower," says Cathleen Colon-Emeric, MD, an associate professor of medicine at Duke. "People assumed it was due to a reduction in secondary fractures. We wanted to know if that was the reason or were other conditions being affected by the medication."

In the current study, now online in the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, Colon-Emeric and her colleagues report that the reduction in additional broken bones accounts for only eight percent of the mortality benefit. "Even after adjusting for secondary fractures and other risk factors, we found the risk of mortality was still 23 percent lower in the zoledronic acid-treated participants. That suggests the drug must work in other ways."

The link between osteoporosis and an increased risk of death has been observed for some time. Up to 25 percent of the 345,000 Americans hospitalized annually with hip fractures die within a year of their fracture. Typically, most patients die from cardiovascular problems like heart attacks, arrhythmias and strokes, infections such as pneumonia, and cancer.

"People who received the drug experienced common complications at the same rate as those who didn't," says Colon-Emeric. But the people in the zoledronic acid group were better able to survive these events. "In particular, people with certain cardiac problems such as arrhythmias and pneumonias were much less likely to die from those conditions."

Patients who lived in a nursing home before their broken hip, or who had high levels of cognitive impairment did not receive a mortality benefit from the drug.

It still remains unclear what role zoledronic acid plays. "We know it affects the immune system and inflammation, and both of those are important in fighting infection and cardiovascular disease," Colon-Emeric says. "It may be that the drug is changing the body's ability to fight off and recover from those illnesses." That idea will require confirmation in new studies.

Source: Duke University Medical Center (news : web)

Any thoughts fellow immortal's

Edited by Doc Eight or DE, 18 July 2009 - 09:35 PM.

#2 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

Too early & too dangerous if you don't have osteoporosis and I'd still prefer to use weekly risedronate due to some other promising CVD related data. The bisphosphonates are pretty interesting geriatric drugs, but there's no data in the young let alone data on live long supplementation and what it would do to bone metabolism.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 ppp

• 275 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:07 PM

Too early & too dangerous if you don't have osteoporosis and I'd still prefer to use weekly risedronate due to some other promising CVD related data. The bisphosphonates are pretty interesting geriatric drugs, but there's no data in the young let alone data on live long supplementation and what it would do to bone metabolism.

There's also the danger of osteo-necrosis of the jaw with the bisphosponates...

#4 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, and increased risk of atrial fibrillation, ocular inflammation, severe mucoskeletal pain and erosion of the esophagus. Osteonecrosis, though, is most often seen with high doses of i.v. bisphosphonates (e.g. zoledronate used for cancer), but this very fact makes me wary of i.v. zoledronate...

Edited by kismet, 20 August 2009 - 02:27 PM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

It's no surprise how much attention this gets, considering how horrible it is, but it's extremely rare, and it's largely been limited to some pretty well defined circumstances, like bone cancer patients who have gotten large IV doses. There have been a small number of cases in people on oral dosing, but they were people who had active dental disease or invasive dental procedures. In addition, I think it's mostly been seen with first-generation compounds like fosamax. I don't know that later compounds like Actonel are 100.0% guaranteed to never have this problem, but the risk for otherwise-healthy osteoporotic or osteopenic people is really really small. Considering the health benefits of bisphosphonates (hip fractures in the elderly have a high probability of ending in death) I would keep them on my list of things to consider where warranted by bone problems.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users